SilencesEverything Posted: Jan 4 2004, 06:10 AM

Any vegans from Maryland on the site?

Default i'm in NoVA ...

... inside the beltway, nearish to 66 / Arlington / Falls Church

where are you?

-elthia

Zool

Default Re: Searching For Friends Nearby

I'm in coastal VA. Not too far away I suppose.

Anyone in Houston or surrounding area?

I'm a moldy Oregonian (get it? rains alot here = mold? hehe ok i'm odd) ...not too many west coasters here I've noticed.
    "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"
    Irina Dunn :D
    "We are not human-beings, we are human-becomings"
    Roger Ames :D

I'm a bit further up the coast than you, happiness and I'm working on my rust for the summer (since we don't tan, we rust here).
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

I'm even further up the coast in B.C. It rains a lot here too, but not as much as in Oregon, I hear.

It rains more then our fair share here but I kinda like it. This winter has been odd though, not alot of rain...some worries for droughts in the summer. Good to see some fellow west coasters. I got my first sunburn (i mean rusting) two days ago and turns out that the tag on my tank-top was up for a couple hours in the day so i have this awsome white tag line in the center of my back....looks GREAT!
    "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"
    Irina Dunn :D
    "We are not human-beings, we are human-becomings"
    Roger Ames :D

I live in Jacksonville Florida.

Seaside

Posted by Happiness:
    It rains more then our fair share here but I kinda like it. This winter has been odd though, not alot of rain...some worries for droughts in the summer. Good to see some fellow west coasters. I got my first sunburn (i mean rusting) two days ago and turns out that the tag on my tank-top was up for a couple hours in the day so i have this awsome white tag line in the center of my back....looks GREAT!
    Hehe! I can't stand leaving those tags on, they itch too much. I always take them out. I knew someone who always went around stuffing the tags back under the shirts of even perfect strangers! It was a pet peeve of hers.

I think we must be getting all your rain here in the Bay Area. I don't like thunderstorms in May!

Any From Ontario? Toronto Ish

Talking Re: Searching For Friends Nearby

I'am from Toronto, just joined the group here!

Quote Ivy
    I'am from Toronto, just joined the group here!
    Hi Ivy! Welcome! Glad you've joined us.
    Have you been vegan long?

I'am not quite a vegan, but will be eventually ....

I'am eating about 70% raw, and had the most ridiculous argument again with my doctor, I just HATE those people. They know how the body works, and even if they know what your saying they don't believe anything about what the body really requires because all they do is point out death illnesses and push drugs.
    She has a family member who's a Naturopath and still only sees what she's been trained!

I can't wait to go to Chinatown tomorrow, I'am a bit queesy about Chinatown food but the green grapes are good, one huge carton is $1.78 that would be $7.00 at the store, and I'am buying two - for frozen grapes!

How about meecheegan?

I don't know what meecheegan is ???

Michigan, rather.

Well, not Michigan, but close. Wisconsin. Not a very veg friendly place, I must say.

I live with the two oldies who seem to claim organic food is horrible, and eat meat and potatoes and breads and chips, cakes, etc....

They don't particularly seem to have the knowledge that processed and GM foods and the North American diet aren't real foods.

With a huge garden, they don't like me having any area for chives or basil, or thyme, etc, but give me little pots to grow em in.

And it's 80 degrees out today but it's not humid or hot and it's chilly and windy and it's far more colder in the house because the air is on full blast, because the temperature says it's 80 degrees.

Lovely nitwits I live with eh??

Are these your parents?

Your guess is correct, the sheepbrains!!

I guess they're a bit old fashioned then My mother-in-law is like that. No clue!

Quote smvillers
    Well, not Michigan, but close. Wisconsin. Not a very veg friendly place, I must say.
    Not here, either. If you live in the city, you can get by grand, but michigan is mostly rural. blah.

My Aunt lives in Kenosha. Groovy.

I live in Kenosha, too. Actually Pleasant Prairie, which is kind of a suburb of Kenosha.

Talking Re: Searching For Friends Nearby

Quote smvillers
    hey SMVILLERS!

im from the big wi too!

i think this place is good on a scale of vegan friendlyness i give it a 6.
    you just have to look hard!

but then im in the city.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Yeah, I think living in Milwaukee or Madison would make things easier. I'm not so sure about the rest of Wisconsin. The people (at least in my area) are pretty open-minded and accepting, but the selection of restaurants sucks and the veg*n community is pretty much non-existant.

Quote Happiness
    I'm a moldy Oregonian (get it? rains alot here = mold? hehe ok i'm odd) ...not too many west coasters here I've noticed.
    Seattle, WA. I guess that makes me a moldy Washingtonian
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

Pilaf

So.... no Tennessee vegans here? I know there's an entire sanctuary somewhere in Tennessee for vegans. I guess I'm the only one on this message board.

Quote smvillers
    I live in Kenosha, too. Actually Pleasant Prairie, which is kind of a suburb of Kenosha.
    Wow - do you ever go to Woodman's? They have a HUGE selection of vegan foods and even organic produce and they are the cheapest grocery store on the planet.

Also, they have tons of ethnic foods (british/indian/mexican). I guess british isn't really ethnic...you know what I mean!

I love that place, when I lived over the border in IL we would drive up there (open 24hours and cheap is good for college students) now I reside in Milwaukee and drive down a lot.

Cheap vegan food gets me off, what can I say?

Quote jjdaiquiri
    hey SMVILLERS!

im from the big wi too!

i think this place is good on a scale of vegan friendlyness i give it a 6.
    you just have to look hard!

but then im in the city.
    I live in Milwaukee too, moved here almost 5 years ago from Chicago area.

It is not soooo bad here for vegans, where as the people and culture (at least at the places i have worked and the people i have met) is on the "old school" and close minded side - there have to be a lot of open minded people I just haven't met, as there is no shortage of vegan food brands stocked at the HFS as far as I can see. A lot of groceries carry some vegan things as well. Woodman's in Pleasant Praire is a favorite of mine. You are right, you just have to know where to look. Not that I need to be stocking up on vegan cheetos (Tings!) and other vegan specific foods. A normal grocery carries all the vegan foods I need - they are called fruits, veggies and grains! But you know, it's fun to have tofurky and go out for vegan biscuits and gravy now and then!

I know a few others on the board are from the area as well.

I think it's really cool that Vegan Essentials is located here - has anyone been there? They are primarily online but opened a small store last year to the public (or maybe it is just off the warehouse). I plan to go to the store this week since I am on vacation and they are only open during the day.

Also, has anyone been to East Side Ovens? They are a vegan bakery located down in Bayview I believe...their goods are sold at Beans and Barley, Outpost and lots of coffee shops/resturaunts in the area. They are very yummy! I stock up on cakes and cupcakes like mad when I am at B&B and I see them on the day old discount rack! Rumour is that the shop is only open to public on Saturday mornings...some day I will make it there!

Any tips for places you go?

Quote Pilaf
    So.... no Tennessee vegans here? I know there's an entire sanctuary somewhere in Tennessee for vegans. I guess I'm the only one on this message board.
    I was just on a site yesterday that had a link to that place! It was a commune, but you could stay there as well - it was called The Farm I believe? It looked awesome!