Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: The Body Shop - what a crock!

veggiewoman

Default Re: The Body Shop - what a crock!

OMG , did anybody see the Heaven and Earth show today, I was channel hopping when I saw them saying they were going to be talking to her so I stayed tuned and heard her say this when asked about the negative media she has been recieving about her selling to L'oreal-an animal testing company. Her reply was "you can't always get it right so you just got to say up your bum" !!!!!!!

When are cosmetic (personal care) companies who profiles themelves as being "natural" stop using harmful chemicals in their products such as methyl paraben and propyl paraben?...."Lush" also uses chemicals, unfortunately. I wouldn't be as upset if they didn't use the "natural' image. Hypocrites.

These vegan friendly NATURAL products looks great www.aubrey-organics.com
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Angry OMG - get this!!!

From Anita Roddick's personal blog (beware - the picture may make you nauseous. It did me), posted on April 30, 2003 by Anita herself, and entitled "Dispatch - Because you're not worth it." I realise this is common knowledge to many, but is well worth reading for those, like me, who missed this little "gem" the first time around. *fumes*

"Does the beauty industry hate women? I've been saying so for years. The fact that L'Oreal is being sued for attempting to fire a saleswoman in California for not being "hot" enough only confirms it for me yet again.

The Age reports:

It was not the kind of order that Elysa Yanowitz, a regional sales manager for a giant cosmetics company, was used to hearing.

After a top executive of her company, L'Oreal, visited the perfume department of a Macys store in San Jose, she said, he ordered her to fire a saleswoman for not being sexy enough.

In court papers, Ms. Yanowitz said his words were: "Get me somebody hot."

A few weeks later when the executive, John Wiswall, General Manager of L'Oreal's designer fragrance division, again visited the store, he discovered that she had not dismissed the saleswoman and, Ms. Yanowitz said, he told her: "Didnt I tell you to get rid of her?"

Later, Ms. Yanowitz said in a sworn statement, as the two passed an attractive blonde woman, Mr. Wiswall said: "Get me one that looks like that."
    An industry that thrives on making women feel insecure and inadequate apparently extends its abuse to its own employees. When Yanowitz refused to fire the woman - of Middle-Eastern descent and a top saleswoman for the region - she was systematically made miserable in her job and eventually forced to leave. She is suing for sexual harassment.

This case goes to an important core of the beauty industry: the one that promotes unattainable ideals and sabotages self-esteem. If he thinks like the rest of the beauty industrys male leaders, that L'Oreal executive presumably wanted a "hot" woman behind the counter to make potential customers feel less attractive by comparison and drive more sales. The thinking here - that women can be played off of one another in a pathetic competition of insecurity and consumption - should insult any half-intelligent woman.

More power to Ms. Yanowitz. Even if she doesn't win, she has helped shed another, valuable light on the grotesque inner workings of an industry hell-bent on making women feel inferior."

How can anyone be so two-faced? I am really disappointed. It feels like you can't trust anyone anymore.

a didgeridoo

I completely agree Fiamma. I hardly ever used to buy anything at the Bodyshop – but now I won’t buy anything from em after that unprincipled sell-out

I've sent a reply of disgust. I supported them due to their supportive domestic violence campaign (I'm a domestic vioelnce social worker), but this is just too much!

errrrr- why is there even a thread dedicated to the body shop? there are more important things

I guess because they were regarded as such an ethical company who didn't test on animals, so lots of people supported them because of it. So it's a worry when a company like this gets bought out by a very unethical company and we should let them know it loud and clear otherwise it looks like we condone it.

Yuck and my mum wants me to shop there!! Don't think so!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote mophoto
    errrrr- why is there even a thread dedicated to the body shop? there are more important things
    I don't think you should presume to speak for everyone on the board. Judging by the responses it obviously is of importance to people here.

Quote kriz
    When are cosmetic (personal care) companies who profiles themelves as being "natural" stop using harmful chemicals in their products such as methyl paraben and propyl paraben?...."Lush" also uses chemicals, unfortunately. I wouldn't be as upset if they didn't use the "natural' image. Hypocrites.

aubrey stuff is lovely. i have the Rosa Mosqueta nourishing shampoo. all the ingredients are natural and it smells lovely. its not that difficult to get vegan shampoo but this is the only one ive ever seen that is completely natural and my hair loves it!
    it is a lil bit expensive but it lasts for ages. i tried the hair dye as well and its lovely too. its got 4 herbs in it and thats all, nothink else and after i used it my hair felt and looked thicker and shinier than it has been for ages

The Body Shop have now been bought out be L'oreal who test on Animals! I was completely shocked by the news & won't be shopping there ever again, its Animal Aid all the way now!
    Purple Monkey! :)

Quote mophoto
    Because a huge number of people shop there believing their money is going to a good place.
    And a lot of these people would rather know the truth about where their money is going.

VeganJohn

Go to LUSH instead, I have some shower gel from there at the minute that is just immense.

Agreed Lush is gorgeous- And clearly marked what is vegan with the green dots!!!
    "Eating responsibly at McDonald's is like going to a strip club for iced tea."

Is this the big jelly looking stuff they weigh out?
    It looks amazing, I'm always so curious!
    It reminds me of the Original Source stuff.
    I love Lush!

That jelly type stuff is nice. The good thing about lush is that if you're curious Troutina, you can ask for a sample and they will give you a freebie. They will usually give you a few samples of different products if you put on the 'i'm curious about ALL your products' face!!
    "Human Freedom, Animal Rights, One Struggle, One Fight!!"

Ooh great tip!!
    I'll have to start practicing my 'I'm curious about ALL your products' face

Default Boycott The Body Shop - New Campaign

BOYCOTT THE BODY SHOP
    FIRST NATIONAL DAY OF PROTEST

DATE: Monday 26th June 2006

LOCATION: The Body Shop Headquarters, Watersmead, Littlehampton,
    West Sussex BN17 6LS
    Naturewatch staff will be there to welcome you

TIME: 8.00am until after lunch

PLEASE JOIN US ON MONDAY 26TH JUNE AND BE A "VOICE FOR THE VOICELESS."

Please telephone Katie on 01242 252871 or send an email to katie@naturewatch.org to confirm attendance and to supply a telephone number for any last minute updates.

L’Oréal now owns The Body Shop.
    L’Oréal uses animals to test cosmetics and is the largest user of animals for this purpose in the world. L’Oréal hides its use of animals from customers.
    L’Oréal has backed legal attempts to prevent an EU law banning the use of animals for the development of cosmetics, coming into force from 2013.
    The profit from Body Shop purchases will go to L’Oréal in France and could be used to fund more animal testing.
    81% of the public oppose using animals for developing cosmetics and toiletries (MORI 2002).

As you may know, since 1998 Naturewatch has promoted a boycott of L'Oreal, and its subsidiaries, due to its use of animal tested ingredients. The ethos of The Body Shop has always been, "If you are not happy with animal testing for cosmetics then boycott those companies who use animals." This philosophy is also the core of the Naturewatch Compassionate Shopping Guide policy. We use this in relation to the policy of the parent company, as the profits generated by a subsidiary company will go to the parent company, its shareholders and could be used for animal testing.

Following the first national day of protest on 26th June, we will continue promoting the Body Shop Boycott by encouraging peaceful demonstrations outside Body Shops throughout the country. We have posters available and petitions/pledge sheets can be downloaded from our website for you to collect the signatures of people who will no longer be shopping at the Body Shop because of the takeover. Our website has further information about this campaign including flyers that can be downloaded and printed off. Please visit www.naturewatch.org

If you haven't already got a copy of the Naturewatch Compassionate Shopping Guide -
    please order a copy today

If you haven't already sent us your Body Shop 'Love Your Body' card – please do so today
    Body Shop Boycott colour flyers are available on our website to
    print off (pdf. file of 3 flyers on an A4 sheet)

w w w. n a t u r e w a t c h. o r g

Naturewatch
    CAMPAIGNING AGAINST ANIMAL CRUELTY
    14 Hewlett Road, Cheltenham GL52 6AA
    Telephone: 01242 252871 Email: info@naturewatch.org

veggiewoman

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...es/5114976.stm

Last Updated: Monday, 26 June 2006, 01:26 GMT 02:26 UK
    E-mail this to a friend Printable version
    Body Shop row over animal testing

Naturewatch claims customers are turning away from The Body Shop

Campaigners opposed to the use of ingredients tested on animals are to stage a protest outside the West Sussex headquarters of The Body Shop.
    French cosmetics giant, L'Oreal, bought the Littlehampton-based business for £625m earlier this year.
    Animal welfare group Naturewatch said it would continue to stage protests until L'Oreal phased out the use of such ingredients.
    L'Oreal has said it has not been involved in animal testing since 1989.
    It added that certain ingredients used in its products had been for safety reasons.
    'Letters of support'
    The first Body Shop opened in Brighton 30 years ago.
    Supporters of the company put part of its success down to its refusal to test products on animals.
    The demonstration will take place outside the Littlehampton offices on Monday morning. Naturewatch claims to have received letters and emails of support from previously loyal Body Shop customers and employees who are dismayed by the sale.

Quote just_a_grrrl
    I was at the body shop and I asked if something I was buying was vegan and the girl working there said taht EVERYTHING was vegan. I bought a few things and then when I got home realised that none of it was actually vegan.
    its really funny u should say that actually as my bro went there for my b'day and asked if their stuff was vegan and the shop assistant said "yes everything is" i think alarm bells rang as my bro left without buying anything. aren't the body shop owned by loreal now? well known for a) using anorexic models in their ads (strike one body shop- hypocrites!) and b) testing on animals.....

i wouldn't go there if i was paid too

lush are amazing, they put green stickers next to all their vegan products which are like 75% of shop, also their lip balms are vegan, well one or two of them are- i have one, its yummy and makes my lips feel amazing!

x

This is the (probably generic) email they sent me in repsonse to my complaint about being bought by L'oreal. They fail to answer the direct question: why did she sell out by giving an apparently caring company to one known for animal testing, shall i bother replying with that view or just leave it?

Email they sent me:

Thank you for your email.

For 30 years The Body Shop has been a force for positive social and environmental change across the world. In more than 2000 stores across the world we operate our business according to five core principles: Support Community Trade, Defend Human Rights, Against Animal Testing, Activate Self-Esteem, and Protect Our Planet.

The news that the boards of L’Oreal and The Body Shop have reached an agreement on the terms of a recommended cash offer made by L’Oreal will not alter the principles of The Body Shop. The Body Shop intends to remain a pioneering ethical retailer offering affordable prestige quality products and campaigning for social and environmental change.

Let us be clear, The Body Shop is an ethically-driven company. For example, through determined campaigning and with the support of over four million customers, The Body Shop was instrumental in securing UK and European bans on animal testing for cosmetic purposes. We were the first international cosmetics brand to be awarded the Humane Cosmetics Standard for our Against Animal Testing policy, which is viewed as best practice by leading animal welfare groups. Our policy ensures that we will not purchase any ingredient that has been tested or retested on animals for cosmetic purposes since at least 31 December 1990. We intend to continue to demand that all of our suppliers adhere to our standards, and our strict audit systems will remain in place to safeguard the integrity of our Against Animal Testing Policy.

In 2005, the Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty Against Animals (RSPCA) applauded The Body Shop for its commitment to this principle. This month (March 2006) The Body Shop was selected as “Best Cruelty Free Cosmetics” in the first PETA Europe Progress Awards. We are incredibly proud of both these honours. We have never tested our products or ingredients on animals, nor commissioned others to do so on our behalf.

Over 15 years ago The Body Shop created its own fair trade programme called Community Trade. By satisfying our demand for ingredients, gifts and accessories in a fair way we help create sustainable trading relationships with marginalised communities around the world. Working with 30 suppliers across 23 countries Community Trade benefits the lives of more than 15,000 families. From Australia to Zambia, we source ingredients such as tea tree oil, sesame oil, babassu oil, honey, beeswax and cocoa butter from small scale farmers who secure a fair price for their goods, and in many cases a social premium to benefit their whole community. Community Trade has supported the building of wells, schools, community centres and the supply of educational materials across the world. We are deeply proud of the positive impact Community Trade has upon our suppliers.

The Body Shop is also campaigning to Stop Violence in the Home. In 2005 the campaign reached 35 markets across the four The Body Shop Regions. The campaign raises funds and awareness about domestic violence helping to protect the victims of domestic violence. Our approach is positive, empowering and ultimately seeks to change peoples' perceptions of domestic violence all over the world.

From our on-going commitment to end animal testing in the cosmetics industry and the launch of our first Community Trade product to our global campaign to Stop Violence in the Home, running in more than 35 countries across the world, The Body Shop has shown consistently that business has the power to make the right kind of difference to the world. Now we have an amazing opportunity to influence the world’s largest cosmetics company on these issues.

L’Oréal has stated that it has great respect for The Body Shop identity as a successful, global, naturally-oriented company with a distinct heritage based on strong and well defined values. Furthermore, L'Oreal have stated that, should the offer succeed, The Body Shop would retain its existing identity and values and use this transaction as a platform for further expansion of The Body Shop's values with support from L’Oréal. We applaud their intentions and hope that our customers will do the same.

Yours sincerely,

UK Customer Relations

that's the same email they sent to me, Skajen. i don't think they responded personally to anybody that contacted them about the sale, because they ignored all the points i'd made as well. i didn't bother emailing them again
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

hi Ali, yeah i thought i'm not letting this go and so replied with the following:

Thankyou for your generic reply. Although I'm sure everything you say is true, it still skims over the fact the body shop has sold itself out to a cruel company who continue to test on animals. Body shop may not test on animals but the money behind it does and most people won't stand for this. No amount of PR and principles can escape from this fact. I will contine to spread the message to boycott body shop to all I know. I'm very sorry that the body shop has done this, as it has reduced the number of cruelty-free places myself and others like me can shop.

Kind regards

Whats the betting they completly ignore me, ah well. I'm gonna spread the message as best I can. Does anyone know where i can pick up boycott bodyshop leaflets to distribute?

jen xxx

nice one Jen

Naturewatch may have some literature they could send you. they arranged a protest outside the Body Shop's headquarters a couple of weeks ago, so i think they're doing all they can to get the message across.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

they didn't have vouchers but printed off a petition. will get as many people as possible to sign it!

xx

Default The body shop, no longer?

was just having a look at some sites, looks like the body shop isnt doing to well:

The Body Shop sold out

On 18 March news broke that The Body Shop had been sold to French cosmetics giant L'Oreal for $1.5 billion. CCF has sent re-accreditation forms to both The Body Shop and L'Oreal. In the past L'Oreal have repeatedly declined to fill out the application.

There are some things you just don't expect to happen and the sale of The Body Shop to L'Oreal was certainly one of them.

The Body Shop was founded by Anita Roddick in 1976 in England. Over the last thirty years it has grown into a global brand by adhering to a strict set of moral values: no animal testing, human rights, the environment, a positive self image for women. The Body Shop prospered because people wanted to support its values and they wanted to believe there could be such a thing as a successful ethical business. The recent sale feels a little like finding out Father Christmas doesn't exist. The sale seems even more unbelievable considering Anita Roddick has in the past been so openly critical of cosmetics companies such as L'Oreal which insist that women feel ashamed of their own bodies. Not long ago Ms Roddick openly attacked L'Oreal for employing only 'sexy' women on its sales counters.

L'Oreal certainly does not claim to hold any of the admirable values we associate with The Body Shop. They have consistently refused to answer questions about the animal testing of their ingredients, despite numerous approaches from animal rights organisations including Choose Cruelty Free, English based Naturewatch and the American group PETA. They are part owned by Nestle, a powerful multinational widely criticised for its unethical practices, including the aggressive marketing of baby milk in third world countries where women can least afford it.
    Last edited by flutterby; Jul 8th, 2006 at 11:01 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread.

dresdown

Default Loreal will takeover The Body Shop..... Not Good

Loreal will takeover The Body Shop

The global cosmetics giant Loreal have today agreed to take over ethical
    high street retailer, The Body Shop. In a deal worth around £130 million to The Body Shop's founder, Anita Roddick, its hard to get past the fact that money makes the world go round. Ethical businesses are no stranger to takeovers; UniLever bought Ben & Jerry's, McDonald's acquired Pret A Manger and Cadburys Schwepps recently tookover Green & Black's. So what are we to make of this latest takeover?

Loreal might have abandoned animal testing in 1989 but they continue to be part owned by Nestle (and I needn't go down that route). Anita Roddick, who will continue as consultant for now, says "it's a gift", indicating that Loreal want to learn more about ethics and community trade. The Body Shop has a wealth of ethical enterprise to teach Loreal. In the eighties, they campaigned for reusing and recycling their bottles, when most didn't give a minute's thought to our landfill problem. The Body Shop use natural ingredients, fairly traded where possible and are famously against animal testing. They (or should we say, Roddick) leads the way supporting campaigns against poverty, human rights and domestic violence.

So have The Body Shop sold out? It is proposed that The Body Shop will be maintained as a standalone entity. Chris Bones, Principal at Henley Management College, states that for a successful takeover Loreal need to stay true to the reasons for the deal and respect the Body Shop customer. He warns that they may be a culture clash. We can only wait and see how the takeover will affect both sides involved

News Link
    Last edited by Korn; Sep 4th, 2006 at 08:24 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

if anyone's interested, i read the other day that the Body Shop's profits have so far not been affected at all since the takeover by L'Oreal, despite fears that many people would boycott them.

Well at least they haven't risen, right
    That sucks, for some reason I actually thought a difference would be made..

i havent been in the body shop for years.

Quote Troutina View Post
    Well at least they haven't risen, right
    That sucks, for some reason I actually thought a difference would be made..
    I didn't think so. Most of their customers are regular old omnis who pretend to care about enviromental issues and such.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

poo101

Hi i'm an A level student and was wonderin if any1 could kindly help me out by sending some research regarding the body shop taking over L'Oreal, any ehtical research on their products, impacts on the body shop after take over etc.
    Please help!
    Thanks
    another email address is theonewiththegun007@hotmai.com

So, I don't mean to drag up a dead thread, but I went into the body shoppe the other day, and the sales girl assured me that everything in the store was "vegetarian" and that they were coming up with more and more vegan products. She didn't seem to be bullshitting me - she looked over ingredients with me to point out which ones contained lanolin, honey, and beeswax. She was extremely helpful, bring out all the information she had to help me choose the products. The website also proclaims this information now.

I know - buyer beware the claims of websites, but I was wondering if they were always like this, or if perhaps something changed for them in the last year and a half, or for Loreal.

Perhaps this new effort is to try to make up for the damage that being owned by Loreal has caused them? How can they make this claim:

"Testing cosmetics on animals is scientifically unnecessary and morally wrong. We were the first company to take that position and we'll be the last to
    let it go."

...if the money gets funnelled back to more testing? Or does it remain self contained at all? I mean, I'm way new to this - my toiletries just started running out since I went veg*n, so I'm sort of doing this for the first time and I'd like to do it right. I've been looking for the jumping rabbit symbol, but I haven't found it anywhere, not on things that claim to be cruelty free and animal product free even. I thought it would be easy enough to look at ingredients and check that there was no testing but...

apparantly not!

*confused*
    "Happiness, not in another place, but this place, not for another hour, but this hour." ~Walt Whitman

Shells - I imagine the body shop is changing to meet current demand. The L'Oreal takeover hampered the image of the Body Shop so they will be trying to fix that. In addition to image - there are plenty of companies out there now who are doing the same thing. I see you are in the USA but in the UK we have Lush in direct competition with the Body Shop and many other places such as Boots Chemists (UK) offering ranges that are very similar to that of the Body Shop and I imagine it's the same in the US. They promote themselves as an ethical company - their customers like that - so that is one of the main areas they have to concentrate on, if that means changing products to make them suitable for the vegan market and those concerned with animal ingredients in their products then that's what they will do.

Guess who had to do a report on the Body Shop at uni last semester

I had a look a the UK site which lists all of the ingredients for each item but there are various ingredients that I'm not sure about from an animal ingredients point of view and a "I don't want to put that yukky chemical on my skin" point of view. I'll need to have a proper look later.

As for testing, it'll probably be different depending on country but the best way to find out is call their customer services department or write to them asking for clarification.

The EU are banning cosmetic testing on animals and all imported cosmetics must also not have been tested on animals so maybe L-Oreal are trying to clean up their act a little as are Unilever. However they won't ever have my buisness. I'll shop at Lush which is 100% vegetarian and about 75% vegan and all clearly marked. Also enviromentally alot more ethical due to lack of packaging etc.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Didn't BS sell to Loreal?

Yes - hence why I dislike them even more than I did before.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Not sure this is relevant to the overall thread (i.e. that Bodyshop are as animal friendly as people may think) but they're certainly not as "natural" as people may believe.

I've been using Lush Cosmetics for years, even before I became vegan. The only thing I don't get from there is my toothpaste. Anyway, last year for Christmas I was given some bodyshop bubble baths. I could not believe how fake they smelled! You could just tell that they're full of artificial perfumes and god knows what else.

I know some people complain about how strong the smells are in a Lush store (my husband won't go in with me cos it gives him a headache) but at least that means you can tell they're sourced from real, natural ingredients!
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

RebeccaDye

I could not believe how fake they smelled! You could just tell that they're full of artificial perfumes and god knows what else.

I know some people complain about how strong the smells are in a Lush store (my husband won't go in with me cos it gives him a headache) but at least that means you can tell they're sourced from real, natural ingredients!
    That's so bloody true!!

I don't go in the Body Shop when I go to the mall because there are never any customers in the store. The sales girls just hang around the edge of the store and watch people walk by like a bunch of starving vultures. Ughh, it gives me the creeps. I think around here, Bath&Body Works has just about put them out of business.

Quote jjdaiquiri View Post
    yeah, ive had this experience too.

at Origins.... they have this whole "natural" thing going on... so i thought maybe more of thier products would be plant based......nope.

at the sales girl was like "no there are not animal products in our items" while i pointed out the words glycerin and lanolin!!!

HELLO! DUH!!!
    Glycerin can be animal based but there is also vegetable based one. So if something contains glycerin, it still might be animal friendly (though if its vegetarian one, they would probably mention it).

Quote kriz View Post

plug for Aubrey organics- I love this stuff its great, i am amazed how good it is. I have the basic skinc care stuff, cleanser, moistureriser, toner etc and it is really nice.

Dragging up an old thread to provide a definitive list of non-vegan ingredients at The Body Shop. So long as the product you're looking at doesn't contain any of these, then it is definitely vegan. This is from their latest internal training document.

Beeswax (Cera Alba)

Honey (Mel)

Silk (Hydrolysed Silk)

Cholesterol derivatives (all apart from the first one contain the words Cholesterol or Lanesterol):
    • C10-30
    • Cholesterol/Lanesterol Esters
    • Cholesterol
    • Cholesterol Chloride
    • Cholesterol Nonanoate
    • Cholesterol Oleyl Carbonate
    Lanolin derivatives (all containing the words Lanolin or Lanolate):
    • Acetylated Lanolin
    • Acetylated Lanolin Alcohol
    • Hydroxylated Lanolin
    • Isopropyl Lanolate
    • Lanolin
    • Lanolin Alcohol
    • Lanolin Cera
    • Lanolin Oil
    • PEG-75 Lanolin
    • PPG-12-PEG-50 Lanolin
    • PPG-30 Lanolin Ether
    Basically, if any of the bold words are on the ingredients list, it's not vegan.

All their make up brushes are synthetic nylon and suitable for vegans.

Thanks for that Est. It makes me realise I haven't been in the Body Shop for years now. Does anyone know if they still use parabens etc?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Not sure on that one