Thread: Vegetarian gone Vegan

Default Vegetarian gone Vegan

Hello all. This is a fantastic forum. I'm glad I stumbled on this place.

I've been a vegetarian for a about half a year now with no difficulty. For a combination of ethical and personal reasons I decided to completely cut out meat from my diet. My body fought back for two weeks as the toxins were coming out of my system, but afterwards I felt so much better. But after viewing the "Meet your Meat" video on PETA's website, I decided then and there that I had to completely "cross the bridge" so to speak and become Vegan. I was going to go completely Vegan six months ago, but many advised me that it would be too much of a shock to my system and I could get rather ill. I have yet to get quite sick from anything beyond a stuffy nose here and there. I feel so much better now.

So it's been two days of Veganism so far. I've gotten quite militant when it comes to label reading, as I never want to knowingly ingest any animal or animal by-product. Never again. I don't think I could ever go back to dairy, let alone meat. So being that I'm "new" at this, I have all sorts of questions to get me well on my way:

What are some good basic foods to keep in the pantry or fridge? (Keep in mind I'm a poor college student!)

Are imitation cheeses really worth getting or is it just a waste?

Are there things like Vegan toothpaste or deodorant? (Or other toiletries?)

Is it difficult to eat at restaurants? (I didn't have much difficulty as a vegetarian, but now the game is different.)

What will I do at Thanksgiving?

Can I make a cake with all Vegan ingredients?

Do egg replacement things really work? Could I actually make an "omelette" that tastes halfway decent? Or pancakes?

Any foods that seem safe but in actuality are not Vegan? (Certain breads perhaps? I dunno.)

I'm sure I have lots more questions, but I'm gonna scour the threads here a bit.

Thanks for all the help and I anticipate a happy lifetime of Veganism.

peace love and happiness

Wow! You've got a lot of questions, there. Congrats on your going vegan and I'll try to answer what I can, the best I can.

What are some good basic foods to keep in the pantry or fridge? (Keep in mind I'm a poor college student!). It all depends on where you live, what's available and what you like to eat. Me, I like keeping produce, frozen stuff, whole grains, pasta, tofu and spices on hand and I'm never caught without them. With those things, I can make anything.

Are imitation cheeses really worth getting or is it just a waste? Other say no, it's not a waste but I say yes. Every cheese I've tried tasted like things I can't say here. IMO, it's best to get on without cheese and have done.

Are there things like Vegan toothpaste or deodorant? (Or other toiletries?) Yep, sure are. Deoderant stones are vegan and I've heard that some brands of toothpaste are, too. I don't know what country you're in, so I can't really recommend anything.

Is it difficult to eat at restaurants? (I didn't have much difficulty as a vegetarian, but now the game is different.) Sorta hard but not that bad. I've learned to go for the obvious vegan things and leave the fineries alone. Salad is my mainstay when I'm out to eat but if I'm feeling brave (and if I know the place), I'll venture into something that's easily vegan if they leave off the cheese and meat. I'm in US, so another trick of mine is to eat at a Mongolian BBQ. That way, I *know* what I'm getting.

What will I do at Thanksgiving? Whatever you would like. Thanksgivings are no longer about the carcass so that means that you're free to experiment with flavours, textures and colors instead of having "dead body plus sides" as your focus. Read around the net and you'll be sure to get loads of ideas about having a vegan Thanksgiving.

Can I make a cake with all Vegan ingredients? You sure can. Vegweb has loads of cake recipes and so does VegSource. Anything but angelfood cake can be made vegan and no one's the wiser except you.

Do egg replacement things really work? Could I actually make an "omelette" that tastes halfway decent? Or pancakes? Pancakes, yes. Omlettes, no. But you can make a wicked tofu scramble with omlette veggies and tofu broken up in the pan. I never tire of scrambles. They're alway so good.

Any foods that seem safe but in actuality are not Vegan? (Certain breads perhaps? I dunno.) Lots of things. Check the lables.

I'm sure I have lots more questions, but I'm gonna scour the threads here a bit.

Thanks for all the help and I anticipate a happy lifetime of Veganism.

peace love and happiness
    I wish you a long and happy life of veganism, too and if you have any more questions, don't be afriad to ask. We're all here for each other.

Red face

Hey there and welcome to the wonderful world of veganism...

First of all, let me begin by telling you that while it is important as a vegan to avoid animal products, and label read...sometimes you make a mistake. As long as you try your best, if you make a mistake, you just pick your self up, dust yourself off and tomorrow is a new day. There is no point in beating yourself up. Nobody is perfect...

I too, am a poor uni student, and I suppose my pantry is very boring coz I can't afford the vegan convenience foods. I live off dhal and brown rice, peanut butter sandwiches, mini wheats wholewheat breakfast cereal, and in between meals I eat basic fruit, like apples, bananas, oranges or whatever is cheap, sultanas and dried apricots...
    I eat lots of dhal because lentils and split peas are cheap and they cook quickly. Occasionally I eat chickpeas but they require soaking and long cooking. Sometimes I buy canned but I don't like to.
    Here is a list of what I keep:

- red lentils
    - yellow/green split peas
    - brown rice
    - dried chickpeas
    - baked beans
    - wholemeal pasta
    - tomato pasta sauce
    - herbs/spices
    - peanut butter
    - hummus
    - wholegrain bread
    - rolled oats
    - sultanas
    - dried apricots
    - canned fruit snacks (peaches/apricots etc...)
    - rice cakes
    - yeast extract spread (vegemite/marmite)
    - jam
    - rice/soy milk
    - orange juice
    - basic fruit (apples, bananas, pears, grapes, oranges, mandarins etc...)
    - basic/seasonal vegetables (onions, garlic, ginger, potatoes, tomatos, lettuce, cucumber, broccoli etc...)
    - olive oil

Imitation cheese (and yoghurt) from my experience are bloody disgusting!!!!!!

I don't know where you are, but I know that vegan toothpaste is available but it is pricey...I do not buy it I am afraid...

A lot of restaurants will cater for your needs when asked, but a lot of people still don't understand the concept of vegan and think we eat things like fish, or they slip chicken stock or butter into things. So just be weary and check...your best option is to go to veg friendly restaurants, but otherwise, here are some relatively 'safe' options:
    - cheeseless vegie pizza
    - spaghetti in tomato pasta sauce
    - Indian vegetarian curries (ask for no ghee/cream)
    - Mexican bean burritos/tacos (no cheese/sour cream)
    - sandwiches/rolls
    - falafel and pita and tabouli (check what the falafel has been cooked in)
    - Vegie soups (check for stock, cream, milk)
    - Baked potatoes
    - steamed/roasted vegies
    - fries (check what they have been fried in) and tomato sauce/ketchup
    - asian tofu/vegie stir-fries with noodles or rice (check for oyster/fish sauce)
    - vegetarian fried rice

At thanksgiving (and other social meals) inform the host that you are a vegan. I am in Australia so i have never been to thanksgiving dinner (it's turkey right???), but I am sure there would be vegies and salads as well????? Maybe rice or potatoes???? Or you could bring something yourself. I only ever find dessert a problem with these things, so I always bring a fruit platter.

You can make cake with vegan ingredients. In Autralia, egg replacer is readily available, all dairy substitutes can be used as you would use dairy milk...vegan cooking chocolate, cocoa, margarine are all available.

My advice is to invest in a good vegan cookbook

I cannot answer the omelette/pancake question coz I have never bothered to do it...but I have tried scrambled tofu before...I was never a scrambled egg fan, but if I was, the scrambled tofu thing does the job. I don't really like tofu though!!!!

I also cannot answer the bread question because I am sure there are variances between Australian breads and American breads

Good luck!!!!

i would recommend frozen veggies as one of your main staples (theyre cheaper and they last alot longer)

heres a recipe for a sort of vegan turkey on any holiday (remember that margarine is not vegan but there are vegan replacements)

http://www.boutell.com/vegetarian/nut-roast.html

and heres a recipe that i got off of this forum actually, for a vegan chocolate cake!

http://www.dodgeglobe.com/stories/11...26030070.shtml

replacement egg type things DO work very well for making cake, rice or whatever else u could possibly use egg in. but it wouldnt work for such things as omlettes. (however tofu works well for that sort of thing) once i DID use the replacement egg to dip my bread in, then fry it and sprinkle it with cinnamon and i had vegan french toast. (my family went nuts over it)

i really suggest u get a vegan cookbook! and this is a website that has a ton of vegan recipes on it:

http://www.vegweb.com

imitation cheeses are worth it for me, but if u are a poor college student i wouldnt suggest it! theyre not the greatest but they work well if u cant live without the idea of having cheese. its good for a transition period.

there are vegan toothpastes, deodorants, shampoos and soaps. toms of maine has sum good products! do u have any healthfood stores close? they often have the replacements youre looking for.

heres a link for a list of ingredients that are vegan and not vegan:

http://www.veganpeace.com/Ingedients/ingredients.htm

its not difficult to eat at restaurants. if i go out i usually just eat salad or fries. be careful of creamy dressings. creamy anything is usually not vegan!and be careful of stirfries. they usually make them with chicken stock.

foods that u should be careful about? all u can really do is read ingredients. before u eat anything. i have screwed up alot and its just because i didnt think to read the ingredients but remember that there can be animal ingredients in ANYTHING. so becareful, and always be aware. ull feel that u dont need to read them as much after u get more into it because ull know better. its all about learning! and if u do happen to screw up, its okay, just be patient with yourself.

have fun being vegan =) its quite an adventure that ive barely started even (six months now) and i feel wonderful. ull feel wonderful all around for helping the animals, the environment, the earth and the world in a whole. there is no better feeling! its amazing that one little change could cause such an improvement.

Default Welcome Finch

It looks like youīve gotten some great answers to your questions already, so I will just add a bit of my experiences.

I folllow a quote I got from Mr. Michael Gregor, and eat greens, beans, grains and fruit - with the occasional chocolate or apple strudel for decadency! (Both vegan) -

I donīt eat meat or cheese substitutes, as I try to avoid processed food - As a college student you can eat well - lentils and black eyed peas cook fast, are vesatile, and very filling, for example, and you can resort ot canned beans, which are quite cheap. In the winter, I have oatmeal or quinoa for breakfast, and in the warmer months, I have a soy milk shake with banana, berries, frozen fruit, and ground flax seeds. Both are very filling. Another great, easy meal, I got from Phillip on this site, is a baked sweet potato with avocado on top - very nutritious, filling, and delicious.

Otherwise, I just try to eat a variety of fruits and veggies, tofu or beans, and a bit of grain products, like whole wheat bread or pasta, or brown rice.

There are several things to use in place of eggs for baking - I donīt use the commercial egg replacers, just ground flax seeds with water, oil or arrowroot powder, depending on the recipe.

My favorite recipe site is www.vegan-food.net, which I also got from this site.

I went from omni to vegan in about 2 weeks time, in August 2003 - and I have never looked back. I didnīt have any big physical symptoms -

good luck.
    globesetter

Congratulations mate. Sounds like you'll make a fine upstanding vegan.

What are some good basic foods to keep in the pantry or fridge? (Keep in mind I'm a poor college student!)

Lentils are good. So's Quinoa. And Tofu.

Are imitation cheeses really worth getting or is it just a waste?

Can be handy for sandwiches occasionally. That's about it for me.

Are there things like Vegan toothpaste or deodorant? (Or other toiletries?)

Yes, many.

Is it difficult to eat at restaurants? (I didn't have much difficulty as a vegetarian, but now the game is different.)

I'm damn sure it usually is (probably). I don't go to them.

What will I do at Thanksgiving?

Move to England, then you won't have to bother with it.

Can I make a cake with all Vegan ingredients?

I've no doubt that you can. In fact I'd bet my hat on it. Just don't ask me how though.

Do egg replacement things really work? Could I actually make an "omelette" that tastes halfway decent? Or pancakes?

Er... dunno. I imagine they'd work in recipes where a bit of egg is needed, but stuff like omelettes? I wouldn't have thought so? Not being much help so far am I? I'm bloody pants at cooking.

Any foods that seem safe but in actuality are not Vegan? (Certain breads perhaps? I dunno.)

Yeah, some bread isn't vegan. Lots of veggie burgers and stuff aren't either. Any conscientious vegan gets used to reading labels on products. (We must look like a bunch of nutters in the supermarket.)

tofu softy (HEHE).; check out my choc chip brownie cake recipe on food section, cloudy has tried it and he's still alive.....

tip tho' cook cake for about 10/15 mins more than i originally said.

try the cake, its easy peasy lemon squeezy!!

Thank you all for the wonderful help thus far. I picked up some things today and am eager to try some new dishes. I thought that eliminating dairy would be tough, but so far it is not difficult. The only problem I have is that so many items have these "Natural Flavors." Why can't they just tell us what they are? It's a pain, but I can manage. Well, I'm off to make a fantastic Vegan lunch.

natural flavours often are derived from animal products, just incase u didnt know!

funkyvixen

Quote foxytina_69
    natural flavours often are derived from animal products
    I guess thats fine - animals are after all natural. But if a product also states that its vegan or suitable for vegans, any "natural flavourings" contained must be plant-derived, right?

fv x

yes. i dont eat things with natural flavours, as they are often from animal products, therefor i cant have them.

Thumbs up

Hi, Finch, and congratulations on going vegan!

I''ve been a vegan for about 10 years (a vegetarian for many years before that), but I am new to this Web site, so I am learning a LOT! It's great that this Web site exists, not only as a good source of information, but as a place of mutual support.

One book that I heartily recommend is "Living Among Meat-Eaters" by Carol J. Adams. She's a respected author in the field of animal rights; she also wrote the well-known book "The Sexual Politics of Meat," which has been in print for more than 10 years.

In her book "Living Among Meat-Eaters," Ms. Adams addresses many of the questions you asked. She wrote the book because she found out that her greatest difficulties in being vegan were NOT getting proper nutrition (as we all know, a vegan diet can supply complete nutrition)--the greatest difficulties were social!

Ms. Adams has chapters of her book devoted to just the questions you asked, especially how a vegan "gets through" social situations that seem to be constructed around eating a certain food (usually a part of a dead animal, such as the turkey at Thanksgiving).

Ms. Adams advises certain tactics: tell people in advance that you are a vegan; sit as far away from the dead animal as possible; bring a vegan dish of your own creation--you might be surprised that others want to try it and find that they like it!

The book is great; I highly recommend it.

Good luck and best regards,
    Kukla's Mom