Thread: Coenzyme Q10

tails4wagging

Default Coenzyme Q10

Anyone know anything about this enzyme suppliment?

My disabliity support group highly recommend it for fatigue. I can order the vegan capsules via solgar but they are extremely expensive. £46.

What is the source of this?. Is the contents vegan I know the capsules I can get is vegan coated.

Default Re: Coenzyme Q10

I take 100mg a day, I used to take Solgar but I found a health food store that has its own version which is a bit cheaper. It is expensive but according to my holistic doctor, it's a great supplement. Boosts the immune system, lowers cholesterol, raises energy levels etc. I also found a cheaper whole foods supplement that was cheaper in another health food store, it was only 25mg though but the health food store staff told me that it was absorbed much more easily since it was a whole foods source. Don't know how true that is.

Seaside

I use toothpaste and mouthwash with CoQ10 in them, too. It is very good for gum health, and helps prevent periodontal disease.

tails4wagging

According to a book about it, it cures the world apparantly, it is that good!!!!.

As it affects the mitocondria of the nerve cells it may help me, I hope. I will try to get supplies cheaper elsewhere sometime.

The suppliers of vitamins and supplements, who indicate which are ok for vegans, indicate in their catalog that Coenzyme Q10 is not for vegans, so I've never bought it.
    Eve

Quote eve
    The suppliers of vitamins and supplements, who indicate which are ok for vegans, indicate in their catalog that Coenzyme Q10 is not for vegans, so I've never bought it.
    I questioned the nutritionist at the health food store regarding whether the CoQ10 was a tobacco-derived source or something else. He told me that it was yeast derived and was definitely vegan, though there are only 2 brands that I"ve found that are sold in vegi-caps; Solgar and this particular local health food store's brand.

tails4wagging

Thats what worried me, whether it was vegan or not. I am ordering the solgar. I will ring them to ask.

CoQ10 is interesting for many reasons, one being the combination of these facts:
    1)
    'A healthy, youthful human body can make its own CoQ10. Endogenous production or biosynthesis of CoQ10 has 17 steps, requiring at least seven vitamins (vitamin B2 - riboflavin, vitamin B3 - niacinamide, vitamin B6, folic acid, vitamin B12, vitamin C, and pantothenic acid) and several trace elements.'
    2)
    CoQ10 gives complete protection against stroke*
    Since 1972, in studies of stroke in three animal models (dog, rat, gerbil) ubiquinone (coq10) was the only agent giving complete protection and this was over two times more often than the next best agent (naloxone) of the many tested to date.

CoQ10 benefits Cardiovascular Disease*
    CoQ10 levels in heart tissue decline disproportionately with age. CoQ10 pioneer Karl Folkers (1985), in agreement with earlier Japanese studies, found lower CoQ10 levels in patients with more severe heart disease and showed that CoQ10 supplements significantly raised blood and heart tissue levels of CoQ10 in these patients.

CoQ10 improves high blood pressure
    " At least six clinical trials have shown a blood pressure-lowering effect of CoQ10.

CoQ10 for Parkinson’s disease.
    "Less disability developed in subjects on CoQ10 than in those on placebo, and the benefit was greatest in people receiving the highest dosage."[*]
    Both quotes are from http://www.thecureforheartdisease.com/owen/coq10.htm .

There is a link between homocysteine and B12, and there is a link between homocysteine and heart disease, and there is a link between B12 and CoQ10, and there is a link between CoQ10 and heart disease. There is a link between CoQ10 and high blood pressure, and there is a link between high blood pressure and homocysteine.

It has been discussed both whether homocysteine is a result of heart disease (and not the other way round). There are also studies that raises questions around some details re. the association between homocysteine and heart disease.

http://www.newhope.com/nutritionscie...mocysteine.cfm :
    It appears that the combination of vitamins C and E may be an antidote to homocysteine, and one that works more quickly than traditional treatments such as vitamins B6, B12 and folic acid. These vitamins can lower homocysteine levels over the course of a few weeks. In contrast, vitamins C and E can act within hours. While they don't actually reduce homocysteine, these vitamins appear to protect the blood from clotting.
    There is also debate around why vegetarians, who have lower homocysteine levels, do not have more heart disease than meat eaters.

And there has always been discussion about why some vegans have absolutely no problems even if they never take supplements.

Now, to the point: Maybe the body's need for creating CoQ10 is more important than we know. Maybe some of the problems we believe are caused by B12, are caused by low CoQ10. Maybe people who get enough CoQ10 are less exposed to some of the risks associated with low B12 levels and high homocysteine levels? Only a theory of course....

Check http://www.thecureforheartdisease.com/owen/coq10.htm

I just read that coenzyme Q10 can be found in spinach, peanuts, canola oil, wheat germ, brocolli, grapeseed oil, and soy beans, vegetable oils and rice bran. Someone, please correct me if you have corrections or more info about this....!
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I have an appointment tomorrow with my holistic doctor (for full blood work, including B-12/homocystein/iron etc.) and I'll ask him for more info. on CoQ10. He was the one who recommended I start taking 100mg a day last year and my husband taking 200mg a day.

wow, a holistic doctor? where would one look to get one of those?

are they medically qualified docs?? [sorry to sound dim ]

is this a private doctor? i guess they all are in the states?

Quote cedarblue
    wow, a holistic doctor? where would one look to get one of those?

are they medically qualified docs?? [sorry to sound dim ]

is this a private doctor? i guess they all are in the states?
    He's actually covered under my work health insurance plan and he's a Doctor of Osteopathy. He's not my favorite, bit of a doofus but the fact that he's holistic is such a plus that I can overlook his annoying qualities . I only have to pay $10 for the visit and that includes any bloodwork that he's going to do.

I spoke with my doctor the other day. The way he described CoQ10 was it helped the cells communicate with each other and though we do have a natural supply of CoQ10, toxins like mercury and lead, interrupt that relay so additional CoQ10 is needed to help the cells. This was his explanation to me, don't know how accurate it is.

tails4wagging

It is supposed to help the nerve impulses. Which should help me.

I am picking up a supply next week, I will keep you posted.

tails4wagging

Well folks I have just baught it, cost £45.65!!!!!. If it works I will try to get it prescibed, but I doubt if I will succeed!!!.

Just took my first one today, so watch this space. If it works it will be great, if not it is a waste of money!!!.

tails4wagging

I know it is early days, but my balance seems better and I am less tired, so keeping fingers crossed.

Just wish it wasnt so dear!!!!!