Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Avocado

Default Avocado

Do you like avocado? Avocado is one of the main staples of my diet and I am surprised to learn that there are many veg*ans who don't like it! In my life I have met one hater of avocado. I don't know how anyone could not like it! What are your thoughts?

Default Re: Avocado

How do you know when they're ready?

I bought one and it was really squishy, like goo, and tasted foul.
    Is that normal?

Avocado needs to be somewhat firm, but 'spreadable'. I hate it when it goes brown, or when it is too hard.

I made sushi today with avocado.

The way I make sushi is I get plain cooked rice (much cheaper than the sushi rice) and make it sticky by stirring in tahini. When the rice has bound with the tahini, I spread it on the nori, and add my favourite bits of filling. Slices of avocado work beautifullly! So too does my recent discovery of pickled tofu.

You know a recipe works when your son gets home from school and says "Mum, can we make sushi?"

The version with avocado is full of essential fatty acids and iodine (well, the iodine is in the seaweed.) So it is good for your brain, as well as delicious.

Yes, I adore avocado! Love it, love it, love it.

It is 11 o clock at night, and I am going to eat an avocado. Thanks for making me hungry Banana! As if calling yourself banana wasn't temptation enough...

Mary

Arrow Re: Avocado

I like avocado a lot, too, especially in the form of guacamole. I've been feasting on vegan parfaits too much as of late, though.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

cross barer

Quote Nivvie
    How do you know when they're ready?

I bought one and it was really squishy, like goo, and tasted foul.
    Is that normal?
    Hold it in your hand, and it should be firm. Gently press the top where it was attached to the stalk and it should be soft if ripe. If unripe, avocados are bloody horrible.

Yummy! Love them! I eat them as a sandwich with sliced avacado and sprouts on whole grain bread. I eat them in tortilla soup or as guac. And sometimes just plain.
    We had an exchange student from Germany a year ago and she ate them with lemon, I think?

I LOVE IT!

Avacado sandwiches, guac, tortilla soup! Love it!

I eat avacado everyday...on sandwiches...in salads...YUM!!
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

I love it. Only ever have Avocado or Hummus with my salads, maybe with a little grated soya cheese occasionally.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote my3labs
    Yummy! Love them! I eat them as a sandwich with sliced avacado and sprouts on whole grain bread. I eat them in tortilla soup or as guac. And sometimes just plain.
    We had an exchange student from Germany a year ago and she ate them with lemon, I think?

Well, I am not from Gemany but I too enjoy them with just lemon!

I can't think of a way I *don't* like avocado! Sometimes as a treat, I give my daughter an avocado half with umeboshi, nutritional yeast, lemon and a bit of garlic in the center...it's delicious! (and to think, some children eat POP-TARTS for breakfast!!! )

Avocados taste so decadent. I love them as well.

My parents don't like them, so they never bought them, thus I have never tasted it before.

But I think I want to now!

i love guacamole, and i like fresh avocado but i don't buy them very often because the only ones i can buy locally are usually poor quality and very expensive.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Definately do, tigerlilly. Avocadoes are such wonderful, wonderful things.

Avocados = yummy! I like them best with a bit of lime and some sea salt. I'll eat them by themselves or on/in just about everything. My favorite way to eat them is in a veggie sandwich with smashed up avocado in place of the vegan mayonnaise.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

I like avocado (although not as much as hummous) but I also used to avoid them because of the fat.

Since I have dropped the cheese, I eat them with the best of confidence because I consider them as an "instead" rather than "as well".

LittleTigercub

Try half an avocado with hummous inside and a dinky wee olive on top.

Best of all worlds...

Mary

I could never stand avacados or guacamole.

The texture and the flavor disgusts me.

I'd much rather eat fruits and raw veggies like carrots, celery, and cucumbers.
    "Maybe I'll catch fire, something warm to hold me..."

Quote littleTigercub
    I like avocado (although not as much as hummous) but I also used to avoid them because of the fat.

Since I have dropped the cheese, I eat them with the best of confidence because I consider them as an "instead" rather than "as well".

LittleTigercub
    And don't forget that avocados have the heart healthy fat, not the bad stuff.

.... anything for a healthy heart, right?
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

Avocados are icky - fatty and bland and horrid. I really don't get why my partner loves them so much.

I am eating avocado for breakfast! I chopped it up, stirred in some chinese pickled tofu (which tastes like a very strong cheese, even though it is red from the red rice wine) and sprinkled over some nutritional yeast.

Despite what it sounds like, I am not pregnant! I just love tofu.

Mary

spo

I love avocado too. I eat them almost everyday.
    But, RfMary, where can I get my hands on some Chinese pickled Tofu??
    I've looked in health food stores, and even, a Chinese grocery, so I am lost. It does sound yummy!
    spo

Chinese pickled tofu comes in a clay jar with a lid on it. Look out for one of those - if you can't find any I will find out what it is called in Chinese so you can ask that way.

And yes, it is beautiful. I am going to ask my supplier (moohahaha! The man... well, woman really) if you can pickle your own using chinese red rice wine.

Mary

spo

Thanks, Mary
    I am going back and re-check. If not, maybe the red rice wine would work out. Oh, no, my mouth is watering already!!
    spo

i try to like avocado, but its hard. the creamyness puts me off sometimes. the only way i can eat it is in guacamole (which actually is a bad obsession of mine) and veggie sushi, but only sometimes. sometimes i cant eat veggie sushi because the creamyness makes me gag.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Mashed avocado with lemon juice on top of a slice of bread .. my secondary source of vitamin D after our friendly sun.

PS: I've always heard of guacamole but never got interested in it .. now i'm taking a look at it's recipy and it sounds very tasty. Gonna give it a shot one of these days.

Quote rodrigo
    PS: I've always heard of guacamole but never got interested in it .. now i'm taking a look at it's recipy and it sounds very tasty. Gonna give it a shot one of these days.
    A super easy recipe for guac is this:
    Mash the avacado, add some salsa and garlic salt.

A more complicated (if you can even call it that) is:
    2 large avacado (mashed)
    1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
    1 cup onion (finely chopped)
    1 tbsp lime juice
    1/2 tsp garlic salt
    I always add more garlic salt and cilantro than what the recipe calls for but I like things spicy!
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

Oooo, I read this thread last night and woke up just to eat a ripe LARGE avacado, just with my spoon! I have another one tonight waiting for me, I think I'll dress him up with some garlic powder, corriander, lemon juice and a touch or more of hot sauce, on good grainy bread toasted...Pure heaven!

My new favorite sandwich is toasted whole grain bread with sliced avacado and cucumber.
    Yummy!
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

I like them with balsamic vinegar. I like to eat them with a spoon too

I am not a fan, i like the first spoonful then they make me feel sick

I even love making soup out of it. Next time I will try and remember proportions and post the recipe here. My Dad's idea when he was trying to figure out vegan recipes for me - wow, it is gorgeous. Even my Dad likes it.

sugarmouse

Quote Realfood Mary
    I even love making soup out of it. Next time I will try and remember proportions and post the recipe here. My Dad's idea when he was trying to figure out vegan recipes for me - wow, it is gorgeous. Even my Dad likes it.

wow i never heard of avacado soup whhat are the main ingredients?i love experimenting lol

i love avacado..yes it is good fat and there is some enzyme sorry i dnt know which one, in them which actually helps you lose weight! i spoke with a dietician about them, and he said its ok to have them daily despite the fat.i love them

Kinda makes me gag a bit too, I hate it plain, but I do love guacamole, so I can eat it that way. The soup sounds interesting. My main gripe is that I can never tell when they are ready, and I have wasted a few getting it wrong - and man alive are they an expensive mistake!!!!!

Checked with my Dad. The main ingredients are two ripe avocados, half a pint of vegetable stock, a tub of vegan yoghurt or sour cream. When the veggie stock is cool, put it in the blender and whizz up with cubed avocado, dollop in your vegan yoghurt or sour cream, and add more stock if necessary to get the desired consistency.

You can also add finely chopped scallions, crushed garlic etc. You can even eat this cold, on a sweltering hot day like today. If you are going to heat it up do so very gently, stirring all the time so the cream doesn't seperate. You just want it warmed through, it shouldn't even simmer, let alone boil. It is one of Séamus' favourites. The cold version of course is packed full of omega oils, and the gently heated version isn't far behind.

It is gorgeous!

Geoff

The grandmother in The Braithwaites said:
    'I always get avocados and lesbians muddled up. Well, they both arrived in Barnsley about the same time. 1962, I think it were.'

Talking Re: Avocado

Quote Geoff
    The grandmother in The Braithwaites said:
    'I always get avocados and lesbians muddled up. Well, they both arrived in Barnsley about the same time. 1962, I think it were.'

Hhahahha!

I LOVE avocados. They are kinda a veggie/vegan staple don't you think? In the US at least, any veggie related salad or sandwich or burrito has it on it.

I love them, I eat them on salads, sandwiches, in guacomole, burritos, plain. I don't understand people who don't like them. I used to think they either had never had them, were afraid of the fat, or had some sort of "fake prepackaged guac" Here is the US, there is guacomole "dip" sold that doesn't even have avacados in it! It is like green chemicals I guess....YUCK! That could turn anyone off, as well as any other sort of store bought version - it has to be FRESH!

I asked a friend recently if she wanted some guac and she said, "Is that the green stuff? No, I don't eat that"

I make guac with avocados, chopped tomato and chopped green onion. Throw in some fresh lime juice, cayenne pepper and salt.

The only think I DON'T like about avocados is sometimes I swear they smell like scrambled eggs. Does anyone else get one like this sometimes? that really turns me off!

sugarmouse

i have nt ever nothced that wildflower!!

the only thing i have with avvacodos isthat i sometiems buy them unripe and wait for them to ripen, i can get them really cheap that way. and it annoys me because they dnt ripen properly! they ripen at one end and by the tiime the other end is ripe that end is over ripe and soggy.lol
    iv heard you can put unripe ones in the microwave and theyll be ok to eat is this true?i dnt like the sound of it!lol

It smells like bacon to me. Over cooked, very fatty bacon.

I'm going to try that avocado soup. That sounds so good.

I haven't heard of putting them in the microwave but I would think that would be quite messy. Especially if the avocado exploded.

Bacon??? Really? Thanks for the recipe, RFM, I will definitely try it soon.

I'm going to experiment with further variations this week. It is so hot, I want a good cool soup at the moment.

Mmm. Avocado...

Quote Mister The Cat
    Bacon??? Really?
    Only the reeeeally overripe ones. If they get too mushy, they smell of bacon to me. Kinda taste that way, too.

Default tricolor salad

I remembered I had one avocado left from a bargain haul from the market last week (5 for 50p!), and had a craving for tofu so I made this:

Tricolor Salad

1 ripe avocado, mashed with a fork
    1 tomato, chopped
    some tofu (about 200g, probably), cubed
    balsamic vinegar
    fresh coriander (cilantro)
    black pepper
    salt

I had it on a homemade roll and a cold baked potato and it was wonderful

If I keep eating all these avocados, I shall turn green...

I'd never tried it before but a couple of months ago I got one for my rats, so I thought I'd try a bit.

I only had a tiny bit... and within seconds I was over the sink heaving

So I think it's safe to say I hate it!

I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of avocado. I think it has to do with the consistency the only time I can really tolerate it is usually in vegetable rolls for sushi. I tried putting it in a wrap today but couldn't really warm up to it.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Why Cilla?

FR

Quote puffin
    I am not a fan, i like the first spoonful then they make me feel sick
    Same here. I found out the hard way that I am allergic to them. I have also found that I have a slight problem with Kiwi. Every time I had Kiwi, I'd get a stomachache but always thought something else was causing it, like soymilk. However, since I dropped Kiwi and still drink a lot of soymilk, I have no stomach problems.

As to them smelling of bacon, my partner, who loves them says avacado and crisp sandwiches remind him of bacon (he went vegan straight from being a meateater, so he actually likes things that taste like "meat" to him!).