Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Body Shop - what a crock!

Default Re: The Body Shop - what a crock!

Lozza, I've emailed the Body Shop before and they replied. They basically said they have never claimed to be a veggie/vegan shop, so do use some animal ingredients. Those are lanolin, beeswax, honey and gelatine. The gelatine is only in their bath gel/oil balls (or whatever you call them!) and they said they want to aim for an alternative to gelatine. Therefore, the glycerine should be of non-animal origin.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

oh good, thankyou

i hadnt tried to email them, cos lots of other vegans i've spoken to online said they are hostile, and hard to get info out of :/

thanks!

One good thing Anita Roddick did achieve, was to bring the horrors of animal testing into the conciousness of the layperson.

Without the Body Shop ever existing, I feel this issue would be much harder to argue.

I bet Yoda was a vegan

Thanks Cloudy. Does anyone know if L'Oreal conduct animal testing?

"Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Default Has Anita Roddick sold out?

The Body Shop has been sold to L'oreal
    It seems to me the 2 companies are incongrous with each others ethics, so I can not understand why it has happened.
    Anita Roddick will make £117 million from the takeover.
    Is it just me or does there seem something really disheartening about what the Body Shop and Anita Roddick has become?

feral

Default Re: Has Anita Roddick sold out?

Well I certainally won't be shopping there any more if it's true! There's a mail order company here in Northern Ireland who does similar stuff to the body shop so they'll be gettin my trade instead.

I found this:

http://today.reuters.co.uk/Investing...-BODY-SHOP.xml

Which says it is true.... although it also says that L'Oreal abandonned their animal research in 1989. However, I still think that it goes against what the BOdy Shop stands for. Why do it?????!!!!

I was under the impression she sold off the Body Shop in the late 90s.

edit. She sold off in April 84. Technically you can make a bid to buy any PLC.

Default body shop - l'oreal

Just read that the body shop are being bought out by cosmetic giant L'oreal. Im so saddened! I know the body shop werent perfectly ethical but were the best thing on the high street in that department. Im totally shocked that Anita Ruddick would sell out to a multinational animal testing unethical company! So, theres another store to add to the boycott list!!!

xxFLame7

(i just posted this in another section cuz i didnt see this thread so apologies for that).

Im totally stunned that its gone to L'oreal. Im amazed at Anita Ruddick allowing it to go to such an unethical company. Why would you spend years building up an ethical company just to let it fall into the hands of some multinational corporation from hell?

well dissapointed!

xxFLame7

I haven't shopped in the Body Shop for many years because of their hypocrisy......they are neither animal nor environmentally friendly.....

Anita Roddick says she despises 'big business' I would love to hear her definition of 'BIG business'...I heard that her and her husband are set to make £18 million instantly from the sale......If that isn't big business I would love to know what is.

love
    stef

Quote Bunny
    I found this:

http://today.reuters.co.uk/Investing...-BODY-SHOP.xml

Which says it is true.... although it also says that L'Oreal abandonned their animal research in 1989. However, I still think that it goes against what the BOdy Shop stands for. Why do it?????!!!!
    L'Oreal are still researching and creating new chemicals which the law in Europe says must be tested on animals before being used in cosmetics. So L'Oreal relies on animal testing to produce products containing these new chemicals.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

saucyvegan

Hi guys. After hearing about The Body Shop selling out (in more ways than one) today to L'Oreal, I decided I dont want to buy their products anymore. And looking through this thread, I dont know why I ever did really. Ive heard about "Beauty Without Cruelty"....does anyone know what their make up products are like? Also, are there any more companies who's products are vegan? Even Lush uses animal products!

Quote saucyvegan
    does anyone know what their make up products are like? Also, are there any more companies who's products are vegan? Even Lush uses animal products!
    This thread may help. I'm sure theres others already as well if you search em.

Has anyone ever used anything from these:-

http://www.bnevertoobusytobebeautiful.com/

I think it's the cosmetic 'branch' of Lush (previously all done by their previous incarnation of 'Cosmetics To Go' they have some great stuff - some of it's a tad pricey - but it doesn't say anywhere if anything is vegan friendly anyone know if they are??

If not I guess I'll have to e-mail them!!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Quote Rob(QG)
    L'Oreal are still researching and creating new chemicals which the law in Europe says must be tested on animals before being used in cosmetics. So L'Oreal relies on animal testing to produce products containing these new chemicals.

Thanks for that ... I didn't realise.

a didgeridoo

I’m certainly not buying any more Bodyshop stuff from now on. (Not that I ever bought much there, being a guy, lol). I was disgusted to hear they’d sold out to L’Oreal.

VeganLiz

Just seen the 10pm news. What a sham Anita Rodderick is. Amazing what £117 million will do to your princiles! I have started buying lots of Green People products. I went off Lush as they still use lots of nasty chemicals in their stuff such as parabens and Sodium lauyl sulphate!

Liz X

Geoff

I REALLY object to the title of this thread and the negative comments from some people.
    The Body Shop was a bloody revolution when it started and has educated more people about issues like animal testing and the plight of indigenous people worldwide.
    Anita Roddick has done more to improve the world than all of us put together. What a shame she's not perfect.
    I lived with a staff member of Brisbane Body Shop so I do have some inside knowledge.

Very true Geoff.

I think with her work most people would be unaware of what's involved in Animal Testing.

Also, what's wrong with someone making money in this world just because they're affiliated with something that's seen to be ethical? The head of Unilever earn's a heck of a lot more...

The biggest shame in all of this is the loss of a High Street identity, but to be honest that's been happening gradually since it went public years ago.

saucyvegan

Well, now that one of the biggest animal testing firms on cosmetics has taken over The Body Shop, id rather buy my make up from elsewhere I think. I jsut went in to The Body Shop and gave my card back and told them why. But on the way back...I was thinking. I really do not want to give L'Oreal any of my money but what if we all kept on buying from TBS, do u think L'oreal will realise that this is where the money is and maybe give L'Oreal a think on its testing policies? Or on the other hand, will they just be catering for two markets and carry on as they are, and take my money gladly without a seconds thought?

FR

I think everyone should by cruelty-free and animal free cosmetics. Unless a product is both, boycott them!

Quote saucyvegan
    .I was thinking. I really do not want to give L'Oreal any of my money but what if we all kept on buying from TBS, do u think L'oreal will realise that this is where the money is and maybe give L'Oreal a think on its testing policies?
    I think that's a good point, Saucy. If people are going to boycott a company, they should tell them why (as you did) otherwise they have no incentive to change.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Annit Roddick says she was "seduced" by their French charm. Their money more like.

I'm also very disappointed by this. I've not bought anything in the body shop for years, not because of ethical issues but because their products are just a bit pants really imho. Apparently Dame Anita Roddick is going to give away all her millions, why couldn't she have sold her company (probably for less) to somebody ethical and cut out the evil middle man?

On the other hand I LOVE lush, I'm a bit addicted I think! Yes not everything is vegan but the things that are I think are totally amazing. The owner of Lush, Mark Constantine used to work for TBS and invented a lot of their products in the olden days when they were good. He invented bath bombs but TBS said no and that noone would ever buy them, but now look who's copying lush!

B never to busy to beautiful is also great for things like bath stuff and perfume but their make up nearly all has lanolin or beeswax in it. I used to have a list but can't find it at the moment.

There is a section of the lush forum www.lushforum.co.uk which is dedicated to bnever so you could post there and someone might know the answer. There's a lot of vegans on that forum too!

feral

Oh yeah girls, for great skincare products check out Liz Earle http://www.lizearle.com I use lots of their stuff and can strongly recommend the moisturiser which my mum's hooked on as well. They send you a lil sample tube of something free with your order too which is great for holidays

saucyvegan

Thanks Feral, im looking at new skin care products and know Liz Earle doesnt test on animals. Not sure if most of her stuff is vegan tho but will have a look at that site. xx

feral

No problem saucy, some of the things I bought before going vegan have no animal ingredients so some of the stuff will be.

Default Email sell-outs!

The Body Shop is now owned by animal testers, L'Oreal. Send The Body Shop some emails telling them you disagree with their decision and that they lost a customer.

http://thebodyshop.com/bodyshop/help...hebodyshop.jsp

investor.relations@the-body-shop.com

tbs.athome@bodyshop.com

http://www.thebodyshopinternational....gl/contact.jsp
    (under General Enquiries enter your country)

Default Re: Email sell-outs!

Here is a sample letter:

The Body Shop,

I was very, very disappointed when I learned that The Body Shop will be sold to L'Oreal, even though they test on animals. L'Oreal's majority shareholders are Nestle. Nestle has a history of abusing human rights (they were sued for using child labor). I was a customer of The Body Shop because of the ethical standards it supposedly has. Now that The Body Shop is owned by animal testers I no longer will buy anything from The Body Shop ever again. My family, friends and associates also agree to never buy anything from The Body Shop because of L'Oreal's ownership of it.

Thank you for your time,

Thanks for the sample letter there, I would've had no idea what to write otherwise
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

i emailed them, and all i got back was a standard reply with an attachment of Anita Roddick's press release.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Blah blah blah. I guess this is the standard reply?

Dear Mike and Nadine

Thank you for your email.

For 30 years The Body Shop has been a force for positive social and environmental change across the world. In more than 2000 stores across the world we operate our business according to five core principles: Support Community Trade, Defend Human Rights, Against Animal Testing, Activate Self-Esteem, and Protect Our Planet.

The news that the boards of L’Oreal and The Body Shop have reached an agreement on the terms of a recommended cash offer made by L’Oreal will not alter the principles of The Body Shop. The Body Shop intends to remain a pioneering ethical retailer offering affordable prestige quality products and campaigning for social and environmental change.

Let us be clear, The Body Shop is an ethically-driven company. For example, through determined campaigning and with the support of over four million customers, The Body Shop was instrumental in securing UK and European bans on animal testing for cosmetic purposes. We were the first international cosmetics brand to be awarded the Humane Cosmetics Standard for our Against Animal Testing policy, which is viewed as best practice by leading animal welfare groups. Our policy ensures that we will not purchase any ingredient that has been tested or retested on animals for cosmetic purposes since at least 31 December 1990. We intend to continue to demand that all of our suppliers adhere to our standards, and our strict audit systems will remain in place to safeguard the integrity of our Against Animal Testing Policy.

In 2005, the Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty Against Animals (RSPCA) applauded The Body Shop for its commitment to this principle. This month (March 2006) The Body Shop was selected as “Best Cruelty Free Cosmetics” in the first PETA Europe Progress Awards. We are incredibly proud of both these honours. We have never tested our products or ingredients on animals, nor commissioned others to do so on our behalf.

Over 15 years ago The Body Shop created its own fair trade programme called Community Trade. By satisfying our demand for ingredients, gifts and accessories in a fair way we help create sustainable trading relationships with marginalised communities around the world. Working with 30 suppliers across 23 countries Community Trade benefits the lives of more than 15,000 families. From Australia to Zambia, we source ingredients such as tea tree oil, sesame oil, babassu oil, honey, beeswax and cocoa butter from small scale farmers who secure a fair price for their goods, and in many cases a social premium to benefit their whole community. Community Trade has supported the building of wells, schools, community centres and the supply of educational materials across the world. We are deeply proud of the positive impact Community Trade has upon our suppliers.

The Body Shop is also campaigning to Stop Violence in the Home. In 2005 the campaign reached 35 markets across the four The Body Shop Regions. The campaign raises funds and awareness about domestic violence helping to protect the victims of domestic violence. Our approach is positive, empowering and ultimately seeks to change peoples' perceptions of domestic violence all over the world.

From our on-going commitment to end animal testing in the cosmetics industry and the launch of our first Community Trade product to our global campaign to Stop Violence in the Home, running in more than 35 countries across the world, The Body Shop has shown consistently that business has the power to make the right kind of difference to the world. Now we have an amazing opportunity to influence the world’s largest cosmetics company on these issues.

L’Oréal has stated that it has great respect for The Body Shop identity as a successful, global, naturally-oriented company with a distinct heritage based on strong and well defined values. Furthermore, L'Oreal have stated that, should the offer succeed, The Body Shop would retain its existing identity and values and use this transaction as a platform for further expansion of The Body Shop's values with support from L’Oréal. We applaud their intentions and hope that our customers will do the same.

Uk Customer Relations

ukcustomer.relations@the-body-shop.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: 17 March 2006 10:34
    To: UK Customer Relations
    Subject: Website Feedback

How could you sell out to major vivisectors L'Oreal like this?
    For years you have thrived on the profits of ethical values and consumer support, and have now thrown this back in the faces of all who have supported you and have betrayed the animals who suffer in their millions for corporate greed.
    Despite having been regular buyers of your products we will never be buying from your stores again.
    Yours in utter disgust
    Mike and Nadine Baldock
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ***************
    This E-Mail is confidential and for the exclusive attention of its intended recipient(s). It may contain legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are expressly prohibited from reviewing, retaining or disseminating its contents and you are kindly requested to notify us immediately and to permanently delete it from your computer. Please note that inbound or outbound E-Mails are routinely and automatically scanned and filtered for malicious or unsolicited content, however we accept no liability for any failure thereof, and would advise that you seek your own means of anti-virus, or anti-spam protection.

The Body Shop International plc. Registered Office: Watersmead, Littlehampton, West Sussex BN17 6LS. Registered in England No. 1284170.

saucyvegan

Yes , well, im sure not lining the pockets of L'Oreal through buying products from TBS. Id rather buy any make up product than TBS now, cos I hate L'Oreal. My money is going to Beauty Without Cruelty!!!!!!!!!!

veggiesosage

The Body Shop's 'Ethiscore' calculated by Ethical Consumer will apparently go down from 11/20 (not exactly a high score in itself) to 2.5/20, which is exceedingly low, following the L'Oreal takeover.

veggiewoman

Does anybody know the address of their head office so I can send back my savers card- cut up into two of course , with a letter explaining why I am doing what I am doing and that I shall never shop there again.

Boo hiss to The Body Shop , L'oreal and Nestle
    http://www.stopanimalcruelty.co.uk/bodyshop/
    http://www.babymilkaction.org/pages/boycott.html#1

I can't walk passed The Body Shop now without having an urge to shout out Trators to them.

here's their UK head office address:
    The Body Shop International PLC
    Watersmead
    Littlehampton
    West Sussex
    BN17 6LS
    UK

i noticed this on the website as i was looking it up: http://www.thebodyshopinternational....le.jsp?index=1
    i'm assuming PETA gave them this award before L'Oreal bought them out?!!!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

veggiewoman

Quote Gorilla
    here's their UK head office address:
    The Body Shop International PLC
    Watersmead
    Littlehampton
    West Sussex
    BN17 6LS
    UK

i noticed this on the website as i was looking it up: http://www.thebodyshopinternational....le.jsp?index=1
    i'm assuming PETA gave them this award before L'Oreal bought them out?!!!

thanks for that, it willbe sent 1st thing tomorrow morning.

RE PETA and award, I e:mailed PETA about it , this is what I wrote :

I am just curious as to why an award has been given to The Body Shop?
    I am aware this award may have been given BEFORE the take over by the animal testing company L'Oreal this month which is also part owned by Neslte- http://www.babymilkaction.org/index.html .
    I , as do many of my friends, ask PETA to withdrawl this award that has been given by PETA to The Body Shop, which in itself would send a clear message to L'Oreal that animal testing esp for cosmetics unacceptable.

a few days later I got this response from PETA :

Hi ,

Thanks very much for your thoughts - it's good to hear other
    perspectives, and I do understand your concerns. We've designed the
    Proggy Awards to highlight companies, individuals, products, books, etc.
    that think outside the box and offer new and innovative animal-friendly
    products and services, or who advance the animal's message in some
    unusual way.
    Since The Body Shop place animal rights messages front and centre in
    their company ethos and maintain a strong stance against animal testing
    we believe they deserved this award. Concerning the L'Oreal takeover -
    Every time a massive corporation buys a smaller more compassionate
    company, the compassion flows upward, and we assume that would happen in
    this instance as well-the big companies learn that consumers care about
    things like animal testing and cruelty to farmed animals. So we assume
    that a no testing policy, something The Body Shop has been known for
    since its inception, and its support of animal- enviro- and native
    peoples-friendly projects, will both continue and, we hope, convince
    L'Oreal to stop abusing animals in labs once and for all. We see it as
    a sign of the times as people demand respect for animals of people to
    the idea that animals are not ours to abuse for food.
    Some Proggy winners have improvements to make in other areas, but we
    want to highlight progress, not just perfection (and who's really
    perfect, after all?!). In the past PETA US has awarded Burger King for
    offering a veggie burger nationally.

I hope this helps to explain our rationale a bit and I'd be happy to
    answer any other questions you have. Thank you again, very much, for
    your input.

Kindest regards,

Lauren
    PETA Europe Ltd

Every time a massive corporation buys a smaller more compassionate
    company, the compassion flows upward, and we assume that would happen in
    this instance as well-the big companies learn that consumers care about
    things like animal testing and cruelty to farmed animals.

which companies are they thinking of? i can't think of a single instance where this has happened - the ethics of the smaller companies always get watered down and lost.

veggiewoman

anybody noticed todays page on peta?
    http://www.peta.org.uk/feat/stillcrueltyfree.asp

Two pioneering manufacturers of cruelty-free products, The Body Shop and Tom's of Maine, were recently acquired by large multinational companies - L'Oréal and Colgate, respectively. Caring consumers can send a message to the parent companies that cruelty-free products are good for business by continuing to buy The Body Shop's and Tom's of Maine's products. Both companies have pledged to keep their strong policies against testing on animals.
    PETA has received written communication from The Body Shop assuring us that the company's no-animal-testing policy will not change and that all its products will remain cruelty-free. In a written statement, Tom's of Maine's founders Tom and Kate Chappell assured customers, “You will continue to be able to rely on our tried and true Natural Care products based on our model of stewardship and sustainability. We will continue to make products without artificial preservatives, sweeteners or dyes and without animal testing or animal ingredients”.
    Show Big Business That Buyers Want Compassion Across the Board

Invariably, when massive corporations buy smaller, more compassionate companies, the big companies learn from the smaller companies' success that consumers are concerned about issues like animal testing and cruelty to farmed animals. For example, Linda McCartney's line of foods is produced by Heinz; dairy-products company Fayrefield Foods owns Swedish Glace, the non-dairy frozen dessert which is now sold in all major supermarkets, and candy giant Cadbury owns Green & Black's Organic, which produces vegan chocolates. These conglomerates' purchases of compassionate companies have caused humane products to become more widely promoted and sold than ever before.
    Large corporations now recognise the expanding market of compassionate consumers who want cruelty-free food, cosmetics and clothing. We hope these companies' no-testing policies - and The Body Shop's support of projects which are friendly to animals, the environment and native peoples - will persuade L'Oréal and Colgate to abandon animal tests across the board.
    What You Can Do

Please ask Colgate and L'Oréal to adopt the same compassionate standards as Tom's of Maine and The Body Shop:
    Colgate-Palmolive (UK) Ltd
    Consumer Affairs
    Guildford Business Park
    Middleton Road
    Guildford
    Surrey GU2 8JZ
    00800 321 321 32
    Web form
    L'Oréal (UK) Ltd
    255 Hammersmith Road
    London
    W6 8AZ
    0208 762 4000
    0208 762 4001 (fax)
    comms@uk.loreal.com

veggiewoman

I have just watched Bremner Bird and Fortune- he was rippin the pi%s out of "her" sellin to L'oreal , he dressed up as her etc and was going on about animal testing and how ethcical they were but that they dont give a damn now etc by seling to a animla testing company etc .

Nice one Bremner

veggiesosage

I just saw that, very amusing

Kevster

Oh dear.

'Body Shop's popularity plunges after L'Oreal sale
    By Cahal Milmo
    Published: 10 April 2006

The sale of the Body Shop to the French cosmetics giant L'Oréal last month has dented the reputation of the British high street retailer once vaunted as the champion of ethical beauty products. [...]'

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...icle356889.ece

Default L'Oreal takes over the Body Shop

Did I hear right? I'm lost for words....

veggiewoman

Default Re: L'Oreal takes over the Body Shop

sadly you did hear right, the BODY SHOP sold to L'Oreal which is also part owned by Neslte

: http://www.stopanimalcruelty.co.uk/bodyshop/

http://www.babymilkaction.org/pages/boycott.html#1

It has also been announced that a comapny also part ownde by Neslte are to buy the Linda McCartney vegetarian food range.

veggiewoman

29th April - day of action against the body shop

http://www.stopanimalcruelty.co.uk/b...p/activism.asp

I'm gutted!!! And angry - if I think that my cash is going to line the coffers of a company who tells me "I'm worth it" just because I buy a lipstick (tested on animals), well... I'd rather spend my hard-earned Euros somewhere else. Do you think it is an attempt to show a "caring", "environmentally-empathetic" side to their customers, or is it just all about profits?
    While we're on the topic of greedy cosmetics companies, that ad with Claudia Schiffer where she's making ga-ga faces at the baby then the voice-over says that expressions like that will give you wrinkles???!!! That one cracks me up

What a joke. Sell outs.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron