Thread: Who needs a lawn, anyway?

Question Who needs a lawn, anyway?

Interesting and serious article here from the E-magazine: http://www.emagazine.com/view/?2476
    Eve

Seaside

Default Re: Who needs a lawn, anyway?

Thanks for the link, eve. Here is one American who hates lawns! We actually have home owner's associations that will take people to court and sue them if they try to remove their lawns and plant something natural and drought-resistant. I remember a former neighbor who, upon moving in to the house next door to mine, proceeded to completely remove the beautiful natural landscaping and put in grass. After it was done he said to me "Now it looks like a real house!"

Yes I've met people like that in the country, who have cut down the native trees to grow pasture for running cows, and like your experience, the farmer said to me "doesn't that look great" - and it was just fields of grass!
    Eve

I hate lawns, if we ever own a house (when pigs fly), I want it just to be a meadow. I saw a house recently who hadn't mowed their lawn in ages and it was just a lovely, little suburban meadow with butterflies twittering around.

Then they cut all the grass. Grrr.

I look forward to no longer living in the city. My husband and I have made our plans toward retiring in the mountains. I mean to look for land which can be left in its natural state. *happy sigh*

Gliondrach

Lawns are just green deserts. Not much use to wildlife. Great for croquet and bowls, though. If possible, grow a meadow. It only needs to be cut 2 or 3 times a year. It is labour intensive to get it started but after that it almost takes care of itself. A little bit of grass can be kept short so that dandelions and dog daisies can grow - they need short grass. Once it's established it will be a haven for all sorts of wildlife. Make sure that you only grow native species that are indigenous to your area and soil type.