Thread: Did your Body Reject Meat?

Default Did your Body Reject Meat?

During my process of coming to terms with the Truths of life.... (pre Veghood) my body started to reject meat. It came all of a sudden, and never went away. It would go right through me, please don't picture this--> quite disgustingly.... In fact this was what began my change to becoming lacto-ovo at first..... I had to.

Did anyone else have this happen to them? Your body kind of telling you "It's time"?

Default Re: Did your Body Reject Meat?

Don`t you think it`s all in the mind rather than physical? Diarrhoea (I guess that`s what you describe) can have psychological causes as often as not and I could imagine that it was because you were really 100% ready to stop in your mind that your body followed suit and rejected it.

About 2 months after stopping fish, I had a tuna sandwich because I was starving and it was the last sandwich left in the canteen. I used to love tuna but I suddenly found it so disgusting that I had to throw it away after 2 bites. I also found I could taste it in my mouth for hours afterwards which I never ever experienced before.

littleTigercub

Perhaps it's a bit of both (partly physical and partly psychological).

I've had experiences like the tuna sandwich one - I once accidentally ate an after eight mint that had butterfat in it and immediately knew something wasn't right. I could taste the butter for hours and hours even after cleaning my teeth a few times. The scariest thing was when I first gave up milk though. I ran out of soya milk and had two cups of tea with dairy milk, and I came out in huge red blotches all down my side!

It's just better to be vegan!
    Cherry

Tssss! Just shows you! But it`s good for your body to show you what you probably would not have noticed otherwise.

littleTigercub

I've never been too keen on most dairy(I'm a very fussy eater!) anyway, can't stand plain milk, I only had flavoured shakes, yougurt, milk chocolate, ice cream and melted cheese before going vegan. Things where the taste was overpowered by a stronger flavour.
    I've just came off my antidepressants recently, and one of the side effects I'm experiencing is nausea and a heightened sense of smell.
    I was stacking shelves in my work and putting out bags of milk chocolate when the smell of milk from them was really going for me...yeuch.
    My athsma/eczema has also improved since quitting dairy.
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

I know what you mean - milky things smell so strong (and disgusting!) when you're not used to having them anymore. (Congratulations for coming off antidepressants, incidentally!)

I've heard loads of people saying that dairy was the cause of their asthma and eczema. Alas, mine is persisting. I wondered if I wasn't getting enough zinc, as I've heard eczema can be affected by zinc levels. Does anyone have any eczema advice?

Quote littleTigercub
    Don`t you think it`s all in the mind rather than physical? Diarrhoea (I guess that`s what you describe) can have psychological causes as often as not and I could imagine that it was because you were really 100% ready to stop in your mind that your body followed suit and rejected it.
    ya, maybe I subconsciously knew, but not consciously (I didn't even know what a "Vegan" was)
    Quote cherry
    Perhaps it's a bit of both (partly physical and partly psychological).
    Consciously it clicked-on with my body first, so I perceived it to be kind of out of "order".... kind of bass-ackwards near the end.

Thanks for helping me with that you two.... and the stories btw... I find stuff like this to be very interesting....

More stories are welcome!

Quote cherry
    Does anyone have any eczema advice?
    Theres a Eczema thread HERE cherry.

Thanks Gertvegan. Being new to all this I was just sort of thinking out loud and wasn't meaning to change the subject. I will check out the excema link.

Until I actually became vegetarian, I hadn't deeply thought about what it meant. Honestly, I gave up meat because I didn't like it much and thought I may as well just give it up altogether. It was only when I had stopped eating it that the reality really hit me.

I think that a lot of people MUST have strong signs that their bodies aren't happy with their diets, but I suppose it depends on what you choose to do about it.

I was never blessed with good skin, but in the last two weeks, I definitely noticed an improvement!

littleTigercub

For the 12 months leading upto my veganism, yes, my body started to reject meat.

For those 12 months though, I had no intention of becoming vegan (I became vegan virtually overnight after reading some literature I had received in the mail from PETA).

Anyway, at first it was beef and fish, then lamb and chicken. The smell of the meats cooking started to make me feel sick and it got to the stage where I could barely eat a meat meal that I had cooked - it made we want to vomit.

My body became intollerant to meat of it's own accord and that probably helped my transition into veganism a lot!

I think my body "rejected" meat for a long time, but I never knew what was going on. Bad constipation, the "shudders", etc. I used to shiver badly when I ate too much, and I always assumed it was simply oversonsumption that did it, but now being vegan, it never, ever happens. I realise it was the meat. Before I went vegetarian, I also started gagging on meat a lot--I couldn't handle the idea of it in my mouth. I felt immensely better after I went vegetarian, but then before a year vegetarian was up, I started having the same problems with dairy and eggs. The shuddering/shivering was back worse than before, the gagging on eggs, etc. The week I went vegan, I ordered an omelet at a vegetarian restaurant and was unable to eat it. I took one bite and my body shouted at me NO. It was an unexpected turn, much like with Roxy. Whereas I always assumed that at one point I might go vegan, I never really expected it to happen when it did--and when it did, it was an instantaneous decision. I went into the kitchen and divested it of everything non-vegan. That was two and a half months ago and I have never looked back--and my body is much happier! No shivers, no constipation/diarrhea, no gagging.

I have similar experiences.

I first stopped eating red meat at age 16 because all over sudden, I found it so disgusting that I couldn`t eat it any more.

2 1/2 weeks ago, I decided to go vegan again, and, while I abandoned this a year ago in favour of cheddar cheese and yoghurt, this time, I already had one different experience.

I went out for lunch with friends and found one near vegan dish, but it had butter in it. The cook refused to prepare it with pesto instead and, as I did not want to make a fuss after just 2 days, I ordered the dish as it was on the menu.

I never was a fan of too much butter, but this pasta dish was disgusting! I had to pass it back after two spoonful as I found it so greasy, so buttery and so... ahrgth, plain disgusting. For hours afterwards, I felt like I had a fat film on my lips and tongue.

Last week, I had a bit of milk chocolate, too. Normally, I can eat and eat and eat chocolate forever, but this half bar made me so full...

I have once read that, if you set your mind onto something, your body follows suit (i.e. running a marathon), so I wonder whether this is the body`s sign that it does not want to do anything which is against your mind?

I guess it is a sign that I really want it this time, is it?

littleTigercub

Quote littleTigercub
    I guess it is a sign that I really want it this time, is it?
    littleTigercub
    This should help get you over the hump (if you aren't already, by that gross but entertaining butter story)....
    http://www.petatv.com/downloads/dairy_cows_veal.zip
    (I'll have to wait outside while you watch this )

Never happened to me. I admit (aware I might be pelted with rotten tomatoes) that some types of dead animal still smells good to me. I certainly have no desire to eat it and after 10 years of avoiding dead animal, I think my body would not particularly care for it.

I`ll be honest and say that I only watched it half way through but I will keep it and thank you regardless.

I jogg past loads of fields with grassing cows in it and seeing the same cute animals and beautiful brown eyes in these conditions hurts. :-((

littleTigercub

wow..... that really sucks to see after I have relapsed for 3 years....how could I have forgotten.... how selfish... the weird thing too was that the date on the video is my B-Day and the year I became a vegan the first time ... totally coincidental of course...but odd never the less

Quote lilTigercub
    I`ll be honest and say that I only watched it half way through but I will keep it and thank you regardless.

I jogg past loads of fields with grassing cows in it and seeing the same cute animals and beautiful brown eyes in these conditions hurts. :-((
    Quote cinchybell
    wow..... that really sucks to see after I have relapsed for 3 years....how could I have forgotten.... how selfish... the weird thing too was that the date on the video is my B-Day and the year I became a vegan the first time ... totally coincidental of course...but odd never the less
    It's weird how everyday life.... work, socializing, chores, bills, etc. tend to take over our minds and keep our thoughts away from nature, and our animals relatives. So many people take them for granted that sometimes its hard for us to NOT follow the crowd, and be accepted, cause deep down we all want that.
    These videos are there, not only for the new recruits, but also to kick our asses back into reality, when we need it.

Heres the whole friggin archive: There are some band interviews and stuff, not just pain and torture...
    http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/archive.asp

littleTigercub... I know what you mean about those eyes...