Thread: Children: Favorite vegan foods

Thumbs up Children: Favorite vegan foods

We already have a thread about what your vegan child/ren ate today, but what kind of food does your vegan kid(s) currently like the most?

Our 4-year old is very much into beans, guacamole and brown rice these days. He also likes raw or semi-raw carrots, cucumber, lettuce, mashed potatoes, nettle soup, dhal, broccoli, anything with tomato sauce, tofu and corn. He also likes ''yellow stuff' (linseed oil). Pasta is always popular. Plus all kinds of juices and pureed soups.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Vegan children: favorite dinner?

Both our 13-month olds get very excited about Oatios, a small, round, whole-grain cereal. They flap their arms and cheer when they see the box. They also are starting to really like my lentil/dhal/carrot/brown rice stew. We really need to get them eating more chunkier foods but they (especially my daughter) doesn't really like them. My son did have a few pieces of steamed kale the other day which he seemed to like.

My kids are 12, 6, and 3 (and we foster others...)

My 3- and 6-yrs-old love red food (ha, ha) - tomatoes, strawberries, beets...if it's red, they'll probably eat it!

They love
    -salsa
    -guacamole
    -tacos (vegan-style)
    -beans
    -popcorn
    -Spanish rice (vegan-style)
    -grits
    -hominy
    -chocolate chip cookies (vegan-homemade)
    -spaghetti
    -garlic toast
    -butter pasta (I use Earth Balance, and wheat pasta)
    -cantelopes
    -seedless grapes
    -apples
    -bananas
    -peaches
    -pears
    -carrots
    -cucumbers
    -green beans (cooked, cooled, marinated with an Italian-ish homemade dressing)
    -spinach (raw)
    -baked potato (cut like french fries for the younger kids; pre-teens like it mashed with ketchup on top )
    -rice
    -frozen (blended) fruit popsicles

Default Re: Children: Favorite vegan foods

tad (2yrs) likes;
    baked potato with either sweetcorn or beans
    scrambled tofu with toast
    rice-any kind of rice usually
    bananas!
    dried fruit snack bars
    raisins/dried apricots etc
    pasta though in the past couple of months he has gone off pasta with tomato sauce)
    vegan shepards pie
    "cheatin' ham" style sandwiches
    noodles

thats all i can think of at the minute-he is going through a fussy stage!
    Definitions belong to the definers, not the defined

Oz is 15 months old and although he's not vegan (he's vegetarian), does eat alot of what I do. Here are his vegan favourites: Tofu chunks marinated in different types of dressing, pitta and houmous, chickpeas and garlic, lentils and tomato sauce, porcini risotto, dark tahini, soya yogurt, sprouts, rice milk, silken tofu and miso dip, lentil and walnut pate, oatmeal, corn cakes, rice cakes, bananas, almond nut butter, pumpkin soup, spaghetti and tomato sauce and I'm afraid he also likes chocolate (who doesn't?), oh and good old marmite.

my 3 will eat most things but their fav are soy cheese sandwiches with salad cream and red sauce........

My sons fav by far is Tacos!!! He would eat them every dinner if possable! (I must admit its one of mine too!)

Lewis is 16 mths old and at the moment he likes...

Rice - brown or white

Baked beans

Lentil and veg stews that i make mashed loads or purreed so he cant see the veggies!! This is the only way really i can get him to eat veg but he does enjoy it in this way.

Beans, sweetcorn and peas he can pick up himself (chick peas, kidney beans, black eye beans etc)

Dry bread or toast (will refuse it if i have put any spread on it at all)

Most fruits purreed or cut in chunks - apple, pear, peach, grapes, banana, strawberries, pineapple

Dried fruits - figs, apricots, raisins

He likes lentil shepherds pie too from 'Vegan Feasts'- its a favourite!

Alpro soya milkshakes - choc or strawberry
    Very occasional soya yoghurt (trying not to inundate him with soy treats!!)

Porrige with soya milk or rice milk
    Weetbix
    Cheerios
    Rice crispies

Scrambled tofu
    Occassional veggie sausages

Protein balls (yummy choc seeds and nut recipe) that i got the recipe for on this forum somewhere!

And abviously chocolate! - Green and blacks dark chocolate

However although he will eat these things he doesnt eat lots and not consistently but i've posted that elsewhere and i'm sure he will come round to enjoying his food more especially since his mum sets such a wonderful example

Today I made a breakfast cake: whole wheat, unbleached flour, flaxseed meal, dulse flakes, sucanat, grapeseed oil, rice milk, grated carrots, ground up crystallized ginger, cinnamon, with a steusel of walnuts, oatmeal, and Earth Balance buttery spread. (It is 3 pm and it is about all gone).
    Lunch is all afternoon long with bagels and toast with the buttery spread, and apple cider which is in season now, and salsa with organic blue chips, tortillas with hummous, and pretzels.
    Dinner will be cauliflower with middle eastern spices and orange jasmine rice w/almonds.
    For those that are still hungry, it is popcorn or rice dream ice cream.

My childrens favourite meal is vegan roast dinner - roast potatoes, roasted butternut squash, carrots, peas, broccoli, swede, roast parsnips, stuffing, vegan yorkshire puds and gravy. They tend to favour big hot dinners, over veggie burgers and chips I bought a carribean vegan cookery book the other week and made the gumbo, and they wolfed it down.
    Greyhound Action - You Bet they Die!

Sounds lovely lavender.
    My eldest sons fav is shepards pie, its easy for him to eat. He also loved roast dinners but i dont cook them often.
    My youngest loves homous with everything, i even caught him dipping his grapes in it. He calls it dip dip. He doesnt like warm food so leaves everything to get cold first.

My eldest son loves lentil dal, my daughter eats everything I give her, my middle son's favorite is spaghetti bolognese and my youngest son's favorites are carrot and coriander soup, and hummus with pitta and black olives! They all also love vegan chocolate cake.

Hi feline01,

I am new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I also have 14 month old G/B twins as well. I wanted toknow how well the lentals were with the twins. I tried it because we love Dahl and my son had terrible gas up all night with it, but it was months ago and I would like to retry it but not sure if I should. Have u tried any other legumes with them?

Just a little note. I cook alot of my legumes with seaweeds (Wakame or my famorite is Kombu cause it is so big that I can get it out afterwards) to make it easier to digest. You can also sprout the lentil just as the skin splits and cook it that way and should make it easier to digest also.

Sounds good to me. However does that make it less gassy or just easy to digest?

Usually, if the food you eat is hard to digest, then it travels down the small intestines and into the large intestines with bacteria "growing" on it. The bacteria eat the undigested food and produces the gas as a byproduct. So if it is easier to digest, then the food will be absorbed faster and there will be no food left for the bacteria to "grow" and produce gas in the intestines.