Thread: Natural Remedy - Ear Infection

Default Natural Remedy - Ear Infection

I don't know if there's been a thread on this, but I didn't find one with a search. Anyone know a natural remedy for ear infections, preferably an already-prepared/ready-to-use one?

Thanks.

Default Re: Natural Remedy - Ear Infection

whenever i have an earache, i put a piece of cotton wool into water which has had a few drops of tea tree oil put into it, then squeeze out all the water, and put it in my ear for a few hours. tis what mother used to do if i had earache when i was younger. works a treat
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

spo

Hi, Arti
    Take white vinegar and mix it half and half with very warm water. Make sure the water is comfortably warm, yet not hot enough to burn you, so test it with your finger. Lie on your side, and instill the mixture into the ear canal--you could use a clean or sterile eye dropper that drugstores sell, then, stop the ear with sterile or clean cotton. Lay on your side with the solution in the ear canal, for as long as possible -- 10-20mins. If it is in both ears, repeat for the other side.

After that, leave the wet cotton in ears for as long as possible. If you can tolerate it, even overnight. Repeat this 3x a day, for two days. It should work well.

There is also a commercial homeopathic ear ache drop product, from Similasan: http://www.healthyrelief.com/product...che-relief.cfm
    I have not used them, but have heard they are safe and effective from people who have used them.
    spo

Thank you. I'm not sure I can use vinegar. I'm allergic to it - contact irritation.

spo

Oh sorry to hear that Arti
    Then go for those Similasan ear drops, if you can get them. They are hypoallergenic, and a gentle natural remedy.

One more nursing suggestion that was also used:just instill rather warm water into the ear, in the same way as I described for the vinegar solution--just no vinegar.

Remember the outer ear canal is a closed system, so healing will occur naturally, but applying moist heat will bring your body's natural defenses to the front, by increasing circulation to the area.

I hope that helps and you feel better...
    spo

tails4wagging

When we were kids and had ear ache, my mum used to dip a small piece of cottonwool in warm olive oil into the ear. Worked wonders.

hopi ear candles are supposed to be really good for ear troubles - trouble is theyre made with beeswax

I use tea tree oil too, for just about everything! I do the same thing as bulletproof, holding some cotton wool under the warm tap, adding a drop of tea tree oil, then putting it on the sore spot etc. Works a treat.
    Eve

The way people have been talking, that sounds like it's for an ear ache, not infection. Is tea tree oil sufficient for an actual infection?

Thanks.

sorry, i don't think i have had an ear infection before, unless the aching is a result of an infection.. tea tree oil is very good though so i wouldn't be surprised if it would do the trick for that too
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

yes, tea tree oil is an excellent antiseptic. it can be quite strong though so be careful with the amount you use.

Thank you. I'm using tea tree oil with hydrogen peroxide to try to kill the infection. I don't have big pains yet like I have an infection, but I have small ones that feel like the pains I had before when I last had an ear infection. I really have to be careful. Last time, I had an infection for a month, and it can be really damaging to your ears!

Oh, and yeah, I noticed that tea tree oil is potent. I put it on a pimple one time, hoping to make it go away (without diluting it) and er, it just made my face really red. lol

I used to have problems with my ear but my holistic doctor recommended mullein oil last year and that's done the trick. It can be purchased at a decent health food store. Warm the oil up, place a few drops in each ear then use a bulb syringe and squirt warm water in the ears. All the gunk comes out and the ears feel great.

I also bought homeopathic tablets called..."ear" that I took when my ears were really congested.