Thread: vegan chinese food?

Default vegan chinese food?

does anyone know if there are any chinese vegan foods available? im supposed to go out for chinese tommorow and im not sure if there is anything i can eat.

Red face

I would go for a vegie or tofu stir fry with plain steamed rice, but just check for oyster/fish sauce - ask for a plain soy or black bean sauce or some chinese even have satay which is normally vegan. Just ask plenty of questions!!!

what about vegetable fried rice?

It may be different in Chinese restaurants where you are, but here in London they tend to put egg in fried rice, so plain boiled rice is a better bet.

Here they often have several more-or-less-vegan dishes on the menu such as a variety of tofu dishes, and one called Monks' Vegetables, but I agree it is a good idea to ask them to hold the fish or oyster sauce to be on the safe side. At least Chinese cooking doesn't usually include butter, cheese or yoghurt, so that's one thing you don't have to worry about!

tails4wagging

If they have deep fried beancurd(tofu) its yummy, why dont you ring ahead and ask them for a vegan dish for you?

yeah, i got some veggie fried-rice the other day, but it was take-out, and they make it right on the spot so i just ordered it without the eggs since it comes with it around here.
    "freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"

Quote foxytina_69
    does anyone know if there are any chinese vegan foods available? im supposed to go out for chinese tommorow and im not sure if there is anything i can eat.
    Chinese Vegan Recipes.

Right on !

Manish

Thanks for posting that, Manish!

Manish, those look fantastic!

blue or Artichoke , if you make one, send me a bite as attachment in a email.

manish

Sure thing!

Quote let_me_view
    blue or Artichoke , if you make one, send me a bite as attachment in a email.

manish
    Maybe I'll send you some chocolate cake, too.

Cryospark

Default Re: vegan chinese food?

well spring rolls, satay sauce, black bean sauce, sweet & sour sauce, steamed rice and vegetables in any combination is all vegan food that's what i get from the take away place near me.

friendly fri

Talking Re: vegan chinese food?

yeah man!! now i went to taiwan in february 2005 it was a real delight, tons of green vegetables, exquisite tofu, and myriad sago based vegan tinned desserts using soya or coconut milk,,,lush!!stick to fried tofu with chillis and youll be in heaven i,ll warrant!!!

Many chinese foods are vegan, if u visit a vegetarian chinese restaurant in Asia, most of the time u just hav to be concern about the diary products used - like for example: milk instead of coconut milk in Vegetarian laksa. However, some veg places do include egg in some of their dishes.

Are tofu dishes with Szechuan sauce vegan? (I hope I got the spelling OK)

Mostly, yes.

Last November I was in Szechuan and the typical concoction is: sesame oil, chillies, Szechuan peppercorns and possibly: prickly ash, garlic, ginger, soysauce, vinegar and binders such as starch.

Ground pork can make its way into dishes as seasoning and oyster sauce is not impossible.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

They may be in Szechuan, but I doubt many of the people who serve it in Herefordshire have been there or are more interested in authenticity than cheap
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

okay, add caramel colour, msg, potassium sorbate and dextrose and you get the Herefordshire original recipe

Talking of authentic english chinese takeaway food, I've been lusting ever since I turned vegan almost 10 years ago for a decent substitute for the battered chicken/pork 'balls' from takeaways that comes with a dipping pot (aka foam cup) of (bright orange) sweet and sour sauce.

I nailed the sauce a few years back, thanks for bryanna grogan clark's chinese book. I tried several things (tofu, seiten etc) for the balls and didn't get anything that worked well. I've had substitutes in restuarants that are pretty good, but not as.

Last night I tried deep frying the newish redwoods chicken pieces in beer batter. I'm pleased to announce that the results were reasonably good - certainly worth more work. I was told they were "better than takeaway ones", but that was because my batter wasn't as thick. I quite like the thick batter

Quote indianvegan View Post
    Chinese Vegan Recipes.

Right on !

Manish
    fab

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Talking of authentic english chinese takeaway food, I've been lusting ever since I turned vegan almost 10 years ago for a decent substitute for the battered chicken/pork 'balls' from takeaways that comes with a dipping pot (aka foam cup) of (bright orange) sweet and sour sauce.

I nailed the sauce a few years back, thanks for bryanna grogan clark's chinese book. I tried several things (tofu, seiten etc) for the balls and didn't get anything that worked well. I've had substitutes in restuarants that are pretty good, but not as.

Last night I tried deep frying the newish redwoods chicken pieces in beer batter. I'm pleased to announce that the results were reasonably good - certainly worth more work. I was told they were "better than takeaway ones", but that was because my batter wasn't as thick. I quite like the thick batter

I hear you on that one. My order was always chicken balls with egg fried rice. I've managed to sort the 'egg' fried rice. Please would you be able to PM the recipe for the sauce? Then I'll get to work on the balls I've got a few batter recipes to have a go with. Let us know how you get on with your batter.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Quote indianvegan View Post
    Chinese Vegan Recipes.

Right on !

Manish
    Awesome! I've saved that one to Favourites.

I've now perfected my balls technique. It's a little hard to describe, but I'll give it a go.

1) Make the batter quite thick. Not overly so, but thicker than you would a pancake batter. Somewhere in between pancake and cake batter. If in doubt test a bit first to make sure you have it right.
    2) Flouring the thing you're battering makes the batter puff out a lot more and make them look like the ones in take aways. It also traps air causing them float immediately to the surface and making them less likely to stick to the basket.
    3) Knock any 'legs' of batter off whilst it's frying with a metal spoon as soon as its cooked enough.
    4) Cook them 90% as close to serving as possible, then do the final 10% at the last minute.

I've now perfected my balls technique.
    Oh dear lord that gave me a laugh! I've got a hangover this morning and that's the first thing that could even raise a smile with me!
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

BlackCats

Quote Barry O Connor View Post
    Oh dear lord that gave me a laugh! I've got a hangover this morning and that's the first thing that could even raise a smile with me!
    I laughed at that too.

I recently found this recipe for Chinese takeaway style curry sauce. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like it may be yummy with vegetables and rice.

I snorted at Mr Flibble's balls too.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

I snorted at Mr Flibble's balls too.

This is officially the best thread ever!

I think you're best off ordering a vegetable stir fry with tofu and rice or something like this. I've actually been to china before but I had a really hard time eating vegan! I ended up eating a lot of this cabbage-like vegetable, steamed rice and bean curd, which is sort of like tofu I guess. There aren't a whole lot of vegetarian options in a restaurant in china! Luckily in the US and elsewhere 'chinese' food is more varied for people like vegans

Yeah I had 'real' chinese food when I was in nepal and thought it was bloody disgusting! Very vegan un-friendly from what I remember.. Bean curd is tofu by the way

So, who wants to see my balls then?

I've tried several different batter consistancies now (including using a mainly cornflour based recipe), but the standard beer batter seems to work the best.

Mr Flibble, let me be the first to congratulate you on your extremely tasty looking balls.

thank you, I'd just tossed my balls in hot oil when that picture was taken.

I would jump right on them balls, if I didn't have a potential allergy to such things.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

fphilips

Quote Gwydion View Post
    I would jump right on them balls, if I didn't have a potential allergy to such things.
    Ok , this is actually the first time I let people know about how I lost 100lbs !!!
    It was my little secret so far but honestly, now that I am more self confident I feel like I can share this! I grew up being bullied because I was the faty of the class, you know how kids can be cruel!!! growing up, I had very little confidence and dated 1 our 2 girls only during my teen times!! If I only knew What I was about to reveal to you back in thoses days....

I used to try diets that did not work, I also went to the gym a few times but because I was waaayy too self conscience about my weight I just quit...but everything changed when I went travel around the asia continent ....wow what great experience that was... I found that instead trying cruel diets, I decided to complete reset my ways about food and I found myself melting like a snow man on spring!!! Vegetarian Asian food saved my life. period. I was 300lbs and now 200lbs within 1 year and a half !!! here are some of my favorites meals that you can find on this fabolous book I recommend !

- Red Chili Bok Choy
    - Triple Slice Tofu (just three ingredients)

there actually a ton of meals you can cook and start seeing a difference around your waist!!!
    At first I could not found a VERY good book ... or some of them were ok, but not satisfying!!
    I'm not a very picky person, just that I spent 6 months around asian contries and tasted the best vege food ever!!! anyways I found this guy name jim yang (amazing cook!) and he has this book call :
    quick and easy chinese vegetarian cooking...and a few more, I most say that it changed my life for ever...

Here's the link for what was for me a life changing decision :

http://618a95zfzbh8bq25mk7li7hf6n.ho...?tid=VEGEFOOD1

Once you are introduced to this one you'll have a complete different look at your meals!!!

best regards friends!!

if you get a stir-fry make sure you ask for soy sauce as i know my local chinese automatically puts oyster sauce on theirs!

Wow, after all this time on the forum, fphilips, you decided to share.

Maybe I will download the book and post all the recipes on Food.com
    Last edited by pat sommer; Feb 13th, 2012 at 09:28 AM.

Naughty pat

veganosie - the boss of our local Chinese restaurant understands about vegans and has the vegan version of oyster sauce (which is made of mushrooms apparently) to hand. In case anyone's passing through Putney/Wandsworth, it's the not very exotic sounding "Chinese Tonight" in the Upper Richmond Road. (I'm afraid I'm repeating myself but she deserves some publicity IMO!)

harpy that's so thoughtful. unfortunately ours is a VERY small restaurant (about five tables) in a very small town, so i doubt their oyster sauce is vegan...luckily they understood what a vegan was and offered me soy sauce! (not very common around here - the town is dominated by traditionalists and the "older generation"!)

Quote pat sommer View Post
    Wow, after all this time on the forum, fphilips, you decided to share.

Maybe I will download the book and post all the recipes on Food.com
    Hey, at least he quoted a post completely relevant to his argument.

Ask if they make or buy their sauces. If pre-made just get the brand to look up.

If homemade, you can try printing out a sheet with images of containers: soysauce beanpaste oyster sauce chicken stock Shaoxing wine sesame oil hot sauce hoisin, along with some animal bits. She can point. Just human nature really; we don't do abstract well but recognize concrete immediately.

With you there! Maybe somebody else you know interested in allergens or such can help you out sometime with asking...
    I just haven't gotten myself up to trying as often as I could.

Hello,
    I'm Chinese, I do have some recipes for Chinese foods up in my blog (though i love to experiment with a combination of both East and West)
    www.morethanveggies.tumblr.com
    Enjoy!

My goodness, I've been having a look to your blog and everything looks yuuuuuummy!!! Congratulations, is amazing what you do, and thank you for showing it to us