Thread: Questions about being a Healthy Vegan

Default Questions about being a Healthy Vegan

I am not a vegan yet, but that is my goal. As much as I've read on this forum that vegans can be quite healthy, I am very concerned about getting proper nutrition. With that in mind, I have some questions:

Is there a multi-vitamin or supplement, that packs in a lot of the essentials one would need as a vegan? and if so, are they reliable sources?

What foods, or more specifically meals, contain good sources for these nutrients? I really would like to eat meals at breakfast, lunch and dinner that each pack in a lot of nurtrients for the day.

Is taking Udo's choice oil, Dr. schulzes superfood and Red star Nutritional Yeast (all 3 of them) on a daily basis a good way to stay healthy? I have heard them all mentioned here and would like to know what they provide, and how I can incorporate them into meals, dressings etc..........deliciously of course!

Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated. I really would like to make sure that I get everything I need nutritionally, without stressing to badly over it............thanks in advance for your help!!!

FR

Default Re: Questions about being a Healthy Vegan

A well-balanced vegan diet will provide you with adequate nutrition. There are plenty of FAQ's here which explain this. In most cases, non-vegans are more prone to nutrient deficiencies than vegans. You do not need to take a multi-vitamin if you consume a well-rounded diet and include foods fortified with natural b-12.

Personally, I do take a vegan multi-vitamin just as "insurance" as some days I may not include leafy greens, or enough fruit, etc.

Hi Crystal, this thread might interest you:
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=811
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Quote crystal77
    Is there a multi-vitamin or supplement, that packs in a lot of the essentials one would need as a vegan? and if so, are they reliable sources?
    Solgar makes a formula V for veg*ns. I would not count on it for anything but insurance. Studies have shown that fruits and vegetables are more protective than taking the vitamins and minerals they are known to contain.

The only potential problem with multis that I see is competition within: zinc and copper, for example, compete for the same receptor sites and sometimes absorption can be hindered when they are taken at the same time.

Aside from that, you could consider limiting your 18:2 polyunsaturated fats, keeping your 18:2:18:3 ratio 4:1 or lower, and supplementing with DHA.

What foods, or more specifically meals, contain good sources for these nutrients? I really would like to eat meals at breakfast, lunch and dinner that each pack in a lot of nurtrients for the day.
    You can use the tools at nutritiondata.com to help determine which foods are the best sources of which micronutrients. The overall winner is generally leafy greens; the darker, the better. Another rule is that the more non-starchy vegetables your diet contains, the more likely you are to satisfy most of your DRIs. But you will need a reliable source of B12, which is something that leaves are not likely to provide. USDA nutrient database, for example, lists B12 contents of all leaves in the monocot and dicot groups as zero.

Is taking Udo's choice oil, Dr. schulzes superfood and Red star Nutritional Yeast (all 3 of them) on a daily basis a good way to stay healthy?
    No, these will be most beneficial to the pocketbooks of Dr. Udo, Dr. Schultz, and the Red Star CEOs. 1 T of ground flaxseed per day and limiting processed vegetable oils is a good idea. And maybe an algae-based DHA supplement, but it will be expensive.

Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated. I really would like to make sure that I get everything I need nutritionally, without stressing to badly over it............thanks in advance for your help!!!
    Don't eat junk, don't eat too many grains, and don't limit vegetables. If you must have extra fat, make it extra virgin olive oil, avocado, and raw nuts/seeds.

Quote marika5
    Don't eat junk, don't eat too many grains, and don't limit vegetables. If you must have extra fat, make it extra virgin olive oil, avocado, and raw nuts/seeds.
    Sorry Marika, but I totally disagree. I eat huge helpings of vegetables, as well as normal portions of grains and fats (legumes and fruit), and I am skinny as a rake. If I limited my grains and fats, I would look like an emaciated anorexic, as well as feeling unsatisfied. Very few people could survive like this. I know you have shown sources to your knowledge, but in my opinion that is extreme living for people who want to live their lives, not have their lives run by food.

The best, most practical way to eat healthily as a vegan is to choose wholegrains, rather than refined, regularly consume fresh fruit and vegetables, beans/legumes and nuts and to choose healthy fats when cooking or dressing foods, like olive oil or flaxseed oil. Junk food, excess sugar and salt should obviously be kept to a minimum.