View Poll Results: Do you have more/less energy now than you had when you were eating animal products?

Voters
203. You may not vote on this poll
  • More energy

128 63.05%
  • Less energy

22 10.84%
  • No change

53 26.11%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: More / less energy on a vegan diet?

Default Re: Fatigued/Low Energy

Good luck with you blood tests Lulu?

Can you change doctors if you usual one isnt very good? Its a real struggle if you aren't feeling well and your doctor is unhelpful!

I have M.E. (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) following a viral infection of Epstien Barr Virus (sp?) this has left me with a damaged immune system and very lacking in energy.

If all your blood test for iron, thyroid etc come back normal, I would ask you doctor to test you for signs of a viral infection? It is really important to rest if you are recovering from a virus as forcing yourself to do to much can make things worse.

I didnt realise I had suffered a serious viral infection (just thought I had a cold! lol!) and I carried on working and made myself very ill.

I find fresh fruit & vegetable juices help me as they are full of nutrients and easy to digest. Good luck with everything. I hope you feel much better soon. x

nervine

Default Re: Fatigued/Low Energy

Quote lulu View Post
    hey all,
    have been looking around here a bit, and wondering if anybody has any thoughts on being tired all of the time...
    i've been vegan for about 4 years now, and this fatigue seems to be new-ish.
    i think i eat decent enough and take a daily multi vitamin, as well as get my iron checked every 6 months (its great).
    i'm not sure where my b12 is at, but i have protein supplement and fortified soymilk almost every day.
    the problem is that i am tired all of the time. not sleepy tired, though, just energyless (hope that makes sense).
    its summer and beautiful, and usually i want to get outside, but lately all i want to do is curl up and nap and not even bother going for a walk.
    any ideas?
    Throw away your multivitamins and protein supplement. The 'vitamins' in vitamin supplements have been processed into chemicals and therefore are useless for your body. Same with the protein supplement. They don't contain any enzymes, vitamins or minerals which are desperately needed to digest them so your body has to use it's reserves and I think that's part of why you feel tired all the time. Eat alot of raw fruit and veg. 85% of your diet should be raw fruit and veg. Its very important to eat raw because vitamins and minerals have been destroyed in cooked and canned veggies. Have a smoothie as breakfast everymorning. Get a good blender and make them yourself. They're liquid gold. Look up Jason Vale. Give it a try.

Also read this: http://thedoctorwithin.com/index_fr...._longevity.php

Quote lulu View Post

the thing about where i live is that the doctors are not very good... strange to say, but its true. anyway.
    It's really not a strange thing to say.. Most doctors don't know what they are doing. Think about it. They go to universities sponsored by big pharmacists. If they would know what they were doing then people would need a hell of a lot less medicin and the corporations would lose out. It is essential for them to keep doctors stupid and turn them into drugprescribing loonatics while if everyone would be on 85% raw diet there would be so much less illness.

Default Re: More / less energy on a vegan diet?

I can't answer very accurately, other health issues are sucking the energy right out of me.

Question Lack of energy

Hi,

I've been a vegetarian for about 3 years and never had any problems. I decided to go vegan about 3-4 weeks ago and have been increasingly tired ever since. I feel sleepy throughout the day and have no eneryg at all.

I'm a bit unsure of what I should be taking vitamin-wise. I think I need to start taking a multivitamin that includes B12 and D vitamins, plus some flax seeds or flax seed oil for healthy joints. I was thinking maybe some extra iron supplement for the lack of energy but I'm not entirely sure this is the real cause.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of lack of energy in a vegan diet and what I should be eating more of to counteract it, and also, which supplements I should be aiming for?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Korn; Dec 10th, 2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Lack of energy

Are you eating enough calories?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Stu

Sounds like it could be a lack of iron. Try eating plenty of dark green stuff, like broccoli or spinach, and see if you notice any difference.

Perhaps the most important general rule, is that you should try to keep your diet varied. Do you tend to eat the same things all the time?

Also about the iron supplement, I heard from several places (on the net and on TV) that you shouldn't take iron supplements without the recommendation from your doctor (after he/she has done a blood test and knows you are low in iron). I think iron is one of those things that you can overdose on and too much can make you nauseas as well.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm getting too many calories, in fact! I eat LOADS!! No problems there!

Hi Stu,
    Yep, I try to keep it as varied as possible. I have 5 smaller meals a day instead of 3 big meals. I make different soups, like mexican bean, chinese soup. I don't think I eat enough greens, though... there's only so much spinach I can face! Is there any other iron rich foods, other than spinach and brocolli??

Maybe since you've changed your diet you've started eating a higher proportion of carbs to protein than you're used to? I believe carbs can make you feel sleepy.

Have you thought about using an online food tracker (like fitday or something - not that I've actually used it, but I know a lot of people do)?

you might be onto something with the vitamin d thing as well, especially given the time of year - most margarines are fortified with it though, in fact I think they have to be by law.

Just checking out the diet tracker thingy now. I tried daily diet tracker and that wasn't very good. It kept telling me to stop eating the good stuff like fruit and veg and telling me to eat meat! Lol. I'll see if this one's any better!

Have you looked here, red7?

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/

It tells you about sources of iron and other nutrients.

Like twinkle I thought about carbohydrates. If I eat a carbohydrate-heavy meal I nod off straight away, so I try to make sure I have a protein source like nuts etc with each meal. I would have thought an actual nutrient deficiency would take longer to become apparent.

Hmm, well I just checked my daily stats for my intake and I'm hitting all my targets, other than Calcium, Iron and Vitamin D! Cheers, twinkle, it's much better than the other site! That link's pretty useful too, Harpy. I'll have to up my intakes and see if it makes a difference.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    Also about the iron supplement, I heard from several places (on the net and on TV) that you shouldn't take iron supplements without the recommendation from your doctor (after he/she has done a blood test and knows you are low in iron). I think iron is one of those things that you can overdose on and too much can make you nauseas as well.
    They will make most people constipated if they take them and they don't need them.
    As Tigerlily says, they can be harmful if you don't need them. Constipation is the least of it.
    Women need extra iron because of periods. Lets be frank here.
    But supplements are not always necessary. There are many good vegan sources of iron.
    If you lose a lot of blood you may need a simple blood test to check if you are anaeimic.
    Our bodies store iron as well as circulate it in blood, so your iron stores may be low.
    Maybe you could join the "What did you eat today?" thread and we can see if you are eating the right sort of thing. But if you feel unwell go and have the blood test for anaemia.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I thought I was in a way safeguarded against anemia because I don't menstruate - not so!!! My last blood tests showed I am slightly anemic. But I know i don't eat enough leafy greens - my New Years Resolution! And when I do eat lots of them I know I feel more energised. But yeah, I'm not wild about spinach either, or any of the leafy greens for that matter

Fiamma, lentils and other beans are also good sources of iron too.

Everyone burns up iron, and has daily needs, but menstruating and pregnant women have higher needs. Beans and dried apricots are also good sources of iron.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Thanks guys

Quote fiamma View Post
    I'm not wild about spinach either, or any of the leafy greens for that matter
    Pumpkin seeds are good too. I think you need vit C to help absorption (like with calcium). Spinach is not as good as people used to think (something to do with not absorbing it well...see here).
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

yes rw, iron and vit c should be consumed together if poss to help the body absorb both nutrients. kale is a better source of iron than spinach i think.

i made a lovely kale dish the other day, i'll post a photo of it i took with the recipe soon.

I love kale, but for some strange reason there is no kale at the market or in the supermarkets. Last time I saw kale was when visiting Vegan Voice where Sienna and Max grow it with all the other lovely vegies in their garden. I wonder if it will grow in a pot?
    Eve

I have seen kale growing in pots at the local green house (where my mom often gets her tomatoes from)!

"Thanks Tigerlily, I'll ask at the nursery today.
    Eve

Yay!

PainterLady

Alacer Emergencee drinks always give me lots of energy and make me feel refreshed. Thye have lots of vitamins and the strawberry flavor is awesome. I always use two packets per cup.

I've been vegan about three weeks, give or take an accidental ingestion of whey in a cereal. Anyway, I am having the lack of energy thing too. And lightheadedness. Rather than letting it go on for long I have an appointment with a naturopathic physician on Monday. If y'all want a report I'll be happy tp let you know how that goes.

definitely loads more energy!
    i sleep a lot, but that's for other reasons....but there's been no change with my sleeping habits with eating meat/being veggie/vegan. when i am awake now though, the world should watch out!!

Quote Emam View Post
    Been vegan only about fifty days so a bit early to tell. Also take anti depressants which cause fatigue so doubt if being vegan will make a difference to my energy levels.
    yes, i am on a lot of medication too which really cause fatigue...but i imagine that on a vegan diet, even despite the medication, you will feel much healthier and full of vitality!

I answered "No Difference," but my husband says I have alot more energy than before. That may or may not be because with the loss of 75lbs of excess me... but I lost that after going vegan. Indirectly more?
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

hmmm. i wonder if the 'less energy' 'no change' people are the same people that voted that they eat 'less varied foods' or 'stayed the same'

its totally unheard of to switch from omni/vegetarian to vegan without gaining energy and losing fat weight. once you cut the artery clogging animal fat and cancer causing animal proteins out of your diet, you need to replace them with a balanced vegan diet. please do your research, its not difficult or expensive. in fact: there is no tofu, soy, or fake meat in the vegan food groups. just vegetables, whole grains, legumes, fruit, and stuff. lots and LOTS of STUFF!! HA!

i browse a lot, if i'm working late or hard i have a bag of mixed nuts or trail mix to keep my energy levels up. otherwise i do get energy troughs. otherwise i can work like a horse and eat like one. i don't have less strength or less endurance, if anything they are much greater....

Default Fatigue

My boyfriend and I have been vegan since January, and most aspects of the new diet/lifestyle change have gone perfectly. However, in the past couple of weeks, both of us have been feeling more tired than usual, having less energy, and falling asleep much earlier than normal. We both love to eat and are definitely eating enough, but my concern is that we're not getting a good balance of all the foods that we need. We both take a multivitamin and B-12, and I take additional calcium.

Does anyone know if the fatigue could be related to diet, and if so, how can we make sure we're getting the right amounts of the right kinds of foods? THANK YOU!
    Last edited by flutterby; Aug 2nd, 2007 at 08:49 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Default Re: Fatigue

Various things can make you feel tired, e.g. lack of iron, and not enough calories but you've ruled that out.

Personally I tend to feel a bit feeble if I don't eat a protein-rich food such as beans or nuts at every meal but some people will tell you that's all in my mind Worth a try anyway. Eating protein and fat does tend to mean that the energy in the meal is burned more gradually so there may be something in it.

This may be worth a read if you haven't already:

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/

Mind you it isn't necessarily anything to do with diet - most of us have the odd patch without much oomph

Default Re: Fatigue

maybe youre coming down with something...

if youre eating a varied whole foods diet, you shouldnt even have to worry about a dietary source of the fatigue.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Default Energy

despite my best efforts to eat well, i'm beginning to realize, and admit to myself, that i have a severe lack of energy.

my boyfriend, an omni, says its my diet, though he also acknowledges my efforts to eat healthfully and varied.

i dont consider myself a lazy person--i'm a full-time student and i work very hard--but my behavior, lately, is starting to suggest otherwise. i'm tired of being so tired all the time !!

i'm thinking of getting a blood test done to check for deficiencies, but wanted to check in here to see if anyone had any idea of what my problem might be and / or provide any suggestions as to what i can do to help myself ...

thanks
    Last edited by Korn; Dec 10th, 2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Energy

Be sure that you are getting enough iron in your diet. A blood test will help determine this.

Quite often, I feel tired and sluggish if I have eaten too much sugary foods, or foods high in fat content.

I think it's wise to see the doctor to have the tests done though.

I am feeling very fatigued lately as well, and I've been researching a couple of things. Obviously, the first thing is iron for women. I have always been anemic, but I think there are must be other causes. Sleep problems are on obvious but sometimes overlooked reason for low energy. Also, I think getting tested for thyroid problems could be a good idea. I've heard of a lot of women lately having underactive thyroids who don't have many symptoms other than tiredness and fatigue. I think keeping your stress levels in check could be really beneficial. I mean, have too much on your plate only makes it harder for your body to fight off fatigue or illness. I hope you feel better!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Oh and if this is really bad fatigue for a longer time period, I'd suggest reading this site and then talking to your doctor. It's very self-explanatory and has lots of really good links to articles and websites. They actually advocate the vegan and raw diets, so I love the site.

I agree that low iron levels can cause fatigue, and can develop easily in menstruating women even if you have a reasonably good diet. Another cause of fatigue could be not eating enough calories overall.

Iron iron iron.

Cereals, fortified grains, and pasta (fortified) all have plenty of iron. So do leafy greens like kale. It can take a month for your energy levels to go back up if its iron.
    context is everything

I think iron is often a culprit but I don't think you should just assume it is. I have always been anemic and have fluctuating energy levels, sometimes I feel fine, others I feel like utter crap... I think there are a lot of possibilities, I'd suggest seeing a dr.

thank you everybody !!

its why i love his forum--everyone is so kind and helpful

yes, i have been thinking iron might be at least part of the problem. someone once told me that if the tissue around your eye (that is, if you pull the bottom lid down and look at the tissue) is more white than pink, then there's an iron deficiency. i just checked and mine is lacking in the pink tones......

i eat fortified cereal and lots of greens, though i guess not enough.
    i tend to feel full rather quickly/easily, and perhaps its cheating me of nutrients without me even realizing it ........

do you supplument b12???

low b12 levels can also leave you feeling pretty drained!

i take this:

http://www.freedavitamins.com/mercha...Category_Code=

its also got iron & other energy boosters!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Are you eating vitamin C at the same time as you eat iron? If you're not your body won't be absorbing the iron properly. Remember that heat kills vitamins C, so try to have some raw, vitamin C rich food with your meals.

Quote Roxy View Post
    Quite often, I feel tired and sluggish if I have eaten too much sugary foods, or foods high in fat content.
    I find this too. Its annoying.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

steven1222

Yes, too much fat or sugar makes me tired for up to 24 hours after eating it. I like to think of that as the body's warning against eating such useless Calories.

RebeccaDye

I'm lacking in iron which you might be.
    I have to take Iron pills which have vitamin C in too, to help the Iron absorption.

(My friends and family are trying to make me revert back to vegetarianism because of it )

Tell them that reverting to lacto-ovo vegetarianism wouldn't help your iron deficiency at all. Dairy is high in calories and very low in iron, so therefore just about the worst thing you can eat when you're low in iron and whilst eggs do contain some iron they're not an especially rich source and they contain the same sort of iron (non-haem) as is found in vegetables.

Quote steven1222 View Post
    Yes, too much fat or sugar makes me tired for up to 24 hours after eating it. I like to think of that as the body's warning against eating such useless Calories.

It's like a sugar hangover really isn't it. Do you get tired, sluggish and find it hard to concentrate or focus?