View Poll Results: What do you do with slugs? (Multiple choice-poll)

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • I remove them

17 39.53%
  • I use the talcum trick

0 0%
  • I use copper

3 6.98%
  • I use sand

1 2.33%
  • I use a mulch made of coffee grounds

0 0%
  • I use salt

2 4.65%
  • I only grow plants they don't eat

0 0%
  • I grow lavender, allium, garlic, wormwood etc. as a barrier/border

1 2.33%
  • Use a few drops of essential oil of cedarwood or pineoil near vulnerable plants

0 0%
  • Seaweed

0 0%
  • Lava Rock

0 0%
  • I avoid watering the garden in the evening

3 6.98%
  • I put mine in the compost heap

1 2.33%
  • I arrange slug festivals

9 20.93%
  • Other

4 9.30%
  • Nothing

15 34.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with slugs?

Default What do you do with slugs?

Hi all,
    I have a slug problem. They are currently eating my cauliflower and cucumber plants. Any humane thoughts as to how to get rid of them?

cross barer

Default Re: Slugs are eating my garden!

I have heard gardeners who grow 'decoys', plants the slugs like that you don't care about to minimise the impact on your vegies.
    Won't help you now though!

Mozbee

There's the old ring of talcum powder trick - it puts them off. Still not ideal but a lot better than those evil pellets shop sell.

Kevster

Pop out around dark and pick them off and put them elsewhere, when it is damp we have some problems here, but when it's dry (like at the moment) the slugs and snails stay in the cool damp places at night.

You can put out pieces of damp cardboard, paper, old pieces of wood or plastic around your plants and the slugs will hide under them during the daytime, when you can turn them over, pick the slugs off (wear rubber gloves to avoid getting your fingers all slimy), put them in a bucket and take them away from your garden.

Or go out with a torch at night and collect all the slugs you find around your plants and take them away in a bucket, as Kevster suggested.

I've also read that slugs are very attracted to piles of wilting comfrey, and you can get rid of lots of them at once by leaving the cut leaves on the ground, then removing them later once lots of slugs have settled underneath, so you can collect and remove them.

Copper tape around plants also deters them, as do ashes, but ashes stop working if they get damp.

I've found that persistently removing the slugs eventually seems to reduce the overall population, but in cool, damp summers they can be a real problem. Personally I use plastic and cardboard mulch sheets and I find the slugs conveniently gather under them so I can collect lots at once with little trouble, and this has been the most effective control method for me.
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

cross barer

You can always take them to school to throw them at girls.
    Oh wait, we're adults now...
    *crashes back to reality*

Kevster

Steady on lad, you don't need to go to school to do that sort of thing.

Anyway that would be slug abuse

cross barer

Mozbee

What about some squelchy rotting veg matter?
    For throwing at blokes that is! (I had to balance things up Adam )

Quote Mozbee
    There's the old ring of talcum powder trick - it puts them off. Still not ideal but a lot better than those evil pellets shop sell.
    Never heard of that one, does it still work after rain?
    Usually I send my slugs on holiday to next doors garden (or is it wilderness)

I'm scared of slugs... don't mind that they're not exactly a threat to me.. I'd just look away and pretend I didn't see them. That really wouldn't help your case though

Mozbee

Quote celtic rose
    Never heard of that one, does it still work after rain?
    Usually I send my slugs on holiday to next doors garden (or is it wilderness)
    Good ole Bill Oddie was saying that the big black slugs don't eat plants anyway, it's just the little brown ones that do.

As for the talc ring you have to keep replenishing it.

Best thing to do is LET THEM BE! Slugs need hugs

I had a slug in the garden last week who was a potential olympic swimmer.
    He sussed out a water source, it was a hot day! So Sid Slug slithered up onto the tray of water that we have out for the birds and plopped in. I thought it was a slug suicide at first . But no Sid simply glided along (floating) to the other side of the tray and got himself out again. I thought he deserved a medal atleast! I gave him an extra fine shower of water from a watering can when he started to look dry again, couldn't resist.

So don't be afraid of slugs, they're very sensitive creatures and they are kinda cute too, go on admit it!

Quote Mozbee

I had a slug in the garden last week who was a potential olympic swimmer.
    He sussed out a water source, it was a hot day! So Sid Slug slithered up onto the tray of water that we have out for the birds and plopped in. I thought it was a slug suicide at first . But no Sid simply glided along (floating) to the other side of the tray and got himself out again. I thought he deserved a medal atleast! I gave him an extra fine shower of water from a watering can when he started to look dry again, couldn't resist.
    Mozbee i cant believe you named a slug sid

Mozbee

Quote puffin
    Maybe I was subconciously linking the name the a certain Kenny Everett character, I used to find very amusing - Sid Snott! (Sounds a bit slimy in a slugy way afterall! )

tails4wagging

Someone suggested putting nearby half a grapefruit and the slugs all congregate under it and then can be removed.

I tend to ignore them and so far not too much damage. I have raised veg, plots made of wood, which I think they cannot get up so easy. To rough for their legs!!

Quote tails4wagging
    Someone suggested putting nearby half a grapefruit and the slugs all congregate under it and then can be removed.

I tend to ignore them and so far not too much damage. I have raised veg, plots made of wood, which I think they cannot get up so easy. To rough for their legs!!
    Thanks tails and everyone else. I've removed them and things seem to be getting a bit better. A few of the plants leaves have been completely destroyed...will they still produce the vegetables?
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

Your plants will probably recuperate now they're no longer under attack, but may have reduced yields. Probably they'll be OK though, because there's still a lot of the summer still to come

Mozbee

Alhough the slugs like grapefruit, I'm not sure it has a good affect on them.

I nipped out to the garden the other night and trod on a slug in bare feet.
    That was truly horrible.

I don't feel the need to hug them like Mozbee suggested , but I have always felt a little sorry for them.
    They're like homeless snails.
    Someone needs to print very small Big Issues for them to sell.

Mozbee

Come on Niv you know I didn't mean take a Sid in your arms and tenderly caress it did you?!!!

I just think us veegies should speak up for slugs, as they are very sensitive creatures who could do with receiving a bit more respect.

Slug info

Love Mozbee & a few garden inhabitants!

Hehe...I did think a slug might be a little too slippery for a hug!

Mozbee

Mind you they'd be great super heroes - imagine a human sized slug! their slime could stop anyone in there tracks, well anyone going at 20cm per hour

Mozbee

Slug resistant plants & other recommendations here

I've used a mulch made of coffee grounds around my plants. The slugs and snails don't like to crawl over the grounds cuz it hurts their tummies. The mulch then adds to the soil.
    Carve a pumpkin, Go to prison! :eek:

They also don't like to crawl over sand (coarse sand is best). If you use the copper is must go down almost six inches into the ground or they will crawl under it - this can get expensive.

I should have said, if they entirely eat the growing point of cauliflowers, the tiny emergent leaves in the very heart of the plant, that WILL stop the plant from being able to grow and produce a cauliflower. But with cucumbers, even if the growing point is broken off, they'll just produce new side shoots

Mozbee

Wink Re: Those lovable slugs!

Now that's a nicer heading!

Quote puffin
    I had a pet slug named Sid too. Sidney, actually. He was cute and stripy. That was before I had my own plants

I believe they don't like gravelly textures - would it work to put gravel around or would they get over that easily?

I prefer the deportation to next door method too.

Mozbee

Default Re: Lovely Slugs!

Quote cherry
    I had a pet slug named Sid too. Sidney, actually. He was cute and stripy. That was before I had my own plants

I believe they don't like gravelly textures - would it work to put gravel around or would they get over that easily?

I prefer the deportation to next door method too.
    I drew a good slug and named it Suzy, she had feminine charm and dare I say some subtle cunning in her telescopic eyes too!

Quote cherry

Oh no not another one

I'd really like to know how much of a homing instincts slugs have...I mean, how far away do you have to take them to make sure they don't come back?

cross barer

Quote kokopelli
    I'd really like to know how much of a homing instincts slugs have...I mean, how far away do you have to take them to make sure they don't come back?

I think if wherever you put them there is food between them and your place you will be safe!

Quote PumpkinGuy
    I've used a mulch made of coffee grounds around my plants. The slugs and snails don't like to crawl over the grounds cuz it hurts their tummies. The mulch then adds to the soil.
    I must have super slugs cos mine crawl up the side of the house over sharp bricks!

Mozbee

Another superhero!
    A fly fell in a bottle red wine, yes RED wine folks (pretty srong stuff too!) anyway after about 5mins, poor tipsy little thing, we finally got it out. And thanks to yesterdays scorching heat it dried out, on my hand then flew off. Hurrah another success story!

Well, here's my "Sid" and twelve of his closest friends. I think I figured out my biggest problem: We bought this biodegradeable plastic mulch to keep the weeds down and the heat in. When I went out to weed on Saturday, i found dozens of Sids' friends under there, just waiting to attack my cauliflower. So, we removed the mulch stuff and since then, have only seen one slug.
    Yippy!
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

Well, that didn't work. Anyway, the pic was of my slug friends in the bucket about to be carried off to greener pastures.
    --Pirke Avot

My mum has many slugs in her garden.

She put lots of cabbage and cucumber out to act as a decoy. Guess what?

They eat all the cabbage and cucumber and then go back to the plants.

They must be thinking it is their lucky day!!
    http://www.healtheeating.co.uk - Vegan and vegetarian food

Mozbee

Monty Don is recommending bran!

Quote Mozbee
    Monty Don is recommending bran!
    I watched that to, we are so old

Mozbee

Ahh but I only flicked the channels and saw it by accident what's your excuse?!

Good news. I'm seeing little cauliflower heads in my plants. Removing the slugs seems to be working for me. I haven't seen any lately.
    Thanks, everyone!
    --Pirke Avot

Quote Mozbee
    Ahh but I only flicked the channels and saw it by accident what's your excuse?!
    Yeh i bet you did, you put in on your sky reminder so you didnt miss your all time fav show, and ummmm yeh i was channel hopping at the time to

Mozbee

Quote puffin
    Yeh i bet you did, you put in on your sky reminder so you didnt miss your all time fav show, and ummmm yeh i was channel hopping at the time to
    Oh you youngsters of 1974! I've not got Sky, I just cope with 4 channels

Well, my cauliflower didn't make it. I did however, just finish eating a fabulous cucumber that I picked fresh from my garden just before dinner.
    I have tomato's, green beans, zucchini, yellow squash and peppers that are doing great also!
    It seems that the slugs are leaving them alone.
    --Pirke Avot

I watered very heavily and found about 4 slugs and other little green worms in my kale this week. As the summer progresses, they keep coming. However, they can't eat everything! We are living in a sort of truce now. I know they are winning and they let me have some vegetables - sometimes I even get a leaf without holes!

Quote Dianecrna
    I watered very heavily and found about 4 slugs and other little green worms in my kale this week. As the summer progresses, they keep coming. However, they can't eat everything! We are living in a sort of truce now. I know they are winning and they let me have some vegetables - sometimes I even get a leaf without holes!
    LOL.
    I never realized that cucumbers and their leaves were so prickly. At least the slugs don't like them.
    --Pirke Avot

Mozbee

Talking of prickles, we've surrounded slug-menu plants with dried out holly leaves and so far so good. Some super-hero "the humans won't stop me" slugs are still going for it, by climbing up the wall and jumping off onto nearby pots of pansies however! They deserve to eat them I think after all that effort.

Quote adam antichrist
    You can always take them to school to throw them at girls.
    Oh wait, we're adults now...
    *crashes back to reality*
    Bad bad bad. Boys who did that made me cry when i was at school.

Um, if you brush your dog/rabbit/self, collect the hairs and lay those down around your veg the slugs don't like the texture and go away...
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Default Re: What do you do with slugs?

Hi,
    I'm adding a poll to this thread... did I forgot some useful advice?