Thread: Soda industry helps kill junk food bill

Default Soda industry helps kill junk food bill

http://www.killercoke.org/oreg0507.htm

This occured in my own state! Are we TRYING to cause obesity in the young children in this company? How could you even question not banning the sale of candy bars and soda in schools? I know that alot of schools do it for money but still...there are much better answers then to fatten up our youth. How about we stop cutting school budgets?
    "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"
    Irina Dunn :D
    "We are not human-beings, we are human-becomings"
    Roger Ames :D

Default Re: Soda industry helps kill junk food bill

I am all for banning this stuff (being a slightly overweight chocaholic myself) but I wonder, if this really helps if you do not explain to the children why you do tis.

As long as chocolate maintains the glamurous image it has, kids will keep buying it after school.

Banning - yes, but I think this should go hand in hand with nutrition education, too!

littleTigercub

I agree Tigercub. I wrote that yesterday in a fit of rage so I didn't explain all my thoughts on the subject. There is a trend occuring here in Oregon. School boards are acually allowing schools to become sponcered by companies. Not just any companies, soda companies. This is what happens...the soda company gives the school a sum of money in exchange for more soda machines around the school and advertisements to be placed in the halls. Even advertisements at school assemblies. This freaks me out. What kind of mixed message are we sending our youth if the moment they walk out of health ed. they are surrounded by ads for soda and candy? I dont blame the schools for this. I blame the budget. It seems that eduction lately has become secondary to money. I dont get it. I dont want my future children subjected to this.
    "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"
    Irina Dunn :D
    "We are not human-beings, we are human-becomings"
    Roger Ames :D

Have you red "Fatland"?

The same thing is described in this book, not only re sodas but also chocolate. It`s just gross - they *know* full well what`s happening, and yet, they do not act on it... Do they really want to raise a generation of even sicker people than we are already?

littleTigercub

The Connecticut State Senate just passed a bill to ban soft drink sales in school and limit snack foods. IF it passes the House it will be the toughest anti-junkfood law in the country. This bill bans all soda, even in high school and it requires mandatory recess. So, who's fighting it?

- Food and beverage companies (being led by CocaCola) - they feel as if they are being unfairly singled out to blame for childhood obesity

- Some school superintendents worry about the money the schools will lose from the food and bev companies

- Teamsters - they stock the vending machines and worry about job loss

- Board of Education and Services for the Blind - it seems that this agency recieves $2 million per year for the rights to vending machines in the schools and municipal buildings of Connecticut

Stay tuned.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

the secondary school my daughter is moving on to this year has a vending machine with choc/drinks in which i am not happy about. also the catering company which produces the meals is scolarest which supplied some of the meals to schools featured in the jamie oliver school dinners prog.

i really want to let the school know how i feel about these practises but my daughter has begged me not to do it - she will be starting the school on her own and desperately wants to make friends, be accepted, be popular etc etc, not be the kid with the mum who kicks up a stink about stuff. also i guess i do not want to mark her card with the headteacher etc by complaining as soon as she gets there.

i may monitor the situ and see about getting on the school governing board etc to infiltrate

daughter wants to have the school dins when she goes there. i have asked her at the very least to have the jacket spuds, veggie meals, salads etc...
    its a quandry

You could always inquire anonymously, explaining that your child does not want to be singled out. At least the school gets the message that way.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

you mean just make my point to them?

i could but i would want to get their take on the vendine machine and choice of caterer and i couldnt do that anonomously as the surnames would be a giveaway

I agree that schools should not be sponsored by products, junks food or otherwise, I also agree that elementary schools should not have vending machines but,

I don't think banning vending machines in high schools is the answer, Students in high School are typicaly 14-18 years old, during this time, they will be old enoguh to drive, hold a job, near the end they will be able to join the military and get married, why shouldn't they be able to choose their own snacks. If you don't have vending machines they will go across the street and buy it at the convience store, at least if it is a school vending machine some good is done by it.

i am seriously against vending machines in schools. secondary schools start at age 11 in the uk and for me, at that age, kids still need guiding about diet and health. kids are not allowed out of school at dinner times unless they have a note from home allowing them home for dinner.

what possible good can it do a school to have a vending machine in it cwih57?

i try to look after my daughters health and that includes not really wanting her to eat/drink too much junk...of course she does eat/drink some from time to time

I agree with cwih57, that`s why I suggested that it is pointless to abolish the machine and not at the same time educate the kids about making better choices. Because they will just go and buy their choccies elsewhere, no doubt!

littleTigercub

I think it does "good" though not so much good as teaching, to have bad options. I agree with tiger lily, Young Adults need to learn how to make good choices, not have parents make them for them for their whole life, only to be suddenly thrust into college or the job market, where daddy or mommy is not there to say "no junk food for lunch"

I agree that kids before high school age should not have the option of vending machines, just has they are not allowed to eat outside of luch and snack time. But High school young adults need to be able to make that decision, just as they are allowed to eat when ever they want (or at least they were at my school).

Also the good that is done by school vending machines is money for schools, my highs school paid for computers and school supplies with vending machine revenue. I wish schools got the funding they needed from the state, but in our cut taxes no matter the cost conservative government, that is not happening.

I work right near a high school and at lunch time, the kids come down to the little shopping mall in hordes, to buy their junkfood lunches:

Hot Dogs, Tacquitos, Slurpees and other assorted junk from Seven-11.
    Pizza and Pop and Cheesy/Meaty Pastas from the Pizza joint accross the road.
    Cheesy/Meaty Subs and Chips, Cookies and Pop from the Subway next door.

I guess some of them probably take their lunches to school, but one kid told me that there are only 4 microwaves available for 1000 students! And in winter time, what kid wants to eat cold food (salads etc), I know I didn't.

I think B.C. could do with a healthy school lunch program too.

By the way - not being racist or anything - but I have noticed that there seems to be A LOT more overweight and obese kids in Canada than there is in Australia.

When I speak to my colleagues with teenagers, I get the impression that it is an image thing, too. School dinners are just not "cool" while the junk from the shop is.

littleTigercub

Quote Roxy
    I guess some of them probably take their lunches to school, but one kid told me that there are only 4 microwaves available for 1000 students! And in winter time, what kid wants to eat cold food (salads etc), I know I didn't.
    Here there are zero microwaves for students...unless an office will let the kids but since they no longer allow TEAHCERS to have fridges and microwaves in their offices it's bad enough for us to get lunches heated up. Staff isn't allowed to leave campus unless an emergany during the school day...so we are stuck with what is available or what we bring and lemme tell ya, there isn't a thing here I can buy for lunch. All the veggies are cooked with butter and the salads have meat, cheese and egg on them

All the kids want are cookies, chips and soda. The few items of fruit and veggies here are ignored or tossed. If the machines were gone, they couldn't eat candy and chips for lunch. And maybe they would be forced to make a correct choice since they can't do it themselves. Most of these kids have zero ability for independent thought thanks to over protective and over giving parents who don't allow thier kids to think, form opinions or make decisions...they have to have the choices made for them...

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend