Thread: Soya milk in tea

Default Soya milk in tea

Has anyone ever put soya milk into someone's cup of tea who would normally drink cow's milk and did they notice?

Default Re: Soya milk in tea

i've done this before and people haven't noticed, but I don't know if they liked it or if they were maybe just too polite to tell me I'd made them a horrible cup of tea!

I wasn't too keen on the taste myself at first, but I love it now. I drank some cows milk in my tea by accident years ago and it tasted rancid - it was all greasy and oily.

I didn't like it. So now I just brew my tea a little lighter and add a little bit more sugar.

cross barer

I switched to soy milk long before I gave up other dairy products, so all my guests got used to soy milk in tea ages ago! I always warn them though, I think the only way somebody wouldn't notice is if they are a heavy smoker.

Me and my mum (Jill) had this hour long discussion over this. We are moiving house soon and we are both looking forward to it being a vegan house. But my mum wants to keep dairy milk in so that if we have guests over they can have milk in their tea. I know its only a small thing, but personally I hate the thought. We wouldn't buy them steak and cook it so why milk?

cross barer

Do your guests keep soy for when you pop around?

Nope

That's a shame - at least some of the people I know keep soy milk in for us! - and I always used to for my vegan friends before I went vegan.

sugarmouse

i have and some people havent noticed!!most have though.lol..buut they didnnt seem tomind just said it tasted different

i just say we dont do cows milk but i have soya milk or they can have herb tea or black coffee.

i use soy milk for mum and dad and certain friends i know wont mind or make a fuss. unsweetened is best for newbies as it doesnt taste so sweet or 'vanilla-ry'.

my mum always gets some in for me when i visit there.

also the tea - wellll, i only drink earl grey decaf so its that or herb/fruit tea or coffee - no normal tea here!

My Sister came round yesterday and happily had soya milk in her tea. Her friend also turned up here and she, too, was willing to try soya milk. Maybe I was worrying unnecessarily.

Heh yeah i actually offer to make the tea so i can put soya milk in and my family are yet to notice.. ahh with coffee its harder because if the waters too hot the soya milk becomes bitty!!
    :mad: 500 Animals are Tortured & Killed inside of Huntingdon Life Sciences Every single day for research into colourings, cosmetics etc that only 5% of results apply to humans :mad:

Hey. a quick tip with coffee. Put about 1cm deep cold water in with the coffee solids, and let the water stop boiling before you pour it in. Then when add your Soya it shouldn't be a problem.

I've found the best soya is the unsweetned non-enriched stuff. To me this tastes the most like my taste buds are expecting.

I always make the tea, but it stops me ingesting something by accident. I don't drink tea at other people's houses, but I think in future I might take my own soya with me. It's a bit too much hassle, as I don't have caffiene wither and no-one ever has decaf.

here in the states we have a wonderful soy creamer called Silk Creamer and nothing has ever tasted better in tea! It is wonderful.

If I am out of that, I sometimes put vanilla soy in my partner's tea. He still drinks it and he is not vegan, but uses soy at home (also, i make the tea!). I don't like the milk as much as the creamer as it makes it a bit sweet.

tea here is not as commonly served as coffee. My partner is from the UK though - so his opinion can be trusted! I tried to keep milk for coffee for awhile. Then I just stopped. Even when I did use milk, I only liked skim (fat free) as that was what I was raised on and people complained then. I tell people they can have soy creamer or vanilla soymilk or drink it black. They take the soy and don't seem to complain. they usually have more than one cup even!

Cryospark

Somewhere I saw something say that having soy with tea is bad for some reason, anyone come accross this? Anyone know why this might be the case.

Nothing wrong with having soymilk in tea or coffee. Been doing it for years!
    Eve

Gave the plumber (long story) tea with soy milk in yesterday, and he didn't even seem to notice - mind, he did take 2 sugars as well...

Cryospark

if eve ok's it that's good enough for me

Quote veganrockchick
    Heh yeah i actually offer to make the tea so i can put soya milk in and my family are yet to notice.. ahh with coffee its harder because if the waters too hot the soya milk becomes bitty!!
    I make coffee with soya for me everyone else has cow's milk...or they think they do LOL the trick to stop it curdling is to let the coffee cool a little first (we have filter coffee). I like it much better and have had less problems keeping it fresh than cow's milk

Good sperm

I am very very fussy with my tea and coffee, so always make it myself. So far I've found these are the best wasy to make tea and coffee with soy milk (I always use unsweetened as I prefer it, plus it doesn't overpower the taste of the tea or coffee):

Tea: boil kettle, place tea-bag, sugar (if you have it) and small amount of milk in cup (this is the bit you need to master to get your tea as milky or strong as you wish, plus if you put the milk in first the tea doesn't tend to brew as strong so you shouldn't need as much milk added.) Allow kettle to boil and leave until bubbling has stopped and kettle has calmed down. Add water and allow bag the brew for a few seconds, then stir it and squeeze it until the tea looks as strong as you want it.

Coffee:boil kettle, put coffee, sugar and milk into cup (you'll need more milk in the coffee cup than in the tea cup.) Once kettle has boiled leave for at least 5 minutes. Add about a third of a cup of water, stir, and add rest in bits stirring between each addition. The soy milk separates because the water is too close to boiling, so letting it cool a little avoids this.

Rooibosch Tea:same as tea before but much less milk as this tea isn't as strong. I find just enough to cover the bottom of the cup is fine. Add water as before but try and pour it onto the tea bag as this helps infusion. Keep stirring it to give required strength.

See-I told you I
    was fussy!

I don't think it would be a good idea to give someone soy milk in their tea or coffee without mentioning it as some people are allergic to it.

However I find that when I say to visitors "is soy milk OK?" they almost always say OK and then drink it, so it can't be that much of a shock! I think people are getting used to it here as a lot of non-vegans drink soy milk thinking it's better for them for one reason or another.

never had. Since I never take milk in my tea, its never come up for me. I don't entertain guests though, thats the kind of thing that happens when you live in a seedy tiny bachelorette. XD
    ~"Stay calm and quiet now, my pretty little one, don't struggle like that, or I will only love you more," Lullabye, The Cure

i have to say i prefer soya milk in my tea. before i went vegan i used to drink "normal" milk in my tea, but when i met my girlfriend she introduced me to the soya milk, i prefered it much more. However i didnt think i would 11 years ago when i went vege i tried soya and thought it was horrible. i think it has improved over the years. my sister ( her boyfriend and daughter) are also vegetarian but they also have soya not cows milk. I have a friend who is not even a vege but drinks soya instead of "normal". when my mum comes over she will drink soya but if she is stayin over she'll often bring a little bottle of milk for her morning tea, which i dont mind to much. Any she doesn't use she will dispose of. If people come round i always say that its soya.

Just wondering has anyone had a problem with someone havin soya in their tea without you tellin' them? you know, when they find out their like dont put your veg*nism on me sort of thing??

I hate black tea so I've stopped drinking it and soya milk in tea and coffee is horrible.
    I drink black coffee or green tea weak.
    Silent but deadly :p

nettle tea all the way!!

isn't having milk in tea just habit? apologies if i'm wrong..or it's just opinion. i'm unsure why i made this post. haha

edit...in empathy with urbandryad a bit....i don't keep coffee in my house anymore..or usually 'normal' teabags..i have what i like to drink..but certain people complain when they are here and tell me i'm inconsiderate for not keeping a supply of coffee/tea/marvel?!!?!? for when they come round. what's next ovaltine? naff off, don't think so...
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Kevster

Yes milk in tea is a bad habit.

Oh dear... *chalks up another bad habit*.... looks like I'm definitely going to hell in a handbasket.
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

I vote for nettle tea too and I'm even drying my own nettles....but it keeps raining on them. Might have to start again with that project.

I went through liking oat milk in ordinary tea but seem to have given up tea all together these days.

I don't like coffee except maybe as a flavouring in cakes.

cobweb

I'm weird as I go through cycles of only drinking herbal tea (I like the 'Pukka' ones best) and then only drinking coffee and tea - with loads of soya milk! .

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    Oh dear... *chalks up another bad habit*.... looks like I'm definitely going to hell in a handbasket.
    Me too .

I can't drink ordinary black tea with soya milk because it tastes wrong to me, so I've swapped to chai with a splash of soya milk and that's lovely. Coffee with soya milk is okay.

Quote shez View Post
    Just wondering has anyone had a problem with someone havin soya in their tea without you tellin' them? you know, when they find out their like dont put your veg*nism on me sort of thing??
    I think you should always tell the person - as harpy says they may be allergic, or might not like it.

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    LoL!!!!!!!!!

i use Alpro sweetened soya milk in tea and coffee, and i like it. i tried to get used to it black to make it easier to buy tea and coffee in places that don't sell soya milk, but i don't like it without milk. i've never got into chai either, and i drink herbal tea occasionally but i'm not a big fan.

Quote bittersweet View Post
    Gave the plumber (long story) tea with soy milk in yesterday, and he didn't even seem to notice - mind, he did take 2 sugars as well...
    Gave ..ditto -ditto - weeks ago --ditto. he took no sugar though.

Even when I told him (forgot before I gave it to him - honest ) he said "I dont' care - anyway is fine with me". I nearly fell over ! He was such an old-fashioned type, I didn't expect that!
    Personally I find it goes really well in tea. Coffee is a still a problem though - unless I use the Alpro fresh stuff.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Red Provamel in tea or nothing. (No one has ever noticed..)
    Black coffee.
    My preference.

cobweb

I mainly use the vegan creamer powder for Coffee, from Veganstore. I never ask people, just put it in their drinks, as with soya milk in tea. When I told someone recently what they'd been drinking at my house they turned pale . Honestly! . The allergy issue hadn't occurred to me .

i used to use the powdered creamer from Veganstore, but i hardly ever buy anything from there any more so it wasn't worth it for me in the end. people must've noticed that wasn't cows' milk when you gave it to them though? it tastes a bit weird to me and doesn't settle properly.

cobweb

I think they did but didn't like to comment! . I stir it really well but yes, it's still a little bit powdery.

I go through phases with Veganstore, they weren't so good for a while but seem better again now for delivery time, etc.

off topic, but Veganstore just don't seem to have the range of products they used to and personally it's not worth me making an order these days.

cobweb

Yep, I do know what you mean.

Demon

I've found different brands of soya milk behave differently in coffee. The only one which works for me consistently is Sojade - I can't get fresh Alpro to work as some other people have.

For microwaved soya latte, either Sojade or fresh Alpro work fine for me.

Gorilla - I have only recently discovered Chai but so far I've had three different brands and they all taste totally different. I love Clipper Organic Indian Chai but I hated one other so much, I coudn't finish the box (can't remember what it was).

Gazes at Trees

My friend came round for a chat recently, I gave her two cups of tea with soya milk and didn't tell her 'cause if she knew it would have altered her opinion - she may have expected it to taste wierd and it probably would have ! she takes two sweeteners, I should point out , so I reckoned she wouldn't notice too much (I wouldn't have done it if she hadn't taken a sweetener) I asked her when she was leaving the house, "was the tea ok?" "Fine, why?" It had soya milk in it. "oh, did it?" *smiling*, No problem. A guy came round to change our meter and I made him a fresh ground coffee with soya milk and nice sugar, I asked him if it was ok, then told him it was soya while he was still drinking it and he said fine. I think you can get away with it in a sweet coffee, tea can be a bit chalky sometimes. as far as buying in cows milk for guests, I did this at first (only once I think) and wasn't happy about it and of course wasted most of it which is not on, so this is my take now - since I have to carry little pots of soyamilk when I go out so I can have a decent coffee, I don't see the harm in cowmilk drinkers doing the same - I make it clear I don't keep it in - if they don't like soyamilk then they can have their drink black or bring their own milk. I think that's fair enough. I usually have other teas, fruit juice or alcohol in. My husbands' an omni but at home with me he always has soyamik in drinks and takes it to work for his tea. I do wish he'd waken though. He marinated a steak yesterday and
    cooked it indoors 'cause it was raining and he couldn't do the bbq. He was telling me about he has sussed the right amount of chilli to use etc. and so on. I looked at him blankly and said "no, sorry this is completely lost on me" Finding that bbq in our loft was good in some ways, the downside being my husband is now keen to perfect his steak marinades. Thank god we're heading for winter

I always have trouble deciding whether I should put (vegetal) milk in my tea.
    On one hand, I think it kinda spoils both the tea's herbal taste and the milk's ...um.. milky taste.
    On the other hand though, I absolutely adore the way the little clouds of milk twirl and dance around until they finally mix in with the tea. I really I can't get enough of it.
    And as an extremely indecisive (hey, new word learned) person, I always find it difficult to decide one way or the other. Am I the only one who has this sort of problem?