Thread: Ten lies from doctors

Cool Ten lies from doctors

This interesting website shows how doctors lie to us - you may not go along with all that's written here, but it is food for thought.
    http://www.healthliesexposed.com/art...5_6_4801.shtml
    Eve

FR

Default Re: Ten lies from doctors

ie #5: The sun will give you cancer.

Truth #5: The sun will prevent cancer due to the creation of vitamin D by the skin. Most Americans (and Canadians and Europeans, for that matter) are deficient in vitamin D. As a result, tumor cell growth in the breast and prostate is unregulated. Sensible exposure to natural sunlight generates cancer-preventing vitamin D... at no charge! Sunburns are actually caused by nutritional deficiencies (lack of antioxidants in the skin), not by sensible exposure to sunlight.

Awesome. I personally love the sun and it is the best source of pure vitamin D. I do not sit out in the sun and over expose myself. At the same time, I think sun block is an incredibly stupid thing to use. I suppose some people use sun block because they believe it will get rid of wrinkles.

Getting a moderate amount of sun is very good for you; for the production of Vitamin D as well as melanin which assists the protection of the skin by darkening it. Instead of penetrating the skin, the light energy is absorbed by the pigment and dispersed as heat. Large amounts of UV radiation that penetrates the skin increases the mutation rate and depending on where the mutations are within the cell, can increase the chances of the cell to become cancerous.

Some sun is good, however, all UV radiation does you damage (creates thyamine dimers in the DNA strand which then kink the DNA and requires repair) and restricting the exposure to the sun allows you the buffer of how much your cells can repair the damage. If there is too much damage, critical regions of the DNA can be knocked out and can result in cancerous cells.

The amount of sun the British get on an average day falling only on their hands and face is enough to produce sufficient Vitamin D. Here in Australia we get more than our fair share which is why we are the skin cancer capital of the world - we also have a huuuge beach and outdoor culture.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Thank you veganblue you took the words right out of my mouth - i was just going to write exactly that!

Anti-doctor lists like this make me sooooo angry, especially when the infomation given is completely or party incorrect. As people read it, believe it and then go on to put their own health at risk.

I trained for 3 years as a doctor before deciding it was not the career for me and that i would be better suited to veterinary medicine and i cannot believe that people are still writing things like this especially the rubbish about the mammogram, the amount of radiation that you are exposed to when having a modern mammogram is less than what you are exposed to when you have a regular x-ray.

Someone could now read that and be put off from having their mammogram and be act risk of a possible breast cancer neoplasm being undetected.

Wow...that's an eye opener. Thanks for sharing that article eve

mainly @ and in response to FR
    Awesome. I personally love the sun and it is the best source of pure vitamin D. I do not sit out in the sun and over expose myself. At the same time, I think sun block is an incredibly stupid thing to use. I suppose some people use sun block because they believe it will get rid of wrinkles.
    I am not disputing that the sun is the best source of pure vitamin D and that small doses of it will be good for you and prevent some cancers, BUT i would only say that short exposure of sunlight is good. You say yourself that you do not sit out in the sun and over expose yourself. What do you suggest people do if they need to be overly exposed to the sun for whatever reason. Do you still think sun block is an incredibly stupid thing to use in those cases? or are you just basing your statement on the asumed ability to control the length of sun exposure acurately enough to not need sun block.
    I have very fair skin and BURN easily and very quickly when exposed to the sun. I never even tan at all. There is no way that in very hot weather i can cover up my skin sufficiently enough to prevent very painful sunburns without using a sun block. And i dont care in the slightest about getting wrinkles.

FR

Quote Rhiannon
    What do you suggest people do if they need to be overly exposed to the sun for whatever reason. Do you still think sun block is an incredibly stupid thing to use in those cases? or are you just basing your statement on the asumed ability to control the length of sun exposure acurately enough to not need sun block.
    I have very fair skin and BURN easily and very quickly when exposed to the sun. I never even tan at all. There is no way that in very hot weather i can cover up my skin sufficiently enough to prevent very painful sunburns without using a sun block. And i dont care in the slightest about getting wrinkles.
    I don't care about wrinkles either, that is superficial crap.

I was basing my statement pertaining to folks without special needs. In that case wearing sun block does not make sense if you are only going to be exposed for short intervals. By all means, if you burn easily, wear it.

I tan beautifully and always have, yet at the age of 34 had a basal cell carcinoma (imagine, here in the northeast US) that has recquired 4 reconstructive surgeries on my nose. If I was not lucky enough to know a reconstructive surgeon (who accepted my insurance) I would not look the same today (this was not superficial **** by the way - I had a hole in my nostril the size of a large pea). Maybe all breast biopsies are not really needed, but I am glad that I finally got that skin biopsy. I'll take my vitamin D in a pill from now on.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote laura1983
    Anti-doctor lists like this make me sooooo angry, especially when the infomation given is completely or party incorrect. As people read it, believe it and then go on to put their own health at risk. ... i cannot believe that people are still writing things like this especially the rubbish about the mammogram, the amount of radiation that you are exposed to when having a modern mammogram is less than what you are exposed to when you have a regular x-ray. Someone could now read that and be put off from having their mammogram and be act risk of a possible breast cancer neoplasm being undetected.
    laura1983 - we get heaps of orthodox advice from the doc, from newspapers, the tv, magazines etc, so where's the harm in reading something contra and making up our own minds? Even my favourite vegan doctor, Vernon Coleman, says that "the person most likely to kill you is not a relative or a friend, or a mugger or a burglar or a drunken driver. The person most likely to kill you is your doctor."

I remember working for the chief medical officer of a government organisation, and it was where I first learned the word iatrogenic - which was placed alongside masses of written-up cases where the patient either became disabled or died. I asked the boss what the word meant, and he explained it meant that the condition was caused by the medical treatment.

Moreover, recently there have been reports that a simply huge number of deaths in Australia (and it's the same in the UK), were caused by wrong medication, wrong treatment, etc. In fact, to be up-to-date, I'll tell you that where I live, all orthopedic operations have been stopped - this applies to an area of Hervey Bay, Maryborough, Bundaberg, and places in between. There have been too many patients crippled or killed! What if someone now falls down heavily and breaks their hip, which happened to me about 4 years ago? Airlifted to Brisbane?

Anyhow, Dr Coleman's website http://www.vernoncoleman.com/main.htm gives info on one of his best-selling books, entitled "How To Stop Your Doctor Killing You".
    Eve