Thread: Finger foods for toddlers

Question Finger foods for toddlers

Our kids are slowly (very slowly) eating more "regular" food but I want to make sure to give them a variety. Ben is much more likely to eat finger foods than Sarah but she'll eat them eventually after watching him. So far, the finger foods they've tried are: kidney/pinto/black beans, wholegrain cereal, peas, ezekiel sprouted grain bread and once, chopped kale. What other sorts of finger foods would be good for them to try?

Also, how do I know when they are ready to eat uncooked fruits like pears, apples etc.?

I should say too that Sarah has an interesting habit of eating only 1/2 of whatever she picks up. We always end up finding 1/2 bean, 1/2 oatio etc on the floor or chair .

Default Re: Finger foods for toddlers

Sorry, I don't have any advice to offer, I just had to say those two personalitites remind me of my two kitties! Me, huh?
    Love to the twins!

Melina

My daughter is 16 months old. As for fingerfoods, I give her whole wheat pasta (macaroni, shells...), mandarine slices (halved), dates (cut in small pieces), banana or mango pieces, cooked vegetables (carrots, potatoes, zucchini, etc), strawberry pieces, sliced olives, wholegrain bread with almond paste, actually, anything that is soft enough for her to mash with her gums, and cut into bite-sized pieces. My girl loves peas and beans. I don't think I would give her apples or pears or anything "hard" that requires real chewing until her molars come in.

Melina,

Does she eat pureed foods at all or only finger foods? How do you know when she's had enough to eat nutrition-wise when giving her only finger foods? (can you tell I know nothing about raising babies? )

Snivels,

. They'll take that as a compliment. Cats are cool .