Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Indian food: The curry thread

Default Re: Mushroom Special

Quote Kiran View Post
    This one is called mushroom special .
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Default Lemon Rice

This is one of my favourite rice based item. It can be prepared in less than 30-45 mins.

The following recipie will cater for 2. You need...

1 cup rice (average coffee mug)
    1 Lemon
    1-tbsp finely chopped Ginger or ginger paste
    1-tbsp finely chopped garlic or garlic paste
    1 tsp coriander seeds
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    2 tbsp oil
    half-tea spoon turmeric (optional)
    three-fourths tsp salt
    quarter tsp chilli powder (The actual recipe uses chillies. You can chop up a couple of green chillies if you wish and want it a bit more spicy)

Optional : Some finely chopped coriander leaves would be great. Freshly fine grated coconut would add to the taste. If not use dessicated coconut. If using coconut/dessicated coconut you'll need about 3 tbsp of it.

Wash and set the rice to boil. When the rice is boiling, prepare the mix separately, as follows.

step 1 : Finely grate the peel of the lemon. Traditional Indian recipie does not use this but only lemon juice. But I have always found that adding finely grated lemon peels gives a very distinct flavouring.

Step 2: Put the oil in a shallow frying pan. Allow it to heat up for about 2 mins on a medium flame.

Step 3 : Now add the coriander seeds followed by cumin seeds about 10 seconds later.

Step 4: Add the ginger and garlic paste to this. Mix well. (If using chopped green chillies, add it now and fry them. If using turmeric, add it now)

Step 5: Add grated lemon to this and keep mixing.

Step 6: Add the salt. Chop the remaining lemon into half and squeeze some juice (equal to about 3 table spoons). (If using chilli powder, add it now.)

Mix well and keep aside. After the rice is boiled and is ready. Add the mix you prepared to the rice and mix throughly. It is ready. [ can be served with some yoghurt ]

If you have some coriander leaves, finely chop them and mix. Add some coconut gratings if needed.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Default Re: The South Indian recipes collection

So glad I came across this post I went to South India at the end of last year and the food was out of this world! So flavoursome and interesting!

Default Riceflour Rottis (seasoned pancakes)

Riceflour is used to prepare rottis. This is a simple dish that originates from Karnataka state in India. It is very easy to prepare and you can get creative by adding your own seasonings. The rottis look like thick pancakes. These can be served with any type of sauces or "yoghurt" dips.

You'll need

3 cups rice flour (to make about 5-6 rottis)
    half-tea-spoon chilli powder
    3 medium finely chopped onions
    2-3 finely chopped tomatoes
    Grated carrots
    4 tea spoons oil
    one-fourth tea-spoon salt

Mix the rice flour, vegetables, salt, chilli powder. Boil some water and pour it in the mix. Don't add too much water (DON'T make it watery). Just add some approximate amount of water and it can be adjusted later based on consistency required. Leave this mix aside for about 20 mins. Allow it to cool.

After it has cooled down, add the oil (4 tea spoons) and knead the mix well. The dough should not be too soft or hard. If needed adjust the consistency using water and riceflour.

Now use some grease-proof paper, apply some oil to it. Take some dough (as big as a golf ball). Place it on the paper and pat evenly till it flattens out.

Heat up a non-stick flat pan for 5 mins in medium heat. Transfer the rotti to the pan. Turn sides after 2 mins approx.

Approx heating time per rotti is 3-4 mins.

pavotrouge

Kiran, I want to say I love you. Let's get married
    I love Indian folks, and I love Indian accents. I love Indian food.

And all my omni collegueges loved your Tomato Bhath. Cheers

Good thread!There is a South Indian restaurant in Edinburgh called Ann Purna and the food from there is the best Indian food i have ever tasted!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

do you have any receipes for something like a dry cauliflower dish kiran??

RubyDuby

mmm indian food
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Hey Kiran, some great recipes there!

Any chance of a recipe for a Dosa sometime? Been craving one since the restaurant in Bristol!

Default Dry Cauliflower curry

Quote pavotrouge
    Kiran, I want to say I love you. Let's get married
    OK! You want me to be house husband who cooks, don't you?

Quote cedarblue View Post
    do you have any receipes for something like a dry cauliflower dish kiran??
    Hmmm... try this Cedar.

You'll need

1 large Cauliflower
    4 garlic cloves
    Chilli powder - one fourths teaspoon
    1 inch ginger
    Coriander leaves (half bunch)
    coriander seeds half teaspoon
    cumin seeds half tea spoon
    2 tomatoes
    1 large onion
    Bay leaves or curry leaves (curry leaves preferable)
    salt - one fourths tea spoon
    Garam masala 1 table-spoon
    2 table-spoon oil

Chop up cauliflower into large pieces and soak in some salted water. Leave it aside for 30 mins. Drain the water and if you have a steamer, steam the cauliflower for about 5-7 mins. Alternatively you can boil them, but in any case don't over cook them. Finely Chop the tomato and keep them aside.

Chop the onions, ginger and garlic and make them into a paste in a blender. Add oil to a frying pan and heat it for about 5 mins. Add the coriander seeds followed by the cumin seeds. Add the paste of onion, ginger and garlic into the oil. Mix well and roast on medium flame. Add the bay/curry leaves followed by the garm masala, chilli powder and salt. Mix well. Add the steamed cauliflower. Mix well and leave it on low heat for about 5 mins.

Remove from flame. Finely chop the coriander leaves and mix it with the curry.

Default BBC: Indian food made easy (TV show)

I have just finished watching this show and it was great. There was nothing that we could eat straight from the show, but there was one recipe that could easily be changed.

Mushroom and spinach wrap:

Ingredients
    For the spinach paste
    225g/8oz baby spinach leaves, washed
    45g/1¾oz fresh coriander, leaves and stalks
    6 large garlic cloves, peeled
    5cm/2in piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
    6 tbsp roasted and salted peanuts
    2-3 tbsp lemon juice, or to taste
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1-3 green chillies, seeds removed, roughly chopped (optional)
    For the tandoori mushrooms
    75ml/2½fl oz Greek-style yoghurt- Im guessing this can be subsituted by soy yoghurt or cream?
    1 tsp each garam masala, ground cumin, ground fennel seeds and green cardamom powder
    2 tsp crushed garlic
    1 rounded tsp grated ginger
    2 tsp gram flour
    salt, to taste
    2 tsp lemon juice
    ¼-½ tsp red chilli powder, or to taste
    2 tsp vegetable oil
    2 tbsp water
    200g/7oz Portobello mushrooms, cleaned, boiled for 15 minutes, cooled and thickly sliced
    To serve
    5 ready-made flour tortillas, wrapped in foil and placed in the oven for the last five minutes of cooking

You'll need 5-6 wooden skewers, soaked in water for half an hour
    Method
    1. For the spinach paste, place all the spinach paste ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
    2. For the tandoori mushrooms, place all the ingredients except the mushrooms into a blender and blend to a smooth paste. Add the mushrooms to the paste and leave to marinate for 20 minutes.
    3. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
    4. For the paneer, heat the oil in a large non-stick pan. Add the spinach paste and the water and cook over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes, or until the paste starts to thicken. Add the paneer and the onion and cook for another minute, or until the onion just starts to soften.
    5. Meanwhile, thread the marinated mushrooms onto skewers, place onto an oiled baking sheet and transfer to the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time. Once cooked, add the mushrooms to the paneer mixture.
    6. To serve, divide the filling into five portions and place each portion onto a warmed tortilla. Roll up and cut on the diagonal.

(I got it from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes
    /database/paneermushroomandspi_86563.shtml)

BlackCats

Default Re: BBC- Indian food made easy (tv show)

That sounds nice Christina. I started watching that show but then she started using a fish recipe so I turned over.

Default Re: BBC: Indian food made easy (tv show)

I watch all the cooking shows, even though they cook crappy meat. You pick up little tips everynow and again. Plus they mostly always have a veggie recipe in there that can be changed.

They made a really nice beetroot and something or other somosa too (I have no idea what else was in it.) It looked great, im gunna look into that.

Edit: i looked into it, and found the samosa they were talking about:

BEETROOT & COCONUT SAMOSA (V) (G) £4.95
    A South Indian style filling of diced Cheltenham beetroot blended with diced potato, tossed with freshly grated coconut and sizzled with mustard seeds, curry leaves, cumin and chilli. This may sound unusual but, when cooked with coconut, the beetroot is an entirely different beast and tastes delightful. The potato here is primarily used to hold the beetroot dices together.

From Cafe Spice.
    Last edited by Christina; Jul 9th, 2007 at 10:19 PM. Reason: found the samosa

Default Re: BBC: Indian food made easy (TV show)

I watched it too. Not much for vegetarians never mind vegans.

I even laughed when she took the vegan samosa, and used filo pastry instead to make it 'healthier', but slathered it with butter!!! rendering the only vegan item, non-vegan.

back to the drawing board.

nicola

i got a few ideas from it but thought it was a typical 'nigella wanna-be' - middle class programme. didn't care for the silly friend 'whose hobbies were shopping and eating'.

i actually quite like the chef to be addressing the camera as if they were doing the show to me and for me and not just their mates - that said i will tune in again as i love indian food

BlackCats

I know Cedarblue - how annoying were the women on that show especially her 'friend'.
    I then turned over channel and watched a bit of another drama show on ITV where one of the guys lived in an amazing glass walled home that looked like it should be in ideal homes magazine.
    I just thought - 'am I the only poor person in the UK?'

I might watch that programme as the recipes Christina posted seemed really nice but I hate when they spoil it with meat and fish. It makes me feel sick instead of hungry.

Quote pudding06 View Post
    I watched it too. Not much for vegetarians never mind vegans.

I even laughed when she took the vegan samosa, and used filo pastry instead to make it 'healthier', but slathered it with butter!!! rendering the only vegan item, non-vegan.

back to the drawing board.

nicola
    Surely that is easily replaced with a good quality vegan spread? I've never found replacing butter in pastry-type recipes to be a problem. Try not to give up so easily.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

They also had a semolina cake that looked yummy. It just needed the yoghurt replacing.. I'm going to try it and I'll post if it works.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Wow they had some even better recipes on it the other day, and they were all vegan except one i think (she used yogourt)

Slightly sweet Bengal gram lentil curry

Ingredients
    1.2 litres/2 pints water
    250g/9oz chana dhal (also called Bengal gram lentils), thoroughly cleaned
    ½ tsp ground turmeric
    1 heaped tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp garam masala
    salt, to taste
    2-3 tsp sugar
    2 tbsp mustard oil
    5 green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    5 cloves
    1cm/½in cinnamon stick
    ½ tsp brown mustard seeds
    1-2 dried red chillies
    2 dried bay leaves
    3 heaped tbsp flaked or desiccated coconut or ¼ small fresh coconut, flesh chopped into small cubes

Method
    1. Heat the water, lentils and turmeric in a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for about an hour, or until soft. If necessary, add a bit of extra water.
    2. Stir in the coriander, garam masala, salt and sugar, to taste. Cook until the lentils are completely soft and beginning to break up.
    3. Heat the oil in a small pan. Fry the cardamom pods, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, mustard seeds, chillies and bay leaves for 30 seconds. (Be careful as the seeds may pop a bit.) Add the coconut and stir until it turns golden-brown.
    4. To serve, stir the spice mix into the lentils and divide among four serving plates.

Southern Indian mixed vegetable dish

Ingredients
    2½ tbsp vegetable oil
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    ½ medium onion, sliced
    1-2 green chillies, sliced in half lengthwise
    ¾ tsp ground turmeric
    salt, to taste
    2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
    2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
    ½ cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeds removed, chopped into 1cm/½in pieces
    100g/3½oz green beans, topped, tailed and chopped into thirds
    50g/2oz shallots, peeled and halved
    10g/½oz fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
    60g/2½oz desiccated coconut, soaked in water to just cover
    2 small handfuls frozen peas
    12 fresh or dried curry leaves
    5-6 tbsp plain yoghurt
    1 tbsp coconut oil (optional)

Method
    1. Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan. Add the cumin, onion and chillies and cook until the onions are soft and beginning to colour.
    2. When the onions are cooked, stir in the turmeric, salt, carrots and potatoes. Cover the pan and cook over a low heat, stirring often. If necessary, add a splash of water to prevent the vegetables from burning.
    3. After about 15 minutes, add the cucumber and beans. Cover the pan again and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
    4. Meanwhile, place the shallots, ginger and coconut (complete with its soaking liquid) into a blender. Blend to a fine paste before adding to the pan, along with the peas. Cook for a further five minutes, stirring thoroughly. Tear the curry leaves into the pan and stir in the yoghurt.
    5. To serve, take the pan off the heat and pour the coconut oil over the vegetables, if using. Spoon the mixture on to six serving plates and serve with basmati rice.

Creamy lentil and rice dish (khicheri)

ingredients

35g/1¼oz white or brown basmati rice, washed in several changes of water
    35g/1¼oz mung beans, split and husks removed (or husks left on if using brown rice)
    1 rounded tsp ghee (maybe use some kind of oil instead)
    ½ tsp cumin seeds
    ½ small onion, chopped
    1 green chilli, whole (optional)
    ½ tsp chopped fresh ginger
    ½ garlic clove
    salt, to taste
    ¼ tsp ground turmeric
    400ml/14fl oz water (or 500ml/17fl oz if using brown rice)
    ¼ tsp garam masala
    ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
    Method
    1. Soak the rice and lentils in a large pan of water for 30 minutes.
    2. In a large non-stick saucepan melt the ghee. Add the cumin and fry for 20 seconds, until the seeds have coloured and their aroma has been released. Stir in the onion and cook until softened.
    3. When the onion has cooked, add the chilli, ginger, garlic and salt and cook for a minute before adding the drained rice, lentils, turmeric and water. Bring to the boil briefly before lowering the heat and simmering gently until the rice and lentils are tender. This should take approximately 20 minutes. (If using brown rice, follow the same method, cooking the rice and lentils for 40 minutes with a little additional water.)
    4. Once tender, stir in the garam masala and freshly ground black pepper and serve.

i watched that episode, and although i found her style irritating (it seemed they'd told her to be the "Indian Nigella Lawson"), the food looked and sounded delicious.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

we're trying the bengal gram curry this saturday with kiran's lemon rice dish!

she is irritating and rather know-it-all (well, maybe she does!) too

Thank you for posting these, Christina - now we can try the food without having to be irritated by the programme

I have substituted soya yoghurt for dairy yoghurt before - it usually works fine but it may be worth adding a drop of lemon juice as it's less sharp. Also you have to add it to hot dishes at the last minute to avoid it separating/curdling but IIRC that's true of the dairy one too.

Haha ill be happy to post them to save you the the horror of the show!! I just love looking at the food, ill put up with mostly anything if foods involved

Im going to try the creamy lentil dish over the weekend.

Also im going to check out kirans lemon rice, that sounds amazing.

Do you have a sambar recipe? I LOVE sambar!!

see 'what did you eat today' thread for my curry using kiran's lemon rice recipe - kiran, that lemon rice was absolutely fantastic!! gold stars to you

Thumbs up Re: The South Indian recipes collection

Hello

I own and run a South Indian restaurant so this thread is great. BTW I am from Bangalore and we don't as a rule use Garam Masala in foods at all. This particular blend of spice is of North Indian origin and purist South Indians would not use it. We have a different set of spices- usually lentil based and therefore very nutritious. But hey, if GM tastes good - thats great but it is not S Indian.

Purple, you asked for a Dosa recipe. Here it is. It is quite tricky to make it as the natural yeast in the lentil must reach a certain temp to grow. We make it so I am sure you can. You need a good blender though.

3 Cups of Rice- long grain
    1 cup of Urad Dhal- ( Indian shops will sell this- it is small and cream in colour)
    1 small handful of Thoor Dhal.

Soak the above overnight with plenty of water and leave in a warm place. The following morning blend all three to a fine smooth paste using enough water. Put the batter in a large bowl. Add a teaspoon of salt.

Leave it for at least 7 hours, in a warm place. Mix well. The batter should have fermented and become light and slightly fluffy.

To make the Dosai:
    Heat a flat iron griddle or a non stick frying pan. Try to find a thick bottomed griddle/ pan. let the pan get very hot. Then turn it down to medium heat. Spoon a large spoon of batter in the middle. Swirl to circle quickly before it hardens. Wait till the underside is brown. Flip once. Viola.

If you want a recipe for Coconut Chutney or the Potato Palya that goes with it, let me know.

There are some amazing combinations of this using onions, cabbage etc. So experiment and have fun.

I want to make a mango chutney. Any one know how? I love the ones that are super sweet and the mangoes big chunky and pretty chewy....MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Oh and i want a spinach curry recipie too. Lol. Not too demanding, I hope?
    If i keep a green bough in my heart my singing bird will come.

Thanks to thetiffinroom for the dosa recipe.

I have been receiving many queries about recipes and I will post them here when I get the time. Sorry, it has been manic and I have'nt had the time to respond.

see 'what did you eat today' thread for my curry using kiran's lemon rice recipe - kiran, that lemon rice was absolutely fantastic!! gold stars to you
    Thanks cedar!

Do you have a sambar recipe? I LOVE sambar!!
    Yes I do. I will post it here tomorrow when I get the time. For making sambar from scratch, you'll have to make a shopping trip to an Asian or continental supermarket. This is to make the sambar masala. You can make it in bulk and store it away to make instant sambar anytime.

i have a fresh mango salsa recipe if anyone wants - its not really an indian recipe but i guess you can add some spices to it - will post later.

MMMMMMMMMMMm please do.
    If i keep a green bough in my heart my singing bird will come.

Quote thetiffinroom View Post
    H
    If you want a recipe for Coconut Chutney or the Potato Palya that goes with it, let me know.
    Yes, please.

Default Coconut Chutney

Coconut Chutney will go with Dosas (See recipe a few posts above).

You need...

1 coconut
    3 table spoons of gram dhal (available from Asian shops)
    1 green chilli (maybe 2 if you need it spicy)
    half table-spoon mustard seeds
    2 table-spoons oil
    one-fourths tea spoon salt
    one-fourths table spoon asafoetida powder (optional)

Chop the chillies.

Heat oil in a frying pan. When Oil is hot add mustard, asafoetida and gram dhal. Roast on medium flame till gram dhal turns brown. Now transfer this to a blender.

Add chunks of coconut, chillies and salt into the blender (along with the mixture made above) and blend them all together. Add water based on the desired consistency (it is not supposed to be like a paste). Transfer this to a bowl. It is now ready to be served.

This can also be served with lemon rice, tomato bhath etc. Most south-Indians stricty use coconut chutney with dosas, but I like it even with rice.

Purple, you asked for a Dosa recipe. Here it is. It is quite tricky to make it as the natural yeast in the lentil must reach a certain temp to grow. We make it so I am sure you can. You need a good blender though.
    Thank you very very much! Sorry for just seeing this, was on holiday. It's good to know that Dosa's are vegan, that nothing else had to be substituted. Means when I do my india trip I should be okay (or will they all fry it in ghee?)

Wow that sounds amazing, yes please

Thanks again!

Dosas are alaways made in Vegetable Oil

Thumbs up Anyone have a curry soup recipe?

im craving soup and also curry and i was thinking, maybe i could put them together and make some kind of curry soup.

so i wanted to know if any of you happened to have one!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

animaladvocate

Default Re: Anyone have a curry soup recipe?

Curried Lentil Soup With Mushrooms

2 chopped onions
    3 cloves of crushed garlic
    2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
    2 cups of chopped mushrooms
    half a teaspoon of ground coriander
    half a teaspoon of turmeric
    half a teaspoon of ground cumin
    half a teaspoon of ground ginger
    (or a tablespoon of curry powder)
    1 cup of red lentils
    4 cups of water
    quarter of a cup of creamed coconut
    salt n pepper

heat oil in saucepan and saute onion and garlic and saute for a few minutes.
    add mushrooms and cook for few minutes longer.
    stir in spices and cook for further couple of minutes then add lentils and water and a pinch of salt.
    bring to boil then lower heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
    chop coconut and stir into the pan.add salt n pepper if required.
    Enjoy!

Mm, that sounds yum.

I make a similar soup with cauliflower instead of mushrooms, which is nice with a squeeze of lemon.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I think I'd probably just make potato and onion soup but add some curry powder.

thanks animal and twinkle!

risker i was thinking of doing the same. with some veggies thrown in and some potatoes and curry. yummmm.

I sometimes make lentil soup, but put tandoori masala in whilst it's cooking. Then when most the water has gone, turn the heat low and add some soya milk, then blend it up

Sometimes if I have some left over stews etc that I'm bored of eating (including curry) I just add water and blend it into a soup.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

If you want to increase the protein content of lentil soup add some texturized vegetable protein and a little brown rice or quinoa at the same time as you add the lentils.
    For a huge choice of curried lentil soup recipes just google lentil dahl.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

thanks everyone. all of your ideas sound great

herb, i forgot about tvp. i used to get it all the time. thanks

I'm glad you asked this question foxytina, i've got inspiration from reading this thread. I've got plenty of veg, spices and some creamed coconut, so now i know what i'll be eating tommorrow!

mmmm curried carrot soup...

my favorite!

i couldnt find my normal recipe... but this seems similar, from memory

http://www.therecipebox.com/members/...up/sou0246.htm
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

great furrytips, do share with us how it turned out.

jj thanks for the link. it looks delicious. i adore carrots. what a nice combination.

It was really good foxytina, spicy, coconutty soup will be a regular from now on.
    I fried chopped garlic and curry powder for a minute in oil, then added water and sliced vegetables (carrots, cabbage, spring onions and sweetcorn) When the veg were cooked (10 mins), i stirred in some soy sauce and coconut cream. Yum
    Next time i will add extras like beansprouts,mushrooms, root ginger or maybe some fried tofu

animaladvocate

Quote animaladvocate View Post
    Curried Lentil Soup With Mushrooms

2 chopped onions
    3 cloves of crushed garlic
    2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
    2 cups of chopped mushrooms
    half a teaspoon of ground coriander
    half a teaspoon of turmeric
    half a teaspoon of ground cumin
    half a teaspoon of ground ginger
    (or a tablespoon of curry powder)
    1 cup of red lentils
    4 cups of water
    quarter of a cup of creamed coconut
    salt n pepper

heat oil in saucepan and saute onion and garlic and saute for a few minutes.
    add mushrooms and cook for few minutes longer.
    stir in spices and cook for further couple of minutes then add lentils and water and a pinch of salt.
    bring to boil then lower heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
    chop coconut and stir into the pan.add salt n pepper if required.
    Enjoy!
    Haven't had this for forever.Just making it now for a late dinner.Yum!

sugarmouse

All I do for curry soup is blend cooked butternut squash and sweet potato in a processor with soy milk, add to a pan of hot vegetable stock,add soy cream or milk ,as much mild curry powder as needed for taste preferance, more stock dependent on how funny/sloppy you like your soup and season with fresh coriander. Ta Da!!
    One of my faves it reeally warms you up does curry soup.

Default chick pea, tomato, carrot and lentil curry

Made this up yesterday. Very nice. Serves 4 or 5.

Ingredients:

pre-cooked chick peas equivalent to about 3 tins;
    1 tablespoon brown or puy lentils;
    1 tablespoon red split lentils;
    1 tin tomatoes;
    2 large carrots,chopped;
    1 onion, chopped;
    1 teaspoon (tsp) chilli powder;
    1 tsp ginger powder;
    1 tsp garam masala powder;
    1 tsp cumin powder;
    1 tsp coriander powder;
    1 tsp turmeric;
    salt;
    1 tablespoon sunflower oil
    water

soak the chick peas 24 hours and cook them until soft or use tinned ones.

fry the onion in oil in a big pot until clarified and add spices and fry a little more, adding water if required.

Add the lentils, chopped carrots, chick peas and plenty of water (at least 500 ml), cover and simmer until the lentils are soft, checking occasionally to see if it has not dried out.

Add the tomatoes and more water if required, cover again and simmer for about an hour until the desired consistency is achieved.

Add salt to taste.

Serve with brown rice or sweet potatoes.

This is ok to freeze leftovers or re-heat the next day.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/