Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: List: Favourite vegan food

Default Re: What Vegan 'Specialty' Foods Can You Not Live Without?

Probably PURE butter and granovita mayonnaise.

-I think I would die of sadness if N'ergy (spelling??) Egg Replacer disappeared. I use it ALL the time
    -Soymilk and tofu (although it was mentioned that they're really not specialty foods, they seem like "vegan" foods to me because not that many people in the US eat them regularly)
    -Earth Balance
    -Soy ice cream and soy yogurt make my life happier

PygmyGoat

^ what do you use egg replacer for - I mean what kinds of foods?. I have bought 2 packets over the last 10 years and didn't finish off either packet!.

- tofu!! and soymilk
    - whipped earth balance

im trying to think of other vegan 'specialty' foods i use a lot... im at a loss right now.

EDIT: forgot about nutritionaly yeast!! yummm. and tofutti cream cheese I use on rare occasions so I guess I could live without that one.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Silk coffee creamer: I use it every day! Without it, coffee is sad and pointless.

Tofutti cream cheese: Allows me to enjoy bagels. Yum!

That's about it. Mostly, I cook for myself with fresh stuff. I do use nutritional yeast and Veganaise periodically, but I could live without them if I had to. I probably could not live without Annie's Goddess dressing, but I don't consider that a specialty vegan food.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

Default Re: Favourite vegan food

-spinach
    -mushrooms
    -onions
    -peanut butter (or any nut butter)
    -vanilla soy milk
    -fruit of almost any kind (specially melon and berries!)
    -guacamole
    -salsa
    -kidney beans

I have yet to get my hands on soy ice cream or any vegan sweets but once I do I figure they'll be on this list too

I like anything with enough kick to strip paint...

Oh, and I also love vegan peanut butter, but the scales in the bathroom hate it...

steve

Beans.

I found that I really love lentils. I used to think it was hippy food, but I found I really like the taste and love the nutritional fabness. And they are cheap!

Quote Jamie View Post
    I found that I really love lentils.
    I grew up having dhal, so have always loved lentils. Lots of spices and garlic ...mmm and really easy to make as well!
    "On the dance-floor I am a world class freak... Its the beat"

I grew up in Australia and had never had indian food before I came to the UK when I was 18. Although my aussie nan told me that in her day lentils were known as a paupers food, because they were cheap and filling. And !of course we know they are fab for nutrients (and delish!)!

right now favorite foods are (they change constantly):

- Pink Lady Apples!! (will always be my most favorite food)
    - now Honey Crisp apples until pink ladies are back in season
    - Broccoli (w. Garlic Chili Pepper Sauce)
    - vegan banana nut muffins
    - tofu!! (baked) - the best Ive had so far is at Whole Foods this amazingly cooked cajun spiced one, it was very soft and not hard like the outside sometimes tends to get. I also like their Asian Tofu.
    - edamame
    - steamed mixed veggies (broccoli, zucchini, squash, carrots)
    - cereal (PB puffins are my favorite but I usually keep spelt flakes) w. lite or ff vanilla soymilk
    - sorbet - mixed berries or mango
    - pineapple!
    - spaghetti squash (they have it on the menu at a local restaurant now. its amazing)
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

i'm currently really into almond butter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dollop it on or in anything - especially my morning fruit smoothies...mmmmmm

I'm gonna have to add Larabars to my list. I bought a few yesterday and the cinnamon roll one was to die for!

Hummus, Hummus and more Hummus!

Garlic hummus with pita chips
    Trail mix
    Vanilla soymilk and multigrain cheerios
    Guacamole
    Vegan cheddar cheese grilled cheese
    Boca burgers
    Stirfry
    Jellybeans
    :P

1. soy milk
    2. avocado
    3. fresh salsa
    4. hummus
    5. pita chips
    6. tortilla chips
    7. smoothies
    8. fresh juices (3/4 orange juice + 1/4 carrot juice with a little bit of banana and ginger is sooo good)
    9. veggie pizza with no cheese
    10. brocolli (and stir fried stuff in general)
    11. vegetarian sushi
    12. tacos with rice instead of meat
    13. french fries dipped in hot sauce
    14. tofu
    15. vegan cookies

Quote Annie View Post
    I'm gonna have to add Larabars to my list. I bought a few yesterday and the cinnamon roll one was to die for!
    Cinnamon roll Larabars?! They don't have that type where I buy mine. I'll have to go to their web site. That flavor sounds fantastic.
    Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
    - Albert Einstein

Tempeh is my absolute favorite!!!
    Anisazi (sp?) beans
    Sautéed mushrooms
    Gala apples
    Polentia
    Hummus

Lately I'm in love with nachos (made with vegan cheese and sour cream).
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Default Favourite 'signature' dish

Hi all..could we do a thing where we pop the recipes for our own favourite food that we make to give to our family/friends..like the thing that you make for people (or yourself) when you want to really enjoy your cooking..um..nurtury yummy comfort food sort of thing?

I'm curious (nosy) as to what other forum people tend to make as their own special 'thing'

mine is roast veg and couscous and barely deserves a recipe:

chunkily chop up whatever veg you fancy..tomatoes..whole or use cherry ones...aubergine,or baby aubergines..peppers..red, yellow, green -whatever you like..courgettes..red onions and garlic..don't even bother to peel the papery layer off. put in as much or as little of whatever you fancy..toss in olive oil and marigold bouillon powder + cracked black pepper and roast it till it's all soggy and unctuous

make up the couscous with boiled kettle water..little bit of bouillon powder if youre feeling adventurous..leave it to 'cook' for ten minutes or so..then stir in the roast veg. Add a sprinkling of paprika and eat up!
    It tastes amazing the next day either cold or reheated.

apologies if there's a similar thread, it's been done before and i missed it.
    looking forward to seeing what sort of food other people regularly make and enjoy!

Default Re: Favourite 'signature' dish

i bring PETA's Cashew Nutloaf to special dinners and whatnot. it's definitely a comfort food to me and very delicious. i don't make it a lot because it's kind of a pain (although it's not hard to make, it's just me) but i love it.

the recipe can be found here (among other places): http://www.vegcooking.com/recipeshow.asp?RequestID=294

i also make Bangkok Bean Burgers ALL THE TIME. yummmmmm....

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7699 (but i add a lot more garlic and ginger for extra spice!)

Default Re: Favourite 'signature' dish

I came up with this rice noodle dish a while back and it was such a hit that I use it almost everytime I'm introducing people to vegan food. They can't deny that it's damn good.. I never measure anything.. some days I'm making it for just me and other times its for a house full.. It's hardly healthful with all the peanut butter and tahini.. rather fattening but it hits the spot for comfort food like nothing else some days.. here goes:

I usually use about 2 parts peanut butter (natural.. of course) for every 1 part tahini I use. I add a generous splash of white vinegar, a good squirt of braggs, minced garlic, this green salsa which I just use as a replacement for anything that calls for thai chili sauce since it's spicy as hell, if you want to add some sodium and extra flavour to this sinfulness I add maybe a quarter of an organic soup stock cube. Then add enough water to make it quite thin. I cook some veggies in a skillet.. usually zucchini, broccoli, carrots and thinly sliced yellow peppers, when they're almost done I pour the sauce into the skillet.. let it cook the garlic a little and reduce a bit, and then add the noodles. Something about the vinegar and the tahini together always makes this extra creamy consistency.. so delicious. I'd eat it every day if i could.

My favorite food changes all the time, but some dishes never get my tastbuds bored:

Smoothies
    Ice Tea

Stir fried veggies with nuddles or sweet&sour sauce & jasmine rice
    Tortillas filled with steamed vegetables marinated in soy sauce, lime & pineappele juice, garlic, salsa & guacamole
    Vegetarian paella
    Red bean burgers

Cashew nuts
    Pistachio nuts

Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Spinach
    Water chestnuts
    Lettuce
    Sugar snaps

Peaches
    Mandarins
    Blood oranges
    Lychee

I know I started this, but that was ages ago, so here is my new list:

- Burritos w/ refried beans, avocado, tomato, corn kernels & salsa
    - Vegie Burgers from Grill'd & Urban Burger
    - Red Rock Deli Plain Salted Potato Chips
    - Medjool Dates of course
    - Brown Rice (I just love it)
    - Pita Bread
    - Vegan Chocolate Macadamia Cake (I make it )

Soup. And I made a vegan pizza last night with fresh tomatoes, basil and garlic. Yummy!

pavotrouge

Can't believe I haven't written in this thread yet !

My top 10 are (in no particular order):

1. falafel
    2. tabouli
    3. the amazing chinese marinated tofu in a bag I can only get in a Asian market in Dortmund
    4. pad thai
    6. vegan muffins of all sorts!
    7. bok choy
    8. spaghetti with almost everything ^ ^
    9. red lentils
    10. filled dark chocolate (preferably with rasperry or marzipan filling)

let's see...
    hummus.
    garrrrrlic.
    beans.
    mushrooms.
    eggplant.
    soymilk.
    soy "ice cream".
    tofutti cream cheese.
    bagels.
    cereal.
    nuts/nut butters.
    blueberries.
    bananas.
    flaxseeds.
    veg. waffles (homemade).
    chocolate!
    oh the list goes on and on...

Default What foods do you love now, but never bought when you were omni?

I thought it would be interesting to have a thread where we list the foods that we buy all the time now that we would have never bought (or never knew existed!) as meateaters. Besides the obvious things like meat/dairy replacements.

For me, I think the big one is lentils. I didn't even know what a lentil was when I was omni LOL. I had heard the word, but wouldn't have recognized a lentil to save my life. Now I don't know how I lived without them!

I had also never heard of kale until a few months after going vegan, but now I cook with it all the time. Oh and I never bought a raw piece of ginger in my life until last year!
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Default Re: What foods do you love now, but never bought when you were omni?

I have to say that "VEGENAISE" is my biggest surprise! It tastes ten time better than real mayonaise IMO.

I also have an addiction to vegan Ethiopian food!
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Houmous

Oh yeah, houmous! I didn't know what that was either before I went vegan . I can't believe what a small, meat-and-potatoes world I lived in back then.

Also, as an omni, I would never have dreamed of buying dark chocolate! I thought it would be too bitter to taste good. Boy was I wrong!

MISO!!!! Yum!!

i virtually live off of houmous during the week, i never get bored of it.

olives, i tried them cut up small in salad and now love them along with pesto pasta and aubergine is a big favourite of mine now.

like everyone else i eat a much more varied and healthy (sometime) diet now, oww thinking about the not so healthy side of things - falafel but thats only cos i go to maoz and have to have chips with it and pile as much of the deep fried cauliflower from the salad bar on top of the falafel as possible

Tofu.

I would also have avoided all pulses where possible, apart from red kidney beans!

And seaweed!! I'd have never tried that.

most of the foods i never ate before i was vegan i don't really like now, e.g. quinoa, seitan, tempeh, seaweed, brown rice, miso... i'd never eaten tofu before i started thinking of going vegan but i'm still not a big fan unless it's deep-fried or roasted. i don't think i'd eaten sprouted beans (except Chinese beansprouts) before i was vegan but again they're not something i eat regularly. i do eat raw seeds (pumpkin, sunflower etc.) fairly often which i didn't do before i went vegan.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Nice thread idea Yoggy!
    Although I was veggy for many years before going vegan, I wasn't very adventurous or original with my food choices. Since going vegan, this has changed and I'm now very fond of a wide variety of stuff including: Quinoa, Barley Miso, aduki beans, pumpkin seeds and sprouted seeds/beans.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Tofu ! I never even thought of trying it before but LOVE LOVE LOVE it
    Also sweet potato, I used to think it looked horrible but also love it now !

vegetables.

Yes, vegetables. I used to do anything I could to avoid them. Now, I willingly buy, prepare, and even eat them. I think my mom is still in shock.

hummous, oh and tofu

Just about everything I eat now apart from carrots and potatoes, which I have always liked.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Vegenaise, tahini, nutritional yeast, tea! (I never used to drink tea), quinoa, wakame salad, all the delicious vegan cookies (abc, newman's, nana's, liz lovely), dark chocolate, goddess dressing, miso, popcorn kernels that I pop myself, earth balance, tamari, flax seeds.

So much good stuff!!!

Smoked tofu - divine stuff!

- Marmite: I'm in the States, so it's not common; I only find it in a few specialty stores, so luckily I work in one!
    - Agave nectar: 300 times better than honey, in my opinion, without the guilt; apparently my mom's been buying it for years and I never took notice.
    - All pulses: I always looked at them with disgust, but they're actually pretty good!
    - Soymilk: Same as pulses; I always thought it was watered down junk, but I couldn't live without it now.

I still don't like tofu, but people always assume I eat it because that's all vegans eat, apparently. *rolls eyes*

these have probably already been mentioned but: houmous, soya milk, tofu, dark chocolate, avocadoes, fruit, yeast extract, seeds. I had an extremely poor diet before I became vegan due to eds
    "On the dance-floor I am a world class freak... Its the beat"

-muesli
    -apples
    -salads with vinigar based dressing and chopped almonds.
    -pickles
    -fresh pineapple
    -oatmeal
    -vanilla soy milk
    -fat free refried beans
    -butter beans
    -rice and veggie mixture
    -bagel with fruit spread or hummus on it
    -boca burgers..the ones labeled vegan of course.

grapes
    strawberries
    pineapple
    raw carrots
    raw broccoli
    raw spinach
    nuts
    melon
    cucumbers
    raw mushrooms
    pears
    chocolate
    jacket potatoes
    tomatoes
    raw cabbage

i guess soymilk. i remember my mum buying it when i was younger on some health fad and i thought it tasted minging.

weird that i love it now. i mix the unsweetened stuff with cinnimon, or nutmeg or a drop or two of vanilla essence. yum

EDIT - i just realised that you asked for no meat/dairy replacements. that's a harder question, because i never had to buy food for myself until i left home, and then i was gradually vegetising my diet anyway. i always liked tofu and beans and lentils and things, although my mum never cooked them loads at home. i guess marmite. i never 'disliked' it, it just never really occurred to me to eat it. love it now

amanda

cheeky_b

Vegetables have been a drastic change for me since going from an omni diet to veg -> vegan. I didn't have a repulsion, but there was certainly less of it on the plate. I'd also add rice, soy/rice milk, tofu, soy meat...

My mom cooked mainly Middle Eastern growing up, so I was always exposed to a wide variety of different foods. Although some things I never tried or never enjoyed.

Those are:
    Kale, bok choy, and Swiss chard
    Soy milk and soy yogurt
    Higher in fiber cereals
    Peace, love, and happiness.