View Poll Results: How has the change to a vegan diet affected you?

Voters
646. You may not vote on this poll
  • My health and/or sense of well-being is strongly reduced

15 2.32%
  • My health and/or sense of well-being is a little reduced

19 2.94%
  • No change

63 9.75%
  • My health and/or sense of well-being has improved a little

146 22.60%
  • My health and/or sense of well-being has improved a lot

403 62.38%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: How has the change to a vegan diet affected you?

Default Re: How has the change to a vegan diet affected you?

I don't like Kale or spinach or any dark leafy greens. Or eating. I can't eat many nuts or beans cause I have IBS so when I eat them it's excruciatingly uncomfortable or painful. I can't eat fake meats or seitan or bread or a lot of other grains because I'm allergic to it. I also can't eat tomatoes (a total staple in recipes), potatoes (another staple), eggplant, peppers, chilis and on and on the list goes. *sigh*.

So I basically live off air and water. This is probably why I desperately try to prop myself up on B complex and iron pills and feel weak and shitty and tired and EXTREMELY cold all the time.

Sarabi: Same here! It's amazing how many people just don't have vegan in their vocabulary and when you try and explain they think you are actually joking. And then once they realize you aren't, they think you're overally emotional, ignorant about nutrition and the world and get angry or just laugh. I have had so many people just ask me to convert because I'm being "difficult". I also get so many people challenging me. So I just keep it quite now and pretend that I don't eat things due to allergies to meat and dairy. The worst part is at restaurants when people don't speak fluent english.

"Is there milk in this?"
    "milk? oh....uh...yes yes milk is here, I bring you milk"
    "No, is there milk IN this recipe?"
    "Yes, yes, hold on, I bring milk"

*ARRRGHHHHHHHHH

Then you have people who try and trick you and bring you food that is "vegan" and when you ask again there is magically non vegan items in it all of a sudden. *amazing*

And then there is just people who go on and on about how much they love steak and would go and kill things for the fun of it just to upset you when all you said was, "I'm vegan".

Hi Nyx,

I can relate. I have food intolerance to wheat, soy, carrots, fruit, yeast, alcohol, garlic, onion, beans, nuts,... They cause itch, diarroeha, sleeplesness,...All I can eat is rice and some very well cooked or steamed vegetables. I guess we are in the same boat.
    I have tried everything without any result, but I keep searching...
    I also find eating out as a vegan difficult. The more of us, the more vegan options will become available. When I first was a vegetarian about 16 years ago there were no veggie burgers or spreads, unless you went to a small bioshop in the city , where you had a couple of tasteless things. Now it is readily available in every supermarket.

Quote foxytina_69 View Post
    my asthma is basically gone, my bones dont ache, my nose isnt sniffly and sneezy 24 hours a day, my allergies have gone down significantly, my skin glows, and i can wake up in the morning without feeling horrible.

Aww Wendy, sorry to hear that That REALLY sucks!

I have a food blog that's gluten free and almost sugarcane free, it might however have things you can't have but I always think there is an alternative method to making everything so if you like any recipes but can't have it for some reason, let me know and we'll figure it out

www.feedingthekat.wordpress.com

Question Re: How has the change to a vegan diet affected you?

So far so good but it's too early to tell.
    I'm learning to bake really yummy stuff so that's great.
    And I love veganizing traditional recipes so I still feel like I'm eating
    pretty regular food .

But a couple of things have been puzzling me.

Been a vegetarian 12 years. Not a problem. I almost never ever
    had gas. Flatulence wasn't an issue.

2-3 weeks a vegan and "gas production" has been mad.
    Where does it come from ?

Also, I use the toilet much more often so I worry I'm going to lose
    weight and I'm thin already.

I'd just like to know :

1. WHAT is it about being vegan that makes such a drastic difference ?

2. Does it get better with time (for those who didn't have this problem before) ? I mean, could it just be a transition issue?

3. I also had mild stomach cramps. Again, something I NEVER had before. I wonder if it could be all the soy I'm taking and that I NEVER drank when i was a vegetarian. How do you find out if you can't tolerate soy ?

Or could it be again just part of the transition ?

Thank you...

I think it could be that you are adjusting to a better diet. Cutting out dairy can give withdrawel symptoms. You should stop eating all soy for a few days and see if your symptoms better. Then reintroduce the soy and see if your symptoms come back. Then you know if soy is the culprit. You can use rice milk, oatmilk,...
    But how long have you been a vegan, because it can cost your body some time to adjust to the different food.
    Good luck!

I think Wendy is right and agree on both possible transition but keeping an eye on the soy.

I also have heard that using soaked beans (from dry), so soaking them overnight as opposed to using canned ones will greatly reduce the amount of gas they produce.

Also, how much processed food are you eating? Watch your intake of these (fake meats, dairy alternatives, etc) because they can cause indigestion (I believe carageenan can be a culprit as well) which is found in a lot of fake meats as a binder/thickener.

I have always had IBS well before being even vegetarian let alone vegan and haven't noticed much difference.

Watch your nut intake as well. Nuts can cause digestion probs.

Hope that helps.

songlife

I used to always get sick, and I HAVE NOT GOTTEN SICK SINCE GOING VEGAN, WELL OVER A YEAR AGO!!!

I went vegan for ethics, not for health reasons, but I am also a health nut and an athlete so I am pleasantly surprised with the improvements in my health. I expect to live much longer now that I am vegan, since my immune system seems to be far superior to what it was before. I think something non-vegan that I was eating was stopping my immune system from working properly.

I don't know if this makes any difference, but I don't eat soy and don't consume much gluten. I also make easy things like raw cashew "cheese" with nutritional yeast, as opposed to eating processed store-bought rice or soy "cheese" (which I understand somtimes has casein in it).

I think the people who experience drops in their health when they go vegan are just not doing it right. Maybe they are only eating soy products and lettuce or something!

I also believe that it's not about blood types and stuff. If you are of a certain blood type that evidently doesn't work out with veganism, find out exactly WHICH nutrient you need more than other people, and then find the vegan sources for that nutrient, instead of immediately going back to omnivorism.

Veggie for 20 years, went vegan 6/7 months ago. My health has been rubbish. But I actually thinkit is because I was trying to get a lot of my energy intake from soya milk - up to two litres a day. My T4 thyroid test results have drooed lower each of the 3 times I was tested, I am anaemic, my skin is very spotty, and my periods have become so painful I was taking co-dydramol!!! All these things have been linked to excessive soy, and coupled with the fact that my diet wasn't varied enough apart from this.
    I have posted in a couple other forums because I wanted to see if other people have had similar experiences. So sorry if I am irritating anyone by popping up everywhere!!
    Thankfully, my GP is lovely - very supportive of my veganism and gives helpful advice. So I have switched to rice/oat milk, and am eating different stuff and paying attention to protein, etc. Also taking kelp for iodine. I really want to be a good advert for my beliefs, not someone that puts would-be vegans off 'cause I am such a wreck!
    Last edited by pinksheep; Jan 24th, 2009 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Forgot to say something!

Do you have enough vit B12 and vit D?
    Maybe you could read "Becoming vegan" from Davis Melina

Hi Wendy, Apparently my B12 is fine. I have no idea about the D.....Anyway, thanks for the book tip - I will look on Amazon. Guess I thought it would be much easier to be healthy than it is, but I guess in time I will learn!!

Best unexpected thing was my excema clearing up!

Also I rarely get so much as a sniffle, even when those all around me are getting miserable with colds and the like.

I've just realised that I have not taken a day off sick in almost a year. I put that down to being vegan All of my work colleagues have had time off sick this year alone

^ Me too! It allows me to take sick days when I'm not sick I mean, they expect you to get sick once in a while so why not use it to your advantage
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I haven't been vegan ong enough to notice long-term changes, but so far the short-term benefits for me are clearer sinuses and more frequent/healthier digestion (to put it politely) despite my previous digestive habits were very good.

After only 3 weeks I'm already feeling healthier and fitter (I used to be very tired every day, not anymore though).

rxseeeyse

my improved a little, I think the main reason it didn't improve a lot is because I don't eat enough with vegan diet, well, it's not like I eat enough when I was not vegan though lol. yep, need to eat more!!

When i was a meat eater i was always underweight, but since turning vegan i'm a heavy weight, and have finally filled out a bit as now i have the energy to exercise regularly.

I have notived excess weight has gone without me having to worry about dieting. Apparently others have noticed an improvement in my skin. This was confirmed last week when a girl who I got chatting to at the gym (who turned out to be mid twenties like me) presumed I was "A 16 year old school leaver". Best. Moment. Ever.For. Self. Esteem. *smugsmugsmug*

Generally I feel a lot better in myself and have become far more 'in tune' with my own body especially with things like cramps, headaches etc which previously I would have j I ust coped with now I know what I have done to cause this feeling and what I need to change to sort it out..even if its just a big glass of water or a piece of fruit.

xxx

compliments are nice, however random, my nan recently remarked that i now have shoulders.

Switching to a vegan diet wasn't easy with a family of omnivores, since I live at home. I became vegan after being vegetarian for about a year and 6 months. I did it for health reasons, but the ethical reasons are obvious, they are just not what made me switch.

I dropped from the 140-145 lbs I had been since becoming a vegetarian (which dropped from 150), to 128 this summer (I am 5'8 1/2). Personally all this weight loss was junk from inside and I lost quite a bit of body fat. I put on muscle though, the vegan diet has made me so active and confident physically, my muscle over all is much more defined and I'm much stronger than i was on any other diet. (I do eat cleaner than ever too though, but that can't really be done on a non-vegan diet anyway)

Other than my physical shape improving, my mind is very clear, and it's really obvious that my whole system is very clean. I've never experienced any deficiencies in two years of being vegetarian and seven months of being vegan. The only supplement I take is a B vitamin and simply to make sure that I am getting those, not because the diet can't supply them, but because I can't always count on me eating things that do. As far as leather shoes and things like that, all leather things I have (maybe my two pairs of shoes, my wallet, and my belt) are from either before I was even vegetarian or right after. I don't purchase anything animal based or derived. I will not throw out clothes and items I have that are leather and such, simply because the wasting of them, in my mind, is less "vegan" than keeping them.

Anyway all in all, I am fully behind the vegan diet and the vegan way of life, I tell my friends whenever it comes up that becoming vegan is the only way to truly make a difference for yourself and the world, vegetarian is a gateway, but vegan is what you want to be moving towards.

I've been a vegan for nearly five years now and I haven't noticed any changes I would say have anything to do with my diet. I lost some weight for a couple of months right after becoming vegan but I did gain some weight over the years (not dramatically) but that happens to all sorts of people. Other than that I feel exactly the same as before.

I don't take any supplements and blood tests confirm that I am healthy. Oh, now that I think of it I realize that I used to have iron deficiency before I went vegetarian and then vegan. Now, however, I don't have that problem anymore.

Its nice when the blood tests confirm that you're healthy, especially when the doctor warned you that going vegan would be unhealthy and that i'll be deficient in this and deficient in that.

Absolutely. Especially with my doctor who told me "you will have deficiencies" beforehand... And when the test came back he kept ranting about vegetarians! How his nephew (who was about 8) wanted to be a vegetarian because his teacher told him that meat is made from animals and that this is so bad that the family now wants to sue the teacher because she shouldn't tell children stuff like that. Especially since you can't be healthy being a vegetarian... And he said that to me although my blood test had just confirmed that I am healthy "although" I am vegan...

Quote .Rebecca. View Post
    Absolutely. Especially with my doctor who told me "you will have deficiencies" beforehand... And when the test came back he kept ranting about vegetarians! How his nephew (who was about 8) wanted to be a vegetarian because his teacher told him that meat is made from animals and that this is so bad that the family now wants to sue the teacher because she shouldn't tell children stuff like that. Especially since you can't be healthy being a vegetarian... And he said that to me although my blood test had just confirmed that I am healthy "although" I am vegan...
    And that man calls himself a doctor. Maybe he can tell you what is so incredibly healthy about meat that makes it impossible to live without?
    And he should be glad that there are some people like this teacher who are at least honest to children and don't try to hide the truth. It is not like she showed the children pictures of slaughter houses or something.

I voted My health and/or sense of well-being has improved a lot
    And got ill the day after. I am still not feeling 100% now. But my dad had to stay in bed for several days and was coughing way more then me.

After I turned vegan I got less headaches, better digestion and more energy. I still get ill sometimes but it is milder.

My health has improved a lot, besides having an iron deficiency (however, I was iron deficient when I ate meat anyway). I have more energy, and have lost weight. Also, when ever I am ill, it's much milder and I never cough up mucus.

Default Re: Added extras to going vegan!

I am 52 and I have been vegan all my life, long before it became trendy or fashionable. Back in the 1970s a lot of people who claimed to be vegetarian were fakes. I never met another vegan until the mid 1980s when I found one woman was was surprised I was vegan.

Back then vegan was rare as people had not woken up to the idea that people can do fine without meat.

So the poll is irrelevant to me, I do not know how to feel otherwise.

I just seem to have alot of wind at the moment and my OH is copping for it all hahahhahha

I've lost a couple of Kilo's since switching and feel much better health wise especially in the digestive area... I also feel less depressed than before

Yep guess the 5 kilos I have lost has helped But I feel cleaner and lots calmer and more caring, things taste much better and the tummy is in a better place. Guess its put the GENTLE in Gentleman

Healthwise, I definitely feel better, but I did notice the first month or so afterwards that I felt weak where I tried to find what to eat...adjust, etc.
    Now, I feel healthier than ever, and there isn't that awful feeling that comes after I eat now. (Hard to describe...tired...clogged...congested?)
    I also feel more at peace with myself and...(when I remember to eat properly) I have energy and then some to do the things I need to do well.
    Ninja hug! You never saw it coming!

My husband and I went vegan a few months ago (I was previously vegetarian for 17 years). He has lost 14lbs and I have lost 20. We feel lighter, cleaner, energized, and that we are doing well for the planet. We feel like we have seen the light to long and healthy living! Our bodies are definitely telling us that we have made a change for the better The only negative is that most people look at us like we have 3 heads when they find out!
    Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends.

To be honest I feel overall better: generally "lighter" with no tummy-aches, however I my acne has worsened. I have heard that a lot of people's faces clear up when they drop dairy, so I am wondering why mine has flared up. I think I may have an allergy to soy. I have spent hours reading about it on the internet but there is little solid unbiased information. I don't care about the acne itself, but I do want to find out if there are any health concerns behind it. Has anyone else found this?

*sorry if this already came up, I didn't read through all the pages.

On the acne, you might be getting more carbs than you were before?
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Quote Veggie Tales View Post
    To be honest I feel overall better: generally "lighter" with no tummy-aches, however I my acne has worsened. I have heard that a lot of people's faces clear up when they drop dairy, so I am wondering why mine has flared up. I think I may have an allergy to soy. I have spent hours reading about it on the internet but there is little solid unbiased information. I don't care about the acne itself, but I do want to find out if there are any health concerns behind it. Has anyone else found this?
    Hello Veggie Tales. I think I've read that soy/soya can sometimes cause skin problems if it doesn't agree with you.

If I were you I would just try cutting out soya-based foods for a few days and then you will have a better idea if that's affecting your acne. (If it is it doesn't mean soya is a bad food, just that it doesn't suit you. Or you may find you're OK with a certain amount.)

There are people here who don't eat soya-based foods at all, and others who don't eat them very often, so if you need suggestions for what to have instead just ask!

Good morning (at least in my part of the world) all!

My very first post here and I thought it should be on this excellent question.
    This diet has affected me in three ways.

First of all, Digestion: The food is wonderful and even though a lot of it is spicy, which I love but haven't been able to eat since I got sick 7 years ago, it is wonderfully easy to digest and never makes you feel weighed down after. I got the all clear health-wise just before becoming Vegan and since going Vegan there has been no recurrences. (The Doctors thought I had Chrones or IBS, then cancer then some inflammatory disease etc... they never figured it out but it seems to have gone away on its own!)

Secondly, Exercise: I have been doing martial arts since I was 6 years old and always told, when I was older of course, that you need to eat meat to build good strong muscles etc etc. This came from people whom I believed to be professionals in their fields. Since going Vegan I have had more energy after sessions, less time sore after big sessions (thus my muscles are repairing better and faster) and I feel like I get a lot more out of them as well. I am also developing muscle properly and the myth about lanky, thin, hippie vegans is well and truly busted!

Finally, Mentally: I have never liked the idea of harming animals and the environment. Sadly my father is a hunter and used to provide a lot of meat for our table. I never went hunting and could not stand seeing the process of cleaning the animal etc. Like most people, however, I was not even fully aware of all the environmental problems factory farming etc was causing until my partner showed me the "Earthlings" documentary (It was so hard to watch and I can admit, in the most manly way possible, that I did cry afterward). As I was being spontaneous and dropping everything to be with her (we had a long distance relationship at the time), I decided to drop my old life completely and did not even touch another animal product after that. Well so i thought. It is a long process to cut out everything and she is teaching me well. So dont beat yourself up when you find out that refined sugar is passed through animal bone. Just stop using it and learn from the experience.

To everyone on the fence, I hope this gives you something more to think about. I am not a seasoned Vegan by any standard, only about 5 months now, but it is a better life. I definitely feel much closer to this beautiful world we live in.
    Thanks for reading,
    G

I think that after being vegan i feel a lot better and happier. I don't get sick much and there are other positive changes that happened to me as well and it's been great.
    Carrot!

No health change from Vegetarian to Vegan but I think my overall wellbeing has improved although I am not sure about stress levels when exposed to non-vegans!

There is about twelve pints of milk in the fridge due to my house mate obsessively buying a bottle every time he goes shopping!

Not been a vegan long, but think my skin has cleared up a bit. Definiely dropped a few pounds though. Did notice less headaches, but have now had one for 2 days.
    Think I feel healthier as I'm eating a wider range of veggies and lentils/pulses

Welcome to our forum Smiley and congratulations on making the transition!

Apparently milk is really bad for the complexion. I have always had problems with my complexion but have noticed a small difference since kicking my milk habit.

No more migraines! I used to get them weekly and they were terrible...horrible head pain and nausea to the point of vomiting. And then the dreaded "migraine-hangover" after sleeping the darn thing off. (The hangover sort of feels like a horse kicked you in the eye.) I was always sensitve to dairy and since quitting it as well as meat I sleep better, I don't get stomachaches, my skin and hair quality have improved, my blood pressure dropped (from 160/90 to 120/78 at my last Doctor visit!!), I'm less irritable, my breath is better and my body has never looked better. Yay vegan lifestyle!

Hi,

i am a beginner. I have been vegan for 3-4 weeks, after 1-2 week transition. I am very happy to doing it, but i have some problems with it. I feel often weak, and have lack of energy,. I think my immune system is weaker too. I tracking my meals, and pretty shure i get all the nutritions what needed. I eat various grains, legumes, fuits ang vegs too. B12, D vitamin plus. I eat 2000-2500 calorie in a day, what is the recommended for me. I hope it is cause that my body need to get used to this diet. but maybe there is some psychological reason, becouse i am frustrated about it, cause in the beginning i felt my self very very badly. Now it is much better. But i do not want to give up : )

Quote szender View Post
    Hi,

i am a beginner. I have been vegan for 3-4 weeks, after 1-2 week transition. I am very happy to doing it, but i have some problems with it. I feel often weak, and have lack of energy,. I think my immune system is weaker too. I tracking my meals, and pretty shure i get all the nutritions what needed. I eat various grains, legumes, fuits ang vegs too. B12, D vitamin plus. I eat 2000-2500 calorie in a day, what is the recommended for me. I hope it is cause that my body need to get used to this diet. but maybe there is some psychological reason, becouse i am frustrated about it, cause in the beginning i felt my self very very badly. Now it is much better. But i do not want to give up : )

Stick with it; you're doing great and you will feel better! Right now your body is adjusting to the positive changes it is experiencing and also releasing old toxins; that's why you feel weak. Vitamins B12 and D are perfect....those are the two I also take. After a while I began to sleep better, look better, feel better and have much more energy to exercise. My sugar and salt cravings vanished and I began to crave fruits and veggies! I would recommend upping your daily intake of leafy greens and raw veggies.
    Recipes:
    1 bunch collard greens, rinsed and still damp
    1 clove garlic, chopped fine
    handful of raisins
    handful of nuts: pine, sunflower or pumpkin, toasted in the oven at 350 degrees for a few minutes
    2 Tablespoons Baslamic Vinegar
    a little safflower, sunflower or olive oil

Saute the garlic in the oil for one minute, then add the damp collard greens and cover. Saute over medium-low heat for 3 minutes, then add the raisins and the nuts and cover. Saute for one minute, then mix in the basalmic vinegar and cover. Saute for one more minute, toss and serve.

Guacamole:
    2 ripe avocados, pitted and mashed
    2 tablespoons chopped red onion
    handful of fresh chopped cilantro
    a little salt to taste
    a little fresh lime juice to taste
    chopped tomatoes if you want
    Mix all together and serve chilled w/ tortilla chips

I have been vegan for 2.5 years and I love it! I'll never go back. Good luck to you!

Quote szender View Post
    Hi,

Hi Szender,

It is early days yet for you and you are bound to feel differently as your body gets used to your new vegan diet. After a while you will start to feel a lot better and healthier.
    Of course if you don't feel better after a week or two more, there could be a medical problem that you would need to see your doctor about. Don't assume your lack of energy is to do with your diet.
    As I said though, it is probably due to the change over from an unhealthy diet to a healthy diet so you should be fine.

Nuts are good for giving you a steady supply of energy, Szender - do you sometimes eat those too?

Quote Korn View Post
    Oh, and one more thing: let's not be fanatic. If the switch means that you feel worse, have less energy or whatever, let us know. (Having said that; if you very recently have gone vegan and experience what is normally described as 'detox effects' like eg. acne, please wait with replying until you have been living on a vegan diet vegan for at least a month or two.)
    I answered that my health and well-being has improved significantly. I'm not a new vegan whatsoever, but maybe from your experience or the experience of others I can have something answered....
    I appear to be in a spontaneous 'detox' mode. A vegan diet is nothing new to me, but I still experience acne and all that detox stuff periodically. Could it be that I am in constant detox mode or could my age be a factor? O_o I turned 22 in December so my hormones could still be 'raging' lol

^ It's not an acne cure.

Thank you all! : )
    Yes, i eat nuts & seeds everyday a lot. I am really sure tha my meals are perfectly contain everything needed. I read about it a lot.

Usually at 11am to 2pm is the critical period. Although i had an abundant breakfast (800-900 calorie sometimes), i feel headache, and less energy and concentration. After lunch it is ok. I dont really understand why it is happens.
    I have been lacto-vegetarian for 8 years and there was no problem, just know.

I hope time will get the result : )
    Thanx again!

Quote szender
    Usually at 11am to 2pm is the critical period. Although i had an abundant breakfast (800-900 calorie sometimes), i feel headache, and less energy and concentration. After lunch it is ok. I dont really understand why it is happens.
    It could be your body digesting such a big meal. I find that I feel better when I eat little and often, I get lethargic if I eat more sporadic, big meals.
    Houmous atá ann!