Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vegan In Germany

pavotrouge

Default Re: Vegan In Germany

thanks for the info Kieran... though the Allgäu is not that interesting. I can translate some parts if you like to, ella

The Frankfurt area is cool for vegans since they have one of the most active and productive AR groups in Germany. Cologne and Berlin are close.

Almost every city (read: more than 300,000 inhabitants) in the Rhine/Ruhr area where I live has vegan-friendly restaurants and underground groups, so I'm happy to help out.

Default hosting a vegan In Germany?

Hello all!

I haven't lived in Germany for a number of years (kann aber noch reden) and I wish I could make it to Dresden for the IVU Kongress 27 Juli - 3 August.

But, I am helping, Xie Zheng, a friend here in Beijing organize his trip to represent all us vegans living in China. He will play music, give a workshop, make contacts and generally inform people about his initiative:

Bie Chi Pengyou = Don't Eat Friends http://blog.sina.com.cn/biechipengyou
    (still only in Chinese) All of us at the Vegan Social Club support his work:
    http://vegansocialclub.com/ (scroll way down)

Anyway, this is rather late..... Help.

I got him an affordable flight (Beijing Olympics time) arriving Berlin 22 July.
    Congress in Dresden starts 27 July.

Any ideas? I will have a look at all the links here.
    It would be great for Xie to meet other activists and keep to a tight budget. All his income as a musician gets plowed back into his initiative. Right now there are concerts in support of animal rescue work in the quake zone. Oh, and he speaks a little English, kein deutsch.

cheers everyone!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Good.

I have forwarded your message to Vanessa Clarke of Vegan Society and Shankar Narayan from India. I hope, either of these two would contact.

Manish Jain

Hi,

Please go to http://www.ivu.org/congress/2008/index.html for all details of participating in the Dresden IVU Congress. If you need any personalised assistance, please write to me at indianvegansociety@rediffmail.com

Best wishes,
    Shankar.
    ‘Animals are not our slaves, they are our friends and the rightful co-habitants of this planet earth’

Very kind. Xie is organized for the congress but as yet has no plans for the 4 days preceding. Hoping he will make good use of the time.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

pavotrouge

I might be there, depending on how broke Dublin will leave me.

I'd like to reanimate this thread and hope to find some more Germans here. (:

pavotrouge

well I'm still here... though I announced at work that I'm leaving for London in Mid-July officially today!

So, again.. (I didn't really get that) you're moving to London?

Here's another german vegan Currently I'm in Norway, but probably come back to Germany in march.
    From which cities are you two?

I'm from Wetter (Ruhr), that's near Dortmund. And you?

Dresden! I never went to NRW actually (I probably travelled more in other european countries than in Germany *blush). Do you have some vegan friends in your surrounding?

Not really. Just pavotrouge. We'll meet on Sunday for the first time. ^.^

Oh! So have fun there
    I just listened to your (and your band) myspace-music a bit - it's definetely good! Hope you have a lot of performances.

pavotrouge

The Rhein-Ruhr area is a huge vegan centre, everybody new I met in the past year was vegan
    I'm living in Krefeld which is kinda in between the lower Rhine area, west Ruhr area (Duisburg is 10 km away) and Düsseldorf, where I work.

Wow that sounds great. There are not so many vegans around my area (or I just didn't recognize all) But it's cool to be a vegan here. There are a lot of asian and other foreign foodstores where you can buy nearly everything you want.

I am sorry for not being regularly in touch on this forum. I was in Germany for more than 2 weeks during and after the Dresden Congress. It was so wonderful to be there amidst beautiful vegans and so much of Germany. I was in Dresden, Frankfurt, Hanover, Ottingen, Halle, Black forest, Kaiserslautern... It is definitely vegan friendly and I remember all the good people. I expect a number of vegans from Germany to reciprocate the visit to my soon to be opened Yoga Centre in India.

By the way, we will have a Vegan Musical Evening on Jan 25 though it is too late for anyone to make to the event.

Best wishes,
    Shankar.
    ‘Animals are not our slaves, they are our friends and the rightful co-habitants of this planet earth’

Probiert mal die Taifun Tofu Produkte aus dem Reformhaus, die sind echt super!

^ I already did. But I can't remember how it tasted. Zu lange her. ^^"

I like the Tofu Rosso of Taifun Delicious!

pavotrouge

tofu rosso is pure crack

Hi there,

I'm a vegan living actually in Gelsenkirchen. Unfortunately, if the Rhine-Ruhr-area is vegan-friendly Gelsenkirchen is not...

I'm glad to find some places I can shop to get vegan products. But to go out is very difficult.

May you give advices for vegan places?

Greetz,

Dragonheart
    *As long as people think animals can't feel, must animals feel that people don't think*

Well, Gelsenkirchen is a proper town, so there should be shops called Reformhaus or Naturkostladen there. And those are heavens for vegans, I live in the UK but actually import lots of tofu, vegan spreads and other things from Germany quite regularly.

Most major supermarkets also have a section with vegan products, weirdly those are often placed near the milk/cheese area or near the meat. But you can always ask.

With regards to eating out, I know it's a nightmare, so I don't have any recommendations there unfortunately. Maybe try Thai or Chinese restaurants.

If you are still finding it hard, then you can always invest in a train ride to one of the nearby larger towns, I'm sure there'll be some good shops there, but I would search on the internet first because these shops tend to be small and hidden in side streets

pavotrouge

I haven't found eating out in NRW a nightmare at all

I can recommend the entire alternative scene connected to Ruhr Uni in Bochum... many places there and in Dortmund are very vegan-friendly.
    There's the annual Veggie Street Day in Dortmund (and also Kartoffellord, although not 100% vegan, good to eat at!). There's another vegetarian cafe in Dortmund but I can't recall the name atm.

Then there's Zodiac in Essen (a bit expensive though); in Essen there's an info booth by Tierrechtsinitiative Mülheim right on the high street ever other Saturday.

The az Mülheim offers a vegan set dinner for about 5 € once a month.
    In Düsseldorf, there's sattgruen (98% vegan) and Jade Imbiss (90% vegan), as well as a monthly meetup at sattgruen.

Cologne has at least half a dozen vegan or nearly vegan places, two vegan shops and TI Köln, also with at least a monthly meetup (I know technically it's not Ruhr area, but the whole Rhein/Ruhr area has the best public transport connections in all of Germany, so what).

Recklinghausen is the home of Veganwonderland, maybe Kim & Kalle can give you some hints when you pick up your order there in person.
    I hear there are veggie places in Duisburg, too.

(going further, there's lot of stuff going on in Bonn, too!)

Plus, never underestimate the power you as a consumer have. The pub I frequent started offering a couple of vegan dishes because people kept requesting it.

Did I forget anything?

Thanks for all the great info Pavotrouge. I had no idea there was so much around. My brother lives in Koeln and he also says that it's very easy to eat out/shop there. I will be spending some time with him there in March, I can't wait to explore all the vegan places.

Hello,
    I just moved to Werne, near Dortmund, 3 weeks ago after living in London for nearly 10 years. It's a nice town but meat eating is of high importance here, all the advertisements from the supermarkets have at least 2 pages of meat advertised! I also suspect there is a slaughterhouse nearby as there are many lorries that go by filled with pigs. That and the fact there is a 'barnyard' smell every once in a while....

There are some products available, though was hugely disappointed to find hummous is not sold anywhere here and no one will order it for us. I am now perfecting my own recipe for hummous.

It's a really big change from what I was used to London. The Chinese restaurant here doesn't have one dish without meat. We've only found one place that does a veggie pizza and will take off the cheese for us. But I am looking forward to visiting Dortmund on the weekend. Does anyone know of any vegan shops in Dortmund that I should visit?

Thanks/Tschuss

pavotrouge

there's Basic, a huge organic supermarket just 50 metres off the high street. Apart from that, Kartoffellord, as I mentioned above.
    Sadly, I don't know about any pure vegan places in Dortmund, but some Dortmund vegans

edit: I just looked up Werne, and it's more Münsterland than Ruhrgebiet, so that explains the lorries... the area is one with the highest concentration of factory farms in Germany.
    But I swear there are vegans there- have you been to Hamm?

What do you usually eat at the Kartoffellord? ^.^

pavotrouge

I'm a falafel girl

Thanks for the info Pavotrouge, I visited Dortmund on saturday and had a falafel and loved it. I also went to Basics and was nicely surpised at their selection of vegan food (and hummous!!). It would have been better though if they had some vegan shower gels, etc. That would have made my trip! Didn't make it to Vegetria, we are saving this for the next time.

Muenster and Hamm are on my list of places to check out. I am curious the see more the farmland around Werne, the only bits I've seen seem to cater to horses but no pigs in sight. Haven't been here more than a month and there is much to still to do!

pavotrouge

Basic carries vegan shower gels, though not all of them are labelled as such. Look out for Lavera brand.

Furthermore, dm (a drugstore/health food store chain) has its own brand of cosmetics and most of them are vegan and very cheap. They also have a good food selection.

I found Café Guttut's website: http://www.guttut.de/
    I'd like to go there some time, maybe we could meet up there?

I think it maybe time to get out and start meeting people. I'll Pn you.

²pavotrouge. I wanted to meet her first! T_T

Hey, maybe we should meet together!

pavotrouge

Quote Opheliac View Post
    ²pavotrouge. I wanted to meet her first! T_T
    you probably will, given that I'm ill and busy and in Ireland and all the usual excuses.

BTW, next week is already the last Sunday of the month, i.e. I can't make it to the brunch this month
    (excuse no.3)

You're in Ireland?!?! Why didn't you tell me?

However.

Default Re: Germany

Quote Vegantastic View Post
    We need a vegan language!!

Until 5 years ago I went almost every year to germany on holiday. I understand german, but don't ask me to write or talk german, because I am not so good in that My grade for german on high school was also not so good I was better in French and that I can't even understand

Ich spreche keine deutsch
    OH MY GOODNESS lol I've actually thought of that tooooo! I don't know to what degree if seriousness though.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
    - Samuel Beckett

pavotrouge

Quote Opheliac View Post
    You're in Ireland?!?! Why didn't you tell me?

However.
    I will be, from next Thursday to Monday (Karnevalsflucht)... I told you I was looking for cheap flights the other day.

lol. you're right. why am i being so vergesslich lately?

pavotrouge

it's probably because you're vegan and lacking B12

That's the only possible explanation. (;

Don't forget all that omega three that can only be found in oily fish and can't possibly be derived from flaxseed or algae. I'm sure you're lacking in that too .

Hey, ich studiere Deutsch an der Glasgow-Universität und am 12. Marz muss ich ein Referat auf Deutsch über "Veganismus für die Umwelt" geben, und dafür brauch ich viele Quellen usw. auf Deutsch. Kennt ihr ein Paar Internet-Seiten, die ich benützen kann?
    (Entschuldigung, dass mein Deutsch so schrecklich ist...:-( )

Hi Declan,

dein Deutsch ist doch perfekt! o_O
    Vielleicht hilft dir ja folgende Seite weiter: http://www.peta.de/faktenbltter/faktenbltter.116.html

Danke Ophelia, das ist sehr hilfreich Weißt ihr, wie viele Veganer/innen gibt es in Deutschland oder Österreich? Ich glaube, dass ich ein Paar Statistik brauche...

Laut der Internetseite veganwelt.de[2] gibt es in Deutschland zwischen 250.000 und 460.500 Veganer (etwa 0,3 %–0,5 % der Gesamtbevölkerung), in den USA etwa 0,9 %. Nach der Nationalen Verzehrsstudie II von 2008 leben in Deutschland 0,1 % der Frauen und 0,05% der Männer vegan.[3]

[2] http://www.veganwelt.de/inhalt/vegan/v-faq.html
    [3] http://www.bmelv.de/cln_045/nn_88541...nisbericht.pdf

Quelle/Source: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganismus (:

Du bist so nützlich Danke so viel. Als ich das Informationsmaterial fürs Referat geschrieben habe, kannst Du vielleicht es für mich gründlich lesen?

Klar, kann ich gerne tun. (:

puca

I start a new job soon (provided they don't screw up my appication, which looks more likely!) and am aiming for a long weekend in Berlin, travelling by Eurostar, then getting the sleeper from France.

So thanks for the info, this is all really interesting!

I cannot wait to start travels.

pavotrouge

Berlin is supposed to be the vegan capital of Germany it seems...
    sad Berlin doesn't seem to be made for me