Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Chocolate

Default Re: vegan chocolate

Plamil do a milk chocolate bar, it can help beat the cravings.... i said it can help. Twitch, twitch.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Oh and they've started chucking all sorts of good things in their other chokky bars too... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

And Montezuma's are doing a orange and geranium emporers bar. Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Oooooooooo i want some choclate now. Some chocolate. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Here is an article on a vegan brand of chocolate: Chocolate Decadence: A Company with a Conscience

And here is an article with a "Shopping Guide" for some brands offering vegan, fairly traded chocolate: Chocolate, Unchained

Both articles are by Lee Hall, Legal Director for Friends of Animals.
    The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men. —Alice Walker

I like the endangered speicies bars: The Rainforrest Bar (mint), The Black Rhino Bar (hazlenut toffee), The Tiger Bar (espresso), The Bat Bar (dark choc. w/ coco nibs), Black Panther Bar (Extreme Dark Chocolate with 88% Cocoa), Chimpanzee Bar (Supreme Dark Chocolate), Grizzly Bar (Dark Chocolate with Raspberries), Sea Turtle Bar (Dark Chocolate with Blueberries), Wolf Bar (Dark Chocolate with Cranberries and Almonds)
    They also have organic baby bars which are fantabulous! Organic Butterfly Baby Bar (Smooth Dark Chocolate), Organic Koala Baby Bar (Dark Chocolate with Cherry), Organic Zebra Baby Bar (Dark Chocolate with Tangerine)
    And yes I have tried every single one. At one point I was eating so many big bars I had tons of coupons for baby bars...like 12 or more in a week.
    Hi, My name is Melissa.
    I am a Chocoholic.

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Organica Fairtrade chocolate bars are well moorish. Plain or hazelnut, I'm easy.

Default Re: chocolate question

I checked the semi-sweet chips mom is using in cooking and they have milkfat in them. Bummer.

Sam's Choice baking chips are supposed to be vegan. Available at Walmart.

I saw a vegetarian cooking show once and EVERYTHING was smothered in cheese, milk, eggs, etc. Disgusting!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Default Milk-free milk chocolate

Lynne's milk-free milk-chocolate

Here is my recipe for milk-free milk chocolate. It is inexpensive and delicious and super easy to make.

100 gram coconut milk powder*
    100 gram powdered sugar
    6 tspn cocoa
    Just enough melted coconut butter** to dissolve your dry ingredients and make a thick liquid.
    Stir for two minutes until smooth.

Roast 3/4 cup or so chopped almonds ‘til lightly brown and add to above chocolate mixture.

Spoon into forms. Makes 20 or so small chocolates.
    I use both paper chocolate forms and flexible silicone forms.

Put in fridge for 30 minutes or until hard, must be kept cool.

*The brand of coconut milk powder must be really powdery or your chocolate will not be smooth. Choakoh brand is powdery.
    **We live in Germany and this is sold in blocks very cheaply in the refrigerated section next to the butter.

Enjoy!
    Lynne

Default Add vanilla to the milk-free milk chocolate

Add a pinch of bourbon vanilla powder to the dry ingredients.
    Also, sieving all the dry ingredients first gets the lumps out faster.

Instead of almonds try raisons for milk-free milk chocolate covered raisons.

Enjoy!
    Lynne

ConsciousCuisine

Default Re: Milk-free milk chocolate

Oh, yeah! That's worth eating!!!

Blueshark

Angry Chocolate..

Why is there no chocolate thread?? There probably is but I am just being blind.

What is your favourite choc?

In Belgium, I am spoilt with choice here. Just bought Meurisse Gout Vanille - It is a dark choc with a vanilla filling. Very tasty but perhaps a bit to sweet.

Also Galler choc is more high quality and has some fantastic pralines.

Default Re: Chocolate..

Quote Blueshark
    Why is there no chocolate thread?? There probably is but I am just being blind.
    Congratulations on making the 26th thread with the word chocolate in the title

The general purpose one is here
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

but just for the record, Black and Greene's Maya Gold mmmmmmmmmm hehehe
    Frisky as a flea on a fat dog

Blueshark

Quote Mr Flibble

The general purpose one is here
    Okay stupid me was looking in the 'Sweet' section

I like Green and Blacks ginger choc. And that Organica one in the purple wrapper. Oh, and Booja Booja champagne truffles. And Lyme regis foods choc covered marzipan (they do an organic one).
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I like Tropical Source but they don't sell them anymore here.

I like dark chocolate, but sometimes, it's not sweet and "creamy"/"melt in your mouth" enough. Makes sense?

oldsilverhead

Please don't be duped by the fair trade thing with Green and Blacks as only some of their products were ever marked fair trade and now they are owned by Cadburys they are far,far from fair trade.

I personally buoycott all Green and Black's products as my conscience won't permit me to do otherwise.

On a happier note there are many other vegan choccy products which I can and do enjoy

oldsilverhead

lots of the cherry liqueur pralines that there are, are vegan. there are other liqueur pralines too. though those things usually have either too thick a chocolate covering, or too much sugar lining...

it's SUPEREASY to make truffles oneself! and comparably cheap (actually, quite cheap)

Quote Mr Flibble
    I just merged some of them...

oldsilverhead

I know you are referring to the threads but I can't help but imagine you merging every vegan chocolate product ever mentioned on this forum in a huge cauldron and serving up the delicious,bubbling contents to us

oldsilverhead

Default Re: Vegan Chocolate

yeah i just noticed the thread name magically changing all of a sudden..!

so white chocolate - i see someone came up with a recipe, that's cool! there is some sort of 'white choc' available to buy, though, i've found it in kosher shops. it was on the bakery shelf, as a bar and as chips. they're for baking, and the taste is not fabulous, but they do taste kind of what i remember white chocolate to be like. very sugary. i prefer my truffles

Blueshark

Quote oldsilverhead
    I know you are referring to the threads but I can't help but imagine you merging every vegan chocolate product ever mentioned on this forum in a huge cauldron and serving up the delicious,bubbling contents to us

oldsilverhead

DID SOMEONE SAY CHOCOLATE??????

Hey, Silver...can you recommend a good cocoa powder??? I really like Black & Greens but you say their owned by Cadbury now? Darn...most cocoa powders here are really tame or have additives or something...no good chocolate taste.

I take your point, Old(ish!)Silverhead, but at least Green and Blacks are still labelled vegan. Are you sure that just because they are owned by Cadburys, the sourcing of their ingredients has changed?
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

oldsilverhead

Whether the sourcing of their ingredients has changed or not every time you purchase a Green and Blacks products you are supporting Cadburys whose trade is far from fair.

Being an ethical consumer does not mean one can avoid all unethical purchases as this is not possible but if we make ethical choices where they are available then this is preferable.

oldsilverhead

More talk of the Cadbury, Green & Blacks thing is in the Cadburys taking over Green & Black's thread.

Has anyone else had the large box of assorted centre chocolates from Animal Aid? They used to have a purple bow on the lid, now it's green I think. I ordered some for someone's Christmas present but they were late arriving (though I never usually have to wait long for my orders from them, think they just forgot to include them in the package) so I got the person something else...and ate the whole box of chocs myself when they eventually turned up! Couldn't help myself - they have such gorgeous flavours, and the vanilla one is to die for!
    Lisa: "Do we have any food that wasn't brutally slaughtered?"
    Homer: "Well, I think the veal died of loneliness." ~ Matt Groening, The Simpsons

Talking Re: Vegan Chocolate

i dont know if someone already posted this info, but i was browsing peta today and found this

http://www.simpletreatsvt.com/

and they have white chocolate chips, http://www.simpletreatsvt.com/show_image.php?ID=192

& many other baking ingredients,
    as well as selling thier yummy (looking) finished (VEGAN) product!

& a cookbook!!!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

tabitha

Lily - Ive just noticed that little Homer and Lisa thing at the bottom of your page! Thats brilliant isnt it LOL

Yeah, I thought so too! Funny if only it wasn't so damned sad!

By the way, welcome to the forum!
    Homer: "Well, I think the veal died of loneliness." ~ Matt Groening, The Simpsons

When I was at Whole Foods a few weeks ago, I noticed that they had bulk dark chocolate chips. The label didn't show any animal products in it, but I had a manager verify that they didn't. Luckily, they ended up Vegan (and they plan to label them that way now). So, I have a source for fairly inexpensive chocolate chips.

I'm planning on making my own assortment of dipped candies for Valentines day using the vegan chocolate chips that I bought. If I succeed, I'll post recipes and instructions.

I bought a lovely bar from Morrisons (morrisons own) of all places yesterday. It was so nice, I'm going back today, hehe. Me = Pig.

XD

Quote Lily
    Has anyone else had the large box of assorted centre chocolates from Animal Aid? They used to have a purple bow on the lid, now it's green I think. I ordered some for someone's Christmas present but they were late arriving (though I never usually have to wait long for my orders from them, think they just forgot to include them in the package) so I got the person something else...and ate the whole box of chocs myself when they eventually turned up! Couldn't help myself - they have such gorgeous flavours, and the vanilla one is to die for!
    Yeah, i ordered a box of these for easter. They arrived late for easter but were super nice although i still really crave vegan 'milk' chocolate chocolates....

- Byron

Aww, yeah me too. Especially ones filled with toffee...

Dont. Just DONT.

- Byron

Blueshark

Quote Lily
    Aww, yeah me too. Especially ones filled with toffee...
    I bought some dairy-free toffee a while back from Aldi

*jaw drops in delight*

- Byron

tabitha

Quote Blueshark
    I bought some dairy-free toffee a while back from Aldi
    No way!!! dairy free toffee??!! Was it nice. Im getting some tomorrow if it is. I loved toffee.

Blueshark

It was good, quite chewy and sweet. Only bought it once, when I was living up in Manchester last year.

Never seen it since

send Me Some Asap.

Blueshark

I will have a look for it, but if it is not in my local Aldi, it doesnt really matter. It must be made a European company, and it does exist!

So it will be found again..by someone....somewhere..I hope

Quote Blueshark
    It was good, quite chewy and sweet. Only bought it once, when I was living up in Manchester last year.

Never seen it since
    Outrageous. You must now make it your mission to track this down immediately. You cant announce something like that then tell us its no longer available!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Have a heart!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Byron

Blueshark

My heart will be as cold as a moonstone, if that precious toffee does not touch my lips again...so I have no choice

tabitha

I will buy 20 packets if they have it at Aldi and send one to each of you.

Blueshark

Courtesy of www.vegansociety.com

Vegan Toffee

1 1/2lb (680 g) raw cane sugar
    2 oz (55 g) ground almonds
    1 oz (30 g) Vegan margarine
    1/4 pint (140 ml) soya milk

1. Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan, and heat gently whilst stirring continually until the mixture comes to the boil. Continue boiling and stirring over a medium heat for about 7 minutes.
    2. Remove from the heat and beat the mixture until it thickens.
    3. Pour into a well greased shallow tin and smooth the top with a knife. Leave to cool, marking into squares before it sets hard. Break into individual pieces when cold.

Thats a lot of sugar

:d :d :d

- Byron

Quote puffin
    Thats a lot of sugar
    I too should stay away from the chocolates Puffin. It all accumulates at the rear.

I think Catmogg is the only one here who can take any amounts of sugar. You should see her gobbling chocolates. She will even kill for them!
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Blueshark

Quote Kiran
    I too should stay away from the chocolates Puffin. It all accumulates at the rear.
    May I recommend this book