Thread: ipecac

Default ipecac

i heard ipecac syurp induced vomiting. I tend to travel to many places and seem to get persistent stomach bugs that leave me indoor bound for days. Im sure ipecac could spead up the removal of toxins as such in the system. Im interested in using it for a future illness, does anyone know wether or not its effective? Im told you cannot obtain ipecac in the UK or can you? an if so where? My travels have stopped for a while and i want to prepare a first aid kit before i start travelling again. Ive tried to order it from america which is the only country i can think of, however they only accept major credit cards. Any information would be useful (thankyou)

Zool

Default Re: ipecac

Sounds like a fine recipe for an eating disorder.

I don't mean any offense, ipecac just seems like a bad idea vice preventing the stomach aches in the first place through dietary change or finding out what exactly is causing the aches.

tails4wagging

NO, No, No to ipecac!!!. You can only get it here in the UK at hospitals which is used to induce vomiting for poisoning.

It is a dangerous substance if in the wrong hands.

The best first aid to take with you is something to rehydrate you if you do vomit due to having a bug. You could ask a pharmacist for sachets of rehydrat or dioralyte.
    Some suggestions then for a first aid pack:
    Rehydrat/dioralyte
    plasters/bandage.
    insect repellent.
    piriton tablets (anti-histermine for bites).
    Pain killer tabs.

Yikes!!

I don't think it will be long before ipecac disappears completely, as many doctors think it ineffective anyway, and reacts badly with some poisons. We tend to use other delightful products such as activated charcoal these days.

If you keep getting bugs, and you are careful about what you eat, it could well be the water. Even if it's safe to drink, changes in water can effect some people. If my brother goes to Scotland or Cornwall the water makes him throw up, and since he started having bottled everywhere, it's really helped.

If you do have a food bug in your system, inducing vomiting can make it worse, as your body will find the best route 'out', and interferring with that is bad, and can spread the infection and cause internal inflammation.

Remember, your stomach is small, and food only stays in there for 30 mins to 2hrs. After that it's too far along your digestive tract and in the form of horrible grey chime to be vomited up, so you'll still have the runs.

And for those who like to stop things rather than get them out, it's not wise to take things like Diacalm and Immodium if you have a bug, as your body is trying it's best to rid itself of the infection.
    Those drugs are best saved for the morning of nervous job interviews!

Mozbee

Nivvie would you reccommend someone with a delicate digestive system who is going for a week up in Scotland to stick to bottled water only? (Her problem being diarrohea & not being vegan!)

It can't hurt.

Some people aren't affected, but my brother has spent many hours with his head down a hotel toilet.

Since water avoidance, no probs.
    Drinking water avoidance I mean, he still washes.....

Ipecac doesn't always induce vomiting. Sometimes it just produces debilitating stomach cramps. Forced vomiting can cause burst blood vessels in the eyes and a ruptured esophagus (although rare). The ipecac is also unpredictable - it may take 5 minutes or 1 hour. WHY would this be preferable to diarrhea? And if you actually knew that you were about to eat something that causes diarrhea, why eat it?

We do have that here in the US, it used to be advised to be kept in all homes with small children. It's not anymore. Many poisons ingested accidentally in the household do worse damage coming back up then just staying an extra 20-30 minutes in the stomach until the hospital can use a charcoal based preperation to pump it out.

A lot of chemicals even have a warning on them that says "If ingested - do not induce vomitting!"

The stuff is nasty and will not help with any sort of traveler's flu situation. try taking some probiotic pills before and during travel and stick to bottled water and avoid foods prepared with water (soup, drinks) in restuaraunts. Also, I have heard you can take immodium before and during travel to prevent any sickness from occurring.

I am not sure where you are travelling to, different people are affected by different areas. Here in the US, we generally get ill when drinking water while in Mexico, India and Africa. Probably common areas throughout the world to get sick.

cross barer

Quote Wildflower
    A lot of chemicals even have a warning on them that says "If ingested - do not induce vomitting!"
    That's for corrosives like caustic soda or battery acid, which burn the cells of the oesophagus.

Quote adam antichrist
    That's for corrosives like caustic soda or battery acid, which burn the cells of the oesophagus.
    Right, which applies to a lot of the poisons kids ingest and one of the reasons they are doing away with syrup of ipecac.

that stuff is a bad bad idea. It's really bad for you(although I can't remember the deatils so maybe I'm not much help!).
    A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs.
    - Proverbs 12:10

Exclamation Re: ipecac

very, very, very bad idea!

live with your upset stomach!

"Ipecac’s sole purpose is to facilitate vomiting in an individual who has ingested poison or overdosed on medication. The use of Ipecac is for a single use, and the intent is for Ipecac syrup to never to be used on multiple occasions."
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller