Thread: Vegan-friendly jobs

Default Vegan-friendly jobs

Has anyone got any tips for jobs that are vegan-friendly. This might be a silly question...

Mozbee

Default Re: Vegan-friendly jobs

No not a silly question, well I don't think so! I would love a veeg-friendly job.
    Trouble is food sneaks into so many areas doesn't, yikes!
    Maybe we should send our CVs into Viva! and places like that!

I`d love to work for organisations like Viva or Advocates for Animals, etc. Advocates pay quite well, too, I have once applied (but did not get as far as an interview... :-().

If you can afford to work for a low wage, you may also want to seek out healthfood stores or vegetarian restaurants. I`d enjoy to work in a healthfood store as well, but the money would not do me.

littleTigercub

Personally, I work in a £ shop atm, we sell all sorts, including tinned meat and animal-tested cleaners etc(I sometimes feel my soul is for sale as I put a poor tinned animal on the shelves), but also cruelty free cosmetics, vegan food. The company I work for, like most, supplies for demand, if customers only want vegan stuff, thats what'll get ordered! So I don't think it's that bad to work for a company like that... yet I'd never work in McDonalds or a butchers,where they directly profit from cruelty, because that would be unethical and un-veganly.
    I'm looking elsewhere atm for a better job, partly because I'd like to work for a more ethical company. But, obviously, bills to pay, can't just walk out 'til I actually find something!
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

spo

Hi, berta
    One of the things AR groups always need are (gulp) Lawyers. They could use people versed in international law.
    I am a member of PETA's Vanguard; and they have told me that lawyers and undercover investigators are what they can always use.

I just wish I did not have a Nursing License and the lack of strength, otherwise I would do the undercover thing.
    spo

Mozbee

I bet you spot a few dodgy new 'potions' in your line of work tho Spo!

spo

Yep, Moz,

spo

cross barer

We need hackers! I'm certain AR activists could change the world one corporate website at a time.

If only I had the patience, I can't even be arsed to learn HTML!

Mozbee

What is HTML?

Quote adam antichrist
    We need hackers! I'm certain AR activists could change the world one corporate website at a time.

I was thinking that exact same thing today while driving past Huntingdon Life Sciences - it's on my way to work, so have to pass it every day.

Hackers could come in very handy.

I saw a job posting at PETA several months ago that I would have loved. Unfortunately, moving to Norfolk requires selling a house that I bought just 2 years ago. Wouldn't be wonderful to have meaningful work.

Quote adam antichrist
    I still learning to be a hacker Or better a cracker

HTML is very easy to learn. In hour you can have the basic, but else you can use an editor without learning the code

About a vegan friendly job. I started three years ago when I was 18 a webdesign company. I did some work. Now I also started with a hosting (i host only animal friendly websites ) part of the company. It is called SolarHosting It used green energy, but I want to have 100% solar power, but that will come in the future. I hope I can earn my living with it.

Also I got a job at a political party 'party for the animals'. A political party which stands up for the animals. I am working on the website. I got a contract for 8 hours a week.

I like to work for good companies. It feels so good. I think the money is not important for me.

Mozbee

Sounds vegantastic oooh it should suit you sir, suit you!

I found this website: ethical-jobs.co.uk

there might also be some at charityjob.co.uk
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Quote Elahiya View Post
    there might also be some at charityjob.co.uk
    I would be VERY wary of taking on any job in a 'charity' unless it was with an animal rights specific charity. Most charities these days are nothing more than insidious capitalist corporations, whose objectives are dreaming up more and more new campaigns to try to gouge more and more money from the public. I may sound bitter but here in Oz I have to endure the constant bombardment of cancer research charities who continuously espouse their 'research' fallacies, and hijack everything from the colour pink to daffodils in their attempts to monopolise public donations. They try to make donors feel good by quoting cancer rates and saying 'help us find a cure', while all the while the money people naively donate is being used to pay the salaries of highly paid CEO fatcats, and to pay vivisectors to torture animals. This type of research is not only unethical and evil, it actually has the opposite effect of what they claim, and retards any real progress. And all the while these corporations direct donations away from ethical charities that actually fund assistance and care for cancer sufferers. The whole charity situation is another sad example of how something that started out innocent and well intentioned has been seen as an easy mark for the unscrupulous, and been turned into something very different from what was originally intended. I for one do not believe that these 'charities' are oblivious to the truth about vivisection, and instead willfully go down this path. Any charity that mentions 'cancer research' is not only not vegan friendly, it is in fact one of veganism's greatest enemies, vivisection.

that why i said "there might be some". you can enter specific words in your search for a job or look up specific organizations.
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Even if some charities aren't involved with animal testing, aren't they pointless? E.g: find a cure for cancer, but a cure may weaken the body then the body obtains other diseases. If people are that bothered about their health, they will stop smoking, etc. Several people have stopped me on the street for charities. I guess several times I have said that I'd prefer to support animal charitys. Maybe next time a person promoting BHF stops me I'll say about the animal tesing. You never know a lot of people working may not realise. I could mention britishheartlessfoundation.com to them :P

journey

For vegan friendly jobs, you could look for jobs in animal rights organizations and the likes. But when I read the first post, what I was thinking was for the rest of us, what makes our mundane jobs vegan friendly or unfriendly. I think there's issues in any job that you might want to think about.

Of course food issues come up in many jobs, whether you're selling it, serving it, or just dealing with coworkers in the lunchroom or company picnic. But I was also thinking about other issues, like does your workplace get rid of its mouse problems in a humane manner (live traps, relocating, blocking up the mouseholes) or not (snap traps).

Does your workplace use cruelty free products (like the dishliquid in the lunchroom, the laundry detergent and cleaning supplies, etc) - my place is now using some of those, but only because I aggressively volunteered to go pick them up when we ran out. The problem is, it's just me, it isn't company policy to buy cruelty free, so when I eventually move on or get assigned other duties and someone else picks up these products, we'll go right back to using animal products.

I think these kinds of issues are also part of vegan friendly work, and can be part of every job, even beyond positions directly in animal rights organizations and such (although it would be nice to be able to focus on such things all the time, in presumably an environmnet where you were not the only one with these beliefs)