Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Raw Food

PinkFluffyCloud

Well, I am also very interested. I tried a couple of weeks ago, but unfortunately got a bad bug that was going around, and abandoned it as I couldn't cope. I am still keen on the idea, though I don't think I see the point in abstaining from a hot meal now and then if it's what you feel you need. Because I would be doing it for mostly health reasons, unlike my Veganism, which is for moral/ethical reasons, I wouldn't get too stressed about being too 'pure' about it. That's only my opinion, though!

Also, I am thinking I really do have a Gluten problem - Foxytina - I get a strange feeling in my stomach like a burning metal ring inside after eating Gluten, followed by a dull pain and soreness, so I guess I'll have to knock that on the head. That would really only leave me craving hot Soup in the Winter, and also chocolate at PMT times!!

So I am very interested in any posts here, too!

I heard that raw fooders can get addicted to sugar (especially dates - but we all know that ANYONE *ahem can get addicted to rich, gooey dates ). Apparently they can also get a little bit fat dependent and eat too much avocado and stuff. I once saw a website about 'the calorie paradox' or something. It was a guy that was a fruitarian, raw fooder, vegan etc.. and he has a lot to say about it. It is interesting reading for anyone who has an 'alternative' diet, but some people think that he is anti those things. I didn't see it that way though - maybe coz I would never do that. I'll see if I can find the link if you are interested. Let me know.

i actually started eating more raw foods while i was sick, it was making me feel better i dont think anyone should get that stressed about eating a hot meal either. i just know that the more raw food you eat, the less cooked food you want (if u do it slowly that way) and you dont even care for cooked food anymore. especially when u see cooked food as not food at all compared to raw food. u also feel really sick when consuming cooked food if u are fully raw for a long time.

im not even craving anything cooked though which is odd. i thought i would be wanting potatoes and chips and all sorts of things. maybe it was just the right time for me to become a raw foodist.

banana, ive never heard of people becoming addicted to sugar or fat dependent. i know lots of raw foodists who are drawn to fruits more however. especially for breakfasts. i think its a point of really listening to your body and what it needs at that time.

i wonder how my "detox symptoms" will be.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

No I don't care for cooked food these days, partly because it is so hot, and partly because the fruits are great just now. But I'm not completely a raw foodist as I generally spread a spoonful of tahini onto the fruit, and tahini isn't a raw food. I occasionally have a slice of grainy bread, and that isn't raw, but it is tasty spread with ABC (almond, brazil, and cashew nut paste). Also I drink some Vitasoy milk, and that isn't a raw food either. But this doesn't bother me, as being vegan is the most important.

PFC, if you believe yourself to have a gluten problem, you'll be wise to give those products away. Does dark vegan chocolate contain gluten though? I don't think so.
    Eve

tahini does come raw. i cant seem to find it here tho.

I agree with all of you. I try to include as much fruit and raw vegetables as I possible can, but I don't get too stressed out about cooked food. A healthy ('regular') vegan diet is already good enough for me. But I would definetely consider going completely raw if I suffered from some kind of disease, such as cronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

PinkFluffyCloud

HeHe, no Eve, dark Vegan Chocolate would not be 'Raw', but it would be Gluten-free!
    I ate Gluten last night, as a test, and almost immediately got the above symptoms. I still feel like I've been punched in the abdomen today.

pfc, have you been having bowel problems when eating gluten, headaches, joint aches and pains, sometimes nausea, fatigue? these are my symptoms when eating gluten.

PinkFluffyCloud

Foxy - headaches, yes, fatigue, yes, also rapid Heart rate (but not every time I eat it?). I was very aware last night, for the first time, that I also felt hot afterwards, and felt like the blood was rushing to my hands, which were definitely swelling up, and I had the tummy pain and a nasty front-of-head headache within 2 hours. I did feel very tired, but was unable to get to sleep.
    If you are tested for Gluten Intolerance (sorry to go off thread here), do you need to have eaten it shortly before the test? I am quite scared of eating it after the hand-swelling thing last night, it was very unpleasant. I only took plain salad with the Gluten, so I am sure about the cause this time.

i trust mother nature, and feel its right to reach for something created by earth and found in nature. after all, mother nature created humans. things that were meant for us to eat, shouldnt need to be altered in any way to eat them. thats just the way i feel

i swell up too, and instantly retain water (which takes weeks to take off! and its very annoying to feel bloated everywhere!) also, when i eat gluten, i feel like i have a nagging annoying long time flu. its horrible.

yes, doctors suggest eating gluten products daily for a month and than be tested, because if they do a blood test if you havnt been eating gluten, they wont see the damage that would occur if you have been. your body can replenish and cure itself very quickly once gluten is cut out, and you retain normal health again. however, blood tests arent always 100% effective, and it seems to me that you are clearly having an intolerance to gluten. if i were u, i would trust my intuition about it and cut it out. i never got tested, but it runs in my family and i get very sick when eating it, so i have cut it out.

PinkFluffyCloud

Me thinks you may be right!

I tried raw foodism over the summer but I believe I have a weak digestive system and with the amount of exercise I do it just wasnt sustaining me and my stomach was havoc. Now I have a 70% raw diet:

Fruit only in the morning until noon

Salad lunch often with cooked sweet potato

Cooked evening meal - always only steam veg or if i boil it then is pureee the veg in question in the cooking water to avoid nutrient loss as much as possible.

I also avoid gluten.

Yes I get raw salt-free tahini as I want the ealthy fats from the sesame seeds to be inteact! Not destroyed by the heat.

I eat about 50-75% raw although I like the way I feel the more raw I eat, not willing to tamper around with it since I have upcoming figure competitions. I am sure you can be 100% raw and compete in competitions, however not willing to try that at this time, still a lot I need to learn about Raw.

Here are a few good books Conscious Eating ~ Gabriel Cousins
    The Complete Book of Raw Foods
    -There are over 350 recipes in this book.

You can download the ebook Dying to get Well for free.

Quote foxytina_69
    I am now using Marantha organic raw tahini. I bought it at my local health food store, maybe you can ask around for it.

I'm reading an excellent book recommended by the very intelligent, PFC called Blatant Raw Foodist Propanganda! by Joe Alexander. Not a recipe book, more of a historical account of raw foodism. Also contains the Tibetan rejuvanation rites. Really enjoying the book.

Quote foxytina_69
    I get unhulled tahini, but as it is made from seeds, the tahini can't really be called 'raw' surely?
    Eve

Quote eve
    I get unhulled tahini, but as it is made from seeds, the tahini can't really be called 'raw' surely?
    arent seeds raw?????

seeds and nuts are raw, unless they are roasted.

But they have been processed to be made into tahini, that's the point.
    Eve

i posted a thread about waterchesnuts in the food forum but maybe this is a better place considering its a specific question about whether they are raw or not??? This may sound like a dumb question....but are they raw...how are they processed??? Theyre so crunchy I love them

If they are crunchy like that, they 'sound' raw. I am familiar with chestnuts, but haven't come across waterchestnuts. Do you buy them from the vegetable market or are they in tins? Can you not ask the person from whom you bought the goods?
    Eve

if theyre canned, theyre not raw.

i suppose you cant consider tahini raw unless you make it yourself!

I really enjoy raw, it makes me feel better, it's easy, and quick. It's a good lunch for here at work!!

I do want cooked food too, so I'll never become a raw foodist!

PinkFluffyCloud

Right, after only 8 days total on a 99% Raw diet, maybe I am not qualified to judge, but here are my thoughts, based on research/evidence/anecdotes/experience:
    To me, part of the 'pull' of Raw Foodism is eating food which is in it's 'natural', unharmed/unprocessed state. I would like to think I could live a simple, frugal life, living with Nature/Mother Earth, eating only what Nature provides.
    Also, I am attracted by the concept of stepping away from the use of electrical equipment such as fridges, ovens, etc, and not adding to the use of food transportation systems, etc.
    Lastly, I like the sound of the health benefits.

HOWEVER - once I begin using dehydrators, mixer, juicers, etc, I am no longer living naturally on untampered food, without the use of modern gadgets. Also, I don't see the point - if you want something warm/cooked, why not do it, surely it can't be harmful, if balanced with a mainly raw diet????

Has it been proved that dehydrating foods is more 'healthy' than lightly cooking them, or heating them as a Soup, for instance?
    I love fresh fruits just as they come, but I have tried a few recipes for raw 'treats' and found them rich, sweet, and horrible!! I will get bored just eating fruits and veg, though, I know I will.
    We are living in the age of central heating, ovens, kettles, toasters, etc, part of me feels that I have to just accept that I was born in the wrong era. To buy the fruit and veg, and nuts I crave entails them being shipped from around the World - I will soon grow my own, but Climate will limit me.
    My last point is that I don't fill up enough on friut and veg alone - especially when exercising, and end up dizzy and craving chocolate and stodge, which may result in me binge-eating again.

In favour of the Raw diet - my skin is better, I feel more energetic, and 'lighter', and am now more conscious of my body and it's needs. I am coming to the conclusion that a healthy, balanced diet of around 70% raw would be ideal for me. It has been very interesting to learn more about all this.

you will never beable to live a fully natural life eating fully natural things without the use of dehydrators, blenders, etc. unless you choose to. using these products doesnt take away from the naturality of it, it IS 2005 and we do have these products to help us get along. if you feel these things make you not able to live a fully 'natural' life, why use them? you could just eat very simply. which is what is recommended anyhow, because combining foods too much causes too many enzymes to be released, believed to make you unhealthy. mono-eating is the first choice for many raw foodists (the practice of eating only one kind of food for a meal)

you can warm food slightly, finger warm, as long as its not hot.

raw foodists believe that by destroying enzymes in food by cooking (along with valuable nutrients, etc) causes our bodies to have to develop more enzymes to process all these foods, causing unecessary burden therefor causing our bodies to be harmed over the long run.

eating warm cooked food when you want it, isnt going to kill you right away, but i believe cooked food does more harm than good, therefor its hard for me to WANT to put something cooked in me now, because it is dead, and i would prefer live food. i believe it does do harm, because then youre not as healthy as you could be, but many would disagree. but 70% raw food is a hell of a lot better than all cooked food i think!

ofcourse everyone should eat how they feel they need to. not everybody will feel well or do well on a 100% raw food diet, because no body is the same. if you are listening to your body and you feel you are doing the right thing for it, clearly you are.

here are some links that you may find of interest:

http://www.iridis.com/glivar/Raw_food_diet

http://www.wholisticresearch.com/inf...php3?artid=328

http://www.chrysalisyog.homestead.com/rawfood.html

PinkFluffyCloud

Yes, I have looked up so many sites, and, believe me, I am not really knocking the idea, - I just feel, for myself, as we are living in the modern age, we probably have adapted to cooked food, and a lot of my other reasons for being Raw have also gone 'out the window'.
    However, if you feel it's right for you, I say 'good on ya', that's great!
    Learning about it has definitely made me more health conscious, which is fantastic!

Quote foxytina_69
    if theyre canned, theyre not raw. i suppose you cant consider tahini raw unless you make it yourself!
    How does one make tahini?
    Eve

I guess you could buy unhulled raw sesame seeds and grind them into a paste yourself - but to me that is too much effort, so I am quite satisfied with ready-jarred unhulled tahini .

PinkFluffyCloud

Well, Tina, you may be interested to hear this!

Feeling disillusioned yesterday, I went shopping, and bought a few 'crap treats' - e.g, Vegan carob bars, sweets, sausages,etc. I pigged myself (having being so 'good' for several days, a feat for me!!), but none of it actually seemed as good as it used to.

This morning I have awoken feeling achey, very tired, and very low. It must be the food!

Ok, I have to say, I was wrong, you are right! I will still find it hard, though, cooking for others here.

Default Is this Raw Tahini?????

Quote foxytina_69
    http://www.eatraw.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ER075

Check this place out http://www.eatraw.com/

People, tell me whats the use of a raw food diet?
    I don't need no make-up, I've got real scars.

PinkFluffyCloud

The use, Mr.Pearcore, is to eat foods in their natural state, with all nutrients and enzymes in tact, the way that Mother Nature designed them to be eaten!! They are easy to digest in this state, and, as long as they are eaten thoughtfully (i.e - don't mix your fruit with other foods, make sure you get a range of foods, etc), a Raw diet should provide you with a healthy intake of good nutrients.

Also, by eating Raw you are saving on electricity, and also boycotting the processed foods' industries (even better if you grow your own stuff). You are less of a burden to the environment, and hopefully, a much healthier individual, so, all round, less of a burden. However, in my PERSONAL opinion, it would be a negative thing to 'beat yourself up' for eating a hot meal here and there, or using some 'cooked' condiments now and agin. I think, to me, it should be about aiming for a Raw lifestyle, for the sake of my health, wellbeing, and that of the Planet, too!

Quote Banana
    I guess you could buy unhulled raw sesame seeds and grind them into a paste yourself - but to me that is too much effort, so I am quite satisfied with ready-jarred unhulled tahini .
    Me too.
    Eve

PinkFluffyCloud

Foxy, can you tell me what to eat to fill me right up???
    I feel so empty at times, it's hard to sleep at night! I'm even afraid I will eat something non-Vegan like a chocolate bar, at times, because I just get a craving for something satisfying and 'naughty'.
    Do you think I really need to invest in all the meal-making equipment??

PFC, if you are craving something naughty and you want to be raw, I swear by dates - they taste like candy. You could even buy or make date and coconut (or nut) rolls.

PinkFluffyCloud

Oh, Banana, you and your freakin' Dates!
    I tried the dried type - yuck!!!!! Maybe I should try those 'fresh' Medjool ones - is that what you recommend??

really fiber rich fruits fill me up, like apples and pears and heavy fruits like that. things with fat fill u up aswell, such as nuts, guacamole with veggie sticks, etc. if i have a craving for something thats not raw, i will eat it. if u feel that empty, maybe you need to eat some cooked food for a while while transitioning? maybe your body isnt ready to eat 100% raw, and its not used to being filled up with raw foods. i also like to eat thruout the day to keep me full. every 2-3 hours does the trick. the thing is that you never want to become too hungry orelse u will 'cheat'. i realized im going to eat one thing cooked a day to help me transition better, aswell as not detox so fast. as long as you eat mostly raw (75% and up) you will recieve the awesome benefits that raw foodists do. and also, if you eat something raw with something cooked, you stop the process of leucosytosis. (sp?) so then you dont have to feel so bad. i find that dry foods such as crackers and burgers and such, do the trick when im craving things. (i have a great walnut burger recipe if you would like) ive read that alot of raw foodists used dehydrated snacks to keep them satisfied while they transitioned.

you dont need all the little applicances to be raw. you can use your oven to be your dehydrator if u find u need one. (set it on its lowest setting, and leave the door open while you dehydrate things on a cookie sheet.) and you can make juices by simply blending them, like u did with the one you made previously. i really dont find extra appliances necessary.

it seems like u eat alot fruit during the day. why not try mixing it up? lettuce wraps really fill me up. u can use any kind of filling you like and eat them until you are full. homemade sushi is good to just by using dried nori sheets, filled with your favorite things, and rolled up and sliced into rolls. different smoothie combinations are great, different homemade juices. you can add liquid from different fruits to water to flavour it up. if you want soda, buy perrier water, which is naturally sparkling. add some fresh fruit juice to make a soda. you can make many many different icecreams (which is great fun) and all u need to do is proccess it up until smooth. you can have muesilis for breakfasts with fresh almond milk, with dried fruits, fresh fruits, seeds, and nuts. you can make tons of raw pies, candies, chocolates, etc. you can also have pizza, lasagna, pasta, all raw. i can find recipes if youd like for these things. un-cooking is tons of fun. and the food looks so much more lively and bright.

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    The use, Mr.Pearcore, is to eat foods in their natural state, with all nutrients and enzymes in tact, the way that Mother Nature designed them to be eaten!! They are easy to digest in this state, and, as long as they are eaten thoughtfully (i.e - don't mix your fruit with other foods, make sure you get a range of foods, etc), a Raw diet should provide you with a healthy intake of good nutrients.

Also, by eating Raw you are saving on electricity, and also boycotting the processed foods' industries (even better if you grow your own stuff). You are less of a burden to the environment, and hopefully, a much healthier individual, so, all round, less of a burden. However, in my PERSONAL opinion, it would be a negative thing to 'beat yourself up' for eating a hot meal here and there, or using some 'cooked' condiments now and agin. I think, to me, it should be about aiming for a Raw lifestyle, for the sake of my health, wellbeing, and that of the Planet, too!
    I do not see the point in a raw food diet. I am a caring consumer when it comes to foods and everything I buy, I wont buy from big capitalistic corporations run by money hungry fatcats and other 'evil' doers, but I have nothing against cooking vegetables etc. I am vegan purely for animal rights - not my own health.

In saying this, I care not who is a 'raw foodist'. Aslong as it is a non-animal diet, then Im quite happy for the 'raw foodists' of the world to do what they please when it comes to their intake of food.

PinkFluffyCloud

Well, Mr. Pearcore, I agree in a way, I am Vegan for the animals, if it was ever proven that Veganism was bad for me, I would still do it.

However, I am researching ways in which I can become a very healthy Vegan, and I am drawn to a lifestyle that causes least harm. I am experimenting with Raw Foodism, but am not yet totally convinced!!

I was only answering your question - don't bite me head off!!

veganism has nothing to do with raw foodism (unless of course you are a raw vegan) raw foodism is done for health purposes (no other purposes ive seen) i am vegan for the animals too, but i also like to care about my health, and would choose to be as healthy as I personally can be.

a raw food diet is a diet in which u eat no cooked food, because cooking food destroys alot of nutrients and enzymes and such. your body processes raw food much quicker and smoother than it does cooked food, because the enzymes that are intact help your body to process it instead of your body having to create its own enzymes. when you eat cooked food, your body acts as if it was poisoned. white blood cells are produced and they rush to your defence. if u eat raw food, or 50% raw food in each meal, this doesnt happen. this is called leukosytosis.

many people thrive on raw food diets, and feel tons better, but its not for anyone. clearly its not for you and thats fine.

Uh, raw organic plant food, especially locally or garden grown, uses limited or no petrol, doesn't contribute as much to pollution, is nutritionally superior to cooked food (requiring less food to be produced), lowers the likelihood of disease (lowering economic and environmental impact), uses less or no petrol for preparation at home, and the same or less energy to store.

If petroleum use (and energy use in general) is not an ethical issue, and lessening the impact of farming and pesticides is not an ethical issue, then no, there is no ethical motivation for raw food diets. Of course it's quite contradictory to the vegan lifestyle to care about animals in farms, but not the ones in forests, or humans.

Also, anyone here looking at raw food. The current agenda of 'The Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF)' a corporate front for food manufacturers that make poisonous food like products, alcohol, and tobacco, is to create issues with 'vegan health'. In an attempt to minimize the impact vegan lifestyle has on their industry, they're attacking any health claims or studies on vegan diets, including of course raw vegans diets. I encourage people looking in to raw vegan diets to look at their sources on both sides critically because as usual, PR firms have no ethics at all and they regularly use infiltration and outright lies as a tactic.

I have heard that your body only has a set number of enzymes that cannot be replaced, kind of like brain cells. Since live foods contain all the natural enzymes to break itself down your body doesnt have to use its own enzymes. Then on top of that I have heard that when you run out of these enzymes you die. So....eating cooked foods may shorten your life by a number of years. Does anyone know anything about this. Is it true?
    "Can't Fly, Can't Fight, Can't Crow"
    -Rufeo

[the following from a Patenaude newsletter, re raw fats]
    It is a well-known fact that those who eat the standard American diet (SAD) average a whopping 42% of their calories from fat. Surprisingly, I’ve found that vegetarian and vegan diets tend to contain approximately 42% of calories from fat, as well. Vegetarians tend to consume a high amount of dairy, and vegans generally increase their use of oils.

Most unexpectedly, I have found that the average raw fooder eats even more fat than those who live on standard American fare. The oils, nuts, seeds, coconuts, avocados, olives, durians, and other fatty fruit in the overall diet of raw fooders add up to an astonishing 60% of calories (often much more) from fat. Fruit or Fat? will step you through the numbers in detail. For now, I’ll give you just a brief illustration.

A large green salad, including an entire head of romaine lettuce, some tomatoes, and a variety of nonroot vegetables would contain about 100 calories, some 15 of which would come from fat. A dressing that blends three tablespoons of oil (375 calories), an ounce of pine nuts (178 calories), and some cilantro, salt, and lemon juice would supply about 550 calories—about 530 of them from fat. Dice in a small avocado (250 calories—85% fat), and the resulting 900-calorie meal would provide about 90 calories from carbohydrates, about 55 from protein, and more than 755 of its calories from fat—that’s 84% fat!

1984, sorry I don't know the answer to your question, and am wondering whom to search on Google!
    Eve

So basically, raw foodists are straight-edge? Because if one does not eat cooked foods for health reasons, then one would not smoke or drink alcohol etc etc, otherwise that would be contradictive.

The last straight-edge website I went to, they not only avoid those items you mentioned, but avoided tea, coffe, and sex outside of marriage.
    Eve

ofcourse raw vegans avoid smoking, alcohol, and coffee and such. these items are COOKED. PROCESSED. NOT RAW.

PinkFluffyCloud

That is exactly what I have been striving for - after having smoked and drank myself nearly to Death in the past, I realise that the way to be healthy and harmonious is to be clean - no drink, no caffeine, no tobacco, no added sugars.

Also, two points - I feel that impact on the environment/other parts of the eco-system/society is a very important aspect of Raw Foodism - I am just finding it hard to put into practice 100%, but I admire those who do.

Second point, re what Eve quotes - there are, obviously, good and bad fats - an Avocado is hardly the same, health-wise, as a Fry-up.

I conclude that Eve has it about right with her diet, though, by eating mostly raw foods, but having warm drinks, soups, etc aswell - it may not be 'perfect', but it is simple, 'impact' is reduced, and it seems a quite healthy balance to me.

I used to be a Vegan who only cared about the animals - however, my health issues are now catching up with me, and that gives you various dilemas, such as whether or not to take regular medication, (animal tested). I hate the thought that I am then perpetuating the whole animal-abuse cycle, and impacting on the environment. So there's a lot more to it than just avoiding animal products, which is easy in itself, anyway. We need to be strong, healthy Vegans!

i too think eve has a healthy balance. with everything she does! food wise, exercise wise, mentally. her view on life seems so balanced because i became too obsessed with raw foodism, ill use eve as a rolemodel (i wish she posted what she ate in the what did u eat today thread so we could see her daily food intake and use that as an example )

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    Also, two points - I feel that impact on the environment/other parts of the eco-system/society is a very important aspect of Raw Foodism - I am just finding it hard to put into practice 100%, but I admire those who do.
    Your feet must get sore walking long distances then? seeing as you dont drive a car or even take public transport as that is a pollutant.

I still do not see how cooking non-chemically grown vegetables etc, and cooking them in a natural gas cooker, is harming the environment. But of course, if it is purely for health reasons, then I see how it could be an advantage to yourself, but then on the other hand, it could be a disadvantage if you do not get the right nutrients - just like any diet.

How long were you a vegan for, before you started taking meds for it? 'Cause Ive been a vegan for about 5 to 6 years now and I am healthy, normal weight for my height etc, and I dont and have never even taken vitamin tablets.

Ps - and I wasnt jumping down your throat before.

she said it was a very important aspect of raw foodism. where does her driving a car come in?! she never said she didnt drive a car?? not to mention the fact anything about pollution. she was speaking about raw foodism and it helping the environment.

and she never said she took medication FOR being vegan, nor did she say they were vitamin tablets :S ?!