Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Food you eat really often?

Question Food you eat really often?

Since the 'What did you eat today'-thread has become so popular (10 pages so far!), here's another variation: What do you eat really often, like, daily or several times a week?

My current breakfast hang-up is dark rye/sunflower bread with tahini, Streich (see below), cherry tomatoes, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts and avocado. Sometimes I add a little olive oil with fresh garlic.
    Last edited by Korn; Oct 8th, 2009 at 08:25 AM.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

i eat toast and fries really often LOL

I like a thick layer of avocado on a slice of grainy bread, with a thin spread of miso, and tomato slices on top. If I'm out of avocado, I spread some home made homas instead of the avocado.

Smile

- oatmeal
    - sandwiches (with avocado and tomato)
    - bananas
    - medjool dates
    - brown rice
    - dhal

Oatmeal

Pineapple

Strawberries

Apples

Burritos

Hummus (w/ pita and veggies)

Guacamole

dark chocolate
    earl grey tea
    figs
    thai chilli rice crackers

One of my favourite breakfast foods that I regularly eat is toasted organic bread from my local organic grocery store. They have many vegan variations and so far my favourite is the multi-seed sourdough. After I toast it, I put Earth Balance Spread and Strawberry Jam on it. Yum!

• Bagels (even though I do take bagel breaks every now and then)
    • almond butter
    • peanut butter
    • pita bread
    • odwalla peanut butter chocolate chip bars (well I went through a phase... not eating them as frequently now)
    • cereal (raisin bran)
    • chocolate (not every day... but typically at least once a week)
    • coffee
    • apples

• Bananas
    • Cashew nuts
    • Marmite

And every day from here, as I've just bought a top juicer, I'll be juicing some combination of fruit and veg.

dark rye/sunflower bread
    Yes, I like that too - it's mostly imported from Germany so I don't know where that leaves me on the foodmiles though! What is Streich made of, Korn?

We usually have some form of cabbage or broccoli most days, but apart from that it depends what fruit and veg are in season.

We get through a lot of yeast extract too, but we've switched from Marmite to Natex, which is lower in salt.

Mmmmmmm yeast extract.

GO VEGEMITE!!!
    Roxy

Smile

Mmmmm...I looove vegemite, in fact. I am eating a vegemite sandwich as we speak!!!

what is vegemite?

I prefer marmite because sometimes vegemite is not vegan!
    foxytina, it is a spread, almost black in colour, that is made from yeast, plus herbs, spices, minerals, vitamins, and derivatives of soy, barley, and wheat. It is salty, and is delicious on homas or avocado.

BTW Banana, the reason I said that sometimes vegemite is not vegan, is because the manufacturers of vegemite, use those same pans to make meat spreads, for 6 months of the year. In both cases, the products refer to Australian manufacture - could be different in the UK and elsewhere.

Just about every day I eat whole wheat bread sprinkled with nutritional yeast with flaxseed oil over it.

By the way, how many of youz are down with Omega-3?

Yuck Eve - are you kidding me!?! I'm just wondering though - just because vegemite is cooked in the same pan as a meat product - does that mean it is contaminated? I'm sure they would thoroughly clean their pans before re-using them to make vegemite. But then again I could be wrong.

Is there somewhere I can read about this. How did you find out about it?

Roxy

Quote eve
    foxytina, it is a spread, almost black in colour, that is made from yeast, plus herbs, spices, minerals, vitamins, and derivatives of soy, barley, and wheat.
    mmm sounds delicious, with the barely and wheat i cant eat it tho! and is marmite the same thing?

Quote John
    By the way, how many of youz are down with Omega-3?
    i try to keep my O3:O6 ratio in check but it's hard... i often crave fish & i think it must be cuz i'm not getting enough o3's....

as far as stuff i eat all the time:

burritos, scrambled tofu w/ veggies & lots of fruit

Quote eve
    I prefer marmite because sometimes vegemite is not vegan!
    I'm a marmite fan myself, I used to have countless arguments on why it was better than vegemite with an Australian mate of mine, haha

I've even got a Marmite fridge magnet!

Avocados
    Nutritional Yeast (in stuff)
    Brown rice
    Refried beans

Quote Banana
    Mmmmm...I looove vegemite, in fact. I am eating a vegemite sandwich as we speak!!!
    Slightly off the topic, but what do you put on your vegemite sandwich?

Smile

Nothing...just plain vegemite!!!! When I was just veggie, I always liked vegemite and cheese...very Australian. They even have Kraft Vegemite cheese slices here...but they are not even vegetarian (rennet)

As a child, I think my brother used to love vegemite just as much as you do today Banana!

He would eat vegemite and cheese and vegemite and lettuce. Even vegemite and honey was big in our house!

I remember when we were both little, I would go into his room to wake him up in the morning and give him a cuddle. He would smell like vegemite because he'd eaten so much of it lol.

Roxy

Roxy, you said "just because vegemite is cooked in the same pan as a meat product - does that mean it is contaminated? I'm sure they would thoroughly clean their pans before re-using them to make vegemite." You asked how I found out about it.

I got the info from a website where people go to check if products are kosher. As the pans used by Kraft for vegemite contain meat for 6 months of the year, that makes it non-kosher. This may not bother people who are not interested in kosher/non-kosher, but if they consider the pans contaminated by meat, well that's good enough for me!

Kraft Vegemite is suitable 6 months of the year - check if there′s a K by the use-by date - if so it's OK.

Thanks for that info Eve. I buy my vegemite here in Canada, but it is made, and imported from Australia. I just peeled the Canadian import label off my bottle to reveal the original Aussie label. There is no "K" by the used by date, however in bold it says "suitable for vegetarians". I will keep a look out, for that "K" though - that's very interesting. I would prefer to purchase kosher vegemite - perhaps when I find it I can purchase a large jar - because vegemite never goes off.

Roxy

Slightly off topic, a Kraft animation. http://www.krafty.org/flash/ Marmite rules.

ConsciousCuisine

Here is what I do regularly that is kinda like a vegemite sandwich...it has that whole fermented-yeasty thing going on...

1 t. unpasteurized dark red miso
    1 ripe avocado
    1 T. Red Star Nutritional Yeast
    1/2 t. each onion/garlic powder (or fresh onion and garlic that has been finely minced)
    1 t. Veganaise or raw, cold pressed oil
    a dash of cayenne

(I make this as a "live" dish and put fresh onion and garlic that has been finely minced and use avocado oil or olive oil instead of Veganaise)

mash the avocado and mix all the rest together. Spread on toast or crackers with sliced tomato or fill lettuce leaves with this and make a lettuce wrap with sprouts and whatever chopped raw veggies you'd like!

My daughter LOVES this, and her favorite breakfast is "avocado toast" (this spread on essene or sprouted sesame ezekiel bread)

We also love young coconuts! We regularly eat one a few times a week and one daily when we are 100% raw. Nothing beats a baby coconut!

Hmmmmm - the more I learn about Kraft - the more it discourages me from purchasing vegemite. Does Marmite taste about the same?

Roxy

Food I eat really often? Indian veg curry with brown rice, beans, lentils or chickpeas and a big greenish salad.

Veggie dogs with ketchup and soy cheese on it

and oranges, i love fruit.
    In the forest, in the night
    Underneath the full moonlight
    She’s always there
    Nature’s child in the woodland air
    Fade into the dream
    And when your heart is filled with fear
    Close your eyes for she is here
    She’s always there
    The stars shine in her raven hair
    Fade into the dream

Smile

Quote Roxy
    Hmmmmm - the more I learn about Kraft - the more it discourages me from purchasing vegemite. Does Marmite taste about the same?
    Roxy
    Yes, very similar, but I prefer Marmite. My daughter prefers Promite which is also vegan. The last time I went to visit her in the US, I took some along at her request. Now, after searching the web, I found a place for her to buy Promite by mail from a city not too far away from where she lives.

i looove raw carrots dipped in hummus, try not to eat it every day but i would if i could!

i usually eat organic muesli for breakfast, i eat bananas nearly every day, i also eat a lot of apples, carrots, peas and sweetcorn, onions and garlic (nice breath!). the whole Marmite thing's confusing me as i like it a lot but the parent company that owns it seems dodgy

i also eat a lot of tofu, pasta, curry (especially dhal) and beans.

Thanks Eve

I'm pretty sure that I can buy Marmite here - so when my vegemite runs out, I am going to buy a jar of that instead. I'll let you know how it goes

Roxy

Smile

Gorilla, I love dhal too...How do you make yours?

...I also usually eat bananas every day!

i have two wonderful dhal recipes, one for just spiced lentils and another for mixed vegetable dal. they're both from the Vegan Feasts cookbook by Rose Elliot. i love to eat them with basmati rice and tomato and onion salad

Smile

I have a split pea dhal and a red lentil dhal - both are spiced slightly different. Because I eat them so often (coz its cheap and relatively quick), I like to vary it, so I will add chickpeas or pumpkin or potatoes or something. I have it with brown rice and a salad made from tomato, cucumber, spring onion and coriander with lemon juice!!!!

marmite for me vegemite has a kind of funny aftertaste

I eat brown rice, tahini, avocado, green salad and garlic almost every day - in form or another.

granola for breakfast almost every single day
    watermelon almost every day during the summer
    brown rice several times a week
    tomato sandwiches almost everyday when I get them free from a coworker's garden
    corn on the cob several times a week when it's in peak season

i am really bad about getting on food kicks and eating a particular group of foods over and over until I get burned out.

Quote Gorilla
    i have two wonderful dhal recipes, one for just spiced lentils and another for mixed vegetable dal. they're both from the Vegan Feasts cookbook by Rose Elliot. i love to eat them with basmati rice and tomato and onion salad
    Get 'em posted then!

Wow! I had no idea you could use vegemite in sandwiches and stuff!
    We just bought our first jar last month from a UK food delivery, but thought it was only for sauces. So we've been disappointed... Can't wait to try a vegemite sandwich now

About what food I eat, I usually go through obcessive phases. Once it's passed, I can't remember what I ate (no, I'm not a lunatic, promise! )

At the moment, it's green lentil sandwich. We tried it by coincidence, and now it's a quick lunch favorite! 2 slices of wholewheat toast bread, vegan margarine or vegan mayo (homemade is best!) on one slice, and ketchup on the other slice. A thick layer of (slightly over-)boiled green lentils in between.

Quote Sofia
    About what food I eat, I usually go through obcessive phases. Once it's passed, I can't remember what I ate (no, I'm not a lunatic, promise! )
    i do that too LOL. right now mine is fries

I am all for things that I can cook in one pot,the thing i would eat most often is a lentil savoury 'mince'. Three quarters cook the lentils then fry some onion, add the lentils and a tin or two of diced tomato,and whatever vegetables you have. Simmer until the lentils are tender. Yummy. If Im feeling especially industrious, Ill add come cooked chickpeas and beans and serve it on a bed of brown rice.

Talking What do you have a thing for?

I have a sweet tooth...and at the moment I am really into dates - well date anything - majool dates, chinese red dates, date spread, date and almond logs, date and coconut logs, date slices, date and walnut cake....just to name a few

My boyfriend loves his savoury stuff - he has a thing for chips (crisps), corn chips and these things we have in Australia called barbecue shapes (not vegan). I guess they are just savoury biscuits.

I also go through strawberry jam on toast phases, avocado phases and in the summer I really get into the mangos. How I miss mangos!!!!

jam doughnuts!

why oh why did my 'animal free shopper' have to mention that tesco doughnuts are vegan. the bastards!

*getting fat*

i'm totally a soy milk-with-wholewheat-bread-fan! and when i put some bitter cocoa powder into soy milk, it tastes even better... i could sell my mother for it! ..(of course i'm joking! )...

and not to forget 99% bitter chocolate.... mmmmm

i go thru phases too. i go thru pasta phases, fry, chip, orange phases....
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Eggplant and side salads. I just love them!
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

simply apples and bananas during the week and ice lollies at weekends. Plus plenty of ripe blackberries in the field hedges at the moment.
    Be yourself

wuggy

Homous with anything, especially peanuts. Homemade carrot cake, melons, and Veggie Ribs.

I can't get enough (unfrosted) cinnamon pop tarts and kale. but not together.