Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Water

Default Re: Water

Quote snivelingchild View Post
    Actually, taking a bath is about equal to drinking a gallon of water, in regards to what your skin absorbs. .
    Sorry, but eh?
    I don't really understand what you mean there? Are you saying you absorb all the minerals in water from a bath just as well through your skin as you would if you had drunk 8 pints?
    What happens if you swim in a warm sea for a period of time?
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

You end up like the bad man on X men.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I think my water often smells of TCP (which is a distinctive smelling antiseptic in the UK).
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote gogs67 View Post
    Sorry, but eh?
    I don't really understand what you mean there? Are you saying you absorb all the minerals in water from a bath just as well through your skin as you would if you had drunk 8 pints?
    What happens if you swim in a warm sea for a period of time?
    Yes, supposedly, one hour in warm/hot water you would absorb as many minerals/substances in the water as if you had been drinking that amount.

Mahk

After looking at many, many sites, this is the first one I've hit that I didn't get the distinct impression they were trying to scare me and make me buy their particular water filtration product:
    http://thegreenguide.com/reports/pro...ml?id=23&sec=2

They have a good synopsis (in the "Products comparison" section) of a recent Consumer Reports magazine water filtration systems test with the model at the top seeming to be a "best buy" in terms of effectiveness and low cost. I tried to find the direct Consumer Reports write up but I could only find parts of it without having to subscribe (follow the reference links from the link I gave).

edit to add: For those of you who get wiggy over animal products being used in the filtration stage of manufacturing of things like some sugar and some alcoholic beverages, you may want to contact the manufacturer of a potential water filter to ask if the carbon they use in the filter is bone char, aka natural charcoal, or possibly bone meal/chip. Both are used in some brands in certain models (and in some municipal water treatment plants too, I might add). Be especially suspicious if the filter claims to reduce fluoride; thats a good sign it uses bone char.

Me? I don't worry about the veganness of filtration. I feel if I did I would have to write the manufacturer of every single product I use, monthly, to ask if the the water they put in their product that month (or use to clean the mixers) is filtered and if so does the filter contain bone char; not going to happen.

Hello! We recently got a twin tub, and would very much like to use rainwater for our washing.

How can we ensure that we get clean-ish water for our washing via a water butt? Will this involve manically cleaning pipes and drains all the time? Or, if we use muslin as we're getting the water out of the water butt, would the water still be OK? I'm new to all this and we don't have much money or common sense, so it needs to be straightforward

Thank you!
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."