Default Chickpea recipes

serves 4

2 tins chickpeas
    2inch piece root ginger, grated
    1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 tsp garam masala
    2 tins chopped tomatoes
    salt and pepper

put a little oil into pan and add ginger and garlic, fry gently for a few mins, add garam masala and cook for a couple of mins.
    add drained chickpeas and tomatoes with their juice and simmer gently for about 15 mins, season if it needs it

done! hope you enjoy this if you try it, banana

Thanks cedarblue - I'll make that tomorrow, but only one tin of chick peas!
    Eve

mmm sounds delicious i love chickpeas.

garam masala is chickpea flour right?

Smile

Garam Masala is a mixed Indian Spice of, I think cumin, coriander, chili, cardamom and something else....I am not sure!!!
    But thanx cedarblue, sounds yummy! I love chickpeas

I've never heard of that spice. I'll have to check into it.

Quote Artichoke47
    I've never heard of that spice. I'll have to check into it.

you should be able to buy it as a ready-mix jar off the shelf. do you know any asian foodstores? they will definately have it.

Garam Masala is the spice (-mix) I use the most, along with Tandoori Masala. Welcome to the masala world!

I don't know of any Asian stores around here, but maybe Wild Oats will have it, as they have a small Asian/ethnic section. I'll check it out!

I found a recipe for garam masala:

2 T. cumin
    2 T. coriander
    2 tsp. black pepper
    1 tsp. ground cardamom
    1 tsp. ground ginger
    1/8 tsp. cinnamon
    1/8 tsp. ground cloves
    1/8 tsp. nutmeg.

Combine and store in an air-tight container.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Default Sprouting Chickpeas

Hey guys...I am trying to sprout chickpeas and I have never sprouted anything before in my life.

I saw on some website that to sprout chickpeas, you need to soak them for 48 hours and rinse them 3 times a day. Does rinsing just mean changing the water?

Also, what is the best recipe for 'raw hummus' - I figured that this would be a nutritious and cheap spread for my lunch!!!

ConsciousCuisine

Shugar, in my opinion, you picked the most challenging thing to sprout for a newbie

Personally, I don't care for Raw Hummus, ( I kust make "Faux-Hummus" with nuts and seeds substituted) but here's my recipe for Raw Hummus:

1 c. chick pea sprouts
    2 lemons or limes, juiced
    3 cloves garlic
    4 T. raw tahini
    2-4 T. Raw Oilve Oil or Sesame Oil
    Celtic sea salt to taste

Optional: 1/2 tsp. ground curry, corriander, cumin, basil, chives, paprika, cayenne pepper or 1/3 C. Raw Olives or Raw Sundried Tomatoes (soaked in 6 oz. water and drained)

Blend all of the ingredients. Add water or sesame milk to thin.

I am attempting to sprout them as well. I started yesterday.

In my 'Raw' book there are directions in regards to sprouting.

Soak them for 8 hours place a colander over the bucket and drain. Leave it overnight. Rinse the beans the next day in a bucket or bowl filled with water and briefly swirl with your hand. Return them to the colander until the next rinsing, 1 day later. Rinse once daily until your beans sprout a "tail" about 1/4 inch long. In the book it says garbanzo beans take 2-3 days to sprout.

I have not tried this but here is a recipe from my Raw Foods cookbook:

Raw Sprouted Hummus
    2 cups sprouted garbanzo beans
    ½ cup fresh parsley
    ¼ cup pitted olives
    ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
    ½ teaspoon jalepeno
    I tablespoon minced garlic
    ¼ cup tahini
    ¼ to ½ cup olive oil
    1 teaspoon Mexican Spice Chutney
    ¼ cup Shoyu or 1 ½ teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt

Place all ingredients in blender and blend until creamy.

Mexican Spice Chutney
    ½ cup Black cumin (I’m going to use the brown cumin)
    ½ cup sun-dried lime

Grind the sun-dried lime in a coffee grinder. Mix in spice.
    Store the mix in a tightly sealed jar.
    Makes about 3/4 cup.

~~ETA~~
    CC that looks recipe yummy. I think I will make both and see which I like better. I can't believe the recipe in the book did not have garlic. I plan on adding it anyway. I love garlic.

MzNatural,

I'm a bit confused about the sprouting instructions. Are the chickpeas soaked, then rinsed and placed in the colander dry overnight? Then rinsed again the following day and replaced in the colander? I gather this means no special sprouting equipment is required. I would love to try it if no special equipment is needed.

YAY my chickpeas are starting to sprout!!!! I think they will take at least 1 more day though - and you don't need to have any equipment. I just have the chickpeas in a bowl in the dark, and three times a day I have been rinsing them through a colander. But don't trust me - I am a first timer!!!

Good for you for trying the sprouting thing, Banana.

Having said that, I have to add my opinion to CC's, I don't like raw hummus either! I could never get the texture smooth enough and found it bitter.

If you end up with nicely sprouted chickpeas you could also do the 'faux' tuna salad sandwiches (I think it was in the recipe thread) The 'crunchyness' would work for that recipe.

Hey Banana- how did the chickpeas turn out? I noticed that you had raw hummus for luch, so you made some obviously...

Default Garbanzo Moussaka

From More Fabulous Beans by Barb Bloomfield

Lightly oil a 9 X 13-inch baking pan and set aside.

Have ready:

2 medium eggplant
    salt

Slice the eggplant into 1/4-inch rounds, sprinkle with salt, and let sit in a colander in the sink while you prepare the filling and cheese sauce.

Bean Filling

In a medium skillet, saute the following until the veggies start to brown:

1 c. chopped onions
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp. olive oil

Stir in:

2 c. cooked garbanzo beans, mashed
    2 c. tomato puree
    1/4 c. chopped parsley
    2 T. fresh lemon juice
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
    1/8 tsp. pepper

Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 min.

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Cheese Sauce
    Combine in a small saucepan by whisking together until smooth:

2 c. soy, rice, or oat milk
    1/2 c. nutritional yeast flakes
    1/4 c. unbleached white flour

Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally with the whisk. When the sauce thickens, add:

1 T. margarine
    1/2 tsp. salt

Stir well, remove from heat, cover, and set aside.

Rinse the eggplant slices to remove the salt and pat the rounds dry.

To assemble the casserole, layer the eggplant and half of the bean filling in the baking pan. Repeat, ending with a layer of eggplant. Pour the cheese sauce evenly over the eggplant. If desired, sprinkle the top with:

1/2 c. bread crumbs (optional)

Bake for 30 to 45 min. Cool for 10 min. before cutting into squares.

This is really rich and delicious, but I had to cook it for an additional 15 min., covered with foil, on 375 F.

ETA: Serves 6

Talking Potato Garbanzo (chick-pea) Curry

This is a recipe that I threw together today, and it's one of the most delicious Indian style dishes I have ever had. It is very rich and creamy, almost like a cheese sauce, and is cooked in the traditional slow simmered style of northern Indian food. The Vindaloo and Hot Curry seasonings can be found at Indian groceries, or purchased from Penzeys Spices www.penzeys.com, (go to "search" and enter vindaloo) also a GREAT source for high quality spices of all sorts. If you can't find Vindaloo, you can mix it yourself: coriander, garlic, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, mustard, cayenne, jalepeno, cardamom, tumeric, black pepper and cloves, all dried/powdered.

Ingredients:

One 15oz. can Chick-peas (garbanzo beans)
    One 15oz. can Boiled Potatoes or 1-2 med. sized red or yellow potatoes peeled and boiled
    Soy milk (plain and unsweetened)
    Soybean oil
    Olive Oil
    Sea Salt
    Cayenne Pepper
    Vindaloo Seasoning
    Hot Curry Powder
    1/2 cup diced White Onion
    2 Large Cloves Garlic diced or pressed

In a large frying pan, heat enough soybean oil to coat the bottom of the pan and add onions and garlic. Sautee on med-high until both start to brown and carmelize. Push onion and garlic to side of pan and add 1/2" thick slices or cubes of potato. Fry until they begin to brown and begin to stir everything together, then add chick-peas, salt and cayenne to taste, 1/2 Tbsp. each of Vindaloo and Curry powder and continue to sautee on high or med/high until all is heated through and SIZZLING. Now add enough soy milk to almost cover the beans and potatoes and reduce heat to medium. Stir constantly until the soy milk reduces and starts to become thick. Turn off heat and add about 1/8 cup of Olive Oil and mix well. The soy milk and oil should kind of bind together into a thick sauce. Sometimes I like my food very oily, and olive oil is good for you, so you may up the quantity of olive oil if you wish.

This recipe is grrrrreat with spinach too. Just add as much fresh spinach as you want after you are done cooking everything and the heat is turned off, and stir it untill the leaves are wilted and dark green.

ConsciousCuisine

Default Re: Chickpea flour in smoothies

Spinach and Onion Chickpea Omlette

1/2 cup chickpea flour
    1/3 cup water or vegetable stock (you may need more to reach a batter-like consistency)
    2 oz. tofu, pureed (optional but I suggest it!)
    1 green onion, sliced thin
    1/3 cup spinach (frozen, thawed or 2/3 cup fresh)
    A few pinches of pepper, salt and turmeric
    1 tsp. nutritional yeast
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. onion powder
    1 tsp. oil or more as desired (I use coconut)

Sautee the onion in a bit of oil or water. Add spinach and cook until both are done. Remove from pan, rinse out and place the coconut oil in the pan, heating it for a few moments over medium heat while you beat together the remaining ingredients until smooth and fold in the spinach and onion. Pour into the heated pan, allowing it to "set" for a bit before flipping the now bubbling mixture. Cook another minute or so, testing the center for as you do pancakes. Serve with sliced tomatoes, salsa, avocado or any favorite topping. You may put any veggie you like in this as well as herbs, as you like it.

I like to do one with rosemary, oregano, sun-dried tomatoes and zucchini (for Italian style) and Cilantro/fresh corriander, corn, zucchini, fresh tomatoes, tomatillos and jalapenos (for Mexican style) and a curried Indian one is good too!

Thanks CC that recipe looks awesome. I notice that you use coconut oil. Someone told me that this is the healthiest oil to cook with because it doesn't oxidise. Would you recommend this over olive oil?
    Don't blame me for avian flu :(

ConsciousCuisine

Yes! I have mentioned this in various threads all over the place...I'll look for a few

Quote englishvegoboi
    Thanks CC that recipe looks awesome. I notice that you use coconut oil. Someone told me that this is the healthiest oil to cook with because it doesn't oxidise. Would you recommend this over olive oil?
    In India, Kerala is the only state situated in South, where people uses, Coconut oil for cooking/deep frying even.

You will wonder, highest rate of literacy in the country is in Kerala. And it is generally said here that Keralities have good brain too.

Manish Jain

Talking Re: Spinach and Onion Chickpea Omlette

guess what im doing on my next day off????

the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Default Re: Spinach and Onion Chickpea Omlette

Mmmm. I like the sound of that, something I'll definately try. Just to check though, is a green onion a spring onion?

Cheers
    "He who binds himself to a Joy, Does the winged life destroy;
    He who kisses the Joy as it flies, Lives in Eternity's sunrise"
    William Blake

ConsciousCuisine

Quote RockyRaccoon
    Mmmm. I like the sound of that, something I'll definately try. Just to check though, is a green onion a spring onion?

Cheers
    Yes, but you could certainly use any type of onion you like (I do! I make dozens of variations on this type of recipe!).

a didgeridoo

That spinach & chickpea flour omelette recipe looks absolutely delicious, CC – I’m definitely gonna give that a go, cheers!

(BTW, good to see the Blake quote in your signature, RockyR. Think I saw someone else with the ‘to see the world in a grain of sand’ one on VF somewhere too?)

Phew, I’m done in & gotta get to bed. Seeya later!

ConsciousCuisine

I hope this turns out nicely for everyone!

I love the Blake quote too (that's my Daughter's name!).

Default Re: Potato Garbanzo (chick-pea) Curry

I made this tonight with lots of variations with things I had on hand and needed to use, specifically a beautiful eggplant! I substituted the eggplant for the potatos, garam masala (sp?) for the vindaloo seasoning, can of coconut milk for the soy milk, added cumin and corriander seeds to the garlic and olive oil saute part, and threw in handfulls of raisins, seeds, and assorted nuts, it is simmering now to wilt the spinich, I had to keep tasting, it is the best curry dish I've ever made!!

Default Re: Potato Garbanzo (chick-pea) Curry

That is almost how I make mine except I use coconut milk instead and I add fresh ginger oh and I garnish it with plain soy yogurt.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Default Chickpea recipes

hiya everyone, i'm after tried and tested (and easy) chickpea recipes this time...in fact, any good recipes for pulses would be great...curries, stews, dhals, that sort of thing, maybe even some salads for my lunch box! i'd really appreciate that, bless you all - thanks, triona

paulvegan

Default Re: chickpeas & other pulses

Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry

2 medium red onions, peeled
    1 clove garlic, peeled
    1 bird’s eye pepper, Thai chili or other very hot small pepper with its seeds
    1 2 ½ to 3 inch piece of ginger, peeled and cut into chunks
    3 tbsp canola oil
    ½ tsp hot red pepper flakes
    ½ tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 ½ tsp ground turmeric
    3 cardamom pods, lightly crushed (we used 1 tsp ground cardamom and it was fine)
    Salt to taste
    2 pounds (about 3 medium) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ to 1 inch cubes
    1 ¾ cups coconut milk (we always use light)
    1 tbsp tamarind paste
    2 ¼ cups hot vegetable broth
    4 to 5 cups (about 4 cans) cooked chickpeas
    2 tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
    1. In a food processor, combine onions, garlic hot pepper and ginger. Pulse until finely chopped. Place oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add chopped onion mixture and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
    2. Add hot pepper flakes, and spices. Stir to mix. Add sweet potatoes and stir until well covered in spices. Stir in coconut milk.
    3. Dissolve tamarind paste in hot broth and add to pan. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until sweet potatoes are just tender, about 25 minutes
    4. Add chickpeas and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Adjust salt to taste. Transfer to a warmed bowl and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
    6-8 servings

Tofu-Chickpea Curry

1 large onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1 block regular tofu (frozen and thawed if you like the texture)
    1 can chickpeas
    curry powder
    A few tablespoons oil for frying

Directions:

I was visiting my sister in western Alaska and had to improvise a dinner that two carnivores and a vegetarian would enjoy (and for which I could find the ingredients at a very rustic market in an Inuit village). I was a bit he'sitant about the combination of tofu, chickpea and curry, but it came out really well (if I do say so myself).

Add finely chopped onion to medium pot with oil (I used olive). Fry at medium heat until tender. Add finely chopped garlic cloves and fry until the onion starts to brown, make sure heat is low enough not to burn the garlic. Add tofu cut into strips. I used thawed tofu to give it a chewier texture and to ensure it wouldn't fall apart in the curry (my sister had tried tofu recently and thought the texture was too mushy, so I wanted to show her that she could prepare it in different ways). Fry the tofu strips and onion/garlic mixture until the tofu starts to brown. Add 2 1/2 cups water and 1 can of drained chickpeas. Bring to a boil. Once at boil, reduce heat, cover pot, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add curry spices/mix. Simmer, stirring constantly for 5 minutes--this is the time when your tofu and chickpeas will absorb the curry flavor, so you don't want to rush this stage.

Serve over rice. If the curry is spicy, serve with a green salad and plenty of cucumbers.

Serves: 3

*drools*

Quote triona.d. View Post
    hiya everyone, i'm after tried and tested (and easy) chickpea recipes this time...in fact, any good recipes for pulses would be great...curries, stews, dhals, that sort of thing, maybe even some salads for my lunch box! i'd really appreciate that, bless you all - thanks, triona
    Hi, I might change the thread title, if you don't mind, since I'm considering a separate forum for beans/pulses recipes (including all the soya stuff).

We already have enough threads about bean/legume recipes + falafel, hummus, dhals etc to fill a small forum, and I'm sure many more will come!

thanks paul, that sweet pot and chickpea curry was EXACTLY what i was looking for - can't wait to give it a go (once my family are actually all around and i can cook for them!)triona

grrr..still haven't managed to cook that curry yet as family away and hate cooking for just myself so keep eating out (bit extravagent, i know!) but please don't think i'm ungrateful. i'm going to go out and buy all the ingredients today so that they're there waiting for me when everyone's around and will let you know if it's a success - can't wait! by the way - do you think it would freeze alright? triona

Default Re: Chickpea recipes

Clairey's Chickpea EFA salad:

1 can chickpeas
    bout half a medium sized cucumber cubed
    1 tomato diced, or if you like about a handful of cherry tomatos split in half
    1/4 of a red pepper diced
    red onion if you like it
    Any seeds you have around, sesame, flax, pumpkin and sunflower are my usual- i usually only use 2 at a time
    a couple of table spoons of flax oil and the juice of half a lemon

Refrigerate for a few hours before consumtion as it tastes better this way, this makes about 2 serves, perfect for lunches at work

Clairveg, I make a salad like that too. Adding some vegan mayo instead of oil and lemon is a nice creamy change too.

Hummus is a really easy recipe too. You'll find a lot of recipes by googling.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I can't believe I missed this recipe! This looks fantastic!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I can't believe I missed this recipe! This looks fantastic!
    I was just thinking the same thing!

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

I like to throw together a chickpea salad sometimes simply using canned chickpeas, canned corn, chopped red pepper, chopped red onion and some sweet onion salad dressing. It's nice and refreshing and infact I think I'll take it to work for my lunch tomorrow.

Hey,

So I've made this recipe twice and it was delicious both times. Some things I did/noticed:

I used pressed fresh garlic instead of powder--1 medium clove.

I found that you definitely need to use more water/vegetable stock. I used probably close to double what the recipe says.

I didn't puree the tofu. I just mashed it with a fork. I think it would've been better if I had pureed it but it came out fine. Also, I used firm tofu, although the recipe doesn't say what to use.

I added mushrooms one time and mushrooms, bell peppers, more yeast, and chili powder the second time. Both were wonderful, but the second was better.

Try it with some hot sauce!

This is a really quick recipe. Once you have assembled the ingredients, it only takes about 10 minutes.

So, this recipe is an all-around winner.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

I don't think ours turned out so well..! My hubby made it last night. I think there wasn't really enough seasoning in it, but I put braggs on it once it was served and that helped. I'm not a fan of oily things sometimes (we used veg oil, it might have just been that sort that I don't really like the taste of because I don't mind other hot oily things most of the time!).

I would perhaps try making it with some pretend cheese thrown into the mix, I wonder if that would be nice?? more traditionally 'omletty' then

It made two frying pan sized 'omlette's, although it didn't fill me up much strangely. (we had one each)

btw is gram flour the same as chickpea flour?? that's what we used.

nervine

Default Re: Sprouting Chickpeas

I just soaked them for 24hrs, rinsed them and put them in a colander over a bowl with a lid on top. rinsed them in the morning and evening. Turned out great. Only took 3 days

For something a lil more spicy I like to make Chilli and Lemon Chickpeas.

I never measure out the ingrediants, I do it to taste.
    Basically it's a vinegarette or sorts.
    I use a clean jar (preferably with a lid) and pour in equal parts olive oil and lemon juice. I finally chop a small red chilli and add that to the mix, at this stage Iput the lid on and give it a good shake.

I usually try it at this point and decide upon adding more of one of the three ingediants and a little salt/pepper. I coat the chickpeas in it and cover with clingfilm and pop it in the fridge.

I usually have this with cous cous or with a green salad

Also chick peas go very well in a curry with a tin of coconut milk and some carrots. You could modify paulvegan's curry recipes to use chick peas, coconut and carrot.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

StarShine

Chick Pea and Kidney Bean Salad:

1 cup of Chick Peas
    2/3 cup Kidney Beans
    2/3 cup grape tomatoes
    1/4 cup of diced fresh white onions
    1/4 cup of green olives
    2 cups chopped lettuce
    2 tbsp flax seeds
    1 tbsp chopped garlic
    a pinch of salt

Toss together and add 3 tbsp olive oil and serve chilled.

That's my own creation.

I like to make falafel with my chickpeas I have a recipe but I bet Tigerlily's mom has a better one!

I also like to fry an onion, add some chickpeas, tomatoes and spinach - it's a nice combination.

Default Re: Sprouting Chickpeas

i made some raw hummus today for lunches.

tastes much better than the first time i made it.
    basically it was some chickpeas soaked overnight, some tahini, some lemon juice, a little water, olive oil, s&p, garlic.

very nice.......the tahini makes the difference, much more 'cooked hummus-like'.

Default Chickpea Miso recipes?

Help, I shelled out some 8 bucks yesterday for a tub of organic chickpea miso I thought I needed for a recipe. turns out, I have no idea which recipe it was, because the one I am making doesn't have that in it.

So, what can I do with a giant tub of chickpea miso? I am thinking I could maybe make miso soup, but does chickpea miso work for that?

The stuff is good for many months, but I assume un-opened? It says it is not pasturized.

Any ideas? Please!

Default Re: Chickpea Miso recipes?

Sorry - I've never even heard of it!!