Thread: Good Source of b12?

Default Good Source of b12?

I know it is never recommended that you drink energy drinks because of the rather unnatural ammount of sugar in them. However, I have just read the information on the back of 'Kick' (Tesco's answer to 'Red Bull') and it claims to contain 125% RDA B2 and 300% RDA B12 per 100ml serving. I can't help but wonder about B12 analogues and the like, but maybe a small amount of this stuff in the morning could be good to add to a Vegan diet?

tails4wagging

Default Re: Good Source of b12?

A ah, wait for it Glen. Korn will be now overblowing your brain with info on B12!!!!

spo

Quote tails4wagging
    A ah, wait for it Glen. Korn will be now overblowing your brain with info on B12!!!!

Meant in the nicest way, of course.
    spo

Surprise: I won't!

It's better to take B12 and other vitamins without sugar.
    Since B12 fortified is known to contain B12 analogues, I expect that B12 fortified drinks may contain them as well; this may or may not be a problem.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Thank you very much. I have read most of the stuff in the B12 forum and I do get (to some extent) the concept of analogues. The thing is, don't suppliments contain 20-90% analogues? According to the packet, just over 30ml a day can provide 100% of our B12 a day. Surely the sugar in such a tiny dose can't be too bad?

cross barer

How big is the can? If 100mL is 3x the daily allowance, and it's probably bigger than 100mL... too much vitamins have negative effects, particularly if you also get it in natural (vegetable) sources through your regular diet.

Its a 1 litre bottle and 100ml contains 300% RDA of B12. I was mainly thinking about taking it like a supplement lol, drinking around 30ml a day. I wondered if having the sugar in such a small amount would make that much difference to the B12 absorption.

Quote Glen
    The thing is, don't suppliments contain 20-90% analogues?
    Multivitamin supplements may contain B12 analogues, according to several sources. Meat-eaters who eat a standard lunch also consume B12 analogues. Fortified food also contains analogues, and plants do.

I'm not saying you shouldn't consume anything that contain B12 analogues, I'm just trying to bring a little extra focus to info that some other books and sites about plant based nutrition often ignore.

The big question is how bad/good these analogues are for you. If they are not as bad as some sources want them to be, wouldn't it be fair to assume that the B12 analogues found in (some) plants can be beneficial too?

If I were you, I'd take a B12/MMA/homocysteine test, drink that drink for three months, then take a new test and post the results here.
    Last edited by Korn; Sep 20th, 2010 at 12:39 PM.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.