Thread: The Big Issue

Thumbs up The Big Issue

Has anyone come across The Big Issue mag? It is published in a few countries including Australia and the UK, and is sold by unemployed people. There was an email from them today that "The Big Issue is very soon going to be selling an edition about the intensive piggeries and factory farmed animals. I think, maybe, next week - you'll need to check. Perhaps you can send out a message to your members."

I'll watch out for the edition. Their url is simply http://www.bigissue.org.au/
    Eve

spo

Default Re: The Big Issue

Thanks again, eve, for another great link.
    I bookmarked the site and will check it out right now.
    spo

It's a great magazine. I buy it no matter what the articles because it's always worth $4. And you never know if you may be the one selling it someday...

anyone know how much the vendor gets from the sale of an issue?

$2

Quote Imapeach
    $2

anybody have an idea of the UK£ split?

thanks, peachy.

i think it says on the cover that at least £1 of the cover price goes to the vendor, i can't remember exactly how much it costs but it's about £1.50 isn't it?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Stu

Eve, in the UK the Big Issue is actually sold specifically by homeless people. There is a MASSIVE homelessness problem over here. I'm guessing that this isn't the case in Oz, hence unemployed people selling it, which in itself is pretty cool.

I've normally got at least one Big Issue lying around the flat, but I can't find one at present, to check the price. But yeah, it's about what £1 I think, as Gorilla suggests. The vendors buy it for about 50p per copy and sell it on for about £1.50 (however, most people give the vendor 2 or 3 quid, I think).

Yes Stu, I'm sure you're right, that unemployment in Oz is greater than the homelessness over there.
    Eve

tails4wagging

I buy it most weeks, and give £2 for it so dont know how much it is as I dont want cahnge. Brilliant mag, and usually animal friendly and they support adverts for animal charities.
    Very informative.

If the vendor has a dog as well I usually buy something for the dog to eat as well, me being a softee like!!.

i found a copy lying around from a couple of weeks ago, and it says that 80p of the cover price goes to the vendor, and it costs £1.40. in case anybody wants to know the exact figures

like tails i wasn't sure exactly how much it costs as i usually just give the vendor a couple of quid and don't want the change back. i like to stop and talk with the vendors sometimes too, if they seem like they want a chat.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Another Big Issue fan here too. I only discovered it a few months ago, but I do remember seeing it being sold in London. I was just a bit sheltered back than and didn't really 'get' it Soooo glad I've found it properly now though