Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Your personal vegan story

RubyDuby

Default Re: Your personal vegan story

Quote mexicanpotato View Post
    We can live just fine without animal products. In fact, we're better off.
    amen.

love your avatar!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Thank you! I found it randomly on google...hehe...

aye, but what did you google word-wise to find the image??

it's cute..heart..thingy
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

uhh you know I really don't remember. When I'm bored I google the most random things. I think it was "love" on images but I can't be sure...

Quote Zero View Post
    I remember seeing that movie a long time ago! Do you remember what it was called? I had forgotten all about it until I read your post.
    Powder
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

I don't think I ever had any thoughts of being veggie/vegan as a child/teen, not as far as I can remember.
    I have always loved animals, I have worked at a vet clinic since I was 15 and still do (I'm now 24). I remember there was a girl in my year at school who I think was veggie, but wore leather shoes etc. I don't think I knew any others growing up.

I began thinking about using products not tested on animals, I clearly remember a poster of a rabbit up at school and so I used products from the Body Shop.

In 2006 when I realised the BS had been sold to L'Oreal I started searching for alternatives.

I found the Choose Cruelty Free website and also found links to websites about being veggie and vegan. I decided in August '06 to become vegan as I couldn't consume/use animal products anymore after reading the information I found.

I am happy and healthy and am pretty sure I could never "go back".

I sometimes wish I had thought of this earlier but I am happy I made the change at all... perhaps if I had tried it at a younger age I would have faced more obstacles (parents, school, friends etc) and maybe I would have gone back to being an omni and never considered veganism again, v.glad that isn't the case.

I initially became vegetarian because I didn't like the taste and then it became because I just couldn't bring myself to eat a dead animal, because I love them too much.
    I was a vegetarian for 5 years and then I watched the "Meat your Meet" video aaaand that pushed me to veganism. Since reading more into it there's more reasons than "I love animals". There's environmental and health reasons as well as ethical.

Yay Jessicake! A similar thing happened to me to. Once I became vegan I started to learn more about how it was the right thing to do for other reasons, such as the environment and world hunger.

Quote Jessicake View Post
    I initially became vegetarian because I didn't like the taste and then it became because I just couldn't bring myself to eat a dead animal, because I love them too much.
    I was a vegetarian for 5 years and then I watched the "Meat your Meet" video aaaand that pushed me to veganism. Since reading more into it there's more reasons than "I love animals". There's environmental and health reasons as well as ethical.
    That was the video that did it for me. Nasty isn't it? Originally I said "I'm gonna eat all my veggie food (like Quorn) first then go vegan." But I ate something with egg in and felt ill. I also said if I wanted eggs I'd get them off my friend who rescued battery chickens (who are now really healthy ), but I've gone right off eggs. Can't even stand the smell now.

I love being vegan I've tried so many new things since. People always ask me if it's difficult, to me it's easy peasy and natural. I couldn't imagine ever going back

Zero

Quote Haniska View Post
    Powder
    Thats the one! Thank you!

RebeccaDye

I used to eat meat when I was a toddler until I was about 5.
    My parents used to take me and my brother to farms and conservation places a lot and we had a lot of pets ourselves so I naturally loved animals.
    One day, I asked my parents what I was eating and where it came from, and when they confirmed that I was eating a dead animal I was horrified and demanded never to be fed it again!

From the age of 5 to 15 I was vegetarian, and one day last summer I saw a Peta sticker on a bus. Having nothing better to do in a six week holiday, I went on Peta's website and started to learn about the horrors of the dairy, egg, wool, leather etc. industries. I was mortified. I then watched Meet Your Meat which confirmed that I needed to go vegan.

After telling my omni parents, who were surprisingly supportive, I made the switch fairly easily. I still get fun poked at me at school for it, but it's easily the best decision I've made in all (15 years of ) my life. 7 months strong.

Meet Your Meat.

I mean I've always loved animals and felt that animals should never be harmed or abused and such, but being a kid I never stopped to think about what I was eating (stupid right?). So I found peta2, which led me to Meet Your Meat. I remember this horror flooding through me when I watched it, and right then I called up my best friend sobbing and told her to watch the video as well. While she was watching it over the phone with me I said "I am never eating meat again for the rest of my life".
    And that's how it goes.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

elve

I went veggie 6yrs ago when my 8yr old son announced that it wasn't right to eat mammals, since we are mammals - good point, it does seem a bit mean

Then I rescued lots of rabbits and guinea pigs and became fond of herbivores - very glad I didn't eat them any more

A couple of people on a rabbit forum got me thinking about 'where does milk come from?' - Until then I had thought it came from a bottle This is the pic that did it for me - it always makes vegetarians feel guilty! And when Jamie Oliver did his prog on battery farming, I was pretty glad I'd become vegan the week before - all the veggies I knew were begging me for vegan recipies

I had always known that there were Vegans and Vegetarians around me. It was cool - I respected them for doing the right thing, but I was raised as an omni.

One day, my friend told me about PETA's "Meet Your Meat" video. I saw it at her house, and oh god, I just broke down. My guy-friend and I started crying as we were watching. I had always known that what I was eating was dead animal, but... to see them treated like that... I felt like complete scum, honestly. I've always loved animals, and knowing that I was, in a way, responsible for their treatment really messed me up. [So to speak.]

As soon as my friend's brother saw me crying, he basically shot me down. He was like, "Wow, way to go. That's not how they're ALL treated". But, even if that's true, the fact that THOSE animals, RIGHT THERE were being treated that way didn't make it right. :/

So I told my dad I wanted to go Vegetarian. He didn't agree with me - and still kind of doesn't - but he respected my decision. That lasted all of two weeks, maybe. I learned more about how chickens and cows are treated and I didn't want to be part of that, either.

The way I let my dad know was basically refusing to eat. He didn't want to listen to me talk about how the animals were being treated. He saw the video and didn't do anything. I kind of understand him now, seeing as he's been eating meat for a much longer time than I have, and he just wants me to be healthy. So I didn't eat much. Strictly the few Vegan things we had lying around [for whatever reason]. He finally gave in in September of last year.

My dad and I still get into arguments about the whole "do ALL workers treat the animals like that?". And he didn't even go Vegetarian, even after seeing the video. But that's his life - I'm a lot happier with mine. But yeah, he deals with it. He thinks it's good that I'm standing up so strongly for something I truly believe in.

---

I'll have been Vegan for five SIX months on the fourteenth. :]
    [I just barely passed the mark!]

Last edited by xErasedCitizenx; Jul 20th, 2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: added something.

Quote xErasedCitizenx View Post

That's it really, I try go to demos when I can, sign petitions etc, talk to people who are interested about it, but don't do much activism. I really want to but there isn't much going on around here and i'm not sure how to start something/I don't have much time being a full time student with a job.
    There is loads of stuff going on up in the North. Just have a look on myspace or a search engine and you will find stuff. Big campaigns with "Foie Gras Free North" at the moment and lots of anti fur stuff. Most of the AR groups hop on coaches and come down here for big demos because unfortunately we have alot of big pharma companies, labs and aristocratic universities. If you can't find anything, let me know and I'll speak to some people I know up there.

As for your Animal Liberation tattoo - that is awesome! I hope you are gonna post a pic on the tattoo thread? I had vegan tattooed on my wrist for some of the same reasons and I'm getting a full back peice incorporating Animal Liberation some time this year.

I feel your pain about Earthlings. I've not watched it but then I don't really want to.

Welcome to the forum!!!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Last edited by xErasedCitizenx; Jul 20th, 2014 at 09:34 AM.

http://animalaid.org.uk/h/n/ACTIVE/s...speaker/ALL///

Giving a talk at a local school is one of the most highly effective and rewarding things you can do.

thanks for your story!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Hi Erased Citizen and welcome to the forum

I've been vegan for a little over 4 years, and watched Earthlings for the first time this year too.

It really is a very powerful, yet haunting documentary and it helped me re-affirm my reasons for being a vegan and animal rights activist.

I remember sitting at the family dinner table as an 8 year old, with my fork full of steak on it's way to my mouth, when my older sister said, "you may as well be eating a baby you know" (she liked shock value!). I think this is the first time I made the connection that the food I was eating had been alive once. My older sisters went vegetarian in their teens, and I think I thought that they were cool, so I would too. I started to get into Animal liberation (in a sort of cutesy 10 year old way) and refused to eat meat. Poor mum, not being the most adventurous of cooks, really struggled to feed us and often we ended up with three veggies on a plate. It was all just too hard for her, so I ate sausages and bacon from time to time. It wasn't until I was about 17 that I finally took control of my food and declared myself vegetarian. When I became pregnant at 25, I decided to go vegan as I believed this was the best possible choice to grow a healthy human being. My doctors were pissed off and concerned that I would have a underweight ill baby. I turned into an expert medical researcher () and used to quote them back statistics that showed that babies born to non-meat consuming mothers were often larger than meat eating ones! My daughter was 10 pound 1 ounce when born!

I stayed vegan for three years after her birth, but my husband felt the whole thing was a hassle. He did most of the cooking back then and even though he was vegetarian, he wasn't at all supportive of my choice. He gave our daughter cheese and she bloody well loved it and wanted more (sigh).

I'm now 36, divorced and my new partner was vegetarian when we met. We decided to go vegan together and it's a whole different thing with the support of your partner. I learnt to cook and we love to plan out our food choices.

The biggest surprise for me has been the incredible feeling of 'expansion' that has resulted. I feel like that part of me that I had to turn off every time I ate an egg or a piece of dairy chocolate is finally able to be acknowledged - I feel whole.

I still can't point to a single reason.....animal rights, health, environment, my Buddhist values....they all add up. Veganism for me is about evolving to be the best that I can be.

It's nice to share our stories, isn't it?
    In her satin tights.....fighting for your rights.....

Yay! Wonderwoman Good for you. It must be nice to have a partner to share the transition with.

I think I've always been vegan deep down, I just didn't have the confidence in my convictions to live this way until recently.

Until 2 months ago, I was a "turn a blind eye, stick my head in the sand and pretend all the animals I was eating had a happy, fulfilled life and a quick painless death" kinda meat-eater. All it took was one person to say, "erm actually that's not entirely true, here read this" for me to turn completely and fully vegan.

I just wish I'd known about the suffering caused to animals a long time ago, being quite a new vegan I currently get all the "it's just a phase, it'll never last, here have a cheeseburger" comments.

Congrats on awakening Laura-Louise! We are here to support you and I'm sure you will read lots about people offering cheeseburgers etc in the "things meat eaters say and do" thread.

Keep up the good work so far
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I first went vegan in High School, when I was 17, I realized that my cats (who I love as much as if they were my own children) were the same as any animal I had ever cooked and/or eaten. I was VERY obvious to me that Oreo, Marco, Maxine, Mazeppa, Blacky, Snowy and Evi (all my cats... ) could feel emotion and certainly pain. I felt horribly guilty about what I had been contributing in.

Then, a year later, my best friend and a bunch of family members decided that they knew what what good for me and pressured me to leave the diet (which I regrettably did...) because I didn't have any actual information to back-up my decision other than it was what I believe is the best and most sensible decision.

So, for about 2 more years I ate meat. but everytime the subject of vegetarianism or animal cruelty came-up, I was basically reminded of it and wished that I was still vegan.

Finally, two years ago I decided that not doing anything about it was silly. I got the information I needed, faced those who thought it was a bad idea and made sure that this time they knew that I knew what I was doing and was making my own decision.

I quit eating meat, dairy and eggs within a week, and began to religiously read ingrediant lists and watch what I consumed. Most of my friends thought I was "going through a 'phase' again" but after a while they began to actually accept it. I was a lot happier all the time, and it was actually more fun for me because I was educating all my friends about something which I cared about. Plus it inspired me to speak-up more about other things I care for.

The best part is, now my each of my friends are proud of being the friend of a vegan, and my boyfriend has actually become one (his excuse was that I only cook veggies, now, so he might as well take the steps...)

Quote tempres View Post

The best part is, now my each of my friends are proud of being the friend of a vegan, and my boyfriend has actually become one (his excuse was that I only cook veggies, now, so he might as well take the steps...)
    That is so cool!

Quote VeganDaze View Post
    That is so cool!
    thank you, VeganDaze. it's been amazingly fun so-far

I was certainly not raised vegan, but made a conscious decision to become one after reading Green for Life just over a year ago. It made so much sense and I stated to implement what she taught, but within a month I had a massive stroke and spent the next two and a half months in four different hospitals! When I finally was released last June. I started thinking again and shortly thereafter began eating a raw vegan diet. I am doing very well except I am still unable to walk without my walker and sometimes a cane. But, finally my mind is clear and I am doing so much better now.

Stress was the main reason for my problems which began with all the excess cortisol. It caused me to gain weight even though I had never had a problem due to overeating. The weight caused sleep apnea which eventually caused the stroke. When I had my stroke my weight was 224 and I averaged about 1800-1900 calories a day of good nutritional foods. I was going for walks three times a week or exercise, practicing EFT for relaxation, and doing other calming activities but it just did not help!

I had studied nutrition for many years and according to everything I read I had an excellent diet. So, it was enlightening for me when I read Green for Life and realized that everything I had been taught about nutrition was terribly wrong and very inaccurate!

Now that I am eating healthy, organic and raw foods, I have finally been able to lose weight that absolutely would not leave prior to eating this way. Also, as I am no longer eating meat or dairy, my stress level has gone down even though the other circumstances have not changed all that much!

My family does keep me somewhat busy, but the kids are all grown up now. The twins are now 22 years old, still living at home and attending college part time. My oldest son is the web master for our local newspaper. Two of my 3 daughters drive taxis, but both are attempting to get jobs driving big rigs! The other daughter is very busy keeping the city's paperwork in order. I have 6 children ranging in ages 22-41! Then, at last count, there are 14 grandchildren!

All three boys are Eagle Scouts! I homeschooled the twins from fourth grade through high school and my eldest son through high school! Now that they are not in school per se, things have indeed settled down and I am only really busy doing volunteer work such as Crimestoppers.

Several years ago I became a Master Gardener but have not done much gardening lately. Sure hope to be able to get back into that soon. Alaska's weather is not very easy to deal with weather-wise, as it rarely cooperates!
    Last edited by northernstars; Apr 27th, 2008 at 08:07 PM. Reason: more history

I'm sorry you have had a tough time northernstars. It takes a very strong person to get through something like that and come out the other side still positive. I'm glad to hear your veganism is helping your health and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your reply. I do and always have considered myself to be very mentally strong and extremely determined. The stroke sure has managed to make things more difficult, but I intend to overcome this too.

I am finding that people involved with healthful eating and good health practices are very supportive. I imagine a lot of that comes from all the determination it takes to buck the normal system as to what is considered "normal".

Thanks again,
    Sharon

I've been vegetarian my whole life. My parents went vegetarian 10 years or so before I was born, for health reasons. However, I've always loved animals so I was always more into the ethical reasons for not eating meat. (i.e. As a child, I found out what leather was made of and refused to wear leather shoes after that, which my parents did not get at first but finally came to understand...my dad doesn't buy leather shoes anymore either! ) Since my parents were vegetarian for health reasons, my mom decided that if I ever asked if I could try meat, she'd let me. So when I was about 4, I was playing with a friend one day who was eating a McDonald's hamburger and she offered me a bite. My mom said I could try it if I wanted. I didn't know what meat really is, so I said okay and tried it. I was confused because to me, it tasted just like a veggie burger, except maybe not quite as good. A few years later, when I found out that meat=dead animals, I freaked out, and I felt guilty for many years for taking that one bite of hamburger. I also gave my mom a ton of grief for letting me...I finally realized that I was young and didn't know what I was doing. Sometimes people ask me if I've ever tried meat and when I proudly tell them I've only tried it once and it was only a bite of burger, they act so incredibly shocked. They're always like "Well how do you know you don't like it if you don't eat it? Why not just try a *little*?" And I always say "But I have no desire whatsoever to try it. The very idea disgusts me."
    Anyway...when I was 13 I was surfing the internet and found a site on veganism (I think it was on PETA's site, but I'm not sure). I was shocked to discover the suffering that went on for the production of milk and eggs (although I didn't really find out the incredible extent of the suffering until later--I'd only scratched the surface). So I decided I wanted to go vegan, and I worked up all my courage to tell my mother. I've always had a really good relationship with my parents and I've always wanted to make them happy, so when my mom was unhappy I dropped the subject. I'm sad to say I was too scared to pursue it much further and pretty much just gave up. However, the next day I decided I was disgusted by the sight of milk and announced that I could no longer drink it. Shortly after that, I stopped eating yogurt, and then cut out cottage cheese, then sour cream, yogurt, etc. Eventually it got to the point where I mostly only ate eggs and dairy that were "invisible" or cooked into a product (i.e. baked goods and desserts mostly) and sometimes ate cheese and ice cream. I thought it was okay as long as it was organic or eggs were free-range, but deep down I think I knew that didn't really mean much. I always told myself that once I went to college I'd go completely vegan, but then when I got here I didn't. I ate pretty much all vegan in the dining hall, but afterwards I'd get really hungry (the quality of the vegan food here is pretty bad, but they do have decent selection at least) and I'd eat ice cream or dessert. I always felt guilty but I couldn't bring myself to go vegan mostly because I was scared of how my family would react (especially my grandparents). Finally, this semester (spring of my sophomore year) I started cooking all my own food and I always cook vegan, so I ate completely vegan...until I got home for spring break. Then my mom fed me lots of lacto-ovo food and I got kind of sick from it... When I got back to school I realized I wanted to become completely vegan. I also had a realization earlier this semester when I was cooking in the dorm kitchen (everyone shares) and this guy came in and started making fettucine alfredo and instead of wanting to eat the cheese, I was disgusted by it. So last week I FINALLY got up my courage and called my mom and told her I had decided to go vegan. She was totally okay with it (I think she'd been expecting it to happen sooner or later). My dad was kind of upset when I told him (he was worried about nutrition and sad I couldn't go out for ice cream with him anymore, but I told him I'd buy him soy ice cream from the store instead). So now, at 21, 8 years after I first decided I wanted to go vegan, I finally am one!!
    Wow...sorry this is so long (I hope no one reads it all!). It was kind of therapeutic to write it.

mariana - Some of us have 12 hours at work to burn so reading cool stories like that is fun. How great to have only tried meat once. I ate meat for 14 years before becomming veggie and vegan at 20. Congratulations on your new found love for all things vegan!

I really like reading everyone's personal vegan stories! Those were really interesting mariana and northernstars.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Thanks emzy and holly! And I'm glad to provide you entertainment at work emzy. lol. Yeah, I'm really glad I only tried meat once. A lot of people just don't get it though. They think I'd be really curious to see what a hunk of dead flesh tastes like! Yuck!

Hi, Everyone!
    My name's Amy, and I'm a vegan of about 7 days.
    My story goes a little something like this...

When I was younger, I refused to eat meat, even as a little tacker. I just couldn't understand that any person would want to eat what was once a walking, beautiful animal. And my parents fought with me black and blue to eat meat, so I ended up eating it disguised in foods. When I was about 12 I decided to officially say I was vegetarian, because it was ridiculous just going to barbeques and having people try and force you to eat meat. My mum took me to a dietician because she was afraid I would be unhealthy as a result, and although the dietician wasn't worried about me going vege, she certainly didn't do much help.

About a year after this, I started getting sick. Only as I look back now do I see the events that unfolded had actually caused me to develop depression, and through this time, I was grieving. Looking back now I know that I was 'sick', because that's what I do when I'm experiencing negative emotions... I literally get sick to the stomach of something. Anyway, I was told I was allergic to a bunch of foods and that's why I was so lethargic and depressed. So, I eliminated those foods [thus, turning vegan, as dairy was a no-no, and I did not consume eggs.] and consequently began dropping weight like there was no tomorrow. All of a sudden everyone jumped to the conclusion that because I was a teenager and I was dropping weight I was just another classic case of a child with an eating disorder, trying to live up to the unrealistic expectations. Truth: I hated myself, but I didn't know what else to do. I was told to avoid those foods, to exercise to get me physically tired to somehow aid my lethargy and to eat 'small' meals frequently. I did just that, and became even more ill.

I ended up being given two weeks to live, because my body was beginning to use my organs to survive, and was admitted into hospital. First meal there: steak. Uh... no thanks. I told them I was vegetarian, was given a councellor and a dietician, and was convinced by the dietician to 'try' meat. I looked at the tuna patties on my plate the following evening and inhaled the smell... cat food. All I could think of was feeding my cat tuna, and why the f*ck would I ever want to eat cat food?

Long story short, I went back on dairy and eggs to my disgust, as they were concerned for my 'protein' and 'calcium'.

Cut to four years later and I was constantly teased by some close friends about the fact that I was a heavy metal musician who didn't eat meat. I don't understand what that has to do with anything, but I was ridiculed and told I was weak-hearted and what-not. And eventually it got to me enough that I began to eat meat properly for the first time in my life.
    And boy, what a mistake that was.

After a year and a bit on meat, I gained a whole heap of weight, got severely ill, became extremely depressed [surprisingly more depressed than when I was admitted into hospital] and was a nasty, obnoxious person.

Then one day, about two weeks ago, it hit me; I had to be vegan. I had always wanted to be, and was convinced that it was simply meant to be that way. I was so grateful to not have to consume dairy anymore because of the osteoporosis I developed after getting ill, and not having to force myself to eat meat every night to merely be 'accepted' by my peers.

Looking back now, I feel like a complete idiot. I'd never tried to 'fit the mould' or do what anyone else said, but I decided to become partly carnivorous because I copped sh*t from some mates. I certainly learned my lesson.

I've only been entirely vegan for a few days, but already I am starting to feel empowered. I know things will only go uphill from here on in. I have faith that my depression will lift soon, and that my body will go back to the way that I am happy and comfortable with it.

I look forward to spending a lot of time here with you folks, you're all amazing going by what I've read so far.

So yeah, that's my story

Thats quite a story
    Good luck with it
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

Wow, Jet City Woman, what a story! Congratulations on becoming vegan again and best of luck to you. The part where the dieticians and counselors in the hospital tried to make you eat tuna really gets me -- "let's make her healthier by force feeding her meat?" Yuck! Also, I know about pressure from peers/family too--I let my lacto-ovo family pressure me into not giving up dairy or eggs (and you think they'd understand as vegetarians!) until one day I just got fed up and realized I had to stand up to them. Anyway, I hope you enjoy being vegan and finally getting to do what you've always wanted to do.

Wow JCW that is a very empowering story. I know what you mean about metal heads and veganism...can be a right bummer. Glad you are feeling good about your choice and I hope to see more of you.

Here we go ..
    I guess I'll start right at 'the beginning' when I was omni , we were staying down with these people in wales ( I was about 10 at the time IIRC) who kept sheep and they slaughtered one there .. so I saw it being hung up, its throat slit while the blood collected and it thrashing around, being dismembered and having its head cut off, body opened up and organs taken out, then having it in burgers that night .. I dont think it really had much of an effect on me at the time but I'm sure it had some effect on me becoming vegetarian about a year later when I was in the last year of primary school ..
    Fast-forward two years to the second year of secondary school, we were staying with people up in Oban for new years and had lots of free time, was on the computer and looking around on wikipedia about info on vegetarianism and what to avoid, as I was really just getting to understand it properly .. I came across veganism then and showed that people can live without it .. it just stayed in the back of my mind for ages.
    I just always saw it as something I 'would' do sometime, and sort of shoved it to the back of my mind, but thought about it every so often..
    A year later I finally made the decision to do something about it, so I went online to lots of different sites;wikipedia, the vegan society, peta etc etc .. and got more information - now I really did understand what it was all about and made the decision to go vegan .. So I had that in my mind for a couple of days but was afraid of telling my parents unless they had a bad reaction etc .. I finally brought it up with my mum and she said absolutely not at first, but within a few hours of me showing that I wasnt going to back down she eventually said ok, and that was fine .. we just had to come up with stuff I'd eat and since then that's been ever expanding as I find nice new vegan food
    When I went to my dads house the next day, we mentioned it and he was pretty fine with it, he's a pretty spiritual person and he does understand why, I think he's gone veggie recently - dont want to pressure him ;-) ..
    The first few days I didnt really hold it strongly as I agreed to compromise, I remember going out for a meal to a restaurant and having cream on the dessert, but as time went on I got stronger with my convictions and decided not to have anything ...
    Since then my veganism hadnt really been a big part of me, just how it was I guess, then at the start of this year I came upon the vegan forum and started thinking about it all, its definitely made me stronger in my beliefs and made veganism a bigger part of me, its great to have people to talk to
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

BlackCats

Quote Fungus View Post
    I just always saw it as something I 'would' do sometime, and sort of shoved it to the back of my mind, but thought about it every so often..
    That is exactly what I was like Fungus. I wish I hadn't shoved it to the back of my mind as long as I did.

Interesting stories everyone.

seitan

my story is pretty simple, punk!
    a band called flux of pink indians released a 7" in 1980 of which two songs on the bside were about eating meat. that opened my eyes. a year later i went vegan, wasnt totally sure the reasons for doing it, i just knew that if veganism existed, it was for the benefit of animals, so i did it.
    that was when i was 16/17, im now 41 and feeling even stronger than ever .

great stories!
    I'd like to hear a few more to cheer me up as I am having a bummer week

being vegan is incredible and has changed my life. i had been vegetarian on and off since fifth grade after making friends with a goose on a farm and finding out he had been cooked for supper the week after i left the farm. i made the choice to be vegan august of 2005 because i was sick of contributed to suffering. i have seen a dramatic transformation in my body and outlook on life. veganism is incredible and so great!

Hi all,
    I began eating a vegan diet at the beg of June this year. My husband and I had just returned home from India where we had lived for the past eight months. In India, where we lived, it was very rural. I got my chicken from a chicken slaughterer and my beef from the beef slaughterer. I had a hard time getting the meat at first because of language blocks and also because I just didn't want to deal with it, so I sent our houseboy. The one time that I went to the beef stall, they had hunks of cow hanging on hooks in the open market (flys and everything else swarming on them). They also displayed the cow tails, heads, hoofs (all the remains) so that you knew it was cow and not buffalo that you were getting. It was disgusting. Yet when I got my hunk of beef from the houseboy I dutifully cut the fat off and cooked it. When it came to getting chicken first I got it all cut up where you couldn't differentiate the parts, then I got savvy and got them to only give me the breasts. I began to ride with our houseboy on the chicken runs because then I would do the rest of my shopping and it was easier to have him. So I watched him go into the huts and pick out the chickens. To get 2KG of chicken breasts that means they killed four chickens, and I usually went twice a week because I made meals for our help as well as my husband. My chicken was always so fresh it was still warm. I never really thought about not eating the meat, even though there were tons of vegetarians in India. I just ate it. We didn't however have cheese or cows milk there, and I lost my taste for those things. Also our diet was a lot more simple and based on lots of veggies, Indian dishes, so I totally lost my need to use processed boxed items in my cooking. Everything was done homemade and fresh.
    The entire time we were in India we thought about all the foods we did want to eat when we got home, but strange enough, when we came home, I didn't want any of it. I searched to find my masala ingredients and spices. I also just stopped eating meat, not sure what it was, but I just didn't want it. Then within the next few weeks I cut fish out of my diet and stopped eating eggs and cheese.I read Skinny Bitch and then Fast Food Nation and kept getting more and more informed on the reality of the meat and dairy industries, the effects they have on our environment and our health and just got more supercharged to continue on my vegan journey. Coming onto the vegan forum also helped me see the light on the concept of being vegan and is a constant reinforcement to my ideals. Thats how it happened.....I guess it was an awakening.

Cool. Glad you are wide awake now!

...and what are the masala spices spicing up these days?

I can't really explain why I went vegan. I knew several vegetarians and a few vegans and never got it. A meat eating culture is what were raised in. We're never exposed to it so you think its just the way it is. Well knowing veggies/vegans makes you curious, so I started doing my research through reading and such. I've always advocated anti-war and non-violence, but somehow a year and a half ago it just clicked with me. You cannot be non-violent and eat meat its just stupid. So I gave up the meat and flirted with the idea of becoming vegan. It was about the time when I was visiting my grand-parents in Oklahoma. Its a farm friendly community and a not very vegan friendly community.

I just looked around me and nothing was vegan friendly or even vegetarian friendly. I went back to the hotel and watched animal rights documentaries. Especially Peaceable Kingdom. I just looked at the love people were giving these animals and it made me cry. And just then and there I said to myself I cannot eat animal products anymore. And I haven't since January 1st or so. I feel a bit of a hypocrit being a full vegan advocate now being an omni for so long, but veganism is amazing thing. Its really something that makes me proud and why not veganism is health, environmentalism, compassion and love all in one! Now that I know its so easy I get kinda mad at people for not giving it a chance, but I was there once.

hello all ,

Im a proud 2nd generation vegan and my children are 3rd generation vegans and we are all very very healthy so i dont have much of a story to say except that my whole family, sister, brothers , father and mother are vegans as well.

if anybody needs any tips advice , im sure that i can help.

That's very impressive onfiregirl! I don't think I've come across any 3rd generation vegans before.

Presumably you don't get any problems with friends and relations predicting dire consequences from your veganism.

Quote harpy View Post
    That's very impressive onfiregirl! I don't think I've come across any 3rd generation vegans before.

Presumably you don't get any problems with friends and relations predicting dire consequences from your veganism.

thank you as for my family their all vegans too, so i dont have a problem with them but we do have problems with cps , lawyers , and the likes .
    do not aprove of our diet. i say screw em.

cps?

I'm surprised people still bother you; usually they're worried that it's unhealthy but if all of your family is thriving on it I would have thought that would shut them up!

not in norway and their blaming her low b12 level on her adhd but she wasnt low on b12 intil last year and shes always had adhd .