Thread: tescos (etc)

Default tescos (etc)

where i live, practically speaking, i can only shop at tescos. but i don't like it. i feel guilty for shopping there but i know i have to or i will starve. it angers me that that is the only option for me (unless i start growing my own vegetables etc but realistically i am not sure that would work out). i have a club card but i disgarded it somewhere because i said i wouldn't need it because i am not shopping there anymore (said this to myself), but i keep going there, so i may as well be getting the points but i can't because i got rid of the card . so, hm, not really sure of the point of this thread but maybe some thoughts or suggestions or.. whatever, i don't know
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

Default Re: tescos (etc)

Why is Tesco the only shop you can buy from? I find this hard to believe. And even if everything else is so far away, if you really, really feel strongly about it, why not shop online?

littleTigercub

I always used to shop at Asda, but they really don't cater for vegans and have no organic veg (in our store). Now I shop at Tesco. I tend to shop online when I have to stock up on lots of things - vegan friendly washing up liquid and washing powder etc.
    I wouldn't feel too bad about going to Tesco. I know it's not ideal, but they do do quite a few vegan lines and I tend to think that the more we shop in these kinds of places, the more veganism will be become 'normal' and they will increase their product range if they know that there is a market for it. It also helps because it shows omnis that there are products available and that it is not a hard thing to do.
    You can only do what is practical for you and try your best

Quote littleTigercub
    Why is Tesco the only shop you can buy from? I find this hard to believe. And even if everything else is so far away, if you really, really feel strongly about it, why not shop online?

littleTigercub
    do you think i would lie? there is no kind of 'alternative' supermarket in my town and just one health food shop (lentils, nuts, vitmain supplements). there are a couple of grocery stores but they don't have organic or fairtrade and they aren't independant either (hackers). i don't have a car and my house is not right near abus stop or anything. no way i can carry all those bags. so i go to tescos when the people i live with do their weekly shop so i can have the car. as of recent, i have just been buying stuff as and when i need it, rather than a big shop, at 'good' shops, but it is becoming a bit difficult to do it that way- ie inconvenient, inpractical, thus i keep finding myself hungry with no food. shopping online i used to do (but from tescos) but it is more expensive because you have to pay to get food delivered. i would be interested in doing one of those organic vegetable box dealies, if anyone as a good one to recommend (?).
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

tails4wagging

I think none of the supermarkets are ethically or vegan sound!.
    But at the end of the day, we all have to shop somewhere. My nearest is Asda (walmart) so am not too happy with that, next nearest is Sainsburys (Lord Sainsbury is science minister who applauds vivisection!!). Yet ironically Sainsburys sell household cleaning agents suitable for vegans!!!.

tails4wagging

Bulletproof. Have you tried buying on line with Waitrose?. They do have some vegan stuff as well.

do they deliver to weston? the nearest waitrose is in bath :|

Have you tried Goodness Direct online? I know that you are reluctant because you have to pay for delivery, but they literally do everything vegan that you could want, including cleaners etc. I bought some stuff off there the other week and it was really good service, arrived quickly and the food was great.

Of course, I do not think that you would lie. Sorry if I sounded a bit confronting (I realise this retrospectively) but what I wanted to say is that there are always options.

First of all, I would enquire into organic box schemes. They are not cheap but deliver premium quality, organic stuff right to your door. That`s your fruit and veg taken care of, then you say you have got the health store and maybe you can buy other things online.

Personally, I am getting an organic box every 2 weeks, I make my own bread, and we buy everything else in supermarkets (doesn`t feel great as I am aware of the issues, but then again, we are normal people on a budget and we will buy what we can afford) and the more "special" items in the health food store where I visit about once every week or every two weeks.

sorry once again!
    littleTigercub

Of course, I do not think that you would lie. Sorry if I sounded a bit confronting (I realise this retrospectively) but what I wanted to say is that there are always options.

First of all, I would enquire into organic box schemes. They are not cheap but deliver premium quality, organic stuff right to your door. That`s your fruit and veg taken care of, then you say you have got the health store and maybe you can buy other things online.

Personally, I am getting an organic box every 2 weeks, I make my own bread, and we buy everything else in supermarkets (doesn`t feel great as I am aware of the issues, but then again, we are normal people on a budget and we will buy what we can afford) and the more "special" items in the health food store where I visit about once every week or every two weeks.

sorry once again!
    littleTigercub

I shop in Tesco too, but I try to cut down on what I buy there as much as possible. I agree with what Kumem said, that they will increase their vegan range when there's a market for it. It's gratifying to see the soya milk taking over space from the cow's milk. There's also the argument that shopping with Tesco takes away trade from smaller local vegan-friendly health shops, but it sounds like you haven't got one where you are anyway.

My partner and I used to run a wholefood buying co-op where we used to live, and if you know lots of people in the same situation as you, it's well worth doing, because it's fun and saves lots of money...food from wholesalers is usually 30% cheaper than from retail outlets, but you have to buy in bulk. In Bristol, you have Essential, a wholefood wholesaler which you could probably do business with if you set up a co-op with like-minded local people. Or maybe there's already a co-op in your area. It does take organisation and planning, though. And even though growing all your own food would be very difficult, it's still worth trying to grow as much as you can...it gets easier with practice, and nothing beats home-grown produce for taste, nutrition and satisfaction

I also feel crap about shopping at Tesco now, particularly because they're such big butchers. It's weird, because I would never shop in one of those small butcher's shops that also sell groceries and fruit and veg, but I manage to overcome this qualm in the case of supermarkets. Last time I was in our local Tesco, one of the shelf-stackers shouted to another: 'There's something stinking out the back, I think it's a load of chickens, you'd better sort it out.'
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote bulletproof
    unless i start growing my own vegetables etc but realistically i am not sure that would work out
    bulletproof, remember:

Every Little Helps
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I'm horribly disloyal to supermarkets, but do use Tesco a lot, as well as Asda, who do dairy free parmesan and stuff.

One thing I applaud tesco for is the obviously labelling of their cleaning products as not tested on animals. So many people I know have no idea that these products are tested on animals at all.
    People say things like 'But we know bleach and cooker cleaner are harmful!'
    Yes, we do, but still, it's tested.

It's easy to tell people to buy Tesco's own make of these things, being as they are easy to find and non-expensive.

I buy Ecover when I can, but that stuff isn't cheap.

I am fortunate to live within cycling distance of many independant/organic/wholefood shops so I feel extremely irresponsible buying anything from a supermarket. It may be more expensive but I am careful not to go OTT with the pricier stuff. I've never bought a bottle of avocado oil for instance or a tub of organic glace cherries No way can I do that on £5 an hour! I try to stick to just fruit & veg and I'm pretty restrained with everything else.
    Obviously if you can't buy basic food from an independent store, you sadly have to use the supermarkets. I live in a village which has two small supermarkets on it's highstreet. Fast food places are all over the place and off licenses scream "CHEAP BOOZE!" If you want to put some money back into the community there's only one or two places left where you can do it, and who knows how much longer they'll continue to exist. I hate it that supermarkets always claim to offer endless choice. What kind of choice do people have if it's a flip between using their stores or going hungry?

Mozbee

Nivvie you mentioned Ecover, I'm lucky I live where 'Bio D' is from. They do a whole range of cleaning gear (for loos, clothes, plates etc!)

Wow take a look at Tesco's company profile on corporatewatch.org
    Fascinating stuff!!

'Our market share of UK retailing is 12.5% - that leaves 87.5% to go after'
    Terry Leahy, Tesco Chief Executive, quoted in Management Today

Doesn't that say it all?

Mozbee

Great an eighth of all shopping is done at Tescos (where's the blow a raspberry to them in disgust icon!)

Its kind of difficult knowing where to shop.

we do have an "out of this world" who bang on about the planet and all the right stuff - but the sell organic meat which really annoys many of the vegans in Newcastle.

The local tesco has a good vegan range but I dont like shopping there either and asda arnt much better

the co op sell lots of stuff labeled vegan but they are a bit misguided as the lemonade is vegan but contains sweeteners which are not vegan.

possibly all the vegans in the UK should buy a few shares each in tesco and then we would have the power to make some changes

otherwise some clever person could open a cooperative of sometype and we could all help and promote it.

the big stores will sell only what ppl want but not enough veggie n vegan ppl seem willing to nag these stores to sell what they need.

Gibby

It's difficult to know which supermarkets to shop in. There is the factor of whether vegan food is made available, and the labelling policy of the store. But, there's also the factor of how the chains treat their suppliers. I've heard that Waitrose is better in this respect, but haven't properly looked into this.

In the end I usually buy some stuff from most major supermarket chains, buying particular products from each one. But I walk past Tescos on the way home from work, and hence end up going there for small stuff most frequently.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Kevster

Quote gibby
    Its kind of difficult knowing where to shop.

we do have an "out of this world" who bang on about the planet and all the right stuff - but the sell organic meat which really annoys many of the vegans in Newcastle.

Gibby
    yeah there is one in Leeds too, i am sure it says something about animal rights and environmentalism on the window, can't quite remember, fortunately there is Beanos, a vegetarian wholefood shop in Leeds,

Supermarkets - I favour Sainsbury's slightly over Tesco because they label some products vegan, but don't tend to shop at either much - if I'm going for a chain I much prefer the Co-op because they label *all* of their own brand food products, their wine and their household cleaners, personal hygiene products and toiletries. They also have a stated aim of reducing pesticide use on their conventionally grown produce, and they do really good value fair trade coffee.

I also try to do most of my shopping a bit at a time from independent retailers. If there was an organic box scheme that delivered to my door I would definitely go for that, but they only seem to drop off at pick up points round here, and I don't drive, so I haven't signed up for one yet.

Sainsbury's is insanely expensive for soy milk, even their own brand is a pound a carton, and I'm pretty sure it's not even a whole litre, looks more like 750ml, I could be wrong though.

I'd like to shop at Co-Op more, but their stores seem to be smaller and not carry the variety of goodies that I'm used to. Plus there was that exposure by Viva! of the disgusting conditions their ducks were living in. I don't think (and maybe I'm stating the obvious) that any major UK supermarket has a clean animal welfare history.

Nivvie- I'm sorry, I dont know if you're Vegan or Veggie, but did you know Ecover products have milk in them??

Quote inkpen
    Nivvie- I'm sorry, I dont know if you're Vegan or Veggie, but did you know Ecover products have milk in them??
    I think that they have changed their range and the newer products don't.
    I bought my first lot from Goodness Direct and they were in the vegan section.

Liz

Kevster

With Ecover some products are vegan and some aren't fortunately the ones which are have the vegan sunflower symbol. Many people think Ecover = vegan, unfortunately it's not the case.

I noticed not all of the products are approved by the Vegan Society, but I mainly buy the washing powders, that are approved.

Tescos are starting to label products as suitable for vegans.
    They've finally noticed vegans are consumers and they want our money.

Organic fruit n veg delivered to your door

they have branches around the country - not sure on the areas and the stuff is much better than the supermarket stuff with no taste and no nutrition

http://www.farmaround.co.uk/

Gibby