Thread: vegan ricotta

Default vegan ricotta

does it exist? I haven't been able to find it in any of the stores here. Just wondering if it even exists.

spo

Default Re: vegan ricotta

Hi, Franny
    You can make vegan ricotta from extra firm tofu. You drain the water, but not too totally dry. Then you add a little olive oil, garlic, dried parsley, oregano and basil. Then mix well to the consistency you need. To really give it an authentic taste, you can add some vegan Parmezano, if you can get some. It is not always easy to find.

I have used this in vegan lasagna and it worked very well. I topped the vegan lasagna with Vegan Gourmet Mozzarella. It came out pretty good, too.

I hope that helps
    spo

Thank you. Lasagna is what I wanted to make. There is a certain vegan guy in my life that is like Garfield when it comes to lasanga. I've been trying to figure out how to replicate a vegan version. That sounds good.

spo

LOL
    spo

There's a great recipe in the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak. Similar to what Chef Spo posted but you simmer the tofu in water for 5 minutes first, let it cool, then add all those spices/seasonings. Little lemon juice as well. You can also make vegan cottage cheese by simmering the tofu for the 5 minutes, letting cool, then adding vegannaise, onion powder and salt. It's phenomenal.

That's a cookbook that I need to get. I'm just starting learn all of things you can do with tofu. It took me awhile to move past just stir frying it. Thanks.

spo

Franny, feline's recipe sounds better than the way I was doing it. I don't know what my excuse is -- I have that cookbook!!
    spo

Quote Franny
    That's a cookbook that I need to get. I'm just starting learn all of things you can do with tofu. It took me awhile to move past just stir frying it. Thanks.
    The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook is great!! I highly recommend it. The Incredible Almond Cheeze is phenomenal.

Quote feline01
    You can also make vegan cottage cheese by simmering the tofu for the 5 minutes, letting cool, then adding vegannaise, onion powder and salt. It's phenomenal.

How much vegannaise, and onion powder? Would homemade soy mayo work too?

I think it was about 1/2 cup of vegan mayo, any type so homemade will work and about a teaspoon of onion powder. It's one of those recipes that you really can play with and make towards your liking. I love vegannaise so I add a bit more.

Squeakity

Default vegan ricotta pie?

Has anybody tried this in a ricotta pie? Or perhaps have a recipe specifically for a vegan ricotta pie? I never knew there was such a thing as ricotta pie before I became a vegan, and the concept excites me.

Squeak