Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chickpea recipes

Default Re: Chickpea Miso recipes?

Well, thanks for replying anyway Roxy!

What are the ingredients of it?
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

ingredients are -

organic chickpeas, organic rice koji, traditionally made sun-dried sea salt, Blue Ridge Mtn well water, koji spores

And i am not making those ingredients up - allthough they kinda sound that way as they are very specific.

I guess you could just use it where you'd use ordinary miso .... soup? I'm not wild about miso, so I'm not much help, sorry

What on earth is a Koji spore?

Quote Roxy View Post
    What on earth is a Koji spore?
    That'll be aspergillus oryzae, a fungus used in Chinese and Japanese cuisine. It ferments soybeans to produce miso and soy sauce (*quickly closes Wikipedia*)

Oops, was that a rhetorical question?

Vegan Traveler

So chickpea miso is very yummy Take a table spoon of it, put it in some water, and boil.. chickpea Miso soup! You can also use it in many recipes, but usually, I make soup with it...
    - The Duck
    Let's do something about it!

Thanks guys! I guess I will go for the soup...my other half didn't seem to excited about miso soup, but if i like it, I'll eat it all myself.

howdawg, what are the porportions you use for miso soup? 1 T to a few cups water? i think i will maybe add some tofu and green onions on top too.

I do like miso soup, but i generally buy it in packets, and i like the darker ones better if I remember right...haven't even eaten it in ages.

Vegan Traveler

Yah one or maybe even two tablespoons... You want it to all completely dissolve. If you have the right amount, it will look thick, but actually won't be... I also like to dice up some tofu and add it and then top with chives.. Good luck!
    - The Duck
    Let's do something about it!

Default Re: Chickpea recipes

hiya..does anyone have a tried and tested fabulous recipe for making chickpea pasties?
    Am after a sort of stodgy consistency inside..like super hearty and filling sort of thing. Ty.

I love your posts Emma, they rock!!!!!

Aww! Ta

Get you being super nice to me (carry on..I like it!!!)

but DO you know of a great chickpea pasty recipe?!!??!

have found a google chickpea recipe site with apparently 741 chickpea recipes..so far about 93 of them have been for variations on hummous...

Uhhh... I probably wouldn't put chickpeas in pastry because that spells heavy to me. Chickepea pancakes, on the other hand (and also onion bhajis, variation on the same theme) are another story...
    But if you insist, you could put anything in a pasty... right?

I'lll sleep on it

Carry on Emma, you kick ass

There is also chick pea flour, aka gram flour, excellent for making those onion bhajis. It is much more nutritious than wheat flour.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I've been daydreaming all day about how I'm gonna make the perfect chickpea pastie (saddo me )..and had a go when I got home tonight..they're okay..not great..edible though! (i added frozen garden peas and WAY too many of them - the whole thing went past chickpea pasty into the realms of just PEA PASTIE)

The recipe needs tweaking dramatically and when it's fabulous I'll post!

I don't think chickpeas are too heavy for pastry though fiamma..maybe it depends on what the pastry is like? (Also not a pastry expert, so maybe this has some bearing on the end result of my pastie 'experimentation')

I'm thinking a tomato-based filling, maybe with the addition of garlic and rosemary, plus a little potato.

Or cumin, ginger and coriander. That should spice things up nicely

This recipe for roasted chickpeas is from "How it all Vegan" and I really like it for a munchy snack:

pat dry a can of chickpeas and combine in a bowl with a couple tablespoons olive oil. add salt, garlic, cayenne pepper, or any combination of spices that tastes good to you (i love curry powder on everything, so that's what i usually use). bake at 450 for 40 minutes or until brown and crunchy. don't let them burn, as they tend to get really done really fast at the end!

Default Re: Sprouting Chickpeas

And how could I make raw tahini??

i have a recipe for a really nice butter bean and miso stew. it doesn't say particularly chickpea miso, i usually use the ginger one. would you like it anyway? sorry this is so long after you posted! oh, and i think miso just makes a nice addition to most soups really, and it's really nutritious! tri

There are quite a few recipes requiring the chickpea miso in the 'Uncheese Cookbook'. Do you have that one?

Sure Triona, I'll take that recipe. I still have my unopened tub. I can't tell you how many times I bought green onions and ginger and went to make miso soup and then just never did! I don't know what my problem is...

auntierozzi, no I don't have any of the uncheese cookbooks, allthough I hear quite good things about them, so maybe I should invest! Do you like yours? I am quite weird with cheese. I think i miss it, but then when I go and buy fake soycheese I can never figure out what to do with it. I guess I miss the idea of cheese...ie - always something vegetarain on the resturaunt menu (grilled cheese, mac and cheese, cheese sandwhich, cheese pizza, etc).

Hi has anyone made falafel from scratch? I´ve tried dry mixture that you mix with water but they do not taste satisfying to me.

Hello there! This is a Rose Elliot recipe that we have enjoyed. Remember to soak the chickpeas the night before.

Falafel with lemon sauce
    for the falafel:
    1 3/4 cups dried chickpeas
    1 small onion roughly chopped
    1 cup coriander
    2 garlic cloves roughly chopped
    1 tbsp ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 tbsp gram flour
    canola oil for frying

lemon sauce :
    4 tablespoon plain vegan yoghurt
    4 " vegan mayo
    grated zest of 1/2 lemon
    warm halved pita, shredded lettuce, sliced tom. and cucumber and onion, fresh mint and grated carrot to serve

Put the chickpeas in a saucepan and cover with lots of water. Bring to the boil and boil for 2 mins. then leave to soak for 2 hours or over night. Drain

Put the drained chickpeas into a food processor with onion, coriander, garlic, cumin, baking soda and salt and whiz until the ingredients are finely ground and holding together.

Take a small handfull of the mixture and squeeze in between your palms to extract extra liquid. Repeat until you've used up all the mixture, then coat the falafels lightly in flour.

Shallow fry the falafel in hot canola oil until brown and crisp on all sides. Drain on paper towel.

To make the sauce, mix up all the ingredients together. Serve the falafel with warm pita and salad.

Hope you like it.

Thanks auntierozzi. Do i understand this correct? First i soak the chickp. overnight and then i boil them for 2 min. and leave them to soak for 2 hours or over night again?

Thanks for these recipes; I'm a bit skint right now and chickpeas are a really cheap source of protein for me. I think I'll try the Chickpea and Tofu curry.

Also chick pea and spinach curry.
    Fry chopped onions in some oil, add your favourite spices, add cooked chick peas, then add spinach. I use frozen spinach as it is cheap and convenient. Then cook it for an hour or so, adding some water if it seems dry. Add salt to your taste.

I´ve tried auntierozzi`s suggestion of falafel recipe. Tasted very nice but I did`nt drain the chickpeas well enough( I think) so it was a little bit too moist. I added parsley and 1/2 a tsp five spice to the recipe.

one of my favourite things is chana masala. i always used to get it from the curry place on the way home from a late shift at work, and finally decided to make it myself. this is the best recipe i've found so far, and tastes pretty good. it's nice with some spinach

http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/ar.../chana-masala/

it calls for 'chana masala' powder, but i asked an indian friend of mine who told me to replace it with ground coriandar, garam masala and cumin seeds.

amanda

mm, that sounds delicious...and the pictures on that site make my mouth water!
    Piggy

do people here make hummous with tinned or raw soaked chickpeas?

i usually just blitz up a tin of chickpeas with all the other ingredients and that tastes ace, but fancied using dried ones cos of the way you get to spend less and it goes further and less packaging and all that.

so for raw chickpeas..would it be good to just soak them for 12 hours of whatever then blitz up or do they need a bit of boiling?!

i bet fiamma will know...
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Quote emmapresley View Post
    do people here make hummous with tinned or raw soaked chickpeas?

i usually just blitz up a tin of chickpeas with all the other ingredients and that tastes ace, but fancied using dried ones cos of the way you get to spend less and it goes further and less packaging and all that.

so for raw chickpeas..would it be good to just soak them for 12 hours of whatever then blitz up or do they need a bit of boiling?!

i bet fiamma will know...
    I find raw ones a bit indigestible - sprouting them is meant to make them more digestible but even then I find they benefit from light cooking. Probably depends on your digestion though!

I usually soak the dried ones 2 days and then drain them and freeze them, then I cook then for at least 10 minutes.
    But the freezing part is optional, I tend to soak a lot at once to have them ready, then just take them ot the freezer when I fancy chick peas, I often cook them and put half in hummus and the other half in a curry. The freezing makes them go soft faster when you cook them. Its also a good way of having them on hand. I buy dried chick peas in bulk, because I use a lot on a regular basis.

wow...two days, really?

you have to change the water then, presumably after a day or ??

i was intending to soak mine for just 12 hours..specifically this time to make raw hummous..then i should boil them for ten mins rapid, yep?

i soak chickpeas and then boil them for about 45 mins.. other wise theyre indigestible.

wow...two days, really?

you have to change the water then, presumably after a day or ??

i was intending to soak mine for just 12 hours..specifically this time to make raw hummous..then i should boil them for ten mins rapid, yep?
    12 hours should be enough, I do 2 days because I find they swell up a bit more. I change the water twice a day if I remember.
    If you want raw hummus I suggest getting them to start a tiny sprout. This involves a soak and then a period allowing to sprout. I have done it this way in the past. Sprouting increases the nutritional value. Up to you of course.

i've been rinsing them twice a day for 2 days now.. and they've all sprouted a cute little white curly sprout i'm going to do another rinse later, leave them overnight then blanche them..then blitz them into ace hummous.

i'm following a recipe

(therefore..it CANNOT fail!!!!!)

right-o!

i've just finished making this and after a good 20 minutes of blitzing (10 tens in brenda (my blender of 13 years) it wasn't really the texture i was happy with..i whizzed it up with the mouli job for another ten mins. it's sort of fluffier now..still a bit grainy..a lot lighter in colour..is it supposed to be like this?

ooooh, i don't know if i like it more than my tinned whizzed up version

i have never talked to anyone who actually liked raw hummous but there must be someone. it is really healthy, though, so.. EAT IT

i really don't get this...evry time i've tried making raw hummus, it's been awful. the only thing that's worked so far, is using canned chickpeas. i'm going to try cooking dry chickpeas myself tonite, and see how that turns out in comparison to the canned ones. what i can't understand is that everywhere i looked, i would find recommendations like:" ..and whatever you do, DON'T use cooked, or, worse, canned chickpeas!".....now why would that be?
    Piggy

the hummous i made (which is now all gone!!) was definately better the day after i'd made it. it certainly has a totally different taste to using cooked chikpeas..lighter..bit earthier..but still really rich...well like more sprouty .and i added extra bits to it when i served it up (dribbles of ev olive oil, loads of paprika and some marigold bouillon)..

i think maybe because it wasn't at all cooked (i let the sprouted chickpeas sit in boiled kettle water for a few mins) it took ages to blitz up..and was still pretty 'gritty'..though this morning the texture was a lot less so.

i certainly wouldn't have said it was awful piggy..just a whole lot different to canned ones. i dunno..i might make it again..but i think i prefer the canned homemade hummous best. that's the stuff that makes you moan into it (that's not just me, right?)

um..they probably say you should "never, ever, blah blah blah" because of some superior protein vitamin enzyme that you'll be denying yourself..

If I make hummus I make it with tinned ones, as I probably said further back in the thread. The people who want you to use raw ones are probably raw food people who believe everything is better eaten raw?

I do like eating other sprouts raw, e.g. mung beans, alfalfa seeds, broccoli seeds, but chickpeas are just too tough IMO. There are some things that aren't worth doing even for enzymes

Quote harpy View Post
    There are some things that aren't worth doing even for enzymes
    quite right

Quote harpy View Post
    The people who want you to use raw ones are probably raw food people who believe everything is better eaten raw?
    i don't think so...it's just that all (and i mean all) the recipes i've come across have said something to the effect that the authentic arab(?) way to do it is using raw, soaked-only chickpeas or that cooked ones are a total no-no. i thought it would taste horrible if i dared try to cook them then i read on here about people using canned chickpeas ...end of story
    Piggy

the canned ones are a lot softer than the ones you cook yourself. i usually soak mine for about 12 hours, then cook them for 45 mins, then cool them down (freeze them or refridgerate them, and then I cook them for another 45 mins or so.. then they're a lot nicer to make hommous from..

btw i have a really nice, healthy recipe with chickpeas:

one handful sprouts, one can of chickpeas, a little bit of sun flower seeds and some pumpkin seeds as a salad, served with mustard vinaigrette, flaxseed oil and salt and pepper. YUMMIE. and a protein/fiber meal as nothing else.

today i tried making hummus from scratch...using dried, soaked for 2 days in the fridge, COOKED for 2 hrs chickpeas. it was great, better even than using the canned ones! i think the raw hummus attempts must have put me off using dry chickpeas. i'm so glad this worked! and it's cheaper than using canned ones too!
    i added some oil and water into the blender, to get the right consistency, along with salt, garlic powder, dried chilli and lemon juice.

only downside: i really hate the smell of soaking chickpeas. has anyone noticed how horrible it is? or are my chickpeas unique in this?
    Piggy

i hadn't really noticed a 'smell'?? but i forgot to change my chickpea water this morning..i just drained them now cos i am going to make more hummous (soaked for 2 days then boiled for as long as i can be arsed)..and the water i drained off was gloopy...eww

Quote piggy View Post
    today i tried making hummus from scratch...using dried, soaked for 2 days in the fridge, COOKED for 2 hrs chickpeas. it was great, better even than using the canned ones! i think the raw hummus attempts must have put me off using dry chickpeas. i'm so glad this worked! and it's cheaper than using canned ones too!
    i added some oil and water into the blender, to get the right consistency, along with salt, garlic powder, dried chilli and lemon juice.

only downside: i really hate the smell of soaking chickpeas. has anyone noticed how horrible it is? or are my chickpeas unique in this?
    My soaked chickpeas always smell of fart. I think its normal, particularly if it is warm where you soak them.
    Congratulations piggy on your recipe success.

..and the water i drained off was gloopy...eww

i have tried that!! it is gross. ooops - now i remember i have sprouts on my kitchen table, that needs to be washed. and i'm not home till tomorrow night. hope they'll do ok.

Apparently you can turn the goopyness of the water to an advantage - some people use it like stock because it's a similar consistency to chicken stock apparently. I don't remember where I heard that though, or any good recipes.

I'm considering making sweet cakes out of chick peas because they seem good for protein and calcium which I'm not sure I'm getting enough of at the moment, and I have a craving for cake, and a bunch of dried chickpeas languishing in my cupboards. So far I've only found variations of this recipe, which looks okay apart from the 4 eggs! anyone tried to make anything like this?

pavotrouge

I haven't tried that, but sounds like some sweet falafel !

Are USA chickpeas any different from regular ones