Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vegan In Germany

Default Re: Vegan In Germany

Hello again all,

Looks I'm leaving lovely & flat Werne to move to Baden Baden! I've never been there though hear it's the retirement capital of Germany

Any vegans from the south on this forum? I've had the usual google searchs and have seen 2 veggie restaurants which is 2 more than where I am currently...
    Silence is golden, but duck tape is silver...

pavotrouge

oh no, you're leaving already? I totally forgot about mailing you, sorry!
    have you looked at Happy Cow? Munich is a cool city for vegans, as is Stuttgart.

Yep, had a quick look at Stuttgart & Munich. Stuttgart is about 1 1/2hrs train ride away and costs over 20euro too so probably won't be making that journey too much.

Thanks for your help though

Hello Every One...
    Im moving to berlin with my wife in a month. I Found the info in this thread very important.
    I cook a lot...even i used to work on vegetarian restorant in chile.
    Im open to vegan gathering in berlin.

Cheers!

Hey.

I'm live now in NRW. Are there any other vegans around Düsseldorf who maybe wants to have a new vegan friend, like me?

pavotrouge

lived there until 2 months ago... check out the vegan brunch at Linkes Zentrum Hinterhof, cool people and a massive buffet for 2.50 €. Last Sunday of each month from 12-3pm.

there's also a regular meetup at Sattgruen I believe.

Thanks pavotrouge!

You have any idea if there is meetings, activities etc. for vegans in Krefeld?

pavotrouge

seriously, you live in krefeld? that's where I lived for the past 4 years! I know many vegans from krefeld online, but they are all socially awkward those who aren't are all active in the Cologne animal rights scene.

But oh- do you know Limerick's? they have some amazing vegan pub grub!

pavotrouge: I send you a PM but I'm not sure if you got it... I don't know how to use this forum

pavotrouge

no pm received

:/ So tell me how can I send you one! I clicked the flower there... But I think that's not the PM sign then x_x

pavotrouge

the flower is for ICQ... click on my username and then you should be able to choose "send a private message to pavotrouge"

Last edited by juliebrzez; Jan 10th, 2024 at 03:03 AM.

Quote juliebrzez View Post
    Does anyone know of some good vegan places to eat in Berlin??
    YES!! I went there for World Vegan Day this year and stuffed myself silly. Hans Wurst Vegan Café is good and reasonably priced, quite laid back and the staff are... well, strange. YoYos Food World was amazing in a junk-food type of way, they have 25 (!) kinds of vegan burger and nuggets and stuff, and a cheese substitute that actually tastes like cheese(I think) and cherry cheesecake, and the portions are huge and well priced. I loved it there. There's also La Mano Verde, it's a gourmet place but quite cheap as far as gourmet goes. Their menu is 50% gluten free and 25% raw too (try the sushi, with no rice, it's odd but good). It's a bit out of the way though. You can find all these places listed on Happycow.net

Vegan in berlin....actually..that´s pretty easy here in berlin.
    90% of the super markets have peanut butter...
    Lots of bio markets where you can fins from winers to meat stuff made from soy...

I recomend:

Yoyos food world for vegan pizza with vegan cheese
    Yellow sunshine for great burgers and tiramisu
    Goodies cafe for Milk & rice...and some cinammon vegan rolls
    Cupcake THE BEST BROWNIES IN THA WORLD! trust me...that mix of chocolate and peanut butter..it´s from out of this world...they also have vegan cupcakes..of course...and a GREAT vegan Strudel (apple cake)

Hi IndeR. Berlin does sound very good for vegans.

There was a news item about how keen Berliners are on currywurst on the BBC website the other day (is that true?), and after trawling the internet I found that Yellow Sunshine does tofu currywurst, which made me want to hop on the next plane (or more environmentally friendly alternative ). Have you tried that?

yes...Yellow sunshine have those...but sadly i haven´t eaten those yet....

Cuekc!

Quote IndeR View Post
    Cuekc!
    Cuekc? Wie bitte? (Hoping to improve my almost non-existent German vocab!)

Cueck it´s the sound that ducks make...

Im from Chile so..that´s what we say populary if something does not come the way we want..LOL

OIC. One learns all sorts of things here

Hi, my name is David and I´m brazillian, I´m going to germany on the 25th february to live six months there, studying at the uni of leipzig in a exchange programm. I´ll stay 10 days in berlin when I arrive. I wish to know if the germans have some tip to me about vegan food, restaurants or clothes. I already searched in the internet, but personaly is more trustful .

Here is a very good forum!

Como va meu amigo!?

Berlin es la mais grande capitale de veganistas e europa!

hahaha

Mate ... Berlin is way to easy for vegans...
    Clothes? Geee besides skater clothes and others i don`t know official vegan stores for that...
    For food it`s easy....
    You got yoyo pizzas
    Cupcake for treats
    yellow sunshine for burgers and some underground things...
    I can give you a friendly vegan tour if you want.
    Just give me a sign!

Quote IndeR View Post
    Como va meu amigo!?

Berlin es la mais grande capitale de veganistas e europa!

hahaha

Mate ... Berlin is way to easy for vegans...
    Clothes? Geee besides skater clothes and others i don`t know official vegan stores for that...
    For food it`s easy....
    You got yoyo pizzas
    Cupcake for treats
    yellow sunshine for burgers and some underground things...
    I can give you a friendly vegan tour if you want.
    Just give me a sign!
    I will apreciae this very much. I will stay in a hostel near orianenburgstrasse. when I arrive I´ll send you a message.
    thanks.

Tudo bem!
    Eu vivo muito cerca de esa calle!

C ya soon Colega!

:-D

pavotrouge

I've heard that Dresden is pretty good for veggies, too, not too far from Leipzig. Can't really recommend any places though as an old Wessi girl

oi david! tudo bem?

you could check http://www.happycow.net/europe/germany/leipzig/ for food or a separate german forum which lists loads of vegan stuff you can get at supermarkets (http://produktanfragen.foren-city.de/). OK, that one is in German, but if you need a hand - give me a shout any time. I could practice a bit more on my portuguese, too LOL
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Hi David, you could visit the German forum www.vegan.de which has got an "English & French" subforum. What kind of clothes do you like? Some days ago, I found a real cool store in Leipzig, but the clothes are not especially marked as vegan and some even contain sheep's hair (in German "Wolle" - wool). The address is www.gehbunt.de, if you want to have a look. Enjoy your time and I hope that you will meet many nice and interesting people!

Hello, I can see this is an old thread, but I just found it. I am a vegan living in Germany. Although I am American and do not speak the language. I'm glad I found this thread!

Hi, everyone. Can you tell me where I can buy vital wheat gluten in Germany? I'd really appreciate your help.

Hello from the South of Germany! I´m a German new vegan .

tissierlou, Have you tried veganbasics.com? They´ve got a bilingual website but are based in Germany. Or vegan-wonderland.de. Or if you don´t want to shop online you could try Asian food shops? I think what you´re looking for is called 'Gluten' or 'Seitan-Basis' in German.

Quote Lukka View Post
    Hello from the South of Germany! I´m a German new vegan .

tissierlou, Have you tried veganbasics.com? They´ve got a bilingual website but are based in Germany. Or vegan-wonderland.de. Or if you don´t want to shop online you could try Asian food shops? I think what you´re looking for is called 'Gluten' or 'Seitan-Basis' in German.
    Sorry to take so long to reply. I had a bit of a computer crisis.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I appreciate it very much!

Hello,

just wanted to say hi!
    Am new to the forum and living in Hannover, Germany.
    Have been vegetarian for 20 years and vegan for 1 and find that moderately easy so far.
    Happycow is a great place to search, and if you know some vegan places that are not there yet, make sure to add them!!!!

Best regards,
    Andy

We've just been on a short trip to Frankfurt and although we took the precaution of booking self-catering accommodation we found we only ate breakfast there. We went to a very nice veggie restaurant, Naturbar, which has plenty for vegans, and also ate in Thai and Lebanese places and also a sausage restaurant, Culux, which does a tofu version of its currywurst. We went to a wholefoods supermarket, Alnatura, which had a very impressive tofu collection. So that was easier than I expected

[QUOTE=Kuklasmom;2023]Hi! I'm from Chicago. I've never been to Germany, but I do know of a German vegan Web site. (They have an English and French forum, too.)

Here's the address:

http://www.vegan.de

If anyone is in Berlin on a Sunday, try the Vegan Sun Day Burgers at Mauer Park Floh Markt (Flea Market). They are in an old school wagon, on the right side of the flea market, about half way into the market. Great taste and good value. Check the out at happycow.com

Good eating

Hi Kukla's Mum,

Just to let you know that not only do I have a vegan Sun Day Burger wagon in Berlin, but I also have a room to let on a night to night basis for vegans only, or at least vegetarians who don't eat eggs, (cannot stand the smell since going vegan). Only €20 per night. I will also guide you to the best of vegan in Berlin, and other things to see that are not in the guide books. So come and enjoy a new Vegan kitchen where no animal products have been used at all.

Best wishes

Try here: http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=14605
    Quote pavotrouge View Post
    Berlin is supposed to be the vegan capital of Germany it seems...
    sad Berlin doesn't seem to be made for me

Quote David_V8BigBlock View Post
    I will apreciae this very much. I will stay in a hostel near orianenburgstrasse. when I arrive I´ll send you a message.
    thanks.
    Try here: http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=14605

Try here as well: http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=14605
    Quote harpy View Post
    Hi IndeR. Berlin does sound very good for vegans.

There was a news item about how keen Berliners are on currywurst on the BBC website the other day (is that true?), and after trawling the internet I found that Yellow Sunshine does tofu currywurst, which made me want to hop on the next plane (or more environmentally friendly alternative ). Have you tried that?

In addition to happycow, you could also go to http://en.veganguide.org - it's a guide mostly used by Germans, so there is a lot information about vegan restaurants, shops etc. for almost all bigger cities in Germany.

Hello Nickname, thanks for posting the veganguide link.

It seems the difference is that the veganguide also offers omni restaurants that have a few vegan options. Different concept, in my opinion definitely helpful for a vegan searching for food.

Better to have many choices and limit yourself to the vegan ones than not having the choice (but it's happycow's policy and I accept it as that).

Best regards,
    Andy

I went to Dortmund last month to visit the vegan supermarket (I don't think we will have one in France until a few years so it was really a touristic attraction for me) and we ate at this place: http://en.veganguide.org/place/cakesntreats and the cakes were really impressive. Also, the people who work there are really really nice and the pastry chef is amazing! He gave us a lot of advices on how to make better cakes.

I'm moving to Bergisch Gladbach near Köln at the end of the month for an au-pair stay, I haven't found anything about vegan-friendly places in Bergisch Gladbach yet but as it is not a big city, I wondered if you could recommend some places in Köln itself?
    Me. My fight. My problem... Tonight.

I haven't been there myself, but I've heard good things about a store called Goldene Zeiten, which is a small vegan food shop in Köln (Weyerstrasse 63, 50676 Köln). They also have a vegan shoe store in the same street which is called Vegane Zeiten. Here's a list with other places in Köln: http://en.veganguide.org/local/germany/koeln

Hi everyone,
    just wanting to check in with you all. I'm currently living in Italy but am a German National, visiting my parents 2x/year in Germany (Regensburg), and we're planning on retiring in Germany (Bavaria area possibly) in 2 yrs.
    I love the links a few of you have provided here, thank you! Looking forward to connect with a few more Germans and finding more vegan restaurants for the time when we visit and later live there!
    Be the change you wish
    to see in the world.
    - Ghandi

We had a weekend in Munich last year, and that seemed reasonably vegan-friendly - didn't have time to go anywhere else in Bavaria. But all over Germany they seem to have those health food/organic supermarkets which are excellent, with all sorts of weird and wonderful variants of tofu

Harpy,
    that's good to know! I only need to find out which kind of cakes (if any) are vegan friendly as I seriously love the German bakeries and their goods! Well.. I used to love them!.. Now I'm not sure what's possible to eat for me but we'll see. In worst case I can always bake it myself!
    Be the change you wish
    to see in the world.
    - Ghandi

Can't remember if we had any cakes in Munich, but I was in Berlin recently and had a superb chocolate torte thing in a vegan cafe that's attached to a vegan supermarket - this one http://veganz.de/ Almost worth a special trip, but there are vegan shops springing up all over the place I believe.

Sounds great, Harpy!
    Berlin is an area I doubt I'll ever go (again). Been there with my husband pre-kids time, do the typical tourist thing etc. but other than that, Berlin doesn't really appeal to me. (No offense to anyone coming from there!!!)
    I'd hope that over time vegan shops will really be more available everywhere in Germany.
    Be the change you wish
    to see in the world.
    - Ghandi

In two weeks I'll go back to Germany to visit my family. Now I'm wondering what vegan products I can get there? My grandparents live in the countryside, but I know there is a Reformhaus in the next city. They usually go shopping at Rewe. I haven't been vegan when I still lived in Germany so I have no idea about the products you can get there. What about Rice/Nut milks? That would be the most important one for me, I don't really like soy milk. I hope somebody can help me out ^^

Hello bunnyturtle,
    I'm still in Germany *sigh* and there are quite a variety of vegan items here. Rewe now carries smoked tofu (delicious cooked or on toast), vegan sausages and soy joghurt. DM (alverde)and Rossmann (alterra) carry so many vegan products:shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, soap, hair gel and mousse, all kinds of soy, rice and oat milks, and on and on...DM also has many different types of tofu, puddings, sauages and TVP type stuff in different sizes. The bigger the shop, the more vegan products. Stands to reason...
    The vegan 'V' flower symbol has been adopted here, so should help. I don't usually go the Reformhaus too much, there is an Altnatura shop nearby which I find better a better selection. If you need any more info, I will try to help. Gute Reise!

Oh thank you so much! As I remember there is no DM nearby, only a Sclecker. But maybe that has changed meanwhile, since last time I visited my grandparents. I had a look at REWE online, which is not the greatest, but it looks like they might have almond milk. I'd be so happy to get some! I just have to secretly veganise all my food lol. I won't bother explaining to them what veganism is.