Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Avocado

Default Re: Avocado

Quote FR
    Same here. I found out the hard way that I am allergic to them. I have also found that I have a slight problem with Kiwi. Every time I had Kiwi, I'd get a stomachache but always though, something else was causing it, like soymilk. However, since I dropped Kiwi and still drink a lot of soymilk, I have no stomach problems.
    I keep getting a stomach ache but i cant put my finger on what it is I will have to cut a few things out to find out what it might be

I love Avocado! I used to be one of those people though when my sister ordered Guacamole.. "Eww!" But I tried it and liked it.. I buy the pre-made dip though.. so good!

Be very careful about those pre-made dips, though. Some of them have gelatin or milk derivatives like whey in them.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

The one I got didn't say anything like that in the ingredients of course!

Wow. You're kidding! No milk, no whey, no sodium casinate? *falls over from shock*

Would you mind terribly to posting the brand and ingredients (I've been looking for a good guac dip that doesn't have icky stuff in it).
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

I buy one here in Canada that has absolutely no animal derived ingredients in it either. It's probably more common than you think. There are a lot of smaller brands around that make more authentic guacamole than that Commercial Tex-Mex crap that's full of dairy.

I haven't got any here right now so don't know the name of the brand that I buy. It's carried by the little grocery store that is next to where I work. So next time I get some, I'll let you know.

Also, a restaurant that I frequent make their own guacamole with no dairy - simply avocado, lemon, cilantro and spices.

Did it have any avocados in it? The ones I have seen actually don't even have avacado in them!

Quote Roxy
    I buy one here in Canada that has absolutely no animal derived ingredients in it either. It's probably more common than you think. There are a lot of smaller brands around that make more authentic guacamole than that Commercial Tex-Mex crap that's full of dairy.

I haven't got any here right now so don't know the name of the brand that I buy. It's carried by the little grocery store that is next to where I work. So next time I get some, I'll let you know.

Also, a restaurant that I frequent make their own guacamole with no dairy - simply avocado, lemon, cilantro and spices.
    theres a brand of guacamole here in grocery stores that is vegan aswell. its SOOOOO good. i tend to eat it all in one go and its a whole cup of guac!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Link to an article regarding brands of guac -http://cspinet.net/new/200304251.html

For those of you in the US: Costco has the best avocados ever! They're California grown and are sold not quite ripe. They come in a pack of six for around $6. (I'll admit that I buy two packs at a time)
    Regarding the microwave to ripen them: don't do it. My husband tried it and it was a disaster. A tip: once they become ripe, put them in the fridge and they will keep for several days. Here's some tips for avocados. Recipes, scrubs, etc.
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

Thanks for the tip on Costco. We don't have that where we live, but something simillar - Sam's club. Horrible company (owned by Walmart) and I feel ashamed that I shop there. But they have a lot of bulk veggies (the same bag of avocados you described) bulk portabella mushrooms, spinach, bags of red/yellow/orange bell peppers, plum tomatos, potatos, strawberries and bananas that I stock up on regularly. They also have bulk maple syrup! yum!

sugarmouse

how long do avacados take to go ripe?i usually dnt buy them if theyre nt soft cos if i buy them unriipe they tend to not taste rite when they are? wot am i doin rong?shud i keep them in a certian environment?

To ripen avocado, put them in a bag with a ripe banana. I don't know how long for coz I have never tried it, but apparently it works

sugarmouse

thnaks i will try such!!Lol

yogini

i like avocado, vegemite and tomato on wholegrain bread

You don't want them hard, like a baseball, you want them sorta soft. Somewhat like a relaxed fist. The top shouldn't have too much "give" to it, and it should be a good mix of green and black in the colouring but more black than green (if it's a Haas).

If you pick it up and it feels smooshy, put it back. It's too gone off.

sugarmouse

If you pick it up and it feels smooshy, put it back. It's too gone off.[/QUOTE]

mingin i may be but i love them like that!Lol

sugarmouse

there are two types of avacado arent they?do you eat the green or the hass ones?

ConsciousCuisine

There aree many more varieties than 2. There are Haas, calavo, zutano...many types. I like Hass best as some of the other ones are "watery" and not creamy at all, but as long as it's ripe, I wouldn't turn away *any* avocado!

As far as ripening them quickly goes, make sure you put them is a PAPER bag with a banana if you have one, they will ripen in just a day or a few days depending...check daily.

AVOCADO AVOCADO AVOCADO AVOCADO AVOCADO AVOCADO, it's fun to type AVOCADO!

I love love love love LOVE avocado.

Up until my middle teens I was never a fan, so the advice I give those who don't like it is to start off small. Combine a little bit in a salad and up the portion, eventually you won't live without it.

My FAVOURITE thing to do is chop some tomatoes, basil and avocado...combine it and eat it as it is or mix it into some pasta or a salad.

IT TASTES AMAZING!!

Also, I used to have it with a huge bowl of steamed veggies every night, helps to give it all a kick.

I LOVE avocado! There's a Mexican restaurant on campus called La Bamba (or "Burritos As Big As Your Head") that sells a vegetarian burrito with fresh avocado that is AWESOME (after requesting no cheese of course). Plus, it's open until 2:30 or 3 in the morning, so when I get late night food cravings, I can go there as an alternative to non-vegan friendly IHOP or Steak 'n' Shake!

I've never actually bought an avocado at the grocery store, though. I'm always afraid that it won't be ripe. After reading some tips on this thread, I may have to go out and buy some!

sugarmouse

Quote alekolu
    I've never actually bought an avocado at the grocery store, though. I'm always afraid that it won't be ripe. After reading some tips on this thread, I may have to go out and buy some!
    press ur thumb on thenarrowest end!
    if it gives and maybe if a lil leaks out, its ripe!

My boyfriend says he likes to eat his avocados with a little (soy)milk and sugar. That sounds so weird.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

sugarmouse

Quote Tigerlily
    My boyfriend says he likes to eat his avocados with a little (soy)milk and sugar. That sounds so weird.
    lol yes, it does!!!!!

hav u tried it?!

i didnt realise there was so many types

I want to try it but I'm scared I'd "ruin" my avocado. They are expensive.

I love avacados. Only the the hass avacados though. The Florida avacados suck they are very bland.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

How can I tell the difference?

ConsciousCuisine

Avocado Avocado Avocado Avocado Avocado Avocado, Avocado!

Avocado and chickpea salad is yum.

gdsfaklghjoighefadfghad

I KNEW I had bought three avocados at the store last week, but earlier this week when I went to use them couldn't find them! I bought two yesterday but today when doing my recycling I found them in the back of my trunk. :-( Now I have a squishy green mess and my avocados were wasted.

*cries*
    ~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

oh avocados are like the best things on the planet!! my mom taught me (when i was a young young omni) to love them w/ lemon juice and salt. they're fav on a bagel w/ vegan cream cheese, sprouts and tomato. guacamole is amazing. if they weren't so flipping expensive, i'd eat them all the time. sadly, it's been MONTHS
    "Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel

Why are Avocados so expensive in the USA?
    They are pretty cheap here.

I think I'll go make some guacamole right now. Is avocado really good for you, nutrient-wise?

here they are between 3-5 for a dollar!
    But they aren't organic. Can't get organic ones unless I go to Austin and then they are about 1.50 each!
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

3-5 for a dollar? Sheesh! They're usually between $1.80 and $1.99 each, here in NJ. I love avocdoes and eat them almost every day.

come south

Right now they are .45 cents a piece (as of today...) they were .69 a piece last week. Depends on the shippment and if they are local or not. Local is cheaper and better...
    ~Mel

Geez! In Arizona, just today, I bought 4 for $2.69 at Trader Joe's. Must be nice to shop in Texas.
    If at first you don't succeed, laugh as you set it ablaze!

The non-organic ones were 3 for $2.00 today at the grocery store.

I opted for the organic ones though, and they were .99c each.

sugarmouse

they vary here.from the cheap fruit n veg store theyre 3 for £1, in marks n spencers (expensive)or sainsburys theyre up to £1.50 each

i dont mind paying up to £1 each for them.anythin else is a rip off!

i love themi hope theyll mean i have nice skin when im old!lol

For a large avocado its about £1.29 in Sainsburys...Tres expensive! But small ones are about 79p. They do these packs of three that are cheaper but the packaging is outrageous, I could never buy them as those plastic moulded trays totally upset me. Don't even get me started on supermarket packaging! I LOVE avocados though. They're so good. I have one waiting for me at home. Its so great when you get the perfect avocado, perfectly ripe. YUUUUUUUM!

The hass avacados are small and dark green almost black. The Florida avacados are a light green and are a lot bigger.

Quote Tigerlily
    How can I tell the difference?
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Quote thecatspajamas1
    I think I'll go make some guacamole right now. Is avocado really good for you, nutrient-wise?
    Yes! Low in saturated fat, contains vit C and E, some of the B vits, magnesium and zinc to name but a few!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Avocadoes are now the cheapest that I have seen them. $1 each. Organic are $2. I'll enjoy it while it lasts. New Jersey is one of the most expensive states to live in.

uh, yea, I saw them today - $1.99 EACH
    "Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel

NYC is one of the few places that is more expensive than NJ.

Yeah, even up here in my little old island in the Canadian atlantic has avocadoes for cheap!

89 cents each! (in Canadian dollars)

I finally went out and bought some fresh avocados after reading this thread, and oh my... they were delicious! I got a bag of five avocados for about $4, but one of them was way too ripe so I had to throw it out. But the other four were delicious! I've been eating them plain and in salads all week.

I Love avocados & only truly discovered them this year- i'd eaten them before but not regularily. Still surprised at how many people I know who haven't tried them. I was eating one at work recently and my colleague commented "I don't know how u can eat those they just look so disgusting!" He shoulda looked in the mirror -he's way past full term
    My mum didn't know what one was

I don't really like them. :-/ Or maybe i'm eating them wrong?
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

mmm avacados are a staple of my diet, I like them in a salad, or mashed up on toast with a little salt and black pepper...mmm..mmm
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.