Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Which significant person would you like to become vegan overnight?

Prawnil

Default Re: Which significant person would you like to become vegan overnight?

Quote Panzer View Post
    Adolf Hitler (vegetarian) So I could have stopped the suffering of millions of people in Europe.
    I was very confused for a bit there. Did you read the thread as "Which significant person would you like to become, (vegan) overnight?"

I misread the post , I thought it said which signifigant person would YOU LIKE TO BECOME OVERNIGHT.....IM SORRY , I thought the question was if i could become someone overnight who would it be....I didnt see the BECOME VEGAN part...My mistake....Im such a dork.
    I am the Devil, and I'm here to do the Devils work.

Mahk

Quote Panzer View Post
    Adolf Hitler (vegetarian) So I could have stopped the suffering of millions of people in Europe.
    Except for occasional times of vegetarianism for intestinal upset reasons, Hitler was never a vegetarian. His PR people may have promoted this myth, i.e. he had a healthy lifestyle filled with exercise, clean air, and good food, but the chefs of various Berlin restaurants have all commented that he always ordered squab (pigeon), sausages, schnitzel, etc.

There's an entire book devoted to dispelling this common myth.

Rumors that Hitler was a non-smoker apparently are true, however, so the next time a non-veg*n incorrectly associates vegetarianism with Hitler you can similarly associate their decision not to smoke with Hitler and actually be correct.
    Last edited by Mahk; Oct 7th, 2009 at 08:03 PM.

Prawnil

Quote Panzer View Post
    Im such a dork.
    No! On a vegan forum it makes sense that the word 'vegan' turns quite invisible.

tombenarye1234

Quote Mahk View Post
    Except for occasional times of vegetarianism for intestinal upset reasons, Hitler was never a vegetarian. His PR people may have promoted this myth, i.e. he had a healthy lifestyle filled with exercise, clean air, and good food, but the chefs of various Berlin restaurants have all commented that he always ordered squab (pigeon), sausages, schnitzel, etc.

There's an entire book devoted to dispelling this common myth.

Rumors that Hitler was a non-smoker apparently are true, however, so the next time a non-veg*n incorrectly associates vegetarianism with Hitler you can similarly associate their decision not to smoke with Hitler and actually be correct.
    there's a funny video about that argument on youtube (but it's in hebrew)

[YOUTUBE]cLHKn5JFZw4[/YOUTUBE]

the fat kitty guy: [bla bla bla] hitler was veg too!
    the next guy: you're right, i dont want to be like hitler, that nazi...i'll start to eat meat...hitler also slept. from now on i'll never sleep. hitler didn't smoke...i need to start smoking...hitler also wore clothes. i'm not wearing clothes any more so i won't be like that damn nazi! hitler breathed. from now on i'm stopping to breath. that's it. *hold his breath for several seconds then take out a gun to shoot himself*
    third guy come and stop him from shooting himself
    third guy: no! don't do it! hilter suicided. you wanna be like hitler?!
    Last edited by tombenarye1234; Oct 7th, 2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: broken link

The guy that I have a massive/insane-o crush on. Him going vegan would be kickass; although it wouldn't do my not-so-little crush on him any good! HA!

Kimberlily1983

Richard Dawkins. He's so close! Okay, not really. He gets the ethics of it. However, he gives the pathetic excuse that it's so easy to be a meat-eater, to conform with society, etc. He acknowledges that it's "probably wrong", but he does it anyway. I'd like to see him change his ways. He's such a voice of reason regarding religion, and is very influential; I think if he went vegan that would get more of his fans considering making such a change as well.

Default Re: A veganisating wish!

Quote my3labs View Post
    Oprah Winfrey and/or Ellen Degeneres!

ROFL I just saw this. It was posted five years ago. Ellen is now a vegan and Oprah did it for a month but it didn't work out for her...

You know i really don't understand how Ellen is vegan. She is a spokes person for Cover Girl cosmetics. That always baffles me.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

RubyDuby

Her gf is vegan, so I think she's just vegan-esque*, by association.

*not a word... no offense to vegans intended not sure how else to word it.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

oooo...lol aw well. anything helps i suppose!! but it does bug me when people i'm around say she is vegan, i scream "no she isn't!!!!" yes i overreact.

Kimberlily1983

Unhappy Re: Which significant person would you like to become vegan overnight?

Quote missbettie View Post
    You know i really don't understand how Ellen is vegan. She is a spokes person for Cover Girl cosmetics. That always baffles me.
    Yeah, I don't really get that, either. Perhaps she sees herself as being able to do more good overall by taking advantage of the opportunity - she perhaps donates some of the money she makes from them to animal causes?

If it's something like this, though, I think she could have done a world more good by turning down their offer and bringing that to the media. "Ellen Degeneres says "No thanks!" to CoverGirl on account of cruelty to animals."

I don't know...

Quote missbettie View Post
    She was doing Cover Girl before they were bought out and started testing on animals; she's currently stuck in a contract which she can't get out off.
    I don't think she's going to be renewing it.

Kimberlily1983

Red face Re: Which significant person would you like to become vegan overnight?

Quote BreadmanInAus View Post
    She was doing Cover Girl before they were bought out and started testing on animals; she's currently stuck in a contract which she can't get out off.
    I don't think she's going to be renewing it.
    Oh, that makes sense. I've just looked into it: it seems Ellen went vegan in 2009 according to a web source, and she's been with CoverGirl since at least 2008.

Now how come that possibility didn't occur to us? Thanks for letting us know!

patientia

Richard D. Feinman. Since Atkins is dead, I guess he's the most famous high protein high fat high saturated fat diet advocate.

when did cover girl get bought out? i was under the impression that they have always tested on animals. i've never purchased their products...even before i went vegan...

Ya...P & G has owned Cover Girl since 1989. I don't think Ellen has had her contract since then...

Kimberlily1983

Unhappy Re: Which significant person would you like to become vegan overnight?

Yeah, I'm thinking perhaps Ellen wasn't vegan when she signed up with CoverGirl. I don't know how long she's cared about animal rights, but non-vegan people who call themselves animal activists often don't realize how much exploitation there is, or that they are supporting it themselves. Heck, even vegans get it wrong sometimes!

I want Johnny Depp to go vegan
    Carrot!

RubyDuby

has anyone said Obama?
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

leedsveg

David Cameron.

leedsveg

Talks to crows

I would like the chief shareholders in McDonalds, Yum Foods and other fast food vendors to come to our side! Can you imagine if the "Fast Food Nation" became the "Vegan Nation"?

Quote Catfriend View Post
    I would like the chief shareholders in McDonalds, Yum Foods and other fast food vendors to come to our side!
    Excellent idea Catfriend. It reminded me of that saying, "Anyone who actually wants to be a politician should be automatically disqualified from being one" or that other one, "It's difficult for someone to address a problem when their salary depends upon not seeing it" (or words to that effect).

Funnily enough, I happen to know of a vegetarian who is a trained chef here in Clare; he takes any job (as a chef) he can get...yikes!
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Kimberlily1983 View Post
    Richard Dawkins. He's so close! Okay, not really. He gets the ethics of it. However, he gives the pathetic excuse that it's so easy to be a meat-eater, to conform with society, etc. He acknowledges that it's "probably wrong", but he does it anyway. I'd like to see him change his ways. He's such a voice of reason regarding religion, and is very influential; I think if he went vegan that would get more of his fans considering making such a change as well.
    True. It baffles me to see that a guy who is so committed to his non religious ideals (the dignity of atheism) may be so feeble minded and bland about animal issues, when it´s clear that he knows the ins and outs of them- It´s sort of disappointing, even more so when I admire his clairvoyance in other issues. A real pity

Heston Blumenthal - I want a vegan series of Feasts!
    "Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers."

-
    Last edited by MCMLXXXVI; Jul 18th, 2013 at 03:30 AM.

I agree with a few others. It has to be the pope. He is most likely to directly influence the behaviour of the most people, and therefore save the most animal lives.
    At least then mass religion could do something positive (for a change).
    If a politician (e.g. the British Prime Minister) went vegan, he probably wouldn't tell anyone because it might lose him votes.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

I agree with the commenters above who suggested Richard Dawkins. He's someone I already admire greatly, and I would love for him to have the courage of his convictions and just do what he surely knows is the right thing. Ditto fellow rationalists like PZ Myers, etc.

Bob geldof!!!
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

Quote colleengirl95 View Post
    I want Johnny Depp to go vegan
    That would be awesome... Mmmmm wouldn't help my crush on him tho!

I also, as someone else has said on here would like Paul McCartney to go vegan, it annoys me that he voiceovers PETA videos and yet still eats eggs and dairy products. But a lot of Linda McCartney products are suitable for vegans which is cool!

And selfishly, I would like my SO to go vegan, rather than calling it "your vegan thing". He eats vegan mostly because I won't cook anything else, but I'd love him to believe in it like I do...

Keane

Nigella, but not 'overnight' otherwise she would alienate rather than encourage her admirers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/...s-kitchen.html

Incidentally there are some really bitchy comments on that page!

Barack Obama
    “You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.

-
    Last edited by MCMLXXXVI; Jul 18th, 2013 at 03:31 AM.

-
    Last edited by MCMLXXXVI; Jul 18th, 2013 at 03:31 AM.

Quote MCMLXXXVI View Post
    Regarding Richard Dawkins, here is an excellent discussion between him and Peter Singer. If you can't watch the whole thing just skip to 29:30 and Dawkins explains why he eats meat despite agreeing with all of Singer's moral arguments against eating meat. Two of the world's most brilliant minds in my opinion.

http://richarddawkins.net/videos/395...cut-interviews
    Thanks for posting this, it was really interesting to watch. I have lost a little bit of respect for Richard Dawkins now though! I just think it's a bit pathetic that he agrees with Singer's arguments but then just says that he eats meat because he's at the mercy of societal norms and conformity. That excuse doesn't really stack up as there are many ways in which Dawkins is non-conformist, most notably with his stance on religion. So to say that he just 'can't help' conforming is disingenuous... he chooses to conform to meat-eating, just as he chose not to conform with his religious upbringing.

Plus he says 'A lot of vegetarian food isn't very nice'... what veggie food has he been eating?! Perhaps he should come round my house for dinner, I'd set him straight.
    http://veganofthenorth.wordpress.com/

-
    Last edited by MCMLXXXVI; Jul 18th, 2013 at 03:29 AM.

Yeah I do find it quite interesting - I'm an atheist like Dawkins and I sort of celebrate Christmas too... I say 'sort of' because I don't bother with a tree, etc in my own house and nor would I sing carols either but I do buy presents for people. I don't have any problem with a winter holiday or festival (I guess I see it as Solstice really and there is evidence that this pagan festival was co-opted by Christians but that's a bit off topic!) so the gathering of family, exchanging gifts etc is fine with me, but I do have a problem with the religious element so try to minimise this as much as possible.

I would say though that Christmas and meat-eating are quite different as you could argue that keeping the tradition of Christmas doesn't hurt anyone, whereas meat-eating definitely does. Perhaps he feels emotionally attached to the tradition of meat-eating in some ways, but this is still somewhat hypocritical especially seeing as he is quite keen on getting people to give up religion and people are definitely emotionally attached to that!!

I found it a bit odd that he was encouraging Singer to make vegetarianism more 'normal' because surely part of that process is people giving up meat? In other words, how is Singer supposed to achieve that aim when even people like Dawkins, who accept the moral arguments, choose not to go vegetarian? Does he not realise that this makes him part of the problem?
    http://veganofthenorth.wordpress.com/

I've seen so much celebrity rubbish... that I really don't know wether to believe it or not... but characters like Ozzy Osbourne and Simon Cowell are said to be vegetarian... do I believe it? Do I hell!

As to who I wish to see "converted"... It has to be a powerful figure... the pope or the queen....

I wouldn't want the pope to become vegan because then all of the bad things about him would be associated with us. (Ofcourse, I'd like him to be vegan for the animals sake, but for our cause it would be disastorous.)
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

leedsveg

Quote veganese View Post
    As to who I wish to see "converted"... It has to be a powerful figure... the pope or the queen....
    Could be a bit of confusion when the Pope is heard saying that he's welcomed seitan into his life.

As for the Queen, even if she were ok with veganism, I could just imagine the Duke of Edinburgh, armed with a double-barrelled shotgun, going out to kill some wild rice.

leedsveg

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Could be a bit of confusion when the Pope is heard saying that he's welcomed seitan into his life.

As for the Queen, even if she were ok with veganism, I could just imagine the Duke of Edinburgh, armed with a double-barrelled shotgun, going out to kill some wild rice.

leedsveg
    Awesome!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Ya, cool if the president or a major sports figure.... wait! President Clinton is now 99% vegan and Mike Tyson is reported to be; who on the list next?
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

The Dalai Lamma.

His non vegetarianism, despite his preaching the benefits of it to others, is one of the most common excuses for many buddhist seeing vegetarianism as optional to their practice.

I'm pretty sure that if he started practising, instead of just preaching, that millions of buddhists would quite quickly fall into line.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    The Dalai Lamma.

His non vegetarianism, despite his preaching the benefits of it to others, is one of the most common excuses for many buddhist seeing vegetarianism as optional to their practice.

I'm pretty sure that if he started practising, instead of just preaching, that millions of buddhists would quite quickly fall into line.
    that's interesting about the dalai lama, I stupidly assumed that he is veggie as I thought that was such a part of being Buddhist, but obviously not. It doesn't seem to fit with practising non-harm to sentient beings.

the person I would want to be vegan is George Monbiot who I greatly respect but unfortunately he isn't even veggie, let alone vegan, even though he is a big name in the environmental world and it does seem a bit hypocritical to call yourself an environmentalist, or have strong views about climate change etc and at the same time eat meat and dairy.

x x x

leedsveg

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    The Dalai Lamma.

Hi CS
    Nothing to stop millions of Buddhists from going veggie after thinking things through for themselves. They could then shame His Holiness into falling into line by putting him very much in the minority.

leedsveg

Quote yo-yo View Post
    that's interesting about the dalai lama, I stupidly assumed that he is veggie as I thought that was such a part of being Buddhist, but obviously not. It doesn't seem to fit with practising non-harm to sentient beings.
    'Lo Yo-Yo

All I'm going to say, for the time being, is this: I actualy got warned, on a buddhist forum, that no further posts from me aligning meat eating with a lack of compassion towards those being eaten would be tolerated.

When I have time I may start a topic explaining my understanding of how the significant majority of modern buddhists twist certain teachings of the buddha to justify dodging the salad bar and tucking into their prefered meals of KFC and McDonalds.

That and that on top of not being vegetarian the DL is well documented as having a preference for veal when it is available the menu.

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Hi CS
    Nothing to stop millions of Buddhists from going veggie after thinking things through for themselves. They could then shame His Holiness into falling into line by putting him very much in the minority.

leedsveg
    Hi LV

The second noble truth of buddhism names the root causes of suffering as being 'attachments' and 'desires'. To my understanding this is because attachment to things and desire for thing are obstacles to 'right view'; 'Right View' being, loosely the ability to see the dependant, independant, and co-dependant arising of phenonoma/events/conditions/whatever-u-like-to-call-it.

For a quick insight into how attachment to, and desire for, meat blocks the mind to even the blindingly obvious here's an experiment that anyone can try from the comfort of their own home ...

1. Log on to a buddhist forum ...

2. Start a topic along the lines of "is the breeding and slaughter of animals dependant, independant or co dependant upon the condition of people being willing to pay for the bodies of dead animals to eat .."

3. Sit back and be totaly amazed at te absolute absurdity of the vast majority of the replies ...

Quote pat sommer View Post
    Ya, cool if the president or a major sports figure.... wait! President Clinton is now 99% vegan and Mike Tyson is reported to be; who on the list next?
    What is considered 99% vegan? He's an omnivore......

leedsveg

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    What is considered 99% vegan? He's an omnivore......
    ..a bit like a person being "99% virgin", I think.

lv

As far as public perception goes and statistically speaking, he is on a vegan diet with lapses. He ain't getting an invite to our next vegan get together but, hey, this is big news with the meat and potatoes set.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair