Thread: Vegan Hawaii

Red face Hawaii

Hi all...I need some help! I am from Australia, but I am paying a visit to Honolulu (Waikiki) in July. YAY! Anyhow, is being vegan going to be a challenge for me over there? Are there any good whole food shops or restaurants that are not full of greasy junk food (I don;t want to live off french fries for a week!)

Love Banana!

i was actually just there! my school went on a trip, and we stayed on a campsite where they fed us summer camp cafeteriea style food. which meant i was eating lots of plain lettuce without dressing. however, we went into a nearby town, Weiamia (sp??????), and even though it was pretty small there was a lot to eat. lots of asian influence around there, which works in our favor. at the grocery store i was able to pick up some fried tofu to give me some protein, which was pretty good. there were also two smoothie/coffee shops that had vegan desserts. i think you'll do fine.

Unregistered

Look for Mr. Goodburger there. It is an all vegan "fast food" place with soy milk shake smoothies, vegan burgers and fries.

Down to Earth is a great vegan store, with a deli. There are a few on the Island. I live in Hawaii, and I go there all the time. There are so many Asian restaurants that offer great vegan dishes.
    Last edited by alohavegan; Jun 28th, 2004 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Grammar

Red face Being vegan in Waikiki

Hey guys! I am lucky enough to be escaping this evil Melbourne (Australia) winter weather to spend a week in the summer bliss of Waikiki beach in Hawaii!!!!

I am leaving in 3 weeks and was just wanting some tips on being vegan over there. Where can I buy a healthy meal from (I don't want to live on fries all week) and how much (US) will a meal (approximately) cost me?

Also, I am doing a day tour to Volcanos National Park on the main Island of Hawaii. Lunch is included at Volcanos House and I requested a vegan meal but they said they cannot do that. Any suggestions? I would say bringing something may not be such a good idea because we will be out in the hot all day.

Thanx in advance

hey banana, you could have come to Queensland!

or come to sunny(!) england!...
    hmm tough call, hawaii, england, hawaii, england.....

Red face

I think I would rather go to Hawaii!!!! Nothing against Queensland or England.....

Hey Banana I was just in Honolulu and found myself in a down to earth and the little deli there is quite good. There is one in Pearl Harbor as well if you need to look up direction they are on the Happy Cow website. It was such a relief when I got to sit down and have a good meal. Hope you find it and enjoy it

Bazooka is my dogs name and I am quit fond of it. Haha.

Smile

Thanks for all of your help everyone..I am going in three days so hopefully I will have an awesome time!

Frank Lucas

Default Had some amazing Hawainians in Lismore

Had a couple from Hawaii put some vidieos at 20000 cows restaurant Lismore.
    Guy was a nutritionalist from the states. Showed how fat slithers got in the blood of meat eaters and how cows milk actually leached calicum out of the body.
    Should be some good Vegan stuff in Hawaii if you really look around. Take care
    Aloha

Smile Being vegan in Hawaii

Hi all...just over a week ago, I returned to my cold disgusting home, after spending a week on sunny Waikiki beach in Honolulu...

Although the weather was bliss, eating was not. I swear, all I ate all week was:
    - vegan sushi rolls and miso soup
    - steamed white rice and pickled vegetables
    - avocado and salad sandwiches
    However I must say, the fruit was scrumptious...I should have been a fruitarian for a week with all those gorgeous juicy pineapples, papayas, peaches, mangoes, kiwis, strawberries, bananas...the list goes on - and I did get hives from eating too much!!!!

In Waikiki, the concept of vegetarian, let alone vegan was largely unthought of...pizza sauces and pasta sauces all contained animal stock, salads were pre-made with chicken bits and you couldn't buy summer rolls (rice paper rolls) without prawns.

But I discovered the best place to eat in Waikiki for us vegans is the International Market food court which has a nice sandwich bar, which also sells huge fruit salad bowls- but BE specific - NO CHEESE, NO MAYONNAISE...they couldn't quite understand this and every day I had to explain it a million times. There is also a korean place that sells a veggie plate of white rice and 4 choices of vegetables (mainly pickled) for $6 or so. I was not game to eat much cooked food/noodle soups from the other Asian places as I was worried they wouldn't understand me if I asked how it was cooked (egg noodles/fish stock etc...)

Surprisingly, the place that I had the least trouble was a place called, ironically, the cheesecake factory. They were very sensitive to my requests and I ended up (of course on the last night) having the damn nicest burger I have ever had in my life!!! It was a portabella mushroom grilled (seperately to the meat), plus I requested eggplant and capsicum. It came with lettuce and tomato and fried onions and ketchup....it was as big as my face as well!!!!

Going out for breakfast was a pain, coz American soy milk is particularly gross in my opinion....so I went to the supermarket and got Kashi seven in the morning cereal and rice dream vanilla enriched (both which we dont have in Australia and loved so much that I brought home!!) and I had that with fresh berries and other fruits. But by mistake I was drinking non-vegan calcium fortified OJ...I realised on the last day and I felt horrible....but you live, you learn. I guess I just assumed it was vegan because my calci OJ is!!!

Hi banana - welcoming home to Oz!

This coming weekend I'm off to the US to visit my daughter in Frisco, Colorado. She tells me that there is a great deli/grocery store that has heaps of vegan products, and that I'll love it! So hopefully I'll do better than you as regards food, but I doubt if the weather where I'm going is as blissful as you experienced.

Banana, why was the OJ non-vegan?

Smile

I can't exactly remember if it was lactic acid or it may have been actual milk powder (as the calcium source). The OJ I get here is fortified with seaweed, so I just assumed it would be the same...hmmm I suppose not!!! That will teach me to check ingredients before the 7th time I've eaten it!!!

Cool The Maui Guide to Vegan Dining

The Maui Guide to Vegan Dining

Maui has many award winning restaurants with some of the finest chefs. Working with island fresh ingredients, the fresh clean taste of a Vegan dish is the best. Almost all restaurants offer a "house" salad and a Marinara pasta with vegetables

Click ME.

Default Re: The Maui Guide to Vegan Dining

I just got a co-op job in HAWAII!!!! I'll be living there from January to April! I can't wait! I'm going to live in Hilo (on Hawaii Island). It's known as the wettest city in America , but I already live in a wet city, plus I was in Thailand during the rainy season, so that won't be a problem! I'm a little worried about find good vegan eats while I'm there, especially after reading Medjool's experience. Though, there's a place in Hilo called "Abundant Life Wholefoods & Deli". Is that what most of you call "Whole Foods". If so, then I think I'll be okay because I've heard so much good stuff about that place.

I'm so excited! Any other advice about being vegan in Hawaii would be appreciated.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Default Re: Vegan Hawaii

Yoggy,

Try a place called Hale Vietnam in Honolulu. They have several vegan dishes. As you know eating out in Hawaii can be very exspensive. This place is very reasonable. Also check out Down to earth Deli it is a Deli/health food strore-they do not serve meat at all. They do have dairy though. But you can find some good vegan stuff there. It is also pretty cheap. I miss the surf there. Sigh. The waves there can be pretty scary at times. Good Luck!
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Thanks, Maya. Unfortunately, I'll be living in Hilo, on a different island. Do you know how expensive and how long it takes to travel between islands? When I have time off I'll want to travel around and see all the sights!

I have a Hawaiian tropical fruit question!

Today I went to the Hilo farmer's market and bought loads of fruit and vegetables. One of the fruits I bought was yellow and round like an apple. But the skin is kind of hard, and you're supposed to split it open and eat the pulp inside. The name of the fruit started with an "A", but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called! Does ANYONE know the name of it? I can't find any info about it on the internet!

Blueshark

Missed this thread. Thats sounds like an amazing experience yoggy!

Hope it continues to go well.

Thanks Blueshark, it's going great so far!

I found out the name of that yellow fruit, it's called an abiu

I just visited Hawaii for the first time about 3 weeks ago. Had a great time - although it was a fairly small trip. Stayed in the Waikiki area of Honolulu. Managed to go to a bunch of vegan-friendly places. I've written about it over at:

http://www.saveascream.com/features2010veganhawaii.htm

One of the highlights was seeing the sleeping seal over at Diamond Head. So cute!

I went to the island of Kauai, Hawaii on holiday just over a year ago. What a fantastic place and vegan heaven. I could not believe how many vegan-friendly eateries there were in such a (relatively) small place. I ate like a vegan queen and especially recommend the following:

Postcards Cafe in Hanalei
    Polynesia Cafe in Hanalei
    Blossoming Lotus in Kapaa
    Mermaids Cafe in Kapaa
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Signed a lease for an apartment just outside Paia on Maui. Mana Foods store and plenty of V-friendly cafes nearby! Upcountry has a veggie place I will be trying soon.
    This is just the antidote to Beijing life: at the moment the air is horrible there (as usual).
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

I'm jealous, pat! Enjoy!
    tabbouleh-bouleh