Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Chickpea recipes

Default Re: Chickpea recipes

Quote Smoothie View Post
    i soak chickpeas and then boil them for about 45 mins.. other wise theyre indigestible.
    Yep, same here. Usually for 12 hours soak too.

I like to buy tinned mixed beans/pulses and, after draining them off, mixing them with chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, spring onions, etc. Mixed in again with cold rice is yummy! This is about the only way (aside from chilli) I get my beans/pulses so I try and do it often
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

I've found a recipe for chickpeas!

The chickpea or garbanzo bean is a cool-season annual that requires about 100 days to reach harvest. Sow chickpeas in the garden about the date of the average last frost in spring or slightly earlier. Chickpeas require a long growing season; to get a head start on the season, sow chickpeas indoors in a peat or paper pot several weeks before transplanting out. Set the chickpea and biodegradable pot whole in the garden when the plant is 4 to 5 inches tall.

Sorry. I'll get my coat.

Here is a recipe that I found online. I've tried this one myself and it was good.

Monastery Chickpea Stew

1 pound garbanzo beans, soaked
    8 ounces green beans
    8 ounces raw potatoes, diced
    1 carrot, chopped
    1 leek, chopped
    1/2 medium onion, chopped
    4 tablespoons olive oil
    Good pinch sweet paprika
    2 cloves garlic, mashed
    1 tablespoon powdered cumin

Directions:

1) Put the garbanzos on to boil until about half cooked.

2) Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat oil and sauté onion and garlic until it starts to brown. Remove from heat and *quickly* toss in paprika, mixing well. Set aside.

3) In a soup pot, put your garbanzos (remove part of the cooking water if there's a whole lot; no more than an inch above the garbanzos is necessary from this point) and other vegetables and the spice mixture. Continue cooking, uncovered, until the garbanzos are tender. There shouldn't be a lot of broth. Check seasoning (especially salt) and serve hot.

Serves: 6

I just made some killer hummus by using LOTS of Velentina hot sauce, brown sugar, 1/2 small bottle of hemp oil, garlic and ginger. Oh and I soaked and cooked my own chickpeas. ^_^

Catalan chickpeas with tomatoes, saffron and almonds

One of the best chickpea recipes I've come across, whose origins may go back to the middle ages, if the ingredients are anything to go by. Warmly recommended.

Default Re: roasted chickpeas

I'm bumping this thread because I plan to try making these soon. I need to include more pulses in my diet and am looking for interesting ways to do so.

Anyone have more recipes to share?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Re other recipes with pulses/legumes (perhaps we should put this in another thread?) I thought this butter bean recipe in today's Observer sounded quite nice and not too much trouble - I imagine you could substitute tinned ones as well

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...-herbs-recipes

The first recipe there is anything but vegan, but the salad one sounds quite nice too I thought.

Try this for simplicity: as soon as the chick peas are cooked and drained and are still steaming, get a mugful and sprinkle some tamari over them. Let it soak in for a minute if you can. Heaven.

I also did that with cider vinegar instead of tamari: nearly as good in an odd sort of way.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

broil them for about 10-15 minutes smothered in olive oil and your favourite spices. Nice for a snack or to throw on top of a boring salad!

We also commonly saute veggies throw in some salsa and some chickpeas. Simmer in cayenne and lime juice and let the chikpeas soften up and absorb the spices. Simmer of excess liquid and serve over rice.
    takes about 20 minutes total.