Thread: rice and cookie recipes?

Default rice and cookie recipes?

i bought some brown rice but i was wondering if anyone knows any good recipes to flavor it up a bit? also, id like to try to make some vegan choclate chip cookies. know any recipes? or what kind of choclate chips to use? is all dark choclate vegan? thanks.
    ~mary

tails4wagging

Default Re: rice and cookie recipes?

Suggest you buy Green & Blacks plain choc. and crumble it into your recipe.

I haven't made any vegan chocolate chip cookies but you could try this site http://www.vegweb.com/recipes All dark chocolate should be vegan, and semi-sweet chocolate. Look at the ingredients. Cocoa butter is vegan. Milk chocolate and white chocolate contain cow's milk.

You will need egg replacer for some cookie recipes. In the U.S. the brand is ENER-G Egg Replacer. I forget how much is costs (I think between $4 and $7) but it's available at health food stores; not at Trader Joe's however. It's a bargain when you consider one box contains the equivalent of 113 eggs! And they don't have to be refridgerated. I have used this in many baking recipes and it really does leaven just as eggs do.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote mintchoccochip
    i bought some brown rice but i was wondering if anyone knows any good recipes to flavor it up a bit? also, id like to try to make some vegan choclate chip cookies. know any recipes? or what kind of choclate chips to use? is all dark choclate vegan? thanks.
    ~mary
    I don't know why, but when I read the title, I thought of rice AND cookies.... like "why would anyone want to eat rice and cookies at the same time"....

For flavouring rice, I spice up my rice boiling water with whatever spices I like. Whatever spices are in your water will be what your rice tastes like. Try not to use things like kitchen bouquet because it will reduce into a mess when your water absorbes out.

Not all dark chocolate is vegan (unfortunately) but you can use a vegan dark chocolate bar in place of vegan chocolate chips. Just make sure you chunk up the bar into chunks thick enough so they don't melt in the oven (trivia bit: the original chocolate chip recipe used a chocolate bar chipped up.... chocolate chips didn't come along until many years after the original Toll House cookie recipe was created).
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

try feline01's cookie recipe , rockyraccoon was after the same kind of thing, and this recipe seems to have hit the spot!

Mintchoccochip, I don't know what country you're in, but in the UK you can get choc chips which are vegan, they have them in supermarkets in the baking ingredients section...can't remember the name, but I think 'Supercook' were vegan, also some own-brand choc chips, but check the label.

Or, chop up any vegan chocolate with a knife on a chopping board...this can be quite hard because it tends to ping about all over the place. Not all dark chocolate is vegan, eg Bournville contains butter.

Choc Chip Cookie Recipe:

2 1/2 cups flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup margarine
    6 tbspn water or soya milk
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 cup chocolate chips

Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
    Cream sugar and margarine. Add water and vanilla and beat till blended.
    Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture and beat well.
    Add chocolate chips, mix well.
    Drop small spoonfuls onto greased baking sheet, squish down top with fork.
    Bake at 350 deg.C for 15 mins or until golden on the bottom, cool on wire rack.

From 'The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook'

Brown rice is nice with shoyu (soya sauce) or miso (made into a sauce with water) mixed in, or with sesame salt made by toasting sesame seeds gently in a pan over the heat, then grinding them with a pinch of salt. My kids make fried rice with Harissa Paste stirred in, that's nice as well.

It's very nice if you stir-fry onions, carrots, peas, peppers or whatever veg you like, then stir in the rice and sprinkle with shoyu. Sesame seeds are nice in this too, if you add them just before the rice.

It's also nice cold, made into a salad with chopped parsley, mint and garlic, tomato, cucumber, olives, walnuts etc, and salad dressing made from oil, vinegar, mustard and sugar shaken together in a jar.
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

California! (Here I come, right back where I started from...)

The brand of chocolate chips I get is Sunspire Organic Chocolate Chips... don't know if you're able to get those

As for brown rice, I looove to cook rice in coconut milk instead of water. Then you can add some other things, like raisins or cinnamon (mm mm, good!)

Cookies:

I have one at www.parsleysoup.co.uk that I'm very fond of. I like them so that they're still chewy, and my niece likes them done a bit longer so they are crunchy.

I use Green & Black's chocolate. Mmm. I love it.