Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dying for Dairy

Smile Dying for Dairy

Hi guys... I have been craving dairy products for weeks now, particularly yoghurt. Yesterday it got so bad that I actually bought some, but I haven't eaten it. I cannot stop thinking about how much I want it and how much easier it would be if I was just vegetarian. (As most of you have probably read, I HATE soy products, especially yoghurt...so there is no substitute). I have rice milk on my cereal every day.

I have been discussing it with my boyfriend and he doesn't think it is worth it to give up my morals for yoghurt...and he is an omnivore.
    What do you guys do when you are just dying for something that you cannot substitute?[/color]
    Also, do any of you know of a vegan white chocolate? I want to make white chocolate and macadamia cookies (an old favourite as well)

maybe u are just low on calcium. often when u are craving things, u are low on whatever it is that is in it. maybe u need a calcium supplement?

when i crave meat, i eat protien filled foods and it goes away. when im craving cheese, i eat calcium filled foods.

Yoghurt was just about the only dairy I at eon a regular basis before I was vegan - I had some soy yoghurt when I first made the transition, buit I also donīt like them much, and I avoid all processed foods anyway.

I agree that a craving is usually a sign that you are missing some vitamin or mineral, probably calcium in this case.

Regarding substitutes, they donīt have to be exactly the same thing - like soy yoghurt for regular yoghurt. Some of our eating habits have little to do with the actual food, but with the mood, manner of eating, etc. So, that means that a substitute just has to fill the habit - I drink soy shakes now instead of eating yoghurt - since you donīt like soy milk, you could make them with rice or almond milk - I use banana, frozen berries, flax seed, a bit of molasses.

In the end, if you are really having a mad craving, and you give in to it - you may find that you donīt have the taste for it anymore - the last time I has something with a bit of dairy in it, I felt like I ate glue and got a stomachache - giving in to your craving might actually cure you of it.

Good luck.
    globesetter

Hi Banana, it might help to consider your youghurt cravings not to be about yoghurt at all, but an exercise in dropping the past and letting go of old habits. Many vegans-in-transition eat an occasional whatever-hangup-they-have to make life easier in the initial period. Trust me, old habits will die if you don't nourish them.

It's just like being on holiday in a country where you can't buy the food stuff you're used to: it's better to enjoy the sun and the new things you can eat, instead of focusing on what you can't get. Personally I went vegan overnight, but had strong cravings for a lot of things after that, and switched back and forth several times before I ended up in a situation where I know I won't go back to cheese, yoghurt or meat again.

I guess you just need some time to adjust. I'll bet a box of bananas that you won't regret - just be patient and accept where you are in this process right now - a useful, general trick that I often find useful in my own life .
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

www.veganstore.com has white chocolate chips.

Think of the cruelty involved in cow milk products. They're not suitable for humans, anyway.

Red face

Quote Korn
    It's just like being on holiday in a country where you can't buy the food stuff you're used to: it's better to enjoy the sun and the new things you can eat, instead of focusing on what you can't get
    i love that idea!

Imo cravings are explanations for people being too attached to their food, being addicted, and having to rely on certain foods to improve certain moods as mentioned. As also mentioned, its new foods, not necessary alternatives. Maybe it doesn't help banana, but thought I'd mention it.

In the end, you would be able to sustain your behaviour and have a better luck as a vegan if you sometimes werent so hard on yourself/. Society tends to stick to shades of black and white(esp when it comes to vegetarians/vegans) when often times being in the grey zone helps. Dont beat yourself up over this. Eat some yogurt if you have this urge. Remember, this isnt about being some sort of a "pure" thing. I know a lot of vegans do this, but I am more of a practical person and I feel if this small cheat (I dont like to say cheat but there) helps me stay a lifelong vegan, then its worth it. Dont sweat it. You know you are making a great choice in life and a very compassionate one. Dont worry so much.

Banana, I agree with Korn, Once you give in to a craving, you will continue to have it.
    The idea that your body craves what it needs is accurate, but people also just have habits, and food habits are associated with emotional states and social interaction in our primitive cultures. Most people don't understand that natural craving are for natural food, and end up eating nasy 'food'. Sometimes people make a big deal out of it. Chances are you miss the experience of yoghurt, but really what your body wants is something as simple as calorie rich food or fat. There are also certain tastes people crave in any form. I like tangy foods. To cure my cravings for cheese I ate hummus with tahini. Now when I crave something tangy, I crave falafels or hummus instead of cheese.

funkyvixen

Hiya

I like the theory that cravings come from a (slight) deficiency - thats certainly proven in animals, a cow with low sodium levels will seek out a salt lick for example. I'm not sure if it transfers to people though as our psychology is so much more complex! Its probably much more to do with habit and personal preferences etc.

That doesn't really help you though! I think the ideas of trying similar textured/tasting food is a good one, so maybe vegan smoothies or shakes may do it. Also, are you sure you've tried all the different soya etc yoghurts available? I found some rank but others I love.

I also like the idea that giving in to your craving might well make you feel ill and cure you of it - I know when I accidentally ate a burger (in a drunken mix-up at a takeaway) I was then attached to the toilet for the next 3 days. If you haven't eaten a substance for a long time the body loses the ability to digest it (not permanently, it could be regained, but it certainly can't cope with a sudden large influx). Not sure thats really a good solution though, to deliberately make yourself ill, and anyway, it might not make you ill, especially if you haven't been 100% vegan for a long time.

Hope you find a solution you're happy with oh and I posted on your white chocolate thread too with an idea.

fv x

oh and p.s. if you do give into your craving, please don't beat yourself up about it hon.

Smile

All the posters have offered you some great suggestions; I'm sure that at least one of them will help you in your situation!

I especially agree with Korn: focus on what you can have; think of it as an adventure in a new country. And I most heartily agree with those who remind us that veganism is not some sort of quest for perfection. This is Earth; all we can do is our best.

To answer your question, what do I do when faced with a craving for non-vegan food? I think about the animals--that's what drew me to being a vegan in the first place and that's what keeps me a vegan.

Best regards,
    Kukla's Mom
    Last edited by Kuklasmom; Jul 7th, 2004 at 11:25 PM. Reason: correction of spelling mistake

Smile

You guys have all been so helpful... But I have tried all the soy yoghurts available and they are just sooooooooo gross!!!!

It makes sense to focus on wwhat you can have rather than what you can't. Maybe a nice thick banana smoothie will do it???

I will let you guys know how I go, and meanwhile my BF can eat the yoghurt I bought!

I love soy yogurt. Maybe it's the brands. Then again could just be a taste thing. I have as much of a taste for soy yogurt as regular yogurt. I liked soy yogurt before I actually could stand the taste of soy milk which I now love.

WholeSoy brand soy yogurt is delicious. I can't help but buy the drinkable apricot mango when I'm at the supermarket.

And I agree with Gertvegan. Examine the emotions which create these cravings. Many people have almost Freudian attachment to milk.

If you're really hooked on yoghurt, or whatever, may I recommend that you beg, borrow, or buy "Breaking the Food Seduction" by Neil Barnard MD. It really is superb, and if you're honest with yourself, any addictions will disappear. As you know, Dr Barnard is a vegan, and, Banana, if you are still in Australia, go here to purchase: http://veganic.net/LuisBooks.html - though I know he had a run on the book.

An interesting aspect of Breaking the Food Seduction, is that he suggests people to try to plan only 3 weeks ahead to begin with, and make a decision afterwards. So much happens in three weeks, that if someone is able to drop old habits for 3 weeks, most likely they will decide to continue.

sumthing i find that tastes like dairy and helps my cravings:

freeze a couple of bananas. once frozen, blend immediately and eat. put sum raspberries or anything on top and it tastes just like icecream. its so yummy.

Exclamation god i know

i was craving cheese when i first started but when i finally caved i got sooo sick from the dairy i definately dont recomend trying it Ill never go back.I never realized how you can feel all the gunk flowing through your body.Just rmember how you felt before you went vegan.

funkyvixen

You could try making your own yoghurt too, from whatever non-dairy milk you prefer. Don't ask me how as I've never done it myself, but I know you can!

fv x

Quote funkyvixen
    You could try making your own yoghurt too
    Sure - try this.

It doesn't taste like yoghurt, but is a good alternative...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

drussell4801

yeah basically everyone has it right.

breaking habits is a totally different process for different people.

giving in now and then causes some to give up completely; causes others to feel gross and reinforce their beliefs.

I dont mind soy milk in mashed potato, or on my porridge,but it's dreadful in coffee. I like cheese and eggs and yoghurt (Ive only been a vegan since yesterday), but I can live with out them. The Soygert brand soy yoghurt I tried was vile. How is rice milk in coffee, and, Banana, if you make those white choc and macadamia cookies, can i have some please ?
    Last edited by Sheena; Jul 24th, 2004 at 03:54 AM. Reason: typo

Geoff

Sheena, I find that Both Sanitarium and So Natural soy milk work fine in coffee.

Veganmama

I find the Soy life yougurt is the least Soy tasting and Vitasoy milk can even go undetected in many a cow milk drinkers coffee

As far as the craving goes, when i'm having a craving for dairy i make a smoothy from frozen banana's and frozen berries and i add some tahini for a calcium hit and it usually helps

Thanks guys, Ill try the brands you mentioned. Im drinking my coffee black at the moment. I like all the brands of flavoured soymilk I have tried so far, and even my omnivorous friend liked the soy icedcoffee I gave her yesterday. I think Ill try that frozen banana/berry/tahini smoothie too, sounds yummy.

Veganmama

and if you put a couple of dates in there it chops up and is like bits of toffee through it....yumm

banana, do you have the brand 'provamel' in oz? their summer fruits flavour 'yog' is really yummy!

Suzulan

Hi Banana,
    I wish you read my message I posted on other thread but just a case you did not, I copied my message.
    I cannot blame on you for craving for something you like but when you think about horror in dairy farms, I am sure you don't want to support horrible torture and death of billions of cows and their babies by consuming dairy products.
    Like Robert Cohen said, you don't beat newborn calves with steel piple to death but when you eat dairy products, you are indirectly supporting horror in dairy farms.
    Please think about billions of newborn calves who are dumped in "dead pile" alive and freezing to death or starving to death.

Andy's Story
    One fine Spring day, just before Mother's Day two years ago, little Andy was born. A beautiful, baby calf, weighing only 30 pounds. His large doe-like eyes looked to his mother for the first time.

A young girl had gotten her first jot working part-time, after school at a dairy farm near the U.S. - Canada border. When Andy's mom began to give birth, it was the first time she'd ever witnessed anything born. She was in tears when the baby came - and then, to her horror, the farmer took Andy and threw him behind a barn, on top of a "dead pile" of other baby calves who were taken away from their mothers at brith, at let to die. She could not believe what she saw.

www.farmsanctuary.com/media/pr_mario.htm
    www.buzzle.com/editorials/10-1-2003-46048.asp
    www.rense.com/general27/babycowtorture.htm

PinkFluffyCloud, please don't get angry with me because I am not addressing my message to you.
    People, please print www.notmilk.com on your bumpersticker and let millions of people to find website of Robert Cohen.
    I am sure, if you do, billions of dairy cows and calves thank you.

PinkFluffyCloud

Banana KNOWS this, that is why she is Vegan and doesn't give in to her cravings.

uhm suzulan, banana is vegan for that reason. obviously she wouldnt give into her cravings, nor did she ever say she was going to, she just said she was craving yogurt. why would u tell someone things they already know? why do you feel the need to? i dont understand.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

PinkFluffyCloud

Join the club, Foxy!

The only thing which is difficult with veganism is that.. I miss cheese so much !! T_T When I was still a vegetarian I was a cheese addicted. All the tasty (and smelly lol) French cheeses... T_T
    I also miss ice-cream a little... but not the others dairy products.
    One day, I'll die from an Asian junk food overdose ! lol

Me too, I was a cheese fanatic. I started making my own vegan cheese though and they are pretty tasty and satisfying. I use the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stephaniak.

Sulzlan, I posted that 6 months ago and haven't given in.

Quote feline01
    Me too, I was a cheese fanatic. I started making my own vegan cheese though and they are pretty tasty and satisfying. I use the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stephaniak.
    I have to find this book and I'll try the recipes you posted in the Recipes forum (need a blender ! Desperately... -_-) And please, could you someday post some of your own recipes feline ? ^^

Quote Vora
    I have to find this book and I'll try the recipes you posted in the Recipes forum (need a blender ! Desperately... -_-) And please, could you someday post some of your own recipes feline ? ^^
    I'd post some of my own recipes if I had them . I tend to read vegan cookbooks and then adapt those recipes for my needs. I just posted a really good veggie hummus recipe. If you can't find that cookbook in France, let me know and maybe I can mail you a copy. Just PM me.

Cheese was definately the last thing I gave up. I buy Redwood Cheezly now and if I get the urge for a cheese and tomato sandwich I have that! It doesn't melt too well for toasted cheese but it is near enough for me until I find a better one. I can't find the melty one anywhere to buy!

I bought the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stephaniak last week and I am going to have a try at one of her recipes when I can buy the ingredients I need this weekend. Anyone recommend the best one to make?

Aurora x

I recommend the almond cream cheeze

Thank you feline01 I'll let you know how I get on with it!

Aurora xx

Quote feline01
    I'd post some of my own recipes if I had them . I tend to read vegan cookbooks and then adapt those recipes for my needs. I just posted a really good veggie hummus recipe. If you can't find that cookbook in France, let me know and maybe I can mail you a copy. Just PM me.
    Lol ok I see ! As for the cookbook, I actually manage to find it on Amazon.fr, so I'll buy it when I'll have some money lol ^^. (I'll try the ones you post to wait ). The cover page looks makes me hungry…

Quote foxytina_69
    uhm suzulan, banana is vegan for that reason. obviously she wouldnt give into her cravings, nor did she ever say she was going to, she just said she was craving yogurt. why would u tell someone things they already know? why do you feel the need to? i dont understand.
    Allow me to try and explain: One way to break cravings is to be reminded about the true nature of non-vegan foods. When one sees cheese one should feel the emotion of revulsion caused by the understanding of the individual crimes committed against these cows. One should replace the good feelings one feels (comfort, home, love, etc.) toward dairy with true feelings that are appropriate for such an ugly crime.

One may understand abstractly that cows suffer, but to actually see a cow as an individual with feelings, and to see this cow suffer is a different matter. Learning about animal husbandry is not bad. I doubt that anyone here is an expert, so any information is good.

If none of you needed to hear the anecdote, maybe there is a visitor to the forum who needed to hear it.

sheena, you should try the silk soy creamer, its richer and sweeter and soooo good.

One thing that I found that reminded me of cheese was this really good smoked tofu, kinda like a really good smoked cheese. Its not really smoky but I can only eat so much of it. The guy makes and sells it to local health food stores, its texture is so devine.

Suzulan

John, you are right.
    Not all vegans became vegan because love for animals but some people became vegan for environment or their own health reason and I am sure these people never heard about dirty secret of dairy farms where newborn calves are killed in most horrible ways.
    It is mistake to believe that all vegans are knowlegeable about reality of cruel dairy farms.

I really like the soy yogurts from Alpro. At first I really noticed the difference between them and 'real' yogurt but I quickly got used to it. I know it's probably best not to try to replace the things I used to eat but still there's no cruelty in soy yogurt, at least as far as I know I have tried packaged vegan cheese and found it really disgusting! I put that stuff under the grill and could not get it to melt. I'm not that bothered that I can't have cheese any more. I've recently re-discovered olives and they're my perfect substitute
    I haven't had any serious cravings. I do have a real sweet tooth but I've been getting absolutely wonderful vegan cake/dessert recipes from Vegweb. And I'm still as thin as a rake!! lol

Astrocat

I really like Provamel Yofu, which is uncannily similar to dairy-product yoghurt... particularly the (organic) cherry Yofu .... it's a lot like Ski cherry yoghurt but IMO lots nicer and obviously, a great deal more ethical.

I also especially enjoy the caramel and chocolate Alpro soy-desserts
    they're quite a lot like the Silk Soya Milk but more solid - very tasty !

Default Re: Dying for Dairy

Strange, but when I want cheese (that's the only dairy product I miss) I eat mushrooms - spaghetti with mushrooms, salads with mushrooms, everything with mushrooms my favourites - champignons.

I have found this stuff called 'tofu dessert', which is basically plain tofu in the consistency of yoghurt. It has a high calcium content and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to make this stuff taste good? It is absolutely vile on it's own

If you have an electric whisk or even better--a belender you could blend frozen strawberies/ raspberries or even *drum roll* MEDJOOL DATES!

Add spices like cinnamon, or nutmeg etc...

Could sweeten with maple syrup too.

Thanks Lilith - I tried the blueberry thang but no good - I could still taste the tofu taste. God I hate that stuff!

I believe I have had that in Asian resturaunts here in the US in the chinatown district.

They serve it as a desert, but it comes preflavored. Perhaps adding a lot of sugar and spices as was suggested and blending and then re-chilling?

Also, I believe a tablespoon of vinegar can take the "beany" taste away from tofu. I tried to make a tofu sour-cream once (basically blended tofu with onion soup mix) and I had to feed it to my dog... And I LOVE soy!

I researched some recipes and a tablespoon of lemon juice (fresh) or white vinegar seems to be included in any blended tofu recipe.