Thread: Any experiences of Prague?

VeganJohn

Default Any experiences of Prague?

I was thinking of visiting Prague in the not too distant future. I have found a few veggie listings on the web but was wondering whether anyone on the board has any first hand experiences of eating vegan in Prague?

Thanks!

Default Re: Any experiences of Prague?

Hello.

This isn't first hand, but I emailed a friend in Prague, who's not a vegan, but she said there are some vegan grocery stores, and so many resturants in the centre, that she says she's sure you'll be fine. I went years back when I was just a veggie, so it wasn't a problem for me.

Ciaran

I was in Prague in March. Try this place. It's amazing:-
    Country Life
    Melantrichova 15 (Czechia)
    420-2-2431-6406, 251
    Vegan, 7th Day Adventist restaurant

It's a serve yourself restaurant. Everything that I came across was Vegan and really cheap. For two slap-up meals, two mineral waters, a coffee and a desert, came to 18 Euro. And I was so stuffed that I could hardly walk. And it has a really good store attached to it, which has the biggest selection of tofu that I've ever seen.
    It's close to the Old City Hall, where the clock is.

Check out this link for other places to eat:-
    http://www.happycow.net/europe/czech...gue/index.html

Also went into a pizza restaurant, where the first question asked was "with or without cheese?" Most amazing pizza ever. Will get the name of that later. That worked out at less than 30 Euro for two pizzas, 3 beers, two mineral waters and a coffee.

VeganJohn

Thanks for the great info!

So glad to be a member of this forum

Ciaran

John,
    Your best bet is to get a map of Prague before you head over and mark out the streets where Vegan restaurants on the Happy Cow site are, as the street lay-out can be very confusing. I printed out the Prague restaurant page, thinking I'd find the restaurants easily. It was just by chance that I found a couple of the restaurants on the first day, otherwise I would have been stuck for food. A lot of restaurants just do traditional Czech meat dishes.
    The city is beautiful, so I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. The music scene is great. There's very little of the crap that's in our charts. And I found most people to be very friendly and helpful. I had heard a lot of reports about people being mugged, but didn't get any hassle myself. Most, if not all, major cities have a mugging problem. I was offered drugs on numerous occasions.
    Food and drink is dirt cheap in most places. It was definitely one of the cheapest holidays I've ever been on. When are you going?

wow, thank's for starting this thread.

My mum (a non vegan) and i are off too prague on the 22nd of june. i was a bit scared about eating out. i had resigned myself to the fact that i would just have too eat veggi insted of vegan for the duration of my stay. hopefully if we can find the resturant's i wont have too

Quote Xenakicksass
    My mum (a non vegan) and i are off too prague
    This is from www.ivu.org

Jsem vegan(ka) - I'm vegan
    Nejim maso, vejce a syry - I don't eat meat, eggs and cheese
    Nepiji mleko - I don't drink milk
    Je v teto polevce ( v tomto jidle ) maso? - Is there any meat in this soup (in this meal)?
    Nejim maso, kurata, ryby - I don't eat meat, chicken, fish

It might be worth getting the vegan passport or Vegetarian Europe .

thank you for those phrase i will get them printed off and laminate them and i will show then to the waiter, save me having to try to pronunce those word;' lol

VeganJohn

I don't know when I will be visiting as I am rather low on cash at the minute! Thanks for the tip about the map

what a great thread! I am going to Prague next weekend and had only done research on Veganism in Vienna and completely forgot about Prague.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

I spent a week in prague not that long ago. I found it very easy to eat Vegan,as the the resturant's i went in too had a veggie option that could easily be made vegan. Don't go too TGI friday's" though as they don't even have a veggie option to start with,they did make me up a sald but uit was complelty rubbish, it consisted of iceberg lettuce and tomato and they charhed me a full price for that.

I vivisted on vegan resturant called "Country life" which was gorgeous and it is very near the main shopping area. they also have a wee vegan grocer shop next too it too.

VeganJohn

Hi Xena,

Glad you found being vegan in Prague not to be a hassle! Can you remember the places you ate at? My visit has had to be postponed but I still intend to go in the not too distant future. Was it easy to go for breakfast and buy soya milk? I have looked at some of the entries on Happy Cow and they seem very decent