Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hay fever

Default Re: HayFever

1. I have a fairly minor but irritating reaction to some fruits and nuts.
    Strawberries, Avocados and Walnuts all make my mouth slightly sore in the manner your describe. Not enough to stop me eating them, but enough to make me do it carefully. I'm particularly sensitive to them around the lips, so I try to just shove the fruit in without touching my lips with it
    The Walnuts are the worst though - makes my whole mouth feel uncomfortable.

2. Luffa is a natural anti-histamine apparently.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

my daughter is severely allergic to brazil nuts, almonds and mildly to walnuts, she goes into anaphylactic shock. she also suffers from asthma and hayfever. she is also skin sensitive to certain stuffs, avocado, certain plasters......she drew the short straw....

she currently uses piriton liquid to ease hayfever/skin hive due to itching, symptoms...

Quote Cumin View Post
    1. I have a fairly minor but irritating reaction to some fruits and nuts.
    Strawberries, Avocados and Walnuts all make my mouth slightly sore in the manner your describe. Not enough to stop me eating them, but enough to make me do it carefully. I'm particularly sensitive to them around the lips, so I try to just shove the fruit in without touching my lips with it
    The Walnuts are the worst though - makes my whole mouth feel uncomfortable.
    Sounds like you may have it too. Yes walnuts are very hard for me to eat, even a small piece sets me off. I'm ok with avocados. Strawberries are so so. When it gets really bad there is no fruit I can eat Well I still eat them, it just hurts There is some information about it here

Quote Linxie View Post
    My chest got tight and I was wheezing and couldn't breathe. It was the most extreme reaction I have had and I couldn't think of an alterative to taking a pill
    You could try an asthma inhaler. Not sure how vegan they are though (I have them for such reactions).
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Cumin View Post
    2. Luffa is a natural anti-histamine apparently.
    Thanks I'll look into that. I stopped taking anti histamines for my hay fever years ago as they all made me sooooo drowsy. Even the non-drowsy ones

cobweb

Linxie, I am allergic to Kiwi fruits and berries, it is annoying (sometimes I eat strawberries anyway but it's not a clever idea ). I'm also allergic to latex and have a tree pollen allergy, cannot go near strong perfumes/chemicals, etc . I'm a very allergic person! .

I use the oral solution of Cetirizine which is prescribed for my son who has similar allergies/sensitivities. I'm not sure if its totally 'vegan' but i cannot function properly with a sore throat, bleary eyes, itchy ears and headache .

cobweb

BTW for some reason the oral solution doesn't make me drowsy whereas the pills did used to

I must also try Luffa

i'm not allergic to nuts but i do get a sore mouth from eating some fruits, banana seems to be the worst for some reason, and sometimes tomatoes are very difficult to eat. my tongue, gums and lips are quite sensitive and i get through huge amounts of lip balm!

i just can't stop sneezing today and my nose is so sore, it feels really huge and red (it's probably not that noticeable, but it feels it). it's making me so tired, i just want to curl up and go to sleep

I just took two dogs for a walk and seem to be having a reaction to them. I think I am just super sensitive today

Is anyone else still suffering from Hayfever? My hayfever is usually over by June. Well this year it isn't. I'm also recovering from a bad ear infection so this might have taxed my imune system.

Yes - i'm still suffering, although not as bad as 2-6 weeks ago. It was quite severe though.

Might be a Birmingham thing?

I've been taking my own herbal stuff - plus Luffa too.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Good sperm

My hayfever is still going, it's normally over by July, and it's making me wheezy too

Stu

Me too.

BlackCats

I prob have posted this before but I tried New Era homeopathic treatment for hayfever and allergic rhinitis from Holland and Barrett. I just looked it up but it says the tablets do contain lactose. I used this last year and year before, when I was veggie.

I used to have terrible symptoms, really itchy eyes and throat and streaming nose and now I am completely fine. I used to get really bad head and neck aches from sneezing so much. (I probably have sneezed a couple times this year but that's it.)

I don't know if there is a totally vegan version of this but it worked for me.
    I have given the leftover tablets to my friend to try it because she has been on every medication for it from chemist and doctor and none have worked for her.

i think i'm still feeling hayfeverish, although it may be a bit of a cold. but i was feeling very sniffly at the picnic in St James' Park yesterday, and i'm still sneezing a lot today.

Mine's finishing up now. It must have been Frank's miracle cure

I did start unfeasably early this year though.

Gorilla, did the Luffa not work for you then?
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

unfortunately it doesn't really seem to relieve the symptoms much, no. i'll start taking it before the hayfever season next year and see if that helps.

I got an early bout of hayfever last week.

I'm not looking forward to having it again this year

Last year was particularly bad.

I get it right in the corner of my eyes, it becomes very sensitive and irritates small backward growing hairs which rub off my eye lashes.

For the last 8 years, even with high doses of whatever, I have had to remove those hairs. Trust me, it takes about 1-2 weeks to do and I end up with huge black eyes from the rubbing etc - and it only cuts down on the irritation, not cure the issue.

I'm determined this year not to do that.

My herbalist has given me the strongest medicine he has ever given anyone on this subject!

Good - and i've got the Luffa waiting too.

If anyone has found anything new to try and it works for you - please post it.

cobweb

i've been using the Hay-band, Frank, it is good but uncomfortably tight.
    You can do the job yourself - find the acupressure point on the outside of your arm, at the end of the elbow crease (bend your arm and look down to find it). Agitate by wiggling your finger round in it, it does work!.

Also, the good old neti pot - wash your nose out every day with it.

I hear high does of vitamin c are useful. I use a Braur homoepathic remedy with moderate success.

There are some things I have done with my diet that have been effective in dealing with a bad summer/fall sinus problem. I have found salt to be a big culprit in causing sinus allergies and asthma so if you can eat a low salt or salt free diet that should help. As many have said cutting out dairy makes a lot of difference too. One thing that few people want to do but also helps is cutting back on fruits, especially the fresh in season ones. Climate is of course a factor. When I lived in Southwestern New Mexico I never had sniffle one. Now that I'm back in the East there is one over-the-counter med that I rely on in August through October and that is the nasal spray Nasalcrom. It's not a rescue remedy, you have to do it 3 or 4 times a day every day religiously but it does clear me up and side effects are minimal.

Quote cobweb View Post

i've been using the Hay-band,
    Also, the good old neti pot -
    Tell me more about these please.

Quote treehugga View Post
    I hear high does of vitamin c are useful. I use a Braur homoepathic remedy with moderate success.
    Which one do you use?

cobweb

cobweb

cobweb

personally i cannot praise neti pots enough, they really work wonders.

i am sensitive to lots of things, dust mites, pollen, chemicals, animal dander, but using my faithful neti pot means that i am hardly bothered save for a couple of sneezing bouts here and there.

i've tried the luffa again this year and it really hasn't done me any good. can't say i like the sound of neti pots, i hate water going up my nose.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I've had to remove those hairs

The sensitivity was affecting my work.

The other stuff i'm taking seems to have kicked in although I don't think the pollen count has been that high to test it yet the last few days.

I've not ruled out trying some of what has been posted either.

Frank, use acupuncture! I am using it and it seems to really work.... I dunno anything about how acupuncture works but aparently people with hay fever normally have their kidney flow of energy blocked and once they unblock it, it's all good!

anyone else found this year has been the worst yet? i'm on prescription drugs and herbal rememdies and still feel like someone is sticking needles in my eyes while simultaneously running a tap through my nose, tickling my throat and stamping on my head. awful. i want to scratch my face off

Quote Manzana View Post
    Frank, use acupuncture! I am using it and it seems to really work.... I dunno anything about how acupuncture works but aparently people with hay fever normally have their kidney flow of energy blocked and once they unblock it, it's all good!
    Where did they put the needles?

Strangely enough, I have acupuncture with my physio. I had 16 needles in my back yesterday for well over an hour. I wonder if that's helping a bit.

On acupuncture, I believe it stimulates endorphins which act as pain relievers etc.

Hi Frank,

My physio once did a tiny bit of accupuncture (but this was not realted to my hayfever but some previous whiplash thing) and when i told this acupuncturist guy, he said that physios only know very little acupuncture (they only train a couple of days or so whereas acupuncturists train for 3 years!)...

The proper acupuncturist guy put needles in my neck, face, feet and a couple in my hands... it sounds pretty awful but it was actually not too bad!!! I will let you know if it works for good or if it is just short term relieve, so far I have only had one session but I felt amazing for 24h after that!

Glad Ive found this thread Il have a read up here later, I get bad hayfever and the last weeks been worse, Tried luffa last year but it didnt seem to help, trying again this year drops and spray, the only thing that seems to work for me is the prescription ones or chemists ones which i hate taking.

I cant not take anything due to work - id be snuffling and red watery eyed non stop!

Mines worse early morning and eves especially as i walk to the train through the park and walk Jed in the nature reserve in the evenings.

Strangely enough I was okay yesterday - until I went to an air conditioned pub/club last night.

My itchy eyes went crazy. I guess the air conditioning unit there has been recycling crap. Maybe they need to change their filter?

My eyes water if the air con is on in the car and blasting right at me!

Same in our air conned rooms at work or if the office fans on me they start watering!

I'm okay with the aircon in the car - despite the unfortunate over usage of fuel.

I guess that's due to a new filter etc.

i tried the qu-chi acupressure band for my hayfever. my mate read about it in the press in ireland. have to say its genius! highly recommend it.. this is the article he sent me

http://www.irishnews.com/articles/61...6Easemysu.html

Thanks for the link.

I've ordered one and will give it a go.

1.3 Million Hay Fever Sufferers In The UK Will Be At Work With The Symptoms Of A Hangover

• Workers with hay fever feel ‘hungover’ at work – despite not drinking

• Hay fever will cost British businesses £324 million this summer

At least 9% of people will be sitting at work ‘hungover’ this summer as their hay fever renders them unproductive, irritable and feeling unwell.

With the worst time in the hay fever calendar - mid-June - fast approaching, 25% of sufferers will feel sluggish and sleepy, enduring headaches as they struggle through the day.

The poll, conducted by Lloydspharmacy reveals that around 1.3million hay fever sufferers in the UK will be at work with the symptoms of a hangover. Chris Frost, head of Medicines for Lloydspharmacy commented: “Many people suffering from a bout of hay fever suffer symptoms like dehydration, irritability, drowsiness and nausea – very reminiscent of the after effects of an over enthusiastic night on the tiles. Combined with the dry, sore eyes that characterise hay fever, trying to focus on work can be almost impossible”.

The National Pollen and Aerobiology Research Unit (NPARU) at Worcester University say that the peak of the hayfever season will be next week (16th June), despite a wet start to the season.

A key contributor to the hay fever hangover effect is the antihistamine medication taken by many sufferers which is likely to make around a quarter of them drowsy and slow off the mark.

The after-effects of the medication seem to have more of an effect on female workers: the ‘hay fever hangover’ is more likely to be felt by twice as many women (12%) than men (6%).

This June’s ‘hay fever hangovers’ won’t only be a problem for employees. British businesses stand to lose £324 million in lost productivity and lost days as a result of hay fever symptoms according to the leading community pharmacy chain.

The runny noses and itchy eyes resulting from hay fever attacks are responsible for around 4 million days taken off work every year. Hay fever affects roughly 15 million people in the UK. Many sufferers claim the symptoms make their lives a living hell for several weeks during the summer.

Lloydspharmacy conducted the research into hay fever at work to mark the launch of a campaign to raise awareness of the plight of hay fever sufferers in the UK.

Chris Frost says:“Everyone who has ever suffered even mild symptoms of hay fever knows just how frustrating a condition it is. Many of the symptoms are indeed similar to a hangover, or even flu. This can be tough for sufferers as it holds them back at work and they haven’t even had a drink to deserve it!

“A combination of a wet winter and a high birch pollen count could see large amounts of pollen in the atmosphere this summer. As a result we are expecting to see more sufferers in our pharmacies – perhaps many who have never had hay fever before - looking for a way to ease their symptoms.

“I would advise sufferers to be well prepared so they can help to avoid hay fever getting in the way of their work and social life. We’re seeing handheld allergy relieving devices becoming very popular. They work using red light therapy to treat sensitivity in the nose and can offer long term relief with only a few minutes’ use a day. In the office, air purifiers can ease symptoms and take up very little room”, Frost continued.

''1.3 Million Hay Fever Sufferers In The UK Will Be At Work With The Symptoms Of A Hangover''

I guess if you have a hangover too then you are really in trouble!!

Indeed

Well this week ive been trying to work out why ive felt so tired, achey and grumpy - i nearly fell asleep in yesterdays meeting

Each morning i walk up the road and as soon as i go out my eyes go so watery, right pain. I atcually managed about 6-7 hours sleep last night usually im up several times all snuffly.

Im blasting it with luffa, a nose spray, vit c powder and eye drops and have got some tablets if it gets really bad at work - but am trying to avoid them.

Hope it improves soon

Thought this might be useful for some people.

What causes hay fever?

Hay fever is an allergic reaction to pollen and sometimes fungal spores.

Plants and pollen

Grass pollen is the most common cause of hay fever, followed by trees and weeds, then flowers. You can be allergic to one, some or many different types of plants but because they all release pollen at different times of the year, you probably won't suffer for the whole season. Phew!

A rough guide to pollen release
    Spring - tree pollen, i.e. birch, hazel, oak
    Summer - grass pollen
    Autumn - wild flowers

A 'pollen count' refers to the number of grains of pollen in the air, per cubic metre. During the peak months of June and July, the pollen count can be as high as 200 but it can take just 10 grains per cubic metre to trigger an allergic reaction.

Pollen, pollen everywhere!

The amount of pollen in the air depends on the weather as well as the time of year. On fine, sunny days, plants release lots of pollen grains. These rise up through the atmosphere on warm air currents and float back down once the air starts to cool. That's why the pollen count is usually at its peak just before 9am and again between 3pm and 7pm.

I've been tearing my eyes out big time this evening - and i've been in pretty much all of today

Well - here we are again.

I really thought my treatments were going to work this year.

My herbalist has a 100% cure rate for hay fever sufferers - except me!

We've tried over the years and I thought we had cracked it this year.

I actually managed to spend 3 weekends out of the last six working out in the garden - reducing hedges etc etc.

Paid for it today though.

Despite the herbal stuff - and other remedies - whilst working in the garden I wear goggles, breathing mask, hat, sealed clothes (which I strip out of at the end of the day before jumping in the shower) - but am paying for it now.

This normally takes up to two weeks to get off my chest - and then to be left with itchy eyes until maybe September.

My gardening is now over for this year(!)

I hope my chest is okay in time for Bristol next weekend

sorry to hear you've got it bad Frank - how did you hold up at Bristol?

i've got it bad at the moment as well. have you seen these gadgets that shine red light up your nose, with the idea of stopping histamine production? i half-considered getting one but i thought it sounded a bit unlikely to work, and then i read that they make your nose glow red when you use them!

Quote Gorilla View Post
    sorry to hear you've got it bad Frank - how did you hold up at Bristol?
    I was meaning to post back last week.

A false alarm for hayfever. What I had was viral and not hayfever and that's what my herbalist treated me for.

As far as hayfever goes - my eyes have only just mildy started to itch. I'm not at that stage yet were I tear the hairs out of my eyelids

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i've got it bad at the moment as well. have you seen these gadgets that shine red light up your nose, with the idea of stopping histamine production? i half-considered getting one but i thought it sounded a bit unlikely to work, and then i read that they make your nose glow red when you use them!
    Red lights? I've not heard of this and thought you were winding me up!

We are going to have to get one of the forum techies to explain how this solution works.

However, when you get something bad - you'll try anything.

I tried that hayband last year. That did not work for me.

Quote Frank View Post
    Red lights? I've not heard of this and thought you were winding me up!
    Lloyds Pharmacy hay fever reliever

it doesn't sound very plausible to me, but i wonder if anyone else here has tried it?

glad to hear you're not getting actual hay fever at the moment.

My hayfever is now with me big time.

I'd thought i'd done well so far.

Basically my eyes were so very very itchy I had to do the dreaded deed of removing the ingrowing hairs in the corner of my eyes.

They grow and intermingle with the outgrowing hairs and this makes a non-stop itching during hayfever.

It took me 7 hours to do and I went to bed at 5am this morning. Amazingly, I slept for a record 8 hours.

My face does not look pretty today - but then, well, you get to live with these issues

Sounds pretty awful Frank...

I was having pretty bad Hay Fever last week but got sent to the other side of the Globe by work so now I am enjoying lovely winter! (not recommended in terms of Carbon emissions but it was work not pleasure related!)

^ Where did you end up?