Thread: My school has soy milk!

Default My school has soy milk!

Victory!!! I was siting at lunch with my granola bar as usual and my friend comes by and tells me they have soy milk now. I couldn't believe it so I got up to see for myself, and it's true! 65 cents for a carton of Silk's "very vanilla." yum!
    Overgrow the government!

tails4wagging

Default Re: My school has soy milk!

Great Perhaps it will eventually cross over to the UK schools.

Green_Faery are you in a public school? Do you know if this is for all of VA, just the county, or just the school?

I live in the neighboring state and want to push for vegetarian options in the public school here. I was hoping maybe some of this would rub off here.

Yeah, I think some junior highs here sell it too.

YOu are lucky! I just read during the week that they want to reintroduce the so called compulsery "school milk" again.

I just do not understand. It becomes more and more widely appreciated that milk is not exactly what it seems to be, so why do they continue to feed this to the children?

littleTigercub

Little Tigercub, I think the reason they want to reintroduce school milk is that farmers have too much milk and they have to offload it somewhere...and kids and old people are always handy bins for unwanted agricultural produce

We get the Welsh Assembly Agriculture magazine, and it's full of stories meant to be encouraging to farmers, about millions of pounds of government money being spent on promoting milk products to teenage girls, who are apparently 'skimping on dairy', pushing cow's milk as an aid to natural beauty and bone health The latest issue has a story about friendly farmers taking cows into schools to introduce kids to their food sources. Of course, they don't take the cows when they're constantly moaning because they're distressed about their calves being stolen
    And they don't take snotty-nosed, shitty-uddered lame cows, either. They get left at home to wait for the knackerman.
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

That`s really nasty. Basically, "Vegan Sourcebook" says the same thing, that kids get milk etc at school in order to hook them early and create the habit which will then be accepted and difficult to break.

How should a kid know? They are the most vulnerable.

I wonder what would happen if they would explain to the kids the "pus issue". That really put me off...

littleTigercub

I hated milk as a kid, yet they forced the school milk on us. I always left mine and never drank it. I though Margaret Thatcher the milk-snatcher was great at the time for stopping it! lol
    Maybe if they leave it sitting about warm like my school did it'll put the kids off!
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

yuck. I used to drink milk a lot when I was little... (before I knew the truth) I don't know what other schools have soymilk. I'm assuming the whole county would have it, but I'm not really sure. (I guess I could check?) I'm definately going to have to write some kind of thank-you thing to the school board for noticing us! (sometimes if not enough people buy things, they stop selling them.)
    Overgrow the government!

Same - I used to be a huge dairy advocate - I loved milk and I especially loved yoghurt. I always hated cream and sour cream, but I thought there was nothing better a dessert then custard, mousse or ice cream and I never bypassed an opportunity for white chocolate. It was flashed in our faces to have three servings of dairy a day for our bones - so I used to have milk and yoghurt on my breakfast cereal, yoghurt for snacks, cheese in sandwiches and in dishes and creamy rich desserts. Ewww, I would barf now if I ate like that

i dont know if the schools here have it, but when i went to vancouver, both ways on the ferry they had vanilla and chocolate soymilks in little cartons. even in the hospital cafeteria. it was great.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I was the same as you, Banana, an absolute addict! Although I never liked "pure" milk, I always had and enjoyed huge quantities of yoghurts, quarks and cheese of all sorts - and chocolate, yes, of course, white chocolate and ice cream and such...

I am surprised that I do not really miss either of these things now, and should I ever be tempted I just say to myself: "pus... pus... pus..." That can really put one off!!!

littleTigercub

Robin

I got a simmilar experience to Greenfaery yesterday, they were out of glasses where the water taps were so I ventured over to where the milk was served to get a glass and then return to my safe, animal-free (gosh I sure hope so! ) water. But then I spotted a small green cartoon! Containing nothing but....rice-milk!

I've never tasted rice-milk so of course I dove for it

It was to sweet really, but I think It'd be exellent to make cocoa from, which is the only way I drink my milk. I've seen this brand in the grocerystore too so I'll be able to get my hands on it (I really am addicted to cocoa, can't function without a cup in the morning, but now, there are alternatives ^^)

My kids certainly do (7 and 4, live with their dad, so eat omni - but only vegan when with me, and have been having rice and soya milks for years)
    Last edited by bittersweet; May 20th, 2005 at 12:21 PM. Reason: spelling!

Quote littleTigercub
    I wonder what would happen if they would explain to the kids the "pus issue". That really put me off...
    "Pus issue"? I mean, I can see how in a way an udder is kind of like one giant pimple, but I would think that most people drinking it would say that one comes out of pimples isn't the same as what comes out of a cow's udder. Could you elaborate on that one for me?

FR

A cow's udder is abused from excessive milking. Pus is formed in the udder to help heal the over milked udder. This pus is passed along when the cow is milked. Mmmm, got pus?

This milk hangup with schools is awful. Before I started homeschooling, my eldest child was in a school. They had the omni food pyramid poster hung up in the cafeteria. Although I was very clear in explaining to the teacher that my child does not eat meat or drink milk, and that they have to respect this, the teacher still had rounds with my child. Although it made me mad, I was thrilled with my son. They told him he had to sit there and could not come back to class until heat ate the turkey and drank the milk. So, he just sat there. Eventually, the teacher sent another child to go get him to bring him back to class. HA!

Default Re: Great news Peas'nHominy

That's kind of surprising to hear that a teacher would try to force a student to compromise his ethics like that. But I am proud of him for standing his ground! That is really awesome.

Thanks for the explanation FR, that really grossed me out, but now when people say to me "cow's are going to make milk anyway" I will have a nice little piece of info for them.

Hey Kim[ba] check out this site for info on pus in milk. You can even find out how much pus on average is in milk in each American state!

Enjoy x

Quote Green_Faery
    Victory!!! I was siting at lunch with my granola bar as usual and my friend comes by and tells me they have soy milk now. I couldn't believe it so I got up to see for myself, and it's true! 65 cents for a carton of Silk's "very vanilla." yum!
    Good for you Kid !
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Quote Glen
    Hey Kim[ba] check out this site for info on pus in milk. You can even find out how much pus on average is in milk in each American state!

Enjoy x
    sadly, a lot of the studies and sources used on that website are very out of date. i'm not saying that none of what is in their is true nowadays, but i think some things *have* changed, and arguing a point is very hard when there are faults with your source.
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

Quote Green_Faery
    You are extremely lucky indeed! Although they did rid our school of soda and candy (A.K.A junk), we still have milk, baked chips, and donuts! Who knows maybe the next step is soy milk and organic food bars!!

My school is awash with moo milk.

The food at my school is mainly vegan. There's some cheese, milk and honey for breakfast and meat every Thursday, but that's an alternative to the vegan food, not the other way around.

I'm fortunate to go to a private school. It's a speciel school with democracy, "one vote for each person", no grades and no teachers' room.