Thread: E. coli

Seaside

Default E. coli

I have always wondered whether the E. coli really comes from animal contamination, or food handlers not washing up after they use the toilet. I used to work for an upscale grocery store, not just your typical supermarket, and I used to see the deli people doing the awfulest things with their bare hands behind the scenes, and then going out to handle cold-cuts for customers, and one of the lady butchers went rushing right out of the restroom without washing her hands once when I was coming in. Things have changed there since, but it always makes me wonder when I hear of an outbreak.
    Last edited by Korn; May 8th, 2005 at 11:54 PM. Reason: This thread was made out of posts from another one

Default Re: Leeches and maggots in medical use in the 21st century?

I just visited the CDC website and found that many strains of E. coli are in the digestive tracts of healthy humans and animals. It's E. coli O157:H7 that is toxic. Most cases come from undercooked ground beef that is contaminated. Other sources are:

sprouts - the seeds may be contaminated (don't feed sprouts to children)
    lettuce - PLEASE use a salad spinner or colander
    salami - don't know why
    unpasteurized milk and juice - of course they failed to specify animal milk
    swimming in or drinking sewage-contaminated water

Infected human to human contamination is very easy, such as food handlers. Also, it's difficult to contain in day care centers with many toddlers (not the best hand washers at that age). Infected toddlers also infect their families.

This strain of E. coli was first identified as causing human infection in 1982. I wonder if that's the same year that factory farming really took off?

I have a friend who got it from romaine lettuce. That year I gave her a salad spinner for her birthday
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Kevster

Wednesday, 21 September 2005

'E.coli outbreak meat supply link

A link has been established between a meat supplier and the E.coli outbreak at more than two dozen south Wales schools, public health experts say.

The firm, John Tudor and Son, of Bridgend, supplies cooked meat to schools and council institutions.

The firm was not available for comment but had withdrawn all its products, Food Standards Agency Wales said.

The number of E.coli cases among schoolchildren in three council areas has grown again, to 56.

The food standards agency said it was possible that contaminated products may still be on the shelves of some stores because it believed that John Tudor and Son also supplied outlets that sold direct to consumers. '

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4269844.stm

cross barer

Your right seas, unwashed hands is a primary way of spreading the various fecal bacteria in particular through unsafe food handling techniques.

However I just finished reading "Fast Food Nation" (recommended) and Eric Schlosser indicates that many forms of fecal bacteria are sourced at the slaughterhouse and processing plants as fecal matter is not always removed from the carcass. Schlosser suggests that this is the result of the 'profit driven industry' which has to slow down by about 2/3 the speed when preparing meat destined for European markets, as they have higher standards. He states the employees love such days as workplace accidents are reduced to a minimum due to the decreased performance pressure required to satisfactorily prepare a carcass ensuring an absence of contamination.

Default Re: E. coli

My sister lives in one of the Villages in Wales that have had the School hit hard by this crap because of some cowboy blood baron flogging evil meat to schools, they have shut him down lets hope it's for good.

Luckily my sister will let her children eat school meals due to the crap content so she always makes packed meals for them, at the moment though she is keeping them away from school until all is well.

E-Coli can come from other sources then meat but meat is the mail culprit.

Some information that might help those not in the know about E-coli
    http://people.ku.edu/~jbrown/ecoli.html
    http://www.sourcemolecular.com/ecolitoolbox.htm
    http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC3700.htm

THIS ONE IS VERY GOOD
    http://www.ericsecho.org/answerin.htm
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Kevster

Serving cr*p meat to the young or older persons should have very serious legal consequences, it is the exploitation of vulnerable people.

'E coli outbreak in Welsh schools

Press Association
    Friday September 23, 2005

The number of E coli cases among Welsh schoolchildren rose to 75 today.
    The bug has now been found in 27 schools across south Wales since the first cases came to light at the weekend. A number of the children affected have been treated in hospital and some remain very ill.'

http://education.guardian.co.uk/scho...577133,00.html

Kevster

It might sound a little harsh but perhaps the parents should be investigated for knowingly allowing their children to eat cr*p school meals, bad enough that schools supply this stuff, but parents have some responsibility too.

'Legal threat as E.coli tops 100

The number of E.coli cases in south Wales has risen to 108 in 31 schools.
    The latest increase was announced as it emerged that families of sick children are considering legal action.

The parents of one young victim have asked solicitors Hugh James in Merthyr to press for the official inquiry to be carried out urgently and openly.'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4278426.stm