Thread: Hi! Spray Cheese, Whipped Cream

Smile Hi! Spray Cheese, Whipped Cream

Hi! Im new and am so glad I found this forum esp since it is just for VEGANS! I turned veg about three years ago and vegan between a year and a half ago. I'm probably one of the youngest people on here. I'm going to be Sweet 16 next month Hee hee. I was wondering if anyone knew if they had a Vegan Spray Cheese? You know.. spray cheese! Yuummy

And can you find Vegan Whipped cream in your health food store?

Default Re: Hi! Spray Cheese, Whipped Cream

hi caitlin and welcome.

the vegan store on-line has whipping and squirty cream if thats any good

not sure what you mean by spray cheese??

good to 'see' you anyway

Well you know... Spray Cheese.. like in the can where you spray on crackers? Thanks btw!

Oh.. that link didn't work

VeganJohn

Never heard of spray cheese, but I hope you find it (a vegan version that is).

Welcome to the forum Caitlin!

I have seen that stuff before, kind of bizarre! I've never seen a vegan spray cheese in stores though.

I'd say the closest thing would be nutritional yeast flaked cheese made with less water, let it sit for a bit to thicken, then spread it on the crackers.

The recipe is in the food forum here.

Hahaha...Well, I know what spray cheese is, it is totally an american thing that noone else would probably eat (even if it WAS vegan). It is good in that bad kinda way...hard to explain.

I have never seen a vegan version...

I have seen vegan whipped cream at my local HFS. There is a brand here called "Hip Whip" that is vegan. It is more like Cool Whip and kept in the freezer in a tub (not sprayable) I have never had it before and heard mixed opinions. You may want to try to make you own? I believe there is a recipe on the EnerG egg replacer box...maybe you could substituite some Silk Soy Creamer? I am not sure, since cow whipped cream turns like that from the fat coming out.

Maybe Sour cream with some powdered sugar whipped up? Tofutti makes Sour Supreme that is in most grocery stores/health food stores.

The whipped cream on the Ener-G Egg Replacer Box uses cow's cream. (I just looked - I don't like the recipe from The Ultimate Uncheese Book - I guess it'll have to be the frozen stuff then).

This is the product that someone earlier was referring to when they posted a link to veganstore.co.uk

If they haven't exported it to the US yet I'm not sure it would be worth the expense of ordering from the UK based veganstore - I've got the squirty version and it's okay as a novelty, but it doesn't really taste like cream and the consistency is a lot lighter. I think it will work quite well for something like a victoria sponge with cream and jam filling though.

cross barer

Is mock cream not vegan? Most bakeries use it...

Has anyone tried Soyatoo? That twinkle posted. That looks like it would be really yummy! Thanks for the link.. I think I might order some.

tails4wagging

yes, I have tried it, its nice but a little sweet for me.

BTW welcome Caitin There are a few your age group here.

Quote twinkle
    This is the product that someone earlier was referring to when they posted a link to veganstore.co.uk

If they haven't exported it to the US yet I'm not sure it would be worth the expense of ordering from the UK based veganstore - I've got the squirty version and it's okay as a novelty, but it doesn't really taste like cream and the consistency is a lot lighter. I think it will work quite well for something like a victoria sponge with cream and jam filling though.

thanks twinkle, i must have put the address in incorrectly

I think that a vegan whipping cream can also be made from the stuff that's at the top of a can of coconut milk before it's all stirred in. If you chill the can well, peel that layer off and whip into it a bit of the sugar of your liking, plus a bit of vanilla it comes out to be a pretty good substitution to whipped cream.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

From the recipe book, How It All Vegan.

SOY MILK WHIPPED CREAM:
    1/4 cup soy milk
    2-4 tbsp sweetener (that means sugar)
    1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
    1 tsp of cornstarch
    1/2 cup oil

In food processor or blender, blend together the milk, sweetener, vanilla, and cornstarch. Slowly drizzle in the oil while the blender is running. Blend until smooth and creamy. Chill for 1 hour before using. Makes approx. 3/4 cup.

TOFU WHIPPED CREAM:
    1.5 cups of soft tofu
    2-4 tbsp sweetener (sugar)
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    2 tsp cornstarch

Blend together (in a blender/food processor). Chill for 1 hour. Makes 1 cup.

BANANA-RAMA CREAM:
    (for fruits, pancakes, etc)
    1 banana, chopped
    2 tbsp oil
    1 tsp of vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp lemon juice

Blend together until smooth and creamy (in a blender/food processor). Add a little bit of water to thin, if you'd like. Makes 3/4 cup.

Thanks Tigerlily,

I am going to definitely try the soy milk recipe. I used a tofu recipe recently and I think the taste is a bit off.

thanx tigerlily. i want to try the soymilk one
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

ConsciousCuisine

This is my favorite cream:

1/2 cup coconut cream (the thick part at the top of a chilled can of coconut milk)

1/4 tsp vanilla

1/4 cup sunflower/safflower oil

1/4 cup maple syrup (if you want the cream to be less sweet, use only 1 T maple syrup and add another 1/4 cup sunflower/safflower oil minus 1 T)

pinch of salt

In a blender, combine coconut milk and vanilla, keep blender running and gradually add the oil until the mixture becomes very thick. If necessary,add a little more oil and blend in the maple syrup and salt. Chill in the freezer for 15 minutes before serving, stir to "whip" up and serve. Try to not eat the whole thing with a spoon! (it's hard not to!)

Variation: You can make it with soymilk instead of coconut cream; Silk Enhanced is the *best*!

thanx cc
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Is coconut milk pretty good? To drink or put in cereal? I've never tried coconut milk but it sounds yummy.

Quote Caitlin
    Is coconut milk pretty good? To drink or put in cereal? I've never tried coconut milk but it sounds yummy.
    It's nice as an occasional treat, I think it's pretty high in fat. I used to make tropical smoothies with banana, lime, pineapple and canned coconut cream and wonder why I wasn't losing weight when I was eating so much healthy fruit

I had some of the dixie cheese sauce (the one that comes in a pack of powder that you mix hot water into to make a tangy orange cheese sauce - got it from veganstore.co.uk) when I was around my mother-in-laws for dinner, and she said it tastes a lot like american cheese, like the squirty stuff in a plastic bottle, or what they put on burgers. So many try some of that and see? It also tastes a lot like the Gee Whiz recipe in the Uncheese Cookbook if you've got that.

I'm still longing for a cheese sauce that will go on chips perfectly like at Ed's Easy Diner. Actually now I think of it, I could try Gee Whiz with less red pepper, it might be a bit mellower then? I shall try it soon and report back!

oh and on cream - I've tried the soyatoo squirty - it does have that soya aftertaste, but it's a bit of fun to use and it has a really nice texture, less fatty than I remember whipped dairy cream being.

Has anyone tried out any of those recipes above for whipped cream?? I have seen the HIAV ones but been a bit scared to try them... I tried a sour cream one once, I think it was from LDV, and it was HORRID!! I'm a bit afraid to try any more of their dairy-replacement recipes like that now..!! Although there was a cheese sauce recipe in one of the first two, called Randomgirl.com's Cheese Sauce or something like that, that I did really like, it reminded me of something from when I was a youngster, I think it's a cheesy biscuit but I really can't remember. I just get "taste deja-vous" when I have it. Love it on baked spuds!