Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hay fever

feral

Default Re: HayFever

Bugger mine has 500mg quercetin & only 50mg bromelain! I have exercise asthma Gal but having ME/CFS it isn't really a problem, I only have to take inhailors with infection which is rarely. Perhaps I'll look about for a pure bromelain tablet to help boost the quercetin. I use sterimar & rinocort daily as well as vitamin C & Zinc to support my immune system. I also try to limit yeast products. I think I'll actually start taking my bacteria tablets for my stomach again to see if it helps.
    Thanks for all that information, it's really useful to see how someone else treated their condition. I've been struggling with mine since 2000.

Hi Feral,

500mg of quercetin is fine when only taking it twice a day. Having bioflavonoids in the vitamin C will help the lower dosage of Bromelain if your hay fever is not too bad, so check your vitamin C first.

I'm sorry but I don't recall the names of sterimar & rinocort as I only work on the basic term contents of whatever I need from various books and clinics then check it with the Nutri Centre.

My immune system was killed off when IVF treatment went wrong, so everything else with it I know of. I got listed as a permanent high risk infection case from the last time they had big trouble keeping me alive. Then I discovered natural remedies (it was the Bible that led me on that path) and I haven't looked back at conventional medicine ever since. I may never have full normal health again considering my age now but I've got life back now and its great.

Having become first vegetarian for a year or so and then vegan, my prevenative cures are cut down considerably now which is so much easier on the pocket since I no longer have to get into debt for the bigger stuff.

Quote feral
    Thanks for all that information, it's really useful to see how someone else treated their condition. I've been struggling with mine since 2000.
    Yep, thanks Gal, and thanks Feral

I can't imagine that I'll ever drop salbutamol either, but I'm certainly interested in trying new things and it's good to know that there are options. I'm glad being vegan has helped you too, Gal.

I'm glad that I became a vegan too Cherry.
    By the way, I haven't used any asthma product for over 3 years now as the complete dietry change and natural only cures has worked wonders in everything for me.

Just think how worse allegies are for those who have dairy...more phlegm!
    'To repeat what others have said requires education, to challenge it requires brains.'

I went to my Health store to get some Quercetin, but they were out of stock. Instead they recommended I tried Luffa. So I bought a bottle of the Luffa Complex Tincture.
    Oh my god! It works! I've always had to depend on fairly high doses of nasty drugs, but I can take this just when I need it, and 15mins later, the symptoms are much reduced.
    They recommend you mix it with a little water and hold it in your mouth for 1 min. I find that if I just put a few drops direcly in my mouth, it works much better. You just have to cope with the pure alcohol it's in
    It reduces sneezing, rhinitis and the itchy eyes.
    Amazing - I'm a convert!
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Fingers crossed, mine hasn't started yet. Since turning vegan a couple of months ago I've hardly noticed my other allergies (cats etc). Previous summers I've limited dairy and noticed an improvement. I'm determined not to take any conventional medicine this year. I would be interested to hear anyone's solutions for once an attack has started.

Quote Cumin
    I went to my Health store to get some Quercetin, but they were out of stock. Instead they recommended I tried Luffa. So I bought a bottle of the Luffa Complex Tincture.
    Oh my god! It works! I've always had to depend on fairly high doses of nasty drugs, but I can take this just when I need it, and 15mins later, the symptoms are much reduced.
    They recommend you mix it with a little water and hold it in your mouth for 1 min. I find that if I just put a few drops direcly in my mouth, it works much better. You just have to cope with the pure alcohol it's in
    It reduces sneezing, rhinitis and the itchy eyes.
    Amazing - I'm a convert!
    Can you tell us what the ingredients are Cumin?

feral

I tried luffa complex and it didn't have any effect at all I'm afraid.

Quote treehugga
    Can you tell us what the ingredients are Cumin?
    Certainly.

from http://www.bioforceshop.co.uk/produc...l/luffacomplex

Ingredients:
    Contains the extracts of: Aralia racemosa* (American Spikenhard), Cardiosparmum halicacabum* (Heartseed), Galphimia glauca (Golden Thryallis), Luffa operculata (Luffa), Larrea mexicana (Chapparal), Okoubaka aubrevillei (Okoubaka) and Ammi visnaga (Toothpick Weed).
    Alcohol content: 67% v/v.
    * Organically grown.

Unlike some of these tictures, it doesn't taste bad. A bit like whisky I think.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote feral
    I tried luffa complex and it didn't have any effect at all I'm afraid.
    How did you take it? I find that it makes a big difference whether I dilute it or not. I also have to take it quite regularly at some points in the day (e.g. every hour).

feral

I took it regularly (can't remember how often, twas a good while ago) but it was the melty tablets I was takin. It might be to do with mine not being hayfever but perennial rhinitis

yes - that sounds likely. Oh well - good luck finding something that works for you.

feral

Thanks Cumin, the only cure I've found is being at the Fermanagh lakeland, it tends to ease all my ills but alas tis not to be my home. Glad to hear the lufa is working for you.

i find drinking a cup of nettle tea helps the symptoms once they've started. i also use a salt water nasal spray to stop the sneezing and herbal eye drops to stop my eyes itching. so far i haven't really had any signs of hayfever this year but that's probably got a lot to do with the weather being so awful.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Cumin
    Certainly.

from http://www.bioforceshop.co.uk/produc...l/luffacomplex

Ingredients:
    Contains the extracts of: Aralia racemosa* (American Spikenhard), Cardiosparmum halicacabum* (Heartseed), Galphimia glauca (Golden Thryallis), Luffa operculata (Luffa), Larrea mexicana (Chapparal), Okoubaka aubrevillei (Okoubaka) and Ammi visnaga (Toothpick Weed).
    Alcohol content: 67% v/v.
    * Organically grown.

Unlike some of these tictures, it doesn't taste bad. A bit like whisky I think.
    Thanks. I should have just looked it up on the web shouldn't I?

I'll have to order some.

Article in the Independent about Hayfever in Britain
    Why global warming is to blame for Britain's hay fever epidemic

http://news.independent.co.uk/enviro...icle364611.ece

I don't seem to be suffering this year like I was, have drunk more herbal tea, and I REALLY think it helps. It can't hurt, huh. I am SURE I was worse as well when I was still eating dairy, so full of mucous. I don't miss that at all. I too use the salt-water nasal spray when I have too, it's awful but does help. My father swears by using salt to heal so many things!
    Dynamic Harmlessness

Quote Gorilla
    i use herbal eye drops from Holland & Barrett which are vegan, they're called Vizulize i think. there are also nasal sprays you can get which are mostly salt water, they clear my nose out really well. i've been using Potter's which i think is vegan (i hope so!!!) and is also from H&B. for my sore throat i use Herbon lozenges which defo are vegan, from, guess where, H&B.

hope this helps
    I went into H&B today to find the eye drops but the women said they have never done anything that goes straight onto the eye like that, and I should go to my pharmacist for eye drops. She told me to get some camomile tea, and brew the tea, let the teabag cool down and place them on your eye. This stops the itching. Did you definatly get it from there
    (5/05/06)

i'm getting struck this year. some years i have it better than others...

my husband eats local honey, and he hasn't been having any problems so far this year.

i think i'll look into going straight to the pollen!
    hannah, 28 (vegan), bryce, 28 (ovolacto), xylia born january 2005 (vegan)

Quote Christie
    I went into H&B today to find the eye drops but the women said they have never done anything that goes straight onto the eye like that, and I should go to my pharmacist for eye drops. She told me to get some camomile tea, and brew the tea, let the teabag cool down and place them on your eye. This stops the itching. Did you definatly get it from there
    yes, definitely! maybe your local store doesn't sell them but i know for sure the Brighton branch of H&B sells at least two different kinds of eye drops - Vizulize (sp?) and Allerclear.

i've never tried putting camomile tea bags on my eyes but itchy eyes haven't really been much of a problem for me so far this year. i just feel like my head's stuffed full of cotton wool and i have really bad sinus pain. nothing seems to be helping, i've tried essential oils and other natural decongestants etc.

ETA i have a really painful sore throat too, everything i've tried so far has just made it worse! i'm just drinking huge amounts of water so as not to let my throat dry out. i think i have some sort of cold/virus at the same time as well so i don't feel very good at the moment.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

My hayfever has started attacking the last few days. The pollen index for my area is very high at the moment, which is a pain as I have a job interview tomorrow and don't want to be dripping and sneezing everywhere.

I think next year I will eat flowers. Thanks everyone for all the tips.
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

veggiewoman

in the current issue (says JULY 06 on cover)of LIFESCAPE there is a four page article about hayfever :
    http://www.lifescapemag.co.uk/

I think I'm going to have to get me some Luffa.

Roll on winter

I got some Luffa, but the pollen count has been low and I haven't had to try it yet.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Good sperm

I've been using Luffa and it's really good so far. I get hayfever bad until about July so I'm using eyedrops, Luffa nasal spray and tincture.
    As long as I remember to take it regularly its working great.

I seem to have hayfever for the first time ever this year. I'll have to try some of these, the only tablets I've seen have lactose in.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Blueshark

I was using Zirtek. I confess I didnt check the ingredients, but they seem to work.

feral

Xyzal are about the best conventional meds. I tried the Quercin for 6 weeks and didn't find any difference. I have bought a Nasopure Bottle & some neti salt and am finding it great for rinsing my sinus. Being able to rinse with lukewarm water is supposed to be better than the cold water of the sterimar & had the added bonus of being an awful lot cheaper.

Default Allergy medication

Sorry if this question has already been asked, couldn't seem to find a thread, but I get bad hayfever, not just the sniffles, this is full on red eyes, bad throat, sneezing, funny ears (it's like being under water!) but all allergy medication seems to contain lactose I suffered it last year, but I don't think I can for another, any suggestions?!
    Last edited by flutterby; May 25th, 2007 at 09:06 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread
    Dancing in circles on the kitchen floor

cobweb

Default Re: Allergy medication

Don't know if it helps but I use a Jala Neti Pot for nasal irrigation, and 'Audiclear' spray (basically sterile salt water) for my ears, and the two things really help without having to take medicine.

When it's really bad, though, I use Cetrizine oral solution antihistamine .

There is some discussion in the homeopathy thread. My OH took a herbal medication, Luffa (loofah), as recommended by some of the people there, and found it reduced his need to take antihistamines a bit though he still took some. (His allergy is to tree pollen and is over for this year, fortunately.) Butterbur is another one some people take.

Definitely try Luffa, as Harpy said. My BF gets horrendous hayfever and this really helps him...he takes it neat, not in the recommended water.
    Last edited by flutterby; May 25th, 2007 at 09:07 PM. Reason: link removed as threads merged, thanks
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

where do people who take luffa get it from? i searched all over Brighton and couldn't find anywhere that sells it. nearly all the natural remedies in the shops here contain honey/propolis.

i don't know if my hayfever is coming on but for the last few days i've had a really sore throat and dry cough, my throat feels like it's closing up and i can't breathe very well. i've been sneezing a little bit but my nose and eyes aren't as bad as usual, and it's raining so hard i'm not sure it actually is hayfever, but i don't know what could be causing it

Good sperm

It's a Dr Vogel product if that helps, and it's the tincture not the pills

i know, but i can't find it anywhere. everywhere online only seems to have the pills and i don't think i've seen any Vogel products at all in Brighton.

Poor you Gorilla,
    I get my Luffa from my local health-food shop, but I think I've also seen it in Holland-and-Barret. Have you tried there?

i've looked in Holland & Barrett with no luck, but i'll try again. i don't even know if it is hayfever i've got at the moment, i've never had such problems with my throat before and i'm usually better when it rains.

cobweb

Apparently it can be worse when there's a lot of rain and then a short bit of dry in between, as all the stored pollen comes out in a rush

I have a tree pollen allergy and I am so ill today . We have a Goat Willow just a few feet away from the back door and it just sheds seeds all over the place . To be honest I would chop it down right now but am hoping to move soon so it can stay for now - reprieved! .

cobweb

Does anyone else find that their Hayfever tires them right out? . My eyes are so puffy and I just want to sleep .

Quote cobweb View Post
    Does anyone else find that their Hayfever tires them right out? . My eyes are so puffy and I just want to sleep .
    Sometimes. In the past I've had it so mad that my eye lids have literally stuck together. However, I take Echinacia which seems to help.

my hayfever's terrible today. my nose and throat are itchy and tickly, i keep sneezing and i feel really stuffed up there's only so much nettle tea i can drink

My nose has been streaming the last couple of days

It tires me out, makes me hot and sticky and irritable, dehydrates me, and generally isn't much fun.

sorry you're suffering too, Pob.

i noticed dreama suggested echinacea, and i've just managed to find some echinacea tablets in Asda opposite where i work, actually labelled as being vegan - wow hope it helps a bit.

I tried the luffa last year and it just didn't seem to help for me, so I'm back on tablets that do definitely help. They have lactose in though

I ordered the luffa from the A Vogel website, Gorilla.

thanks, i looked for their website before and couldn't find it, but i just did another search and it came up (here). RedWellies has offered to get me some of the tincture from a shop and give it to me at the Bristol fayre, but if for some reason she can't at least i know where i can get it from. it's expensive though, i'm a bit unsure about spending all that money as a couple of people have said it didn't help them.

my boss keeps telling me to eat local honey

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i've just managed to find some echinacea tablets in Asda opposite where i work, actually labelled as being vegan - wow .
    I have some tablets too...Nature's Aid Herbal Range, Echinacea Root. You're not supposed to take them all the time though, or they don't work as well. I take them if I feel run down and think I'm getting a cold.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

yeah, the tablets i bought say only to take them for 2-4 weeks at a time. hopefully by then my hayfever will have cleared up anyway.

hayfever sucks!

Hi all - I have two questions. Sorry if they have been answered elsewhere on the board but I don't have time to read all the posts

1. Does anyone else have allergies to fruit and nuts? I have been told this is called oral allergy syndrome and affects a small percentage of hayfever sufferers. I've had it for years. I just ate a peach and immediately my lips and inside of my mouth swelled up and I got earache This morning I ate a few brasil nuts and my throat started to feel really sore. Its so annoying as I need to eat fruit!!

2. Are there no proper antihistamines that are vegan friendly? I had to take an antihistamine the other day after a severe reaction to my sister's cats. My chest got tight and I was wheezing and couldn't breathe. It was the most extreme reaction I have had and I couldn't think of an alterative to taking a pill