Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Water

Cryospark

Default Water

Ok now I've just looked at some information on water.
    I'd like to know what people here tend to drink tap water, bottled/distilled water or other, you will have to read the label on your bottles of water. Many supposedly spring waters are merely purified/distilled tapwater.
    This is a pole of sorts, also to see if anyone has any special water I dunno about

Default Re: Water

In our fridge we keep a large plastic bottle - I think it's 11 litres worth. It has a little tap on the bottom of it, so getting the water out for when you want a drink, or to use in cooking, is easy. Each week, we refill it at our local grocery store. They have a machine where you can fill your containers with reverse-osmosis water. It only costs a couple of dollars and it tastes so much better than tap water. I think it's probably a lot healthier than tap water too!

Smile gosh!

You are so lucky roxy! reverse osmosis water is the purest you can get........i looked into having a system fitted in my kitchen but it's way too expensive.........

i drink tap water.......it tastes pretty bad...........but i can't afford to buy bottled water, and its true that a lot of it isn't much better than tap water anyway...........it's not ideal to have your water stored in plastic bottles either, as the plastic contaminates the water..........

i read an interesting book the other day called "The pH Miracle" by Robert and Shelley Young, they advocate a vegan diet for health reasons..............one of the things they advocate is drinking a gallon, yes, a gallon of water a day...........now i can't drink that much, but i have considerably increased my water intake after reading what they said..........

the other interesting thing from that book was that they suggest you put pH drops in your water to make it more alkaline, pH drops are simply hydrogen peroxide, which you can buy cheaply from your local chemist. I've been doing this for a while..........you can't taste the drops, as there are hardly any per litre..........

i posted about hydrogen peroxide on another site, and was given loads of info about how if ingested it can cause serious problems, so that has made me wonder whether it's such a good idea..........

unfortunately, even though the Youngs have a website, promoting their stuff, there is no way to contact them with questions.

Anyway, i thought i'd post this stuff here in case anyone is interested.

rosie

Cryospark

Default Re: gosh!

Yep alkalinity in the water helps clear up excess acids in your body but most waters are distilled and the nutrients once in them removed. Drinking to much distilled water has a chelating effect, because the water has no nutrients it takes nutrients from you as it is passed through your system which is kinda bad.

cross barer

What is reverse osmosis?

One thing that annoys me is that when I go to a convenience store, all of the bottled water will be produced by the following corporations: Nestle, Dannon, Pepsico, and Coca Cola. What's the deal, yo? All the garbage produced by tossed away bottles also concerns me.

I drink a lot of tap water and i know that it is chemically polluted. There are chemicals in the water here which mimic estrogen in the body.

i drink filtered water, with a brita filter jug. (u just refill it and keep it in the fridge)
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Geoff

I have a reverse osmosis filter which cost about $400. The water really is so much better than what comes out of the tap. Tap water here has about 200ppm of dissolved salts but the filter reduces that to almost nothing.
    I just checked and the figures are 215ppm and 5ppm at the moment.
    If anyone wants any RO water, just let me know and I'll mail it to you in my patented dehydrated tablet form. That's right - you guessed it - you just add water!

I am also using the Brita filter jug. The water tastes really good, after the chlorine is removed, but I wonder if it is able to remove the flouride which is added to our water?
    Kindness is not just for humans.

Cryospark

well I'm now drinking rainwater and im hopin it doesnt have anything wrong with it.
    flouride is a waste product I don't see why they use it in the first place, i put stevia in my water so it will have nutrients and become closer to how water should be

rainwater is dangerous to drink sometimes because it can contain alot of chemicals from pollution and cars and whatnot. (unless its purified)

Does BRITA reduce / remove fluoride ?

The BRITA Water Filter System does not remove fluoride from tap water. Fluoride is a negatively charged ion and does not react with the components of the BRITA Filter Cartridge.
    http://www.brita.com.au/help/frequently_asked_questions

I have a 2 litre jug that I fill with tap water every evening, then stand it on a magnet (about 9cm diameter, and 3cm thick). The following day I pour drinks from that jug, and repeat the process each evening. The water tastes just fine.
    Eve

I just drink water as it comes to me from the tap

Cryospark

Quote foxytina_69
    rainwater is dangerous to drink sometimes because it can contain alot of chemicals from pollution and cars and whatnot. (unless its purified)
    Purification would make it no better then distilled water. And I would hope over here it should be ok, it's not like you don't breath those things in everyday.

Yeah tap water kills ;p

Cryospark

Quote eve
    I have a 2 litre jug that I fill with tap water every evening, then stand it on a magnet (about 9cm diameter, and 3cm thick). The following day I pour drinks from that jug, and repeat the process each evening. The water tastes just fine.
    What does the magnet do? clump all the heavy metals to the bottom? ionize it?

Quote Cryospark
    well I'm now drinking rainwater and im hopin it doesnt have anything wrong with it.
    flouride is a waste product I don't see why they use it in the first place, i put stevia in my water so it will have nutrients and become closer to how water should be
    what's stevia?

Cryospark

stevia rebaudiana is an additive which has no calories only nutrients and can be used as a sweetener.

Quote Cryospark
    Yep alkalinity in the water helps clear up excess acids in your body but most waters are distilled and the nutrients once in them removed. Drinking to much distilled water has a chelating effect, because the water has no nutrients it takes nutrients from you as it is passed through your system which is kinda bad.
    One of my sisters ran into this problem. She was constantly getting UT infections. She is very athletic, and was drinking near a gallon of water a day. The doctor told her she had to cut back on her daily intake of water because it was flushing out what she needed to help keep her from getting the UT infections in the first place. When she cut back on the water (although she still drinks a lot), she stopped having the infections. Darn doctor didn't explain it had to do with what kind of water she was drinking! This is new news to me...I appreciate it!

Quote Cryospark
    This is a much more desirable water produce then normal but here is also something better then that
    a water ionizer the price is very high though
    http://www.lifewatersystems.com/ionizer.htm
    I was looking over this - it looks really cool. I couldn't figure out if this gets the fluoride out, too. Does anyone know? ...I'll try e-mailing them...

Houston's water is SO absolutely nasty. Blech. (so is the air)

Quote Cryospark
    What does the magnet do? clump all the heavy metals to the bottom? ionize it?
    Can't tell you the scientific process, but yes, all impurities including those horrid ones they had in Sydney water a while back - cryptospiridium etc - are brought to the bottom, though invisible to the naked eye. So I rinse out the jug before filling up with water again. I bought this magnet at a sports shop when I was living in Adelaide, on the advice of an Indian alternative doctor. I asked the salesgirl: who buys these magnets? and she said "all the guys" - also she was drinking a cup of tea that she placed on the magnet, saying that as the sportsguys benefit from the magnets, she may as well follow suit.

I once had a visit from a vegan napropath (that description was new to me), but he had come from Skandinavia somewhere to help organise the International Vegan Festival (the IVF) a few years back. When he came indoors he asked what water I had, and when I showed him, he tasted some very carefully - looking rather like one of those wine buffs! I half expected him to spit it out, but instead, he helped himself to another glassful and said that is tastes wonderful, and he considered himself an expert on waters.
    Eve

Geoff

I tested a brand new Brita filter today and, after discarding the first jug full, tap water with a dissolved salt content of 223ppm was only reduced to 181ppm, compared to 5ppm with the RO filter so it seems that the Brita filter doesn't do much at all.

youre supposed to soak the filter for fifteen minutes first, then run a whole jug through it a few times before u can drink the water.

Quote Peas'nHominy
    I was looking over this - it looks really cool. I couldn't figure out if this gets the fluoride out, too. Does anyone know? ...I'll try e-mailing them...
    I heard back from them, this is what they had to say:

Quote LifeWaterSystems
    When the water from your tap passes through the electolysis chamber the positive ions (cation) like calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium are attracted to the negative electrode creating ionized alkaline water that you consume.

From our understanding fluoride is a negatively charged ion or anion and is attracted to the positive charged electrode in the electrolysis chamber (as are other anions) and makes the ionized acidic water. This water you don't consume but can be used topically as an antiseptic or for watering your plants.

Basically when the water passes through The Fountain of Life it is split into two types of water from your original tap water, an ionized alkaline water and an ionized acidic water.
    ...I'm trying to understand if this means I can have fluoride-free drinking water if I use this product...maybe I need a little more sleep before I can comprehend this tee-hee

Cryospark

yes this means the flouride is like the other substance the electrolysis chamber extracts it and it goes into the acidic water outlet with the rest of the negatively charged uneccessary anions. pretty awesome huh, the acid water is also a topical aniseptic, and gives trace minerals and such to your plants, when u water them with it.
    Hope that clears it up for you.

Awesome! Thank you!

I have a Reverse Osmosis system as well Geoff -

A few months ago, my boyfriend and I were buying the 10L jugs of distilled water from the local grocery store, but the plastic jugs became overwhelming and the thought of the waste was disgusting!

After months of storing our empty water jugs in a back room (thinking that we would have some use for them), we decided to take them to the recycling center. We piled them into a van and it became filled to the top with the jugs. You couldn't see out the back window. We even had some jugs overflowing to the front seats! Also, we didn't have enough room to put all of the jugs in the van, so sitting beside me on the floor are about 40 more empty jugs!

Even though the taste of the distilled water was AMAZING and so pure, the waste wasn't worth it, at all!

So, we had an R.O. system installed and it is awesome! The taste is great! Our tap water is 180ppm and the system brings it down to around 7ppm.

My boyfriend’s parents live 10 minutes outside of town in the country and have a fairly new well that brings up 500 year old water. We tested that water and it comes up at about 130ppm.

Makes you wonder what the other 50ppm's in the town water are made up of...?

We also have a portable filtration system with extra filters incase of emergencies, disasters or for camping & boating trips.

This portable system is pretty cool... the company had a demonstration and they ran coca-cola through the filtration system and it came out as clear as the purest water.

Also, there was an "at home demonstration" where someone filtered their urine through the system, and it came out CLEAR as water....AND....as gross as it sounds, they took a sip of the final product and said that IT TASTED LIKE WATER! Of course, they tested it before drinking and it came out with a very low if not 0ppm reading!

Amazing... I would say.

I haven't tried the pee thing myself, but it’s good to know that if you're desperate, you can recycle your own liquid if needed!

I know that there is lack of minerals with distilling water, but I make sure that we get enough of that stuff through other things for now.

I would love to be able to drink the well water that my boyfriend's parents have. But for now, I live in town and the tap water FREAKS me out... just the smell of it is wrong.

We fill up a 10L jug with the well water once a month and give that to our kitty & fish... I wouldn't even think about giving them the local tap water.

Here are some links to the products I'm talking about if anyone is interested...

Portable Water Filtration System

Reverse Osmosis System ... I have the '4-Stage, Point-Of Use Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System'.

Handheld TDS Meter (TDS - total dissolved solids)

Happy Drinking!

Incase anyone else does a search in the future and is interested to know, I emailed brita a while back to find out what source they use for their activated carbon/whether their cartridges are vegan or not. The responce was good:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email of 10th January 2005.

The filter material of the original BRITA filter cartridge contains a
    mixture of ion exchange resin and activated carbon.

I can confirm the contents of the cartridge are as follows -

Ion exchange Resin - Sythetically manufactured , insoluable
    artificial Resin.

Activated Carbon - Made from coconut shell.

Therefore I can confirm that the products contained within the
    cartridge are food grain.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact
    the BritaCare Team on the the telephone number below where one of our
    advisors will be happy to assist you and, please be aware of our
    commitment to providing a first-class level of Customer Care and Service at
    all times.

Yours sincerely

FR

I only drink spring water. I buy it by the case, and it is cheap, like 21 cents per bottle. I also buy half gallon jugs of it for home, those run about 70 cents each.

Gliondrach

I use Britta as a back up system. I have not needed it since I've had my own spring. The water from my spring is clear, fresh and always cold. It flows continuously. I discovered it last year when I was drilling a hole in my spare bedroom wall.

Default Glass of water anyone?

This morning maybe that's the best drink? ;-)

I was wondering whether or not you drink bottled water. If you do, do you choose one with a high calcium level? Is it recommended?

Do you know how to find out the content of your local tap water.

Happy New Year to all. Wishing you a good health and much happiness in 2007.
    Last edited by flutterby; Jan 1st, 2007 at 12:32 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Willynilly

Default Re: Glass of water anyone?

I have my own reverse osmosis filter and the water tastes so much better than what comes out of the tap.

Happy New Year Ros!
    I drink bottled water (unfortunately) because we have an inbuilt water-softening system due to the hardness of our water. It seems it's not good to drink all the time, so until I manage to find out for sure I prefer to drink the bottled stuff. Although I don't think the fact that it comes in a bottle is any sign of quality - I think tap water is subject to very stringent checks and is very safe to drink. I'm not wild about the taste though.
    As for the mineral content, we have a water here called Ferarelle which is sparkling and very rich in calcium. I don't particularly like it because I find it very heavy, and prefer the lighter, still waters that are available. I think waters rich in calcium are potentially risky for those with kidney stones but otherwise are OK, but don't quote me on that. I try to get all my calcium from my diet though - if I get some from bottled water it's a plus, but it's certainly not a source I rely on.

How does the reverse osmosis filter work, Willynilly? And don't say by reverse osmosis I mean, is it installed in your water supply, or separate, like a jug? And what are its components? I was using an active carbon filter jug a while ago but have heard nasty things about them.

Happy New Year to everyone!!!
    Last edited by fiamma; Jan 1st, 2007 at 10:54 AM. Reason: clarity

Hahaha, Auntie!! I always drink water anyway. I prefer bottled but worry about all that plastic so I have a Brita filter and that makes the tap water bearable.

PS. Why is this thread under "no dairy"???

PPS. You could contact your water company and ask them re the content of your tap water.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Willynilly

Quote fiamma View Post
    How does the reverse osmosis filter work, Willynilly? And don't say by reverse osmosis I mean, is it installed in your water supply, or separate, like a jug? And what are its components?
    It's the same as this one: http://www.healthywater.com.au/comme...e=specials.cfm

I run it off the tap and fill 15 litre bottles, which I invert into a ceramic water well. It takes about 3 hrs to fill a bottle.
    RO plus 2 filters removes pretty much all contaminants (and there are plenty of them!)

Under no-dairy because I was a bit tired this morning ;-) I just read about Eve's magnet idea which is very interesting.
    We drink tap water although I bought a couple of calcium rich bottles of water. It seems to have a large amount of salt in it though...

I avoid bottle water because I believe it is bad for the environment

http://news.independent.co.uk/enviro...icle344959.ece

for why.
    I do have a water filter which I use for making cold drinks or when I just want to drink water.
    I use a Brita filter because they recycle cartridges if you Freepost them back to Brita.
    When making hot drinks or cooking I either use boiled water or stright from the tap.
    It stinks of chlorine but boiling it removes that.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

cvC

I'm no expert, but this is a subject I have done some research on and, as to what a Reverse Osmosis filter is, it basically takes just about everything out except the H2O. It does remove things like fluoride, but also the minerals, and it has been claimed that this means that the "empty" water then leaches minerals out of the body, although other people say that it only takes the inorganic ones and other things that we want to get rid of anyway. Things like the calcium in the bottled water mentioned above are what I presume is meant by inorganic minerals and here is something from a fasting website that suggests that they are not assimilated in the way that for instance calcium from fruit is:

"The perceived value of mineral water is misleading because the inorganic minerals are like huge boulders to the cellular membranes, making them impossible to assimilate. Plants are able to break down the minerals from the soils, allowing them to be completely absorbable to the cells of the body."

http://www.freedomyou.com/fasting_bo...;20fasting.htm

Distilled water is also without the minerals and considered better than Reverse Osmosis water. What's put me off either is that I was drinking the cheap "table" water that some of the supermarkets do (or did) and ended up getting feelings in my kidneys that suggested it really wasn't good for them. Rightly or wrongly, I thought this was Reverse Osmosis water, which I didn't think was all that differnt to distilled water, but I have neverthless been drinking the distilled ("purified") water that is available at a local chemist for about ten days after finding even spring water too heavy for me and, so far, it feels okay and maybe even that it's doing me some good. Here is something from a useful and interesting webpage about distilled water and which deals with the leaching issue:

"Question: I have heard that distilled water leaches minerals from our cells. Is that true?

Answer: If, in this case, "leaching" implies that the distilled water acts against the body's best interests in removing useful minerals from our cells, this assumption is incorrect. Water in its pure distilled form is only good; it is inert and cannot act on the body. Distilled water can never force out essential body elements. By virtue of its ultra low viscosity, distilled water efficiently transports wastes and stores of toxins, including harmful inorganic minerals, out of the cells, tissues and bones, for elimination via sweat, respiration, urination, etc. So, when we drink only distilled water, we are assisting our body's ability to eliminate toxins."

http://www.livingnutrition.com/water.html

Here is a page I've found where one can read about a cheaper water distiller costing about £200 and a more expensive one costing nearly £900:

http://www.meaningoflife.i12.com/shop-distiller.htm

Here is a link to information about one available from raw-food "Shazzy's" Detox your World and I don't know to what extent the plastic comes into contact with the water on these cheaper ones:

http://www.detoxyourworld.com/acatal...er_deluxe.html

I intend to persevere with distilled water for at least the time being, but for those interested and who don't want the minerals taken out of their water, here is a link to a site that sells the Wellness filter that was originally developed for the Japanese Olympic team - I don't know what protection if any it provides against fluoride:

http://www.wellnessfilter.com/about/index.asp

Willynilly

Quote cvC View Post
    I'm no expert, but this is a subject I have done some research on and, as to what a Reverse Osmosis filter is, it basically takes just about everything out except the H2O. It does remove things like fluoride, but also the minerals, and it has been claimed that this means that the "empty" water then leaches minerals out of the body, although other people say that it only takes the inorganic ones and other things that we want to get rid of anyway.
    OMG! Something else to worry about!
    Thanks for reminding me about this issue as it's something I'd thought about and meant to research, but never got around to (being an Olympic class procrastinator!)

Seaside

I distill my own water, cvC. I use a powdered calcium/magnesium supplement to remineralize it, and raise its pH, but I don't think that is entirely necessary. The trouble with reverse osmosis is how much unusable water is generated. You end up with more unusable than usable water, and if you don't have a garden, or some other use for the water that contains an even higher concentration of chemicals and salts than what you started out with, its pretty wasteful.

steven1222

For at least two years, most of my consumption of liquids has been in the form of bottled spring water.

There seem to be some problems with the article that was linked to a few posts ago:

From http://news.independent.co.uk/enviro...icle344959.ece
    It costs 10,000 times more to create the bottled version than it does to produce tap water, say scientists.
    In that case, the water utility companies make unfairly high profits, because bottled water costs me less than 10,000 times as much as tap water would.

Huge resources are needed to draw it from the ground, add largely irrelevant minerals, and package and distribute it - sometimes half-way around the world. The plastic bottles it comes in take 1,000 years to biodegrade, and in industrialised countries, bottled water is no more pure and healthy than what comes out of the tap.
    Not all bottled water has added minerals or comes from an exotic source. I do not drink such 'water.' I also send the plastic bottles to a recycling facility, so they do not harm the environment. People say that tap water is as pure and healthy as bottled water, but I was once poisoned by tap water. (During one morning, after consuming nothing except one cup of tap water, I released a grainy red solid substance, mainly through my nose. That caused me to switch to bottled water.)

Just thought I'd post this interesting link I found about the U.S. drinking water:
    http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_heal...&news_id=24659

That's why reverse osmosis is my friend.

I found this website: freshwaterfilter.com Look what is says about when you take a shower!

Mahk

From Abby's link:

"The Dangers!The steam from hot mains water contains vapourised chlorine (bleach) and other chemicals. In an enclosed shower,you
    can absorb through the lungs and skin, more chlorine than if you drunk eight glasses of the same water. Typical symptoms are burning eyes, brittle hair and skin irritation."

This is pure scaremongering if you ask me. You can find about a billion other web sites making the same general claim and just like this one they all "conveniently" have a link to buy a water filter product.

"Typical symptoms are burning eyes, brittle hair and skin irritation."

Silly me. I've always thought it was the soap and shampoo's fault; seems it's really the just water itself.

edit to add: [Swimming pool water is another matter entirely because it has levels that are off the chart higher in chlorine content.]

Actually, taking a bath is about equal to drinking a gallon of water, in regards to what your skin absorbs. It varies, but your skin absorbs more things from the water when it is warm, since your pores open up more for your skin to breathe.

If your area has a ridiculously high chlorine and heavy metal count like mine (You can SMELL the chlorine from a glass of water, and I actually got fibromyalgia-like tenderness from heavy metals from drinking it for a couple of months, but I'm sure the heavy metals are from my pipes, not the water supply), then a bath or shower filter can be a wonderful idea.

Mahk, it depends on your area. I never use shampoo, conditioner, or soaps on any kind, so when I travel, I can really tell the difference in water quality. In some areas, I can't even get a brush through my hair after washing it in some icky water, since it's so sticky.

Quote snivelingchild View Post
    Mahk, it depends on your area. I never use shampoo, conditioner, or soaps on any kind, so when I travel, I can really tell the difference in water quality. In some areas, I can't even get a brush through my hair after washing it in some icky water, since it's so sticky.
    Good luck when you come to London!

Seriously though, the water here is clean but REALLY hard. Towels squeak against your skin, and your hair gets really knotty.

Mahk

Sniv, sorry your water is bad where you live. You can actually smell the chlorine? Yikes! That sounds terrible. I guess I'm lucky I've never lived anywhere that had such conditions. I think using water filters are a good idea overall and are much cheaper than buying bottled "spring" waters for all of us but I don't like marketers that use scare tactics like: "If you don't use our product you will burn your eyeballs out, your hair will fall out, and you will get skin rashes". That was the point I was trying to make.

I once lived in Woodstock, NY (yes, the town the famous festival/concert got its name from, although it actually took place miles away in Bethel, NY) and the town had a problem with asbestos in the water supply. Ugh. The only study I could find on it seems to conclude that we are in the clear, but who knows.

The water smells of chlorine where I live to. It's one of the reasons I don't drink tap water. Also, my blonde hair has been known to get a tinge of green to it, because of the amount of chlorine in our water. This is from showering and washing my hair with regular tap water. I don't swim, so it's certainly not swimming pool chlorine.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Good luck when you come to London!

Seriously though, the water here is clean but REALLY hard. Towels squeak against your skin, and your hair gets really knotty.
    I was in London for a week in october, and I got a rash over my whole body. But I guess I'm spoilt, the water in Norway is very good - clean and low in chlorine and other nasty stuff.

Most regions in the UK have quite a bit of chlorine in the tap water.
    If this bothers you, you can either boil the water to remove the chlorine or fill a jug and leave it to stand. The chlorine will evaporate out of the water.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/