Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hay fever

Default Hay fever

Help please. I have really bad hayfever at the moment - anyone know any natural remedies? I have checked all the over-the-counter drugs but they all contain something non-vegan, and are probably tested on animals anyway. I saw a post from Sylkan: "An excellent alternative to antihistamines is oregano oil. A couple of a drops in a glass of water every evening when my hay fever is bad keeps my head quite clear.", which is great, I will check that out, but all other suggestions are most welcome. Ta.
    Dynamic Harmlessness

Default Re: HayFever

Hi mememe,

i also get really bad hay fever. what are your worst symptoms? i get a really blocked/runny nose, sneezing, itchy eyes and sore throat.

i use herbal eye drops from Holland & Barrett which are vegan, they're called Vizulize i think. there are also nasal sprays you can get which are mostly salt water, they clear my nose out really well. i've been using Potter's which i think is vegan (i hope so!!!) and is also from H&B. for my sore throat i use Herbon lozenges which defo are vegan, from, guess where, H&B.

hope this helps
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

cross barer

I use liquid echinacea. It's preserved in alcohol so I make a tea out of a few drops of ech, fresh lemon and garlic.

Smells bad, does good.

sounds gross Adam, but glad it works!

i forgot to say that i started drinking a cup of nettle tea every day a few weeks before hay fever season, and it seems to have helped control my symptoms a bit. i know you're already suffering mememe but perhaps it'll still help if you drink it now. it's a weird taste but you get used to it
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

cross barer

I walked through a mall today that had a florist and started sneezing. It's the middle of winter here!

i was actually just going to say, nettle tea is supposed to be fab for allergies.

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...,10048,00.html
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Thank you all so much, I will give those remedies a go. I already drink nettle tea, I heard about that one before. I don't mind the taste at all either. Will get myself down to H&B later!

Yes, my symptoms are the same as yours, Gorilla. I guess they are pretty standard symptoms. Horrible!!!

AA, your remedies sound so foul it might just work!!! Or, the solution would be for me to come to Australia for six months every year, thus missing hayfever season forever - result!!!
    Dynamic Harmlessness

This may sound daft, but find out what edible flowers you have growing near you. A lot of the holistic people say honey is good for allergies - well, obviously vegans won't be touching honey! The only reason it helps control hay fever is because of the pollen. If you ingest pollen then your body creates anti bodies which help reduce symptoms. So eat some local flowers, marigold, daisies, hawthorn, clover, whatever else is growing locally. This really does help.

For the record mass marketed honey comes from all over the world so it won't help your local allergies anyway. Just another advertising gimmick. The best cures are free.

But nettle tea should work. My granny used to make dead head nettle tea for my brother when his allergies kicked off his asthma. And it worked. Possibly better for coming from her back yard, but nettle tea in general is great.

If you can't stand eating flowers, then shake them in water and some of the pollen will get into the water and help if you drink it down. But personally I like all the above mentioned flowers finely shredded and scattered through a salad, which you eat as usual.

I used to get the most appalling hay fever by the way. This stuff (and echinancea) really work.

This sounds so crazy it has to be true! You certainly seem convinced, I have to say I am feeling a bit of a wuss about eating flowers, but I am suffering with this so much I will give it a go! I suppose cooking them will ruin the healing properties? Or mixed up with your crazy avocado soup?! Or can I make flower tea?
    I think my hayfever is more related to certain trees - as such, should I be looking into which flowering parts of which trees I can eat, i.e. eat the pollen of the pollen which is causing my allergies, or will any pollen do?
    Dynamic Harmlessness

If it is related to trees get the flowering parts of the tree, but also leaves will help. Flower and leaf teas will help.

If it is willow trees, then use the bark to make a willow tea. You can buy this from the health food shop. You can also eat oak leaves in a salad. They are loverly.

When you think of it, honey is crazy! Yet people believe that.

Let us know how it goes.

You could always make a nice fruit jelly, and as it is cooling down float the flowers in there. Don't boil them though - on the other hand pollen doesn't break down as easily as vitamins. Pouring boiling water on flowers has never stopped them from working in teas in the past, so I imagine a bit of heat won't do them any harm.

Try cooking nettles in stews as well by the way. Another of my Granny's favourites.

All my friends think I am barking already!

Thanks so much for all the advice, Mary, I will give everything a go, as I feel so rotten! I will let you know how I get on. Also, next year, before this kicks in, I suppose I should be going for prevention rather than cure, and start eating flowers etc before I get these awful symptoms?

Your Granny sounds clued up - lucky you!

x
    Dynamic Harmlessness

My Granny was clued up, she was even vegan from 1945, and didn't know the word! She said she "kept the black fast".

Yes, prevention will be better than cure. Also, see if you can get any tests done to see if there is anything else we all have missed. I know how awful hay fever is, and am glad not to get it so much these days.

Good luck!

(The alternative is to go and live in Jamaica, where the pollens don't do this kind of thing! This is why every Jamaican I know gets awful hay fever this time of year...)

Quote Realfood Mary
    My Granny was clued up, she was even vegan from 1945, and didn't know the word! She said she "kept the black fast".
    What???

Quote Realfood Mary
    Yes, prevention will be better than cure. Also, see if you can get any tests done to see if there is anything else we all have missed. I know how awful hay fever is, and am glad not to get it so much these days.
    Thanks, I hate going to the docs, so will try your cures first and if I am still sneezing etc I will cart myself off to get tests, but really, I only get it for a few weeks every year.

Quote Realfood Mary
    Good luck!
    Thank you.

Quote Realfood Mary
    (The alternative is to go and live in Jamaica, where the pollens don't do this kind of thing! This is why every Jamaican I know gets awful hay fever this time of year...)
    Jamaica here I come.....
    Dynamic Harmlessness

My Granny went vegan on the day of her first son's funeral. He died the day he was born, and she was full of milk for him. When they took him to be buried on the Wednesday it was also market day. Her father was a dairy farmer. As she was putting her son in the coffin, wrapped up in the white robes he never got to wear for his baptism, she heard the cows out lowing in the field. Their babies had just been taken off them for market.

As she put it, "I heard the mother's out crying in the field, and knew what they felt."

Although she will have eaten cross contaminated things in her life, she never knowingly ate anymilk, meat, eggs or fish again. She occasionally ate potatoes that had been cooked in the same stock pot as bits of meat, but she was more likely to fool the family by cooking them something "meaty" and not telling them it was flesh free. She used to get olive oil from the chemists - you couldn't buy it from the shops in those days. She rinsed nettles with water, then fried them with oil, walnuts and garlic, served them on bread with beans. Sadly none of her other ten kids went vegan, though my mother may have done if she had lived. She made the right noises.

The Black Fast was a really strict lenten observance where you ate nothing that came from an animal, and most people kept it for six weeks out of the year. My Granny kept it from 1945 to 1999 when she died.

You should have seen her face when we first got her vegan icecream. That's it, that's what she looked like!

When I told her I had gone vegan she said, "oh jaysus Mary, don't go joining one of those strange American cults." I explained to her what I meant, and she said, "oh, you mean you keep the black fast." She was really happy with that, particularly when she found out my son did too.

She knew when I went into labour, even though she was in Dungiven, and I was in Blackpool. I hadn't told her I was pregnant, as she always worried with first borns. But she rang when my contractions started, berating me for not telling her. She was having cramps, and thought, "now, who would be pregnant... There's only Mary!"

She was a lovely, slightly bonkers woman, and I wonder how many more there were like her in the world. Did you know the oldest bones in the UK, in Cornwall, show from mineral analysis that they belonged to a life long vegan who spent his entire life in England? So it is not that uncommon...

Mary, that is a wonderful story. Well, sad about her first baby dying, but what a remarkable lady! Do you think you went vegan because of her? Sorry for going off-topic, and sorry if you have already posted your vegan reasons elsewhere.

I feel very ignorant, I have never heard of the Black Fast.

I nearly cried when I discovered vegan icecream!
    Dynamic Harmlessness

Granny planted the first seed of my veganism. When I was little girl I saw her pouring boiling water over her weetabix when she was visiting us. "Urgh," I said. "Why don't you have milk like everyone else?" She told me about her son, and I would have stopped drinking milk then and there, if only I had known other vegans. I got told that I needed milk, because I was a growing child, and Granny didn't know what she was talking about. "She was never the same after her baby died," people used to say. "She never quite recovered..."

Well, you wouldn't. Doesn't mean you go mad though! She was saner than most of her neighbours...

I have to say, Weetabix with water probably wouldn't have appealed to me!

Bless her!
    Dynamic Harmlessness

cross barer

Quote mememe
    AA, your remedies sound so foul it might just work!!! Or, the solution would be for me to come to Australia for six months every year, thus missing hayfever season forever - result!!!
    Doesn't work for me, I get hayfever about 10 months per year. Better weather and less rain mean more pollen in the air!

That's it then, I am off to Jamaica.

10 months out of 12???! Poor you, how DO you cope?
    Dynamic Harmlessness

Cryospark

Mary you prescribed a homeopathic remedy that's awesome ;p
    I used to get hayfever, but since i got healthier it kinda has disappeared, I guess whatever it is that reacts to pollen in me is somewhat subdued. Hayfever can be beaten don't give up ;p

Is that what it is? I thought it was Granny magic!

Cryospark

What you said is in a way how homeopathy works,
    Oh and I just realized something
    You guys might wanna go down and get some dandelion tablets, I'm pretty sure this should very much diminish your pollen reaction ;p aswell as introducing pollen it spurs liver and kidneys to cleanse you of impurities. Nice work Mary

I've just noticed that my hayfever tablets contain lactose

I managed the last few years without tablets, but I smoked then, and that reduces the amount of snot (for want of a better word) you produce. This year my hayfever was bad enough to be debilitating - non stop sneezing and streaming nose for hours at a time. This was how it was before I ever smoked. So at the moment I gotta take the tablets - just wish I could find some with no animal products in I'm taking generic Cetirizine Dihydrochloride and they lessen the symptoms enough to stop me feeling like killing myself.

On top of that I get asthma as part of my pollen allergy - I take salbutamol inhaler for that - no idea if that is animal free.

I got hayfever bad this year. Fortunately it's gone now. I'll try dandilines next year. With me when it gets really bad my eyes lids glue shut.

Mary: I like the sound of your gran.

This is from my herbal book. I have not tried it but it seems to help my mom. Steep 1 teaspoon fenugreek seed in 1 cup water, covered, for 10 minutes. Drink 1 cup a day to help hay fever symptoms.

Maya

Quote dreama
    I got hayfever bad this year. Fortunately it's gone now. I'll try dandilines next year. With me when it gets really bad my eyes lids glue shut.
    I still got at least another month of mine to go.
    I've started getting nosebleeds now, from blowing it (my nose!!!!) too much.

I noticed Tesco do a drinkable version of the tablets I take. It appears to be Vegan, so I might switch to that, if I can face all the other artificial crap they've added in to give it that thick, sweet, gloopy "medicine" feel.

Hello allergy sufferers!

For the first time in my life last year, I had allergies.
    It was the "end of summer" kind...and they were bad.

I wasn't sure if I would get them again this year. Sure enough, they came back.
    I've been dealing with my allergies for about 2 months now. I feel exhausted.

I don't take any kind of drugs. Ever. I don't believe in pumping my body with toxic "medication". The only thing I've been doing is blowing my nose, splashing my eyes with water and eating pineapple. I feel like I haven't had a good sleep in a long time.

My point is - I think I may have found something for all us that is non-toxic, 100% natural & plant based!
    It's called Quercetin.

I found out about this from my boyfriends mom, whose friend's friend (sounds silly, I know) HAD severe allergies.

He found this at our local healthfood store and swears by it.

This man was allergic to everything imaginable. He started taking Quercetin, and he says: "he feels like a new man".
    He passed his discovery along to another friend, who's son had severe allergies as well. He started taking Quercetin saturday, and today (thursday), says that his allergies are GONE!

Quercetin is one of the most active flavonoids found dominatly in barks and rinds of most plants.

Quercetin is a yellow crystalline, algy cone derivative of several flavanoids.

Known for its anti-inflammatoy, antiviral and anti-tumour properties, Quercetin inhibits the production of histamine and other inflammatory mediators from most cells, basophils, neutrophils, and macrophages.

Other good qualities: inhibiting formation of Leucotrienes, which are 1000 times more inflammatory than histamine that are linked to asthma, psoriasis, atopic dermatitis, gout, ulcerative colitis and possibly cancer.

Here's a link about Quercetin.

I also read that it should be taken with Bromelain foods bromelain having anti-inflammatory properties. Pineapple being the best source of bromelain.

I went and got some of the caplets this morning from the healthfood store.

Each caplet contains: 400mg Quercetin + 100mg Bromelain
    Contains NO: Dairy, eggs, artificial preservatives, colours, yeast, artificial sweeteners, wheat, soya, or corn.

It was $11 Canadian from a company called Organika.

If anyone has any questions, please ask away...

I took my first one this aftenoon, so I will let you know how it goes...

Also, it would be good to consume foods that are high in quercetin. Apples, onions, raspberries, black and green tea, red wine, red grapes, citrus fruit, cherries, broccoli, and leafy greens are some...

Thanks, Terra, this is all very interesting, I am over the hayfever for this year I think (hope) but will bear this in mind for next summer. Sounds too good to be true.
    Dynamic Harmlessness

Quote terra
    Also, it would be good to consume foods that are high in quercetin. Apples, onions, raspberries, black and green tea, red wine, red grapes, citrus fruit, cherries, broccoli, and leafy greens are some...
    Althoug I already eat loads of these things.
    Dynamic Harmlessness

Yes - me too ... well, I try to!

The quercetin has worked for me.
    I still get a bit stuffed up, but compared to everyone else I know who has bad allergies right now, I'm doing pretty good.

The one symptom i have noticed dissapear is the itchiness. That was always the worst part about my allergies. I wanted to rip my head off sometimes......

I was told that the quercetin also comes in liquid form. Might be better...?

It's been a bad year for allergies up in Canada this year. So i'm glad i found something.....

Please do try it mememe, if you allergies get bad enough next year!

This article on hay fever and rice, may interest you http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/h...sh_1496029.htm
    Eve

I eat tonnes of rice and still get hay fever

I have been on the nettle tea and echinacia, vit c & astragalus, garlic for several days.

No improvement so far.

The Healthfood shops in Bendigo hanen't heard of Quenticin (or whatever it is) but through research I see it is present in onions which I eat a lot of.

Blueshark

How are peoples' hayfever this year? None for me so far.

Last year I only got it for two weeks. whereas before I would have it for perhaps two months. I always used to get *terrible* symptoms.

I have my fingers crossed that it was a dairy allergy that caused the worst of it.

Last year was also my first vegan year so I am hoping !

Huh, you know I wasn't really paying attention but my eyes are a little more watery but not that bad really. It is that time isn't it?

my hayfever didn't come on until i was about 19/20 and has been getting progressively worse each year.

I moved from city to country last year, been a bit snuffley already

What drugs to people take - for hayfeverthat is, not generally
    I dont get crunchy people?

Quote Blueshark

Last year I only got it for two weeks. whereas before I would have it for perhaps two months. I always used to get *terrible* symptoms.

I have my fingers crossed that it was a dairy allergy that caused the worst of it.

Unfortunately, as it is usually an allergy to grasses and pollens etc, I don't know if being vegan helps that much, well it doesn't in my case .

I usually stick to herbals as much as I can and avoid being outside.

I drink nettle tea and steam my nose a couple of times a day. I take echinacea and garlic hayfever caps or tincture. I smear eucalyptus and petroleum around the inside of my nostrils before I go anywhere. It traps the baddies before they hit your sinuses.

tabitha

I havent had hay fever since being vegan (over two years). My asthma has been a bit better too. Also (touch wood) I havent had a cold since being vegan.

Quote Blueshark

Mine has just kicked in in the last couple of days. I was hoping it would give me a miss this year (never has - but I can always dream). So I'm using up the last of my pre-vegan hay-fever remedies whilst I frantically search for something else. I might try the herbal one mentioned (Quercetin - i think), or try pleading with the pharmacist again.
    I have to find something soon, or I won't be able to work, think or do anything except scratch and sniff.

I sympathise will all you fellow sufferers.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Yeah mine has been building for the last couple of days.

It was bugging me when I got home last night. This morning it was full on sneezing fit, constant streaming nose Change in weather is usually the cause of a bad day (for me at least) - sunny to rainy in this case.

Took my first tablet of the season. 1 down, 180ish more to go.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

feral

I have constant rhinitis which is a bitch, one thing some of you might find handy is sterimar, a salt water pressurised nasal spray, give yer snozzle a blast with it and it clears everything out, normally gives an instant relief from pressure and washes all the pollen out. It's really handy when you're on the go or on holiday when you don't want to give up the time for steam cups.

Quercetin sounds fab. My hay fever hasn't started this year yet but it inevitably will and it would be good to be prepared.

I also have pretty severe cat/animal hair allergies and allergic asthma and Quercetin sounds as though it could be good for that as well. I have to confess that when I visited my sister (and her FIVE cats) last month and was offered an antihistamine there was no hesitation

Has anyone else tried it?

feral

I fancy trying it too Cherry, wonder if we can get it in the UK?

feral

I got some Quercetin complex in my local health store, Solgar veg capsules, £13.79 for 50 tablets @ 2 per day, hopefully their effectiveness is reflected in their price! I'll report back when I've finished the bottle.

Hi Feral,

www.nutricentre.com is London based and I find them to be very helpful on advice needed to treat a particular problem.

feral

Thanks for that Gal, I see they have the Quercetin at the same price, nice to know I didn't get ripped off lol. I'll put them in my favourites, I take a few suppliments to ease my ME/CFS so it should come in handy, thanks again

Oooh. I'm definitely going to get some. The last couple of days I've been a bit sneezy so I think it's starting

Any luck so far Feral? Do you need to take loads before it's effective?

feral

Well this is only my third day Cherry, the first day I took two together, but yesterday I took one with breakfast and one with dinner to see if that's more effective. Coincidentally on Wednesday before I took the tablets my sinisuses got really dry and uncomfortable and then yesterday they were terrible, had a bad sinisus headache all day and couldn't get out of bed, my tummy was bad all day too, I've noticed my tummy is usually bad along with the flare-ups. I don't seem to have hayfever but have chronic sinusitus which the doctors can't find a definate reason for. I'll let you know as soon as I feel any improvement *crosses fingers, toes & eyes*

Like many natural medicines, Quercetin on its own can take up to several months to make any marked difference in some people and it is definately not enough when your problem like hay fever, rhinitis or fluid in the ears is chronic or in the long term, which had meant chronic all year round for several years for me as the conventional treatment for asthma had made any treament of these other conditions impossible.

Much later I discovered from natural medicine that it was having these other conditions that knocked my asthma out of control whenever I got infection in the rhinitis or in the fluid in the ears and when the hay fever hit its highest peak. Natural medicine showed me that the treatments for these conditions could also be beneficial to asmtha sufferers, so I personally took the risk under strict medical supervision and dropped the seretide and becotide and hung on to the salbutamol to put my conventional doctors mind at rest.

Quercetin has to be boosted with Bromelain to get its full impact and the Bromelain is concentrated from the core of the pineapple and not of its fllesh. The Bromelain dosage must be at least half the dosage of the Quercetin if not slightly over.

Whether you have one or all three of these conditions as I did, the prescribed dosage was the same back then. 400mg of quercetin and 250mg of bromelain 3 times daily.

Due to being a long term chronic sufferer of all three as well as having asthma, I had to keep taking this same dosage until all symptoms were totally clear for a minimum of 2 months then cut it down to twice daily for 2 months and then down to once daily for a further 2 months providing all symptons still remained clear. Then stop altogether and only start again at 3 times daily if or when any of the symptoms came back again.

Due to having asthma I also had an infection prevention prescription with very high dosages of all the B Vitamins added which I took throughout that time.

After that first initial full 7 month course just over 4 years ago now, all symptoms continued to stay away until the following April which brought on a much milder hay fever which also triggered a much milder rhinitis. The quercetin and bromelain was started again but this time only at twice daily for a month and then a continuous prevention of once in the morning until October came in. I haven't had any asthma symptons since that time.

For the lucky ones with the very short term hay fever, you only need this twice daily dosage until it your hay fever is gone.